WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need Advice

SoCalZero

Reaction score
I bought a "high performance" transmission for my truck in March from a shop and I installed it. There was a one year warranty on parts. Reciept said one year warranty/12,000miles on transmission except on electrical parts, towing and rental car.
I blow up Trans on Sunday, take it to the shop Tuesday they tell me $250 for the labor and it'll be done in a couple of days.
I get a call today and they found out that there was a lot of shit broken including the case and they want to charge me for the "hard parts" meaning everything but the bands and friction disks.
They said it was abuse and they won't cover the hard parts. I'm fighting with the guy on the phone because the reciept says the Trans is covered for "parts" and "parts" are not specified in the warranty. The shop basically does not want to homer the warranty.

What would you do in this situation?
Thanks in advance!!!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I bought a "high performance" transmission for my truck in March from a shop and I installed it. There was a one year warranty on parts. Reciept said one year warranty/12,000miles on transmission except on electrical parts, towing and rental car.
I blow up Trans on Sunday, take it to the shop Tuesday they tell me $250 for the labor and it'll be done in a couple of days.
I get a call today and they found out that there was a lot of shit broken including the case and they want to charge me for the "hard parts" meaning everything but the bands and friction disks.
They said it was abuse and they won't cover the hard parts. I'm fighting with the guy on the phone because the reciept says the Trans is covered for "parts" and "parts" are not specified in the warranty. The shop basically does not want to homer the warranty.

What would you do in this situation?
Thanks in advance!!!

I think 2ff got his jaw broken for something like this [emoji16] careful

SoCalZero

Reaction score
I think 2ff got his jaw broken for something like this [emoji16] careful

Hahahahaha. I thought of that when I was writing this up.

Should I just suck it up and pay? Forgot to mention transmission had roughly 5,000 miles before breakage.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Hahahahaha. I thought of that when I was writing this up.

Should I just suck it up and pay? Forgot to mention transmission had roughly 5,000 miles before breakage.

I would try not to pay but maybe come to some sort of agreement

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Honestly, if I felt I was in the right, and hadn't abused it, I would stick to my guns. Calmly and coolly, simply state, hey, warranty said it covered parts, these are parts, everything "hard" that broke was because your trans let go, not my fault. If you want to back out on this warranty, I will pursue action against you and your business, you will make that choice for me. Which is better for your business sir. Also, I am curious what kind of transmission it was, because I am putting quite a reasonable amount of HP through a turbo 400 that gets abused on the street and on the track and I have no fear of it letting go. Hell, I put the same power through a $200 trans job for 8 years before it let go. No need threaten a fight, just say what you will do, and do what you will say, and advise he do the same. Best of luck.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Honestly, if I felt I was in the right, and hadn't abused it, I would stick to my guns. Calmly and coolly, simply state, hey, warranty said it covered parts, these are parts, everything "hard" that broke was because your trans let go, not my fault. If you want to back out on this warranty, I will pursue action against you and your business, you will make that choice for me. Which is better for your business sir. Also, I am curious what kind of transmission it was, because I am putting quite a reasonable amount of HP through a turbo 400 that gets abused on the street and on the track and I have no fear of it letting go. Hell, I put the same power through a $200 trans job for 8 years before it let go. No need threaten a fight, just say what you will do, and do what you will say, and advise he do the same. Best of luck.

It's a 4L60E.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It's a 4L60E.
Few shops are capable of building these right for HP applications. I have 2 shops local that do a great job, but i switched over to performabuilt and mail order 4l60s from them now due to their warranty. No questions asked, unlimited mileage 1 year - and they know your racing it. No abuse clause. They give u a 3 year warranty under the same terms if you buy the converter from them also.
They do not care how it happened, the only way they will fight u on the warranty is if you broke the seal and removed the pan, or if they find you "stacked" the pump by botching the converter install by not properly engaging it and ramming the motor / trans together.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Few shops are capable of building these right for HP applications. I have 2 shops local that do a great job, but i switched over to performabuilt and mail order 4l60s from them now due to their warranty. No questions asked, unlimited mileage 1 year - and they know your racing it. No abuse clause. They give u a 3 year warranty under the same terms if you buy the converter from them also.
They do not care how it happened, the only way they will fight u on the warranty is if you broke the seal and removed the pan, or if they find you "stacked" the pump by botching the converter install by not properly engaging it and ramming the motor / trans together.

Stock they def don't hold any power. What shops local are you using?

The main issue with them is they need to be serviced frequently. The Tahoe we had I serviced it every 20k. Sold at 120k trans was fine. I have seen them poop out at 50k never having been serviced.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Stock they are hit or miss. My 02 silverado 1500 pulled a 8500lb toy hauler and I sold it with the original trans @ 160k. It was serviced @ 60k, 120k....and them sold @ 160k. Had a trans cooler, if the fluid isnt overheating or running over 200 degrees all the time (which they will do stock without a bigger cooler) no need to dump the fluid every 20k.
Rebs specialties in Reseda builds a good one, we have one in my brothers 2000 silverado right now with 420rwhp, 4.11s and a 3000 stall. I think hes been beating on it for 30k miles now

SoCalZero

Reaction score
I called the shop today and met in the middle on price. Still not to happy about it but I need my truck back. Next time I'll look into a place more. Hopefully this one last longer. Thanks for all the advice and comments!!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]