WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A few things I found today

Mark C

Reaction score
set_mobile=offQUOTE=Seabass;2179566]So if a guy with some time, an rv, a paddle board but no boat went out there how much of this could he see? I got some time off and this looks like a cool cheap adventure/vacation.[/QUOTE]

Seabass, feel free to check out my group on meetup.com. It's free, and I take folks right to everything I know about out there. Mostly on the east and west sides by foot though. Just did Salmon Falls (bridge and town) last Saturday. There will be more scheduled as long as the lake is low, but get it before the rains make it muddy everywhere.

http://www.meetup.com/Folsom-Dry-Lake-Explorers/events/226319337/?set_mobile=off

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
So I'm here right now at the bottom of Folsom Lake and I found a gold mine!!!! It just keeps going and going from what I can see. What would you do? Take the chain link off and go down for a look?

GRADS

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446234295.428901.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446234308.934870.jpg

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
So I'm here right now at the bottom of Folsom Lake and I found a gold mine!!!! It just keeps going and going from what I can see. What would you do? Take the chain link off and go down for a look?

Maybe Todd Hoffman is down there looking for new ground????????:yikes

GRADS

Reaction score
Those in favor of ripping off the chain and going in to check it out win. ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446235084.280087.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446235102.219184.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
So I went down it part of the way. The walls were BLACK and some kind of smoke or gas started coming up...it was very strange. Also I started to slide down it. :yikes It scared the shit out of me because I was by myself.:yikes Needless to say I got the hell out and covered it back up. Next time I will go back with someone with me.

I tried to take a quick picture of the smoke or whatever it was but it was really dark.

FullSizeRender 38.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
You can see all the tailings from the mining operations popping out of the water. Remember this is from the Gold Rush era. :yikes

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6850.jpg

So I found 3 gold mines in total. Here's the other two. They had mostly caved in but I'm sure you could crawl into them if you wanted to....not me, last time I did that it didn't end well.

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

And ANOTHER well. Looked a lot like the other one.

IMG_6853.jpg

Poor jet boater.:cry::rolleyes

IMG_6856.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I am still surprised there is not more trash. I would have expected to see trash EVERYWHERE.

Very cool pictures.

GRADS

Reaction score
I am still surprised there is not more trash. I would have expected to see trash EVERYWHERE.

What do you call half a jet boat? Hell, a whole jet boat for that matter. :lmao ;)

milkmoney

Reaction score
If and when u go back down in the mine , I would go with some kind of breathing apparatus , due to a lot of gases being down there ( in the earth ).
I am posting this for ur lovely wife so she will see you again.

Me. Don't care [emoji12][emoji202]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So I went down it part of the way. The walls were BLACK and some kind of smoke or gas started coming up...it was very strange. Also I started to slide down it. :yikes It scared the shit out of me because I was by myself.:yikes Needless to say I got the hell out and covered it back up. Next time I will go back with someone with me.

I tried to take a quick picture of the smoke or whatever it was but it was really dark.

Fuck man. You one crazy boy.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What do you call half a jet boat? Hell, a whole jet boat for that matter. :lmao ;)

I call that.. "Here hold my beer!"

I just mean more general trash like the beer can you posted originally. It is a good thing there is not.

GRADS

Reaction score
I have a question. If I find some cool stuff should I post a new thread or just keep it all in this one? I know how some old threads get stale and quickly fall off the first page.

By the way, if you're keeping track at home the score is like Plane 237- Grads 0 :thumbsdown

The first part of the day I did paddle with someone that found me on RDP and he offered up some very valuable information about the location of the plane.:thumbup: Good guy....the power of RDP never ceases to amaze me.:yikes:thumbup::thumbup:

Sbarry

Reaction score
I have a question. If I find some cool stuff should I post a new thread or just keep it all in this one? I know how some old threads get stale and quickly fall off the first page.

By the way, if you're keeping track at home the score is like Plane 237- Grads 0 :thumbsdown

The first part of the day I did paddle with someone that found me on RDP and he offered up some very valuable information about the location of the plane.:thumbup: Good guy....the power of RDP never ceases to amaze me.:yikes:thumbup::thumbup:

Well I'm subscribed to this one. Seems pretty cool to have all this stuff in one place.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

I was wondering about that. That pic of half a boat looks like the one he had posted.

GRADS

Reaction score
Pretty cool video here if you want to see how low the lake is. Any area in the video that is tan or brown in color should be covered in water....lots of water. If you don't watch the whole video at least watch the 2:55 mark and look at the marina.

[video=youtube;KpkC9J2aHTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkC9J2aHTA[/video]

spectracular

Reaction score
Pretty cool video here if you want to see how low the lake is. Any area in the video that is tan or brown in color should be covered in water....lots of water. If you don't watch the whole video at least watch the 2:55 mark and look at the marina.

So are all the really big fish now in the deeper areas? Do you think about that as you go out on the SUP?:yikes

GRADS

Reaction score
So are all the really big fish now in the deeper areas? Do you think about that as you go out on the SUP?:yikes

I see big fish all the time. In fact I've had a couple of them hit my skeg and stop me dead in my tracks.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You can see all the tailings from the mining operations popping out of the water. Remember this is from the Gold Rush era. :yikes

View attachment 445064

View attachment 445065

So I found 3 gold mines in total. Here's the other two. They had mostly caved in but I'm sure you could crawl into them if you wanted to....not me, last time I did that it didn't end well.

View attachment 445061

View attachment 445062

And ANOTHER well. Looked a lot like the other one.

View attachment 445063

Poor jet boater.:cry::rolleyes

View attachment 445060
I'm wondering if these wells you keep finding aren't actually ventilation shafts for some of the mines. In the 2nd mine pic you can see it appears they tried to create a masonry support structure. Just a thought I had is all. Still cool pics. I say keep them all here in this thread.

GRADS

Reaction score
I'm wondering if these wells you keep finding aren't actually ventilation shafts for some of the mines. In the 2nd mine pic you can see it appears they tried to create a masonry support structure. Just a thought I had is all. Still cool pics. I say keep them all here in this thread.

That's a very interesting thought that really never crossed my mind. :hmm In one of the wells that I sent a camera down I did notice that it opened up at the bottom.

Sbarry

Reaction score

That's a very interesting thought that really never crossed my mind. :hmm In one of the wells that I sent a camera down I did notice that it opened up at the bottom.

This was my first thought too. These are all over the high desert, and I was told they're ventilation for the old mines.

GRADS

Reaction score
Also one interesting fact is that they clear cut any tree that stuck up higher than 100' of water depth. The thinking behind it was that the ones that were lower would never be seen so there was no point in cutting them down. Well, the lake is low enough that the tops of these trees are starting to poke out in the middle of the lake. :yikes From what I understand some of these trees are 60' Oak trees which makes it very hard to search or dive for the plane.

Here'a pic of the trees sticking out.

folsom tree.jpg

And here's some sonar images from the bottom:yikes:yikes

17jan078fil.jpg

Trees.jpg

And an identical plane to the one down there.

Screenshot_2015-10-14-04-17-28_resized_1.png

Mark C

Reaction score
QUOTE=GRADS;2189429]Also one interesting fact is that they clear cut any tree that stuck up higher than 100' of water depth. The thinking behind it was that the ones that were lower would never be seen so there was no point in cutting them down. Well, the lake is low enough that the tops of th
ese trees are starting to poke out in the middle of the lake. :yikes From what I understand some of these trees are 60' Oak trees which makes it very hard to search or

[/QUOTE]

The sonar images are courtesey of Gene and Sandy Ralston, who were here in 2014 looking for the plane. Gene passed them along to aid in future searching. The more eyes out there right now, the better. Here is a page that explains what they do:

http://gralston1.home.mindspring.com/Sidescan.html

spectracular

Reaction score
Is there any prediction as to how low they expect the lake to get? It sounds like there is no water flowing in, and pretty soon there will be no exit path either. How much does the lake drop per week?

GRADS

Reaction score
I'd also like to say a big thank you to Mark C who I met through RDP. He has really shed a lot of light on where the plane might be and his knowledge of Folsom Lake is mind blowing.:thumbup:

Mark C

Reaction score
I'd also like to say a big thank you to Mark C who I met through RDP. He has really shed a lot of light on where the plane might be and his knowledge of Folsom Lake is mind blowing.:thumbup:

Thanks Greg. I got everything I know about where to look from Gene Ralston. He really narrowed this down for everyone. That link I posted above has other links to some amazing cases the Ralstons have solved. Hopefully we can help get this one found using their investigative work.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
All these pics and no anchors anywhere? I would have figured that the coves would be littered with those.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
All these pics and no anchors anywhere? I would have figured that the coves would be littered with those.

sunk way deep in the mud.

it use to be a pita to pull them out some times because of how far they would sink in.

GRADS

Reaction score

There are anchors everywhere. If you want one I'll pick you one up.;) ....and sunglasses as well.

Mark C

Reaction score

Yes sir, did find just one. Right near the LeBoat wreck.Didn't think to photograph it. It's still there though, on a tree stump. Found a 40 HP Merc outboard motor cover today. Not much else though.

tb230razor

Reaction score

Wow. That video is mind blowing. I've never seen Folsom Lake before, but what an eerie sight the marina was. Horrible to see all of those slips sitting on the dirt. Crazy crazy stuff right there. Sucks for all of the boaters up there. Hope it fills back up soon for everyone
Btw...this thread is awesome[emoji106]🏻

GRADS

Reaction score
I was going to try and post these pics from yesterday last night but quite frankly I didn't have the energy. Mark C and I went out for a monster paddle yesterday and I'm still recovering. Mark showed me a few things I had never seen before, one being the Mormon Island Cemetery.:yikes

Here's a picture of it from back in the day and a few from yesterday.

600_443330749.jpeg

IMG_6880a.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

You can see the various plots in this pic.

IMG_6883.jpg

And a depressing picture of an empty lake. Should be over 100' deep here.

IMG_6884.jpg

And a Galaxie boat that was last registered in 1994 so I'm guessing that's when it went down.

IMG_6889.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

Looks to be another mine. Mark had mentioned that they possibly used to have placer mining operations in this area.

IMG_6903.jpg

And another boat. This one looks to have caught fire and sunk.

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

And for those of you keeping score at home.....Plane 238- Grads 0 :(

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Grads, you obviously don't know a Jet Boat when you see one. IMG_1047 (1).GIF

:D
Just a good place to use my new favorite emoji