WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Texas Sux

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
So don't any of you chumps think of moving here.

Havasu house just sold, going on an interview Thursday and as soon as I land a job out here I think we are moving.

So don't any of you think of making this sucky place worse.

screaming pete

Reaction score
moving to Texas? I've been going to Dallas monthly checking it out...North Dallas is booming in development and headquarters moving there

She's Mine

Reaction score
Been thinking of moving to Austin. Just waiting for the kids to get a little older then I might be out of here.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
I found a couple ranches in Hubbard, TX I was interested in. I have to go by myself though... The rest of the family isn't into it.

Ryph

copterzach

Reaction score

Havasu house just sold, going on an interview Thursday and as soon as I land a job out here I think we are moving.

Where in Texas?

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Where in Texas?

Austin area. My brother moved last year and my parents are moving now. In escrow. We are looking outside in real Texas though. Some land and away from the liberals. Gotta run down to Hondo on Thursday for test. Probably going to do San Antonio one day.

At Capitol now. Had to run and put gun in my truck. CHL bypass lane is only for Texas CHL. [emoji22]

Sooooo over California.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll be joining you in about 18 months...Dallas area

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
moving to Texas? I've been going to Dallas monthly checking it out...North Dallas is booming in development and headquarters moving there

Yep. Been looking at the south for a looong time. Brother moved here and with my parents moving it kinda makes it hard to go somewhere else. Also job market is better here.

copterzach

Reaction score
Austin area. My brother moved last year and my parents are moving now. In escrow. We are looking outside in real Texas though. Some land and away from the liberals. Gotta run down to Hondo on Thursday for test. Probably going to do San Antonio one day.

At Capitol now. Had to run and put gun in my truck. CHL bypass lane is only for Texas CHL. [emoji22]

Sooooo over California.

Around Hondo is nice. A friend of mine that is also a helicopter pilot is a realtor in Hondo. I can hook yall up if ur interested in that area. I am from Utopia which is about an hour northwest of Hondo.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Around Hondo is nice. A friend of mine that is also a helicopter pilot is a realtor in Hondo. I can hook yall up if ur interested in that area. I am from Utopia which is about an hour northwest of Hondo.

Testing in Hondo. Not living there. May consider working there and look to live around Wimberly or San Marcos. Don't want to be too far from family. Figure I can split the difference. Have an agent already for the Austin area.

If Feds call me back then I might have to go live up in Abilene. But it would be worth it for that job. State job I can choose where I go.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
My step-daughter & son-in-law live in Kyle, which is around 15-20 miles give or take from San Marcos one direction & Wimberly another... nice country up there, its growing like crazy I hear. Have some friends on Canyon Lake, which is also close by. Maybe we will see you on the water somewhere after you're all settled in. :thumbup: :cool

pronstar

Reaction score
3 hours away but we can start some Texas RDP regattas. Been talking to Stickman07 who's around this area and helped with some questions. Then copterzach down south and Ole Tex in Houston.

Let's throw some tactical shooting into the mix as well, maybe some Heli-hog shooting with Copterzach, too :thumbup:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Testing in Hondo. Not living there. May consider working there and look to live around Wimberly or San Marcos. Don't want to be too far from family. Figure I can split the difference. Have an agent already for the Austin area.

If Feds call me back then I might have to go live up in Abilene. But it would be worth it for that job. State job I can choose where I go.

San Marcos is very nice.....Canyon Lake is beautiful and lots of choices for homes and/or a little acreage. But the Hill Country is growing fast.

Sandlord

Reaction score
Texas is closed,
But I will be selling my San Antonio area home later this year.

Attachments

• RedMulch.jpg
    RedMulch.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 51
  • byard2 cropped.jpg
    byard2 cropped.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 73

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Let's throw some tactical shooting into the mix as well, maybe some Heli-hog shooting with Copterzach, too :thumbup:

For sure. I've been getting my NRA certs and plan to supplement my income with that out here. Stockman has an FFL.

And hell yeah I want to run up in the whirlybird with zach. That would be awesome.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
San Marcos is very nice.....Canyon Lake is beautiful and lots of choices for homes and/or a little acreage. But the Hill Country is growing fast.

Yeah I know. A little bit of concern but it is being offset by family. I don't plan on living near any big city.

Sandlord

Reaction score
Damn. Is that single story? How many acres? How much? And where exactly is it?

Single story, 3000 sq ft, 3/4 acre. gated community. About 5 miles outside of the 1604 loop.

Downside, HOA, 2 car garage. no RV parking allowed. (but I do have my enclosed trailer in the back yard)
Google map. 3515 Ravens ranch, 78253
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3515+Ravens+Ranch,+San+Antonio,+TX+78253/@29.470728,-98.763325,95m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x865c41915e31569f:0xd6877ea14f20e256

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Single story, 3000 sq ft, 3/4 acre. gated community. About 5 miles outside of the 1604 loop.

Downside, HOA, 2 car garage. no RV parking allowed. (but I do have my enclosed trailer in the back yard)
Google map. 3515 Ravens ranch, 78253
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3515+Ravens+Ranch,+San+Antonio,+TX+78253/@29.470728,-98.763325,95m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x865c41915e31569f:0xd6877ea14f20e256

Thanks but yeah not for me. 3/4 acre won't cut it. Pad looks nice and pool. [emoji106]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
So for you Texans... If you had a choice of Central Texas (Temple, Belton, Waco etc or Abilene what would you do?

Abilene has a fantastic school district for the kids and the dollar goes a lot further. Central Texas will be closer to my family in Austin but harder to find some good schools. And also a little close to liberal Austin.

Help a brotha out here. If Feds call in going Abilene no matter what and commuting to Big Spring. If I get State (highly likely) I can kinda pick geography.

Hardest thing leaving California is our kids are in an amazing school (minus the forced common core garbage) and our church is fantastic. Good friends will come visit and be a phone call away and we'll meet new friends out there.

72Hondo

Reaction score
Abilene would be the biggest city out of all of them. We fly into temple and waco and there's not much to them. I've driven through Waco in about 6 mins.

I head Abilene has great schools and a good college.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Abilene would be the biggest city out of all of them. We fly into temple and waco and there's not much to them. I've driven through Waco in about 6 mins.

I head Abilene has great schools and a good college.

Yeah looks like you can get land and stuff north of Abilene in county land but still be in the Wylie school district. If no family is probably just shoot for that. But I can do central if I can find good schools. I don't need a big city. Trying to get away from California and big city problems. Trying to find the best of both worlds I guess.

72Hondo

Reaction score
Lol big city problems are not that big out here. It's county just about everywhere, except downtown Dallas. That's like being in downtown LA. I moved from CA 4 years ago, the two don't even compare in so many ways. I have been out to farms in winnsboro (easy Texas) some of the most relaxing times I have ever had!

pronstar

Reaction score
If you're thinking about Waco, see if you can get on that show "Fixer Upper", and let the production company offset some of your costs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428467748.487347.jpg

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Lol big city problems are not that big out here. It's county just about everywhere, except downtown Dallas. That's like being in downtown LA. I moved from CA 4 years ago, the two don't even compare in so many ways. I have been out to farms in winnsboro (easy Texas) some of the most relaxing times I have ever had!

No but I'm just not sure. I've only been to DFW in the airport. Austin was too city for me. My brother lives in a master planned community and that's where my parents are going. So many transplants and neighborhood popping up where people live on top of one another. Saw quite a few gay folks. No nothing compared to LA or Hollywood but certainly compared to out here and what we are wanting to get away from. Just thinking it will be much more citified in 10 years.

Also prices stunk. Too high especially with the high property tax. I'm trying to start over and state corrections doesn't pay much to start. Good thing I have a degree and will be taking all the OT I can get. And good thing my wife is an RN.

Didn't get to go North of Austin but seems like it would be nice. Stickman07 gave me some tips and looking around it seems better up that way. Just need good schools and find a good deal on real estate. Seems like lake options are better too and closer to hill country. Then again Abilene would be closer to real mountains.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
If you're thinking about Waco, see if you can get on that show "Fixer Upper", and let the production company offset some of your costs.

View attachment 400710

Might have to look into that. If that's the show where the husband and wife renovate houses that then go for like three times the price the. My wife loves it and is always telling me about it. Keeps saying we should call them. Waco doesn't seem to have the greatest schools though and I'm hearing talk about meth...

Might have to talk to stickman07's realtor buddies. The guy we have now is great but an Austin guy and his MLS doesn't go much further than Georgetown.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We drove across Texas on the I 20 about 7 years ago.
Right after the floods it was like driving across a big lake on some long stretches.

Where on and off ramps had washed out the state wasted no time in re grading the ramps and dropping down and flattening asphalt. Under a week all along the I 20 temp fixed, no detours and it worked.

In Cali it would have been over a year before they ever got around to even starting to fix it all.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've never been to Abilene but heard it's quite nice. Don't care for Temple. Waco seems pretty cool if you get the right area and has great lakes to the north. Austin is chaos but some outlying small towns are pretty comfortable. Lots of folks retiring to or just moving to the Colorado River (LCRA) "Chain of Lakes" areas NW of Austin. Should be some very good schools up that way from what I've heard. And better boating is hard to find anywhere.

I have a friend retiring in Smithville area south of Austin near Bastrop. Pretty nice area with rolling hills and live oaks type forest. Beautiful area.

College Station-Bryan area is very nice and excellent schools.

The thing about TX, you can get close to a metro area and find some nice small towns far enough away to not have to deal with the daily rush.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I've never been to Abilene but heard it's quite nice. Don't care for Temple. Waco seems pretty cool if you get the right area and has great lakes to the north. Austin is chaos but some outlying small towns are pretty comfortable. Lots of folks retiring to or just moving to the Colorado River (LCRA) "Chain of Lakes" areas NW of Austin. Should be some very good schools up that way from what I've heard. And better boating is hard to find anywhere.

I have a friend retiring in Smithville area south of Austin near Bastrop. Pretty nice area with rolling hills and live oaks type forest. Beautiful area.

College Station-Bryan area is very nice and excellent schools.

The thing about TX, you can get close to a metro area and find some nice small towns far enough away to not have to deal with the daily rush.

Thanks. If I go Central It looks like I'll be stationed in Gatesville or Marlin. Don't really want to commute more than an hour. And I mean flat open driving commute. No traffic commute or I'll be on the other side of the bars.

BajaMike

Reaction score

Austin is great, spent 4 years there working and just moved back. No state income taxes but the property taxes are very high, probably twice what California is for residential property. Everything else is much cheaper than Cali.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Was searching today to see if we go for Abilene. Schools are a big deal for us. But wanted lakes too. Saw Possum Kingdom Lake and was sold. Going to add up that way to my availability and see what happens.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We drove across Texas on the I 20 about 7 years ago.
Right after the floods it was like driving across a big lake on some long stretches.

Where on and off ramps had washed out the state wasted no time in re grading the ramps and dropping down and flattening asphalt. Under a week all along the I 20 temp fixed, no detours and it worked.

In Cali it would have been over a year before they ever got around to even starting to fix it all.
Lol...got to make sure there aren't any white headed black ants during mating season first.[emoji1]

rrrr

Reaction score
screaming pete said:

Here's what is going on in Texas:

The petroleum industry accounts for just 11% of Texas' economy. That's down from over 40% just before the last collapse in oil prices in the 1980s.

State Farm is moving into a $1.5 billion complex in Richardson, just south of Plano. Moving into Plano in the next two years: Toyota, 4,000 jobs. Toyota suppliers/subcontractors, 2,000 jobs. FedEx, 2,000 jobs. Liberty Mutual, 5,000 jobs. Hilti North America, 1,500 jobs. That's all in just one suburb of Dallas with a population of 270,000. I won't bother enumerating the huge number of tech jobs being generated in the Austin area. There has been over 3 million square feet of data center facilities built in the area since 2012.

Just over 100,000 people move to Texas every month.

Then there are these interesting facts:

Since the recession began in December 2007, 1.2 million net jobs have been created in Texas. Only 700,000 net jobs have been created in the other 49 states combined. The remarkable employment growth in Texas looks even bigger considering its size relative to the rest of the U.S. Total non-farm employment has grown by 11.5 percent in Texas since December 2007. Employment in the rest of the United States has grown only 0.6 percent. Until September 2014, total employment growth in the rest of the United States since December 2007 was still negative.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/texas-job-growth-outpaces-rest-of-u.s.-combined/article/2557660

So Obama wouldn't have much to brag about without Texas, would he?

The unemployment rate in Texas is 4.4%. Between February 2014 and February 2015, Texas total nonfarm employment increased by 357,300 jobs or 3.13 percent.

Here's a snippet from Wikipedia:

The economy of Texas is one of the largest economies in the United States. As of 2013, Texas is home to six of the top 50 companies on the Fortune 500 list and 51 overall, (third most after New York and California). In 2012, Texas grossed more than $264.7 billion a year in exports, more than exports of California ($161.9 billion) and New York ($81.4 billion) combined. As a sovereign country (in 2012), Texas would be the 14th largest economy in the world by GDP (ahead of South Korea and the Netherlands).

In 2011,Texas had a gross state product of $1.332 trillion, the second highest in the U.S. Texas's household income was $48,259 in 2010 ranking 25th in the nation. The state debt in 2012 was calculated to be $121.7 billion, or $7,400 per taxpayer. Texas has the second largest population in the country after California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Texas

In 2015 Texas manufacturing exports totaled $30.2 billion, the most in the United States. California was in second place with $16.1 billion.

We have a balanced budget, a huge surplus in the rainy day fund, and the per capita state debt is among the lowest in the country.

And to top it all off, the lakes are filling up. It has rained a bunch in the last three months, the lake I go to has risen 9 feet since February 21st. We got 2.4 inches of rain last night, the lake has gone up up 3 inches so far today. It's almost at normal pool. It's the same all over North Texas.

rrrr

Reaction score
Was searching today to see if we go for Abilene. Schools are a big deal for us. But wanted lakes too. Saw Possum Kingdom Lake and was sold. Going to add up that way to my availability and see what happens.

There aren't any lakes close to Abilene but the schools are good. My younger brother works for the regional school system in that area.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I was in El Paso today, wouldn't want to live in El Paso but they have a vibrant economy.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
There aren't any lakes close to Abilene but the schools are good. My younger brother works for the regional school system in that area.

Phantom Hollow is right there but looks like a mudpit. About an hour away is Lake Brownwood and about an hour and a half is Possum Kingdom which looks ridiculously awesome. I'd rather be a half hour but 1.5 to the lake is still within say tripping and certainly not bad to take the RV for the weekend. Little bit of a trade off for the Wylie school district and to be more in real Texas and not CaliTexia.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I love Austin!

Cool to visit but don't want to live there. A little north from Salado to Waco would probably be great but we just can't get over the schools.

One of the hard things about leaving here is that our kids school (minus the common core garbage) is awesome. People clawing to get their kids in.