WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Uber rates = Is Uber a good corporate citizen?

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
So we typically go to the desert for New Year's and drinking isn't an issue because we're not driving.

This year we went to a friend's 50th/New Year's party. Wanting to do the responsible thing we got a hotel near his house and Uber'd to his place, $15 or something like that.

About 1:30a we call Uber to pick us up. Because it's New Year's Eve they put a "surcharge" multiplier on their rates. The ride back to the hotel was over $100. Yea, 7 miles, 15 minutes was over $100.

Still cheaper than a DUI, accident or manslaughter charge, but seriously.

Sadly I had not drank that much and could have probably driven but didn't have a choice.

Buyer beware... Check the surcharge before you order a ride, there may be less expensive alternatives.

Joker

Reaction score
We just called AAA and had our car towed home for free. They do their tipsy tow program every year. Last year we waited forever for uber.
This year, the tow truck was there within 15 min.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Those multipliers can get outrageous...the Lyft multipliers are less than Uber's, several drivers have told us.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
We just called AAA and had our car towed home for free. They do their tipsy tow program every year. Last year we waited forever for uber.
This year, the tow truck was there within 15 min.

I saw a couple people post that program but thought Uber would be a better alternative. Financially it wasn't :D

gqchris

Reaction score
That happens almost nightly at around 2am. They call it surge pricing. You can wait it out , and have the app notify you when it ends. Its a basic "supply and demand" principle. Its to encourage more drivers to fire up their app.

Uber sent an email out the night before warning everyone of Surge.

I still love Uber and it sure beats the Taxis.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I'm guessing Uber gets the lions share of the surcharge, not the drivers?

rvrmom

Reaction score
RDP Uber driver here :D:p

I'll tell you what's up :D

The reason you all got assed raped is because the Lyft app shit the bed at midnight :eek

Nobody was making any money until Lyft crashed.

It probably would have surged... I'd wager..in the the 4 or 5's but not in the 7 or 9's which were seen all over the OC & LA basin.

Now for the whiny bitches :D Not you guy's..the one's tweeting and Facebooking Uber about it. You type the gawd damn mutliplier in and it tells you exactly what the estimated fare will be :bash:

Hat's of to John for taking tipsy tow..that's putting your thinking cap on tight :thumbsup

I didn't work. I had to transport my dad with very late stage cancer home from Cedars.. :(

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
RDP Uber driver here :D:p

I'll tell you what's up :D

The reason you all got assed raped is because the Lyft app shit the bed at midnight :eek

Nobody was making any money until Lyft crashed.

It probably would have surged... I'd wager..in the the 4 or 5's but not in the 7 or 9's which were seen all over the OC & LA basin.

Now for the whiny bitches :D Not you guy's..the one's tweeting and Facebooking Uber about it. You type the gawd damn mutliplier in and it tells you exactly what the estimated fare will be :bash:

Hat's of to John for taking tipsy tow..that's putting your thinking cap on tight :thumbsup

I didn't work. I had to transport my dad with very late stage cancer home from Cedars.. :(

[emoji20]

rvrmom

Reaction score
I did work yesterday early morning...walk of shames O Plenty :thumbsup It was surging early in the morning and super steady ALL day. That's why I work day's after a holiday like that. Everyone's nice and sober and wanting to get back home or to their cars. I did some Rose Bowl rides..LAX rides...Long Beach airport. I was all over yesterday and I made bank :thumbsup. Most money I made was in the month of December. With all the travel and holiday parties.
It was great :thumbsup

<<<<<hustled her fanny in December :D

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Don't forget, there's still taxi's around and they don't have multipliers. Much better deal than uber when you get into 3-7x surge pricing.

Joe mama

Reaction score
So we typically go to the desert for New Year's and drinking isn't an issue because we're not driving.

This year we went to a friend's 50th/New Year's party. Wanting to do the responsible thing we got a hotel near his house and Uber'd to his place, $15 or something like that.

About 1:30a we call Uber to pick us up. Because it's New Year's Eve they put a "surcharge" multiplier on their rates. The ride back to the hotel was over $100. Yea, 7 miles, 15 minutes was over $100.

Sadly I had not drank that much and could have probably driven but didn't have a choice.

Buyer beware... Check the surcharge before you order a ride, there may be less expensive alternatives.

This is complete BS.......This sure won't get the young crowd that have limited income making a right decision.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Uber sent an email out the night before warning everyone of Surge.

You mean like these emails and text messages I got. Yea my "Achmed 2000 translator" was broken.

3a850711a3cc6fc656011e4afcd38f58.jpg

6e25f4f7035783f7f8e9981f5e94cb6f.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Without the surcharge it would probably be hard to fill the demand for drivers to actually work on New Years..... When the fare goes up the drivers get paid more, this encourages more drivers to sign on to fill the demand.... It also helps on the demand side by weeding out people that aren't willing to pay the surcharge, they will seek alternative forms of transport...

The alternative is to call the taxi company and sit around for 2 hours for a cab to show up..... :D

I always laugh when people bitch about Uber surcharges, 3 years ago you didn't even have the choice of Uber, all you had was taxis.....

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Without the surcharge it would probably be hard to fill the demand for drivers to actually work on New Years..... When the fare goes up the drivers get paid more, this encourages more drivers to sign on to fill the demand.... It also helps on the demand side by weeding out people that aren't willing to pay the surcharge, they will seek alternative forms of transport...

The alternative is to call the taxi company and sit around for 2 hours for a cab to show up..... :D

I always laugh when people bitch about Uber surcharges, 3 years ago you didn't even have the choice of Uber, all you had was taxis.....

It is what it is. I did see the ride was going to be between $100-$1xx and still chose to use it because it was the responsible thing to do. I'm a little frustrated that they sent me messages in Arabic as I have no fucking clue what they said. As someone else said, I feel bad for the people that can't afford a "hundy+" to do the right thing. Seems to me Uber would absorb some of the "surcharge" as a responsible corporate citizen for an occasion like New Years. If AAA can provide the "tipsy tow" service for free I would suspect Uber could minimize the "surcharge".

Just my 2 cents, but going forward I'll be more leary of using the service.

Joker

Reaction score
I did work yesterday early morning...walk of shames O Plenty :thumbsup It was surging early in the morning and super steady ALL day. That's why I work day's after a holiday like that. Everyone's nice and sober and wanting to get back home or to their cars. I did some Rose Bowl rides..LAX rides...Long Beach airport. I was all over yesterday and I made bank :thumbsup. Most money I made was in the month of December. With all the travel and holiday parties.
It was great :thumbsup

<<<<<hustled her fanny in December :D

We took uber to Mamas39 yesterday at 9:30 am and got a 2.5% charge. Still beats a dirty cab ride.:thumbsup

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I use Uber at least once a week. Sometimes more.

Lyft never surges more than 2.5X, Uber doesn't have a cap.

As mentioned there's not really an excuse for getting raped by Uber these days since they require you to manually type in and accept the surge pricing. After every big holiday or every big event there's some nimrod on the news crying about the $400+ Uber ride they took and how swindled they felt.

I have a group that parties in the downtown Denver area every couple of weekends. If it's going to be a busy night due to a huge concert or holiday we usually book a car because it's cheaper than an Uber at 5X. If we didn't book a car and see Uber surge to 5X well either order up a Lyft or take a Taxi.

There are alternatives to a 5X+ Uber ride.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

My friend's kids in the San Dimas area paid like $236 for a ride under 11 miles, and roughly 12 minutes from Chino.

Richard.E

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451791180.145469.jpg
Guess I got lucky, this was a pretty long drive .

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
I have a buddy that is an uber driver on the side, he made a killing on New Years, until he had to spend all his profits cleaning puke out of his Cube :D

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I have a buddy that is an uber driver on the side, he made a killing on New Years, until he had to spend all his profits cleaning puke out of his Cube :D

I was wondering about that? If I was a Uber driver I would rent a car with all vinyl and rubber floor mats for that night. [emoji1]
It takes a lot of cleaning to get the puke smell out. [emoji849]

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I will ask one of my vanpool riders how he did with the surcharges.

Ditto that

I was wondering about that? If I was a Uber driver I would rent a car with all vinyl and rubber floor mats for that night. [emoji1]

Motor Boater

Reaction score

Yeah. That's another reason it surges, you've got drivers that will only go out the first half of the night and skip bringing the puking drunks home. People like UBER because they are nice cars and not disgusting cabs but then they Throw up in them. There is no reason to ever throw up in a car. Roll down the window.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

As I understand it, both you and your car must pass muster with Uber, so I don't believe you can just rent random cars.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score

I asked one of the drivers about that. If you puke in a car you get hit with a $250 fee and the driver goes offline for the night.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I was told the same thing buy a driver in my vanpool

I asked one of the drivers about that. If you puke in a car you get hit with a $250 fee and the driver goes offline for the night.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

We make a deal with the driver early on in the day and get their cell number.
Then we pay them half the rate and it's off the clock.
We've done that several times now and it seems quite common to do it.