WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Trailer Build for Hallett 240

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Building a new trailer this off season for my new (to me) Hallett 240 open bow. I've done some research and decided to go with Bear Trailersport for the build. I'm happy so far with how it is coming out and very pleased with Vic and his willingness to work together (which means listen to me be picky) on this project.
On the way to Powell last season.
IMG_4413.JPG
Rough frame mock-up pics
IMG_5547.jpg
No surge.
IMG_5548.jpg
Spare tire will re-locate to under trailer.
IMG_5549.jpg IMG_5550.jpg IMG_5551.jpg IMG_5552.jpg IMG_5553.jpg
D shape bar welded to frame for cover straps.
IMG_5554.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Trailer for sale: Ellis 1995
Items Serviced in 2015:
Surge Brakes, new shoes
New Tires
Serviced Hubs with complete bearing removal and replace where needed
Added spare tire mount
New tongue jack

IMG_5579.jpg IMG_5580.jpg IMG_5581.jpg IMG_5582.jpg IMG_5583.jpg IMG_5584.jpg IMG_5585.jpg IMG_5586.jpg IMG_5587.jpg IMG_5588.jpg IMG_5589.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
New wheels and tires. Quite a process to get what I wanted. They had black paint in the circles so I had them stripped. Then to to Sihilling in Santa Ana to be polished. Then to Speedway Polishing for a clear coat of ceramic (front and back) to keep the finish up and prevent corrosion on the back. Everybody kept asking what kind of car needs seven wheels.
IMG_5173.JPG
IMG_5334.jpg
IMG_5351.jpg

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Very Cool :thumbup:

With a build of this caliber, would I be correct in assuming that the "Ds" for the cover straps be welded to the inside of the Frame?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'd like to see the rigging on the boat and power? Can't help but notice the cav plates

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
great lookin trailer...

is it just me or is the boat sitting a couple inches higher off the frame now? im a stickler for boats and trailers sitting low so I dont have to back half my truck into the water at a shallow launch ramp.

congrats on joining the triple club.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
great lookin trailer...

is it just me or is the boat sitting a couple inches higher off the frame now? im a stickler for boats and trailers sitting low so I dont have to back half my truck into the water at a shallow launch ramp.

congrats on joining the triple club.

It is intentionally a bit higher. Shallow ramps versus steep driveways, looking for a happy medium. I too like low, I don't think it is too high now. More updated photos will show height better with fenders on, I'll post soon.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
It is intentionally a bit higher. Shallow ramps versus steep driveways, looking for a happy medium. I too like low, I don't think it is too high now. More updated photos will show height better with fenders on, I'll post soon.

one of the things you'll notice with triples and having that extra axle back there, is that you dont bottom out on driveways as much. with my tandem i would have to keep a piece of plywood to drag the trailer on to get it out of my driveway. when i converted to triple i dont have that problem anymore.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Again, spare tire has been moved, though it doesn't look bad there.
Also here we are using the plastic box for a sizing guide for the brake controller box that will be built.
The box that will be built will house the battery and hydraulic pump for electric actuated hydraulic brakes.

IMG_5563.jpg
IMG_5564.jpg
IMG_5565.jpg
IMG_5566.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the triple.....
Too many pics? I'm new here......

IMG_5567.jpg
IMG_5568.jpg
IMG_5574.jpg
IMG_5575.jpg
IMG_5576.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Surface mounted ovals LED, just a preference over frenched in.
IMG_5569.jpg

Cross piece is just temp
IMG_5570.jpg

Yes, cav plates are by Brummett Marine in 1995 when Brummett did the initial rigging and engine build.
I graduated high school in 95 having no idea I'd one day own this boat which has been taken care of very well over the years.
I'll post a thread on the boat later.
Angle on back steps or "drive guards" match the cav plates.
IMG_5571.jpg

Drive is out while engine is being rebuilt.
IMG_5572.jpg

Back framing is about 3 inches past back of cav plates.
IMG_5573.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Great thread! Keep the pics coming [emoji1303]

AZBrummett21

It's a Brummett
Reaction score
Surface mounted ovals LED, just a preference over frenched in.
View attachment 476239

Cross piece is just temp
View attachment 476240

Yes, cav plates are by Brummett Marine in 1995 when Brummett did the initial rigging and engine build.
I graduated high school in 95 having no idea I'd one day own this boat which has been taken care of very well over the years.
I'll post a thread on the boat later.
Angle on back steps or "drive guards" match the cav plates.
View attachment 476241

Drive is out while engine is being rebuilt.
View attachment 476242

Back framing is about 3 inches past back of cav plates.
View attachment 476243

So cool. I was looking at those thinking they had to be built by Carson. The boat looks amazing from what I can see.

hallett21

Reaction score
You can never post too many pics. Thanks for sharing!!

ka0tyk

Reaction score
not enough pics!

more_more_more_main_a2.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Mocking up battery and brake pump box for sheetmetal shop to match.

IMG_5681.jpg
IMG_5686.jpg
IMG_5687.jpg
IMG_5688.jpg
IMG_5689.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Obviously all the previous pics have been acquired over the last 2 months and I just put them up in order. I've been gathering them knowing I wanted to do a thread for the trailer. The trailer is out of paint and has been getting brakes and wiring and lights for the last 2 weeks. Vic said it would be ready mid week this week. I am getting the toolbox on Friday and hopefully the billet step plates this week or early next week. Once step plates are machined I will go and fit them and fit hardware. Once that's done Vic will swap the trailers under the boat and we'll get out of his hair. Step plates will then get polishing and clear ceramic coat for protection before they are mounted for final. So, should have possession of trailer by end of next week, latest. :D Next time I see it I'll take and post pics of it painted with lights, wheels, tires and fenders on. This has been a fun project and I can't say enough about how great Vic is to work with at Bear Trailersports.

The goal was to keep the trailer look similar to when the boat was built in '95. Not sure we achieved that but I think the light selection, mod-wheel look and Brummett-esque step plates will match the boat well. We'll see.

A few trailer specs:
2X6 Frame
Triple torsion axles
Disc hydraulic brakes actuated electronically
Full "Drive Guards" in rear
Custom Toolbox in front to hold brake pump and battery
Angled Bow support design stolen from Orange 24' Schiada
Billet steps all around with LED lights below front side steps to light curbs
LED lights around trailer but not recessed

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Painted Trailer and step plate mock up

Got the box from sheet metal shop for the brake pump and battery, fits great but forgot to take pictures :grumble:

Step plates should be ready for rough fit next Monday. Then the trailer will get the boat on it and come home for polished step plates and pin striping. All complete hopefully by end of first week of May.

IMG_5730.jpg
IMG_5731.jpg
IMG_5732.jpg
IMG_5733.jpg
IMG_5734.jpg
IMG_5735.jpg
IMG_5736.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Step Plates in place for mounting prep. All plates still need polish and clear ceramic coat for protection.
Tool Box is in place but yet to be plumbed for the brakes. Some repetitive pics here I apologize.
I really like how the front triangle plate and the back plates came out. Fasteners and machining on the plates match my swim steps. Templates were worth the work.
On the back ones we debated bending the plate and going up over the frame rail but in the end decided holding them back off the frame rail would look better.

Anyways, hope you all like the pics. Another option for the plates was to anodize them blue to match the boat trim tabs and swim step but I think it would be too much of
a contrast to the white trailer, hopefully the polished aluminum will look good but not stand out on the trailer as much as the blue would,
after all, my boat needs to stay nicer than my trailer right? :D

IMG_5744.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5748.jpg

IMG_5749.jpg

IMG_5750.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

IMG_5752.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Great thread thank you for sharing!! It turned out beautiful! Love the step pads and the catwalk on the front. ;)

AZBrummett21

It's a Brummett
Reaction score
Congrats... It came out Bitchen. I really like everything you have done and the quality of Bear's work.

I hope to get my trailer over to Bear after this season.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
A little progress. Pics of one of the polished aluminum step plates.:):):):):)

Maybe a little overkill? Nah.

canoeing-7.jpg
IMG_5805.jpg
IMG_5807.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
So that's what those look like all polished. Looks good!

I think you have similar on your trailer but if I remember correctly they are clear anodized? so more of a matte finish? I don't recall. The only grind with the polish is they may get too hot and they will scratch overtime but as far as I'm concerned, put a towel down so you don't burn your feet and regarding the scratches, I don't think my polisher is going out of business so it's just future work on the books for him. :D:D:D

AZBrummett21

It's a Brummett
Reaction score
I think you have similar on your trailer but if I remember correctly they are clear anodized? so more of a matte finish? I don't recall. The only grind with the polish is they may get too hot and they will scratch overtime but as far as I'm concerned, put a towel down so you don't burn your feet and regarding the scratches, I don't think my polisher is going out of business so it's just future work on the books for him. :D:D:D

Mine are original from 88 so I'm not sure they have clear. I like your whole package, boat and trailer.

This winter the trailer is going to get a complete overhaul! I can't wait.

Is the anodizing on the plates original from when you had Carson rig the boat? Mine turned black from sitting in the water at Mead and it was only in a week at a time. Image1463164054.773246.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Mine are original from 88 so I'm not sure they have clear. I like your whole package, boat and trailer.

This winter the trailer is going to get a complete overhaul! I can't wait.

Is the anodizing on the plates original from when you had Carson rig the boat? Mine turned black from sitting in the water at Mead and it was only in a week at a time.

Are you referring to my swim step plates and trim/cavatation plates on the boat? If so, those have been re-anodized a couple of times I think since '95.

They have to be polished regularly to stay beautiful and then the polish wears through them and they need to get redone. Also, my exhaust exits above my swim steps so the hot water from the exhaust wears on the blue color as well. :rolleyes

Next winter I hope to re-blue all the stuff on the transom and then coat it with a 'ceramic' coating that I've been using on the engine parts. They are basically bulletproof against chemicals and any tarnish. I am going to take one swim step to get it ceramic coated, along with my polished trailer steps, to see how the swim step holds up over summer then if all goes well I'll re-blue and ceramic all parts next winter. The goal is to "seal" the blue from wear and tear and tarnish that is inevitable when they are "raw".

AZBrummett21

It's a Brummett
Reaction score
Are you referring to my swim step plates and trim/cavatation plates on the boat? If so, those have been re-anodized a couple of times I think since '95.

They have to be polished regularly to stay beautiful and then the polish wears through them and they need to get redone. Also, my exhaust exits above my swim steps so the hot water from the exhaust wears on the blue color as well. :rolleyes

Next winter I hope to re-blue all the stuff on the transom and then coat it with a 'ceramic' coating that I've been using on the engine parts. They are basically bulletproof against chemicals and any tarnish. I am going to take one swim step to get it ceramic coated, along with my polished trailer steps, to see how the swim step holds up over summer then if all goes well I'll re-blue and ceramic all parts next winter. The goal is to "seal" the blue from wear and tear and tarnish that is inevitable when they are "raw".

Yes the cavitation plates. I will have to see how yours turn out.

When I re-blue mine I'll see what the ceramic is all about.

Keep up the work. The boat is very nice !

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Boat out of storage going to trailer shop to be moved onto new trailer.
IMG_5927.jpg

Front Step plate. 1/4" machined aluminum polished and cleared with gloss clear ceramic. My business is Office Millwork/Cabinetry so I had one of my installers cut templates out of cardboard and then masonite to make sure of fit prior to machining of aluminum.
IMG_5928.jpg

Back left. I'm not a huge fan of frenched in lights. I wanted LED but kept the rubber grommet oval to not look too modern.
IMG_5929.jpg

I pick up boat on new trailer tomorrow and will post more pics of the entire package.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Damn!!! Turned out great. Nice project to follow.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Picked up the new trailer on Friday. There is a couple minor things that I will still add or change but not big things. 1. Need to paint inner side of fender panels black (I didn't give Bear the right paint to do this). and 2. I will put stainless chains in place of the cables. Remember when looking at the photos, I wanted a very clean look but classic to match the age of the boat '95. Also, I don't like a bunch of busy-ness or too much bling but I like custom simple designs that make the trailer look bitchen if you look close but yet not gonna steal attention away from the boat. Overall, I am VERY happy with how it came out. Anyway, thanks for following this thread and I hope to see some of you out on the road or water this summer. Cheers.

Pick up day at Bear Trailersports in Chatworth. Took me 2.5 hours to get home to the OC on Friday at 2pm. Boo
IMG_5938.jpg
IMG_5939.jpg
IMG_5940.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg

Today out in front of my house.
IMG_5946.jpg
IMG_5947.jpg
IMG_5948.jpg
IMG_5949.jpg
IMG_5950.jpg
IMG_5951.jpg
IMG_5952.jpg
IMG_5953.jpg
IMG_5954.jpg
IMG_5955.jpg

The swim steps are out getting re-anodized and please don't look at the trim plates, they are getting polish and wax tomorrow morning. Embarrassing but I was eager to show off trailer.
IMG_5956.jpg
IMG_5957.jpg
IMG_5958.jpg
IMG_5959.jpg
IMG_5960.jpg