WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Video of my dad............... Hanggliding...

Yellowboat

Reaction score
[video=youtube;v4osQHWlAxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4osQHWlAxU[/video]

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Cool video, brings back memories.:cool:

When is the YellowBoat taking to the skies? :beer

rrrr

Reaction score
Good times back in the day......had lots of 2-3 hour flights soaring up to 12-14,000' MSL over the Sandias in Albuquerque.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Nice video. Kudos to your Dad. :thumbsup :cool:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Great video. :thumbsup

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Very cool video, my first job was building gliders at Delta Wing. I flew a couple of times back in the day.

rrrr

Reaction score
Very cool video, my first job was building gliders at Delta Wing. I flew a couple of times back in the day.

Did you know Irv Alward, big red haired guy with a beard?

rrrr

Reaction score
Is Irv related to the guy who plays the school janitor on the Simpsons?

No Tom, that's Groundskeeper Willie. There certainly are some strange associations tumbling around in your head.......:D

Attachments

• willy.jpg
    willy.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 62

JLT

Reaction score
Doesn't ring a bell, I worked there from 1981-1985

Yeah, I know this is an old thread, but...

Irv was Larry's office manager and gofer when I was at Electra Flyer, from the Spring of 1978 to the fall of 1980. Tall guy, red hair and beard. Mostly did dealer rep, with some test flying. I think he left EF under a cloud after he finally succumbed to desert madness and stole one of EF's vehicles and tried to make a run for the border (or, at least, that's the story I heard). Irv was a nice guy, able to calm Larry down more often than not.

If anybody knows how to get in touch with him, let me know.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score

Irv was Larry's office manager and gofer when I was at Electra Flyer, from the Spring of 1978 to the fall of 1980. Tall guy, red hair and beard. Mostly did dealer rep, with some test flying. I think he left EF under a cloud after he finally succumbed to desert madness and stole one of EF's vehicles and tried to make a run for the border (or, at least, that's the story I heard). Irv was a nice guy, able to calm Larry down more often than not.

Send yellowboat a message. He’s a straight shooter and would never tell a lie or make up stories.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Or the salt. Got to have salt. 🤣

rrrr

Reaction score

I built the sail loft in the factory and some other work for Larry. Irv was my flying mentor, his head was screwed on straight and I really admired him. Just the other day I was thinking about my first unassisted no wind cliff launch off of La Bajada ridge, I was a bit uneasy about it. Irv and I walked over to the edge, and he talked me through what I needed to do.

An unassisted no wind cliff launch is a pretty big step up. You basically pick up the kite, take a deep breath, and run off the cliff as fast as possible. The kite drops like a rock for what seems to be forever, and you have to resist the urge to push the nose up. If you don't, a stall and a long ride down the side of the cliff is coming your way.

I've asked around over the years but never have been able to locate him.

After EF went broke, Larry went back to Part 121 flying, ended up as a 757 captain at America West. He died from cancer years ago at a young age. Larry was tough to get along with, but I never had any problems with him.

All this was so many years ago. I have good and bad memories of flying. Had some great adventures, but lost some good friends along the way.

Nordie

Reaction score
Kind of weird of the Hangliding ties with yellowboat's dad, and that you guys joined the site only a day apart.

JLT

Reaction score
An unassisted no wind cliff launch is a pretty big step up. You basically pick up the kite, take a deep breath, and run off the cliff as fast as possible. The kite drops like a rock for what seems to be forever, and you have to resist the urge to push the nose up. If you don't, a stall and a long ride down the side of the cliff is coming your way.

I remember "Lotta Hard Rock!" I flew there a few times. At the end of the "ramp" somebody had put a big stone with the words "PUSH OUT" written on it. Whatever airspeed you'd achieved by then was all you were going to get.

One of my takeoffs there was a no wind takeoff, and I had many others elsewhere. The most interesting was a two-step cliff launch at some site in California. It was ... interesting.