WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A few things I found today

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Nice pics Greg. :thumbup:

They have been talking about the old towns that are coming up at Folsom on the news. I love those pictures of that old stuff.

We had some old monuments re-surfacing at Shasta last year too. Old train tunnels, train bridges, highway bridges, etc.

Don't they have a guard tower for Folsom prison near the water??

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Is that a High 5 prop? What size is it? (no it's not mine...just curious).
It was a Mercury Maximus 34p 5 Blade with the prop shaft still stuck in it. At first I thought...Sweet, I just found a $1000 prop! And then I realized there weren't many boats in this area that could pull a prop that big and then it dawned on me that it was more than likely my friend Toby's who had lost it 2-3 years previously. I called him to ask him about where he lost it on the lake and where he told me was about where I found it so I cleaned it up and gave it back to him. This is the same friend that passed away in the Skater crash on Folsom.
Don't they have a guard tower for Folsom prison near the water??
I don't know if Folsom Prison actually has a guard tower overlooking the lake. I know they have one below the dam on the river... I know this because I paddled a little too close to it one time. See pics below. The dam is also heavily guarded.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Keep the pics coming man. Still think that lake should be hogged out and made much deeper. Do they still throw left over Xmas trees in it for the Bass?

GRADS

Reaction score
Keep the pics coming man. Still think that lake should be hogged out and made much deeper. Do they still throw left over Xmas trees in it for the Bass?

I agree that they should do some much needed work to the lake, beaches and ramps while it is this low. I remember as i'm sure you do the beach at Beals Point was a nice sandy beach, now it's just weeds and dirt.

That's funny about the Christmas tree thing, I forgot all about that. I haven't seen that happen in quite a few years.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
It was a Mercury Maximus 34p 5 Blade with the prop shaft still stuck in it. At first I thought...Sweet, I just found a $1000 prop! And then I realized there weren't many boats in this area that could pull a prop that big and then it dawned on me that it was more than likely my friend Toby's who had lost it 2-3 years previously. I called him to ask him about where he lost it on the lake and where he told me was about where I found it so I cleaned it up and gave it back to him. This is the same friend that passed away in the Skater crash on Folsom.

I'm a little confused. Is this a prop he lost before the crash or a prop from it?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I don't know if Folsom Prison actually has a guard tower overlooking the lake. I know they have one below the dam on the river... I know this because I paddled a little too close to it one time. See pics below. The dam is also heavily guarded.

View attachment 442511

View attachment 442510

View attachment 442509

Haven't checked yet. A friend, Kevin Kraft, works at Folsom prison. You're probably friends with him on FB, right? Nevremind, I checked. :D

GRADS

Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Is this a prop he lost before the crash or a prop from it?

A prop that he lost when he owned his Formula. It sat at the bottom of Folsom for 2-3 years. I found it right before he bought the Skater and he passed away a couple months later.:cry:

GRADS

Reaction score
Haven't checked yet. A friend, Kevin Kraft, works at Folsom prison. You're probably friends with him on FB, right? Nevremind, I checked. :D

I know Kevin, he's a cool dude. Didn't know he worked at Folsom.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
A prop that he lost when he owned his Formula. It sat at the bottom of Folsom for 2-3 years. I found it right before he bought the Skater and he passed away a couple months later.:cry:

Thanks for the clarification.

I know Kevin, he's a cool dude. Didn't know he worked at Folsom.

He's been there for a couple years now.

FrznJim

Reaction score
So how many months until you have to give up the paddleboard and start walking the lakebed?

GRADS

Reaction score
So how many months until you have to give up the paddleboard and start walking the lakebed?

That will never happen. The lake in some spots is 250' deep. It's currently down 110'.

707dog

Reaction score
very cool grads, we were just talking last weekend about hitting berryessa and walking the shoreline under the first bridge...alot of stuff went overboard there including a chicks 25k wedding ring:yikes of course in the deep area. keep posting pics:thumbup:

GRADS

Reaction score
very cool grads, we were just talking last weekend about hitting berryessa and walking the shoreline under the first bridge...alot of stuff went overboard there including a chicks 25k wedding ring:yikes of course in the deep area. keep posting pics:thumbup:

I had a buddy's 10k wedding ring go overboard and Ms. Napanutt's phone and I knew the exact location. It was still impossible to find.

707dog

Reaction score
I had a buddy's 10k wedding ring go overboard and Ms. Napanutt's phone and I knew the exact location. It was still impossible to find.

bet the water gods are sitting around looking like mr T with all the jewelry lost, good thing brian's is such a nice hubby i'm sure he had a new one ordered before the boat was back on the trailer:rolleyes

GRADS

Reaction score
One other thing.... I forgot to mention the "pay dirt" ;) Don't forget the bottom of Folsom Lake used to be the American River which was the Gold capitol of the world.
IMG_6577.jpg

2Driver

Reaction score
Great thread. I could prospect all day and never get bored.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Great thread. I could prospect all day and never get bored.

I "helped" run a little home dredge and or sluice when I was a kid with some of my parents friends. Somewhere in Nor Cal, no idea where, I was probably 8-10. We were there for a week and I loved every minute of it. They found a couple big pieces, I kept a small piece they gave me for helping.

Good times as a kid.

phuggit

Reaction score
Have you tried tying off a gopro and dropping it down for photos?

Joker

Reaction score
Great thread Greg. Very interesting.[emoji106]

GRADS

Reaction score
Have you tried tying off a gopro and dropping it down for photos?

If you are talking about the well, then yes I have. Not with that well but the first one I found I did. I strapped a light to the GoPro and dropped it down. You can't see a whole lot but you can see that it opened up in a few places.....and there's a fish at 1:17 ;)

[video=youtube;a2vkkJ5VxW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vkkJ5VxW8[/video]

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
If you are talking about the well, then yes I have. Not with that well but the first one I found I did. I strapped a light to the GoPro and dropped it down. You can't see a whole lot but you can see that it opened up in a few places.....and there's a fish at 1:17 ;)

[video=youtube;a2vkkJ5VxW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vkkJ5VxW8[/video]
Do you have an idea of how deep you went with that video?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
It's that low and there are still places that are 250 feet deep? So how big is Folsom compaired to Havasu? Is it just that it has deep valleys?

GRADS

Reaction score
It's that low and there are still places that are 250 feet deep? So how big is Folsom compaired to Havasu? Is it just that it has deep valleys?

Here's a side by side comparison of Havasu and Folsom. There are hills around Folsom so that's why it's so deep. The deepest spots are a little over 250' deep. Right now maybe only 150' deep.

lake comparison.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Great thread... The best exploring like this at Lake Oroville is by Forman Creek...Unfortunately there is an Indian burial ground there... When the water goes down and the best exploring is available the tribes post guards... Can't get down and look around...

More2LifeThanMPG

Reaction score
Cool stuff!!
I was just I've there last week on business and drove around Folsom, crazy how low it is.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I was almost involved in one of the searches for the lost plane. A group of friends were going after it in a suspected radar hit last year. I had other commitments that day.

Hey Grads; Have you checked out the buoy in the center yet? I am in the middle of that experiment. Two teams working on it.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
I can't even count how many pairs of sunglasses I've lost in that lake. Did you find them? :rolleyes

Back in the day it was very common to sink your beer and soda cans. Me and my friends were Bud drinkers, back then we wouldn't touch a Coors.
Now that's all I drink is Coors, funny how things change.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I can't even count how many pairs of sunglasses I've lost in that lake. Did you find them? :rolleyes

Back in the day it was very common to sink your beer and soda cans. Me and my friends were Bud drinkers, back then we wouldn't touch a Coors.
Now that's all I drink is Coors, funny how things change.
A couple years ago when Naci got super low for the first time in a few years, my brothers and I were back in Las tablas cove and found about a dozen pairs of sunglasses. 1/2 were still on descent shape and useable.

I kept one pair of wild rainbow tie dyed style ones in my truck in case someone needed a pair. Well one day my buddy asked for them and my friend says "Holly shit, Kyle used to have a pair just like that. He lost them in the lake though." I asked where he lost them at and he told me in the middle of Las tablas cove. Those were his sunglasses we found about 4 years after he lost them.

GRADS

Reaction score
I was almost involved in one of the searches for the lost plane. A group of friends were going after it in a suspected radar hit last year. I had other commitments that day.

Hey Grads; Have you checked out the buoy in the center yet? I am in the middle of that experiment. Two teams working on it.

Involved in the search like diving? Some people say the plane went down on the Granite Bay side, some say El Dorado side. Have you heard anything? One of my buddies heads up the boat patrol for Placer County Sheriffs and uses all the top of the line search equipment including a little mini sub deal with a camera. Unfortunately I saw the stuff used first hand when we searched the lake for my friends for a week. Anyways, the equipment is pretty bad ass. I was thinking about calling him to see if they were going to get involved. Here's a few pics of the equipment.
FullSizeRender 35.jpg

FullSizeRender 33.jpg

FullSizeRender 34.jpg

As far as the buoy goes if you're talking about the one I think then yes I have. The first time I came up on it I saw all the hazard buoys and then something on it moved....it made me a little uneasy to say the least.:yikes I saw recently that they hung a sign on it with a website address. When will it be up and running? I'd loved to hear about what you guys are doing.

IMG_5407 2.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

cicchetti_24

Reaction score

View attachment 442511

View attachment 442510

View attachment 442509

Your buddies last name isn't Messer is it

j21black

Reaction score
Oh trust me, there's a lot more out there. There was the one time I found what I thought was a bomb but it turned out to be a military grade white phosphorous flare. Police, Rangers, bomb dogs and eventually the military got called in. When I told them I paddled with it on my board for 2 1/2 miles they looked at me like I was an idiot.

View attachment 442387

View attachment 442388

View attachment 442389

View attachment 442390

View attachment 442391

View attachment 442392

View attachment 442393

View attachment 442394

View attachment 442395

I think we need to be facebook friends...

j21black

Reaction score
Loved looking at all the pics....If I had time I fly out, by a paddleboard and explore it with you. Looks like fun!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yup, that is the one.....
I have an additional sticker with the California team's info on it to go on the other side. We just have not gotten out there recently to install. The moving parts won't bite, unless you screw with them........

That's an interesting little science project going there. We are attempting to measure the actual evaporation from the lake surface. (Trust me, its harder than it looks!)

Lots of lake managers all over the western US are very interested in what we are doing.

We also have a secondary station on the large peninsula to the north east.

GRADS

Reaction score
Yup, that is the one.....
I have an additional sticker with the California team's info on it to go on the other side. We just have not gotten out there recently to install. The moving parts won't bite, unless you screw with them........

That's an interesting little science project going there. We are attempting to measure the actual evaporation from the lake surface. (Trust me, its harder than it looks!)

Lots of lake managers all over the western US are very interested in what we are doing.

We also have a secondary station on the large peninsula to the north east.

Let me know if you want me to put the sticker on it. ;) ;) I'd love to read more about the project.

I'm guessing this is the secondary station. Like I said before, if there's something out there I will find it.:D

IMG_3338.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I posted this already but this was when I paddled over the first well (the one I sent the video camera down that was 60' deep). I was by myself on the lake and I have to admit that this creeped me out a little.:yikes

folsomwell1.jpg

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I posted this already but this was when I paddled over the first well (the one I sent the video camera down that was 60' deep). I was by myself on the lake and I have to admit that this creeped me out a little.:yikes

View attachment 443565

Looks like a nice place for Tim to move into. :p

Wish I had time to come down there. I would love to explore the lake. Keep up with the pics! :thumbup:

Buddy

Reaction score
Gonna be a dumb question, but what did the wells do?
This is an awesome thread, Thanks for posting.

GRADS

Reaction score
Gonna be a dumb question, but what did the wells do?
This is an awesome thread, Thanks for posting.

The first one (square well) I'm guessing was used for a house. I went back and found an aerial photo from 1952 before the lake was filled and pin pointed the location of the well and it looks to me there was a house there. They also flooded an entire town.

In the photo you can also see where the North Fork and South Fork American Rivers were.

well1.jpg

Seabass

Reaction score
So if a guy with some time, an rv, a paddle board but no boat went out there how much of this could he see? I got some time off and this looks like a cool cheap adventure/vacation.

GRADS

Reaction score
So if a guy with some time, an rv, a paddle board but no boat went out there how much of this could he see? I got some time off and this looks like a cool cheap adventure/vacation.

All of it. The lake is pretty much closed to boats so the only way to see this stuff is by paddleboard, kayak or canoe. Some of it on the El Dorado Hills side is accessible by hiking in.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Let me know if you want me to put the sticker on it. ;) ;) I'd love to read more about the project.

I'm guessing this is the secondary station. Like I said before, if there's something out there I will find it.:D

View attachment 443564

This would be the second station.......

The floating buoy is the interesting one. this land one is not as useful for lake evaporation especially now given the distance from the water. Again this is a cooperative effort so you sometimes end up going along with "extra" ideas just to keep everything else running.