WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need some vacation help, with teenagers

milkmoney

Reaction score
Let me start off with , my wife wants to go on a family vacation as soon as the girls are out of school. Age of girls are 17 and 14...

We looked at taking a cruise out of Galveston and its 4K jus to get on the boat , so we thought of going to so cal and doing Disneyland for a couple days and hitting universal studio and then another day of hitting the beach etc.

Thinking we could do the so cal for less than 4K ... Or am I jus going to be wasting time and money. I love Disneyland [emoji2]

Any other ideas you folks might have to take two teenagers that isn't going to be an arm and a leg to do. ????

Thanks [emoji202][emoji106]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Good morning MM, I have no idea lol

Are you still moving to AZ? It looked like you had a great time at DS! Have a nice weekend!![emoji1303]

Hey pokey. Yes moving. Have to wait a year for the oldest to graduate high school.
DS was awesome. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Thanks

Singleton

Reaction score
I don't see you being able to do SoCal for under 4k. By the time you get flights, purchase tickets to those attractions, 2 hotel rooms (one for you, one for the kids).
Every family vacation for us (total of 5), seem to average 5k or more if we are not doing Havasu. The problem is the 2 hotel rooms.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Let me start off with , my wife wants to go on a family vacation as soon as the girls are out of school. Age of girls are 17 and 14...

We looked at taking a cruise out of Galveston and its 4K jus to get on the boat , so we thought of going to so cal and doing Disneyland for a couple days and hitting universal studio and then another day of hitting the beach etc.

Thinking we could do the so cal for less than 4K ... Or am I jus going to be wasting time and money. I love Disneyland [emoji2]

Any other ideas you folks might have to take two teenagers that isn't going to be an arm and a leg to do. ????

Thanks [emoji202][emoji106]

Get deeper in the boat.:D

milkmoney

Reaction score
I don't see you being able to do SoCal for under 4k. By the time you get flights, purchase tickets to those attractions, 2 hotel rooms (one for you, one for the kids).
Every family vacation for us (total of 5), seem to average 5k or more if we are not doing Havasu. The problem is the 2 hotel rooms.

Gotcha. Shit is expensive. I thought about driving out and have enough friends I think I can avoid lodging , was kinda thinking in those lines.

If we do have to hotel it , we jus get one room , I am cheap [emoji41]

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Shit is expensive. I thought about driving out and have enough friends I think I can avoid lodging , was kinda thinking in those lines.

If we do have to hotel it , we jus get one room , I am cheap [emoji41]

you got enough friends with room for 4? I sure as hell don't. lol.

is Orlando an option? shorter drive shorter flight and way more to do amusement park wise.

Disney gonna cost you 600 to walk in the door for park hoppers. universal and all the other parks will be right around 400. plane tix gonna be 2000 give or take. that 3k and only 2 parks. you haven't even paid for rooms and food. food at the parks require a 2nd mortgage. lol. I have a headache now. lol. good luck!! that's gonna be a lot of estrogen you can't slip away from for a week. lol

milkmoney

Reaction score
you got enough friends with room for 4? I sure as hell don't. lol.

is Orlando an option? shorter drive shorter flight and way more to do amusement park wise.

Disney gonna cost you 600 to walk in the door for park hoppers. universal and all the other parks will be right around 400. plane tix gonna be 2000 give or take. that 3k and only 2 parks. you haven't even paid for rooms and food. food at the parks require a 2nd mortgage. lol. I have a headache now. lol. good luck!! that's gonna be a lot of estrogen you can't slip away from for a week. lol

4 friends =1 per house. Lol.

Florida is a hell No , been to Disney world and we didn't like it. Plus the oddest been twice in the last three years. ( band trips ).
I could save 2k and drive for a lot less , probably 200 each way.

Holy crap , it has gotten that expensive. Good god I am screwed. I hear ya on that estrogen , believe me. The 4K for the cruise is having two rooms.

I think I could rent a house in the keys and a boat for a week and go to Parker a lot cheaper .

Thanks [emoji106][emoji202]

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If you do a cruise really seriously consider a Disney Cruise for girls that age.
They have 3 day - 4 persons for around $2400.
Not very long a duration, but 3 day on a Disney is better than a 5 day on any other ship.

if you can make it to Miami they offer a 4 night for $2800 for 4.
The food, bars, entertainment and activities for all age ranges is amazing.

Schools here are getting out early this year starting around June 3rd and Disneyland may be slammed but hit it as early in the month as you can and you may time it just right.

Who's gonna milk Dem cows?

milkmoney

Reaction score
If you do a cruise really seriously consider a Disney Cruise for girls that age.
They have 3 day - 4 persons for around $2400.
Not very long a duration, but 3 day on a Disney is better than a 5 day on any other ship.

Schools here are getting out early this year starting around June 3rd and Disneyland may be slammed but hit it as early in the month as you can and you may time it just right.

Thanks. The girls are out may 20th , so anytime after that.

Where should I look to find that. Disney website or ????

McRib

Reaction score
4 friends =1 per house. Lol.

Florida is a hell No , been to Disney world and we didn't like it. Plus the oddest been twice in the last three years. ( band trips ).
I could save 2k and drive for a lot less , probably 200 each way.

Holy crap , it has gotten that expensive. Good god I am screwed. I hear ya on that estrogen , believe me. The 4K for the cruise is having two rooms.

I think I could rent a house in the keys and a boat for a week and go to Parker a lot cheaper .

14 and 17 is a gamble on Parker. nothing for them to do unless they like tubing or skiing. I see that getting old fast for them imo. the cruise or cali is gonna be the same pricing. just pick your poison. cruise will cost you only booze and souvenirs cause food in included as is entertainment.

for a lil more why not look into a Disney cruise??? best of both worlds! done done and done!

milkmoney

Reaction score
14 and 17 is a gamble on Parker. nothing for them to do unless they like tubing or skiing. I see that getting old fast for them imo. the cruise or cali is gonna be the same pricing. just pick your poison. cruise will cost you only booze and souvenirs cause food in included as is entertainment.

for a lil more why not look into a Disney cruise??? best of both worlds! done done and done!

Jus being funny about Parker. They both actually enjoy boating and water , but a week is to long for them there.

Ross jus posted about a Disney cruise. So going to look into that also.

These are the times I look in the mirror and go why ???? Lol.

I think I will be needing s job after this. [emoji12]

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks. The girls are out may 20th , so anytime after that.

Where should I look to find that. Disney website or ????

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/list/

If we overnight Disney we stay at the Motel 6 on Disney Way.
Short walk to the park and the rooms are big, often suites.
Clean and functional and the price is usually right.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/motel-6-anaheim?osq=motel+6

Remember on a cruise they feed you and the Disney has the most fantastic food and atmosphere.
Only bill should be the bar and souvenirs.
Even many of the shore activities are included in the price on Disney shore property.
You get a lot for your dollar.
We book through AAA and they (AAA) throw (or did at one time) in champagne and some other stuff.
Dunno if they still do that.

They have a nightclub on board for your older daughter. and a club for the younger too.
It's not hoaky or cornball, or dial up, it's really excellent.

[video=youtube;9WiBK_3eM2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WiBK_3eM2k[/video]

McRib

Reaction score
I just looked at the site. 7 day Bahama Disney Cruise is 3k out of Port Canaveral Florida. 6k for 4 and 7 days in the Bahamas on a Disney cruise would be awesome imo

Always Floored

Reaction score
Your kids are only young for a short time. Next thing you know they are starting life and don't have time for mom and dad. Bite the bullet and go somewhere you can make some great memories.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Dave you might be able to swing a trip to Cabo for 4-5 nights on a $4K budget. Go on expedia.com and see what you find.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Best advice right here.:thumbsup

I agree with that. My wife started this cause the oldest is a senior next year and then she is off to college. So figure out last summer to do anything for sure with both of them.

I would rather buy a boat. Lol.
[emoji12][emoji202]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Dave you might be able to swing a trip to Cabo for 4-5 nights on a $4K budget. Go on expedia.com and see what you find.

Part of the problem is we don't have enough time to get passports , so a cruise is probably the way to go for actually leaving American soil.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Different things for different people but I enjoyed going to New Jersey and checking out Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. Also enjoyed Ohio last year around lake Erie, there is a huge Amusement park there but I cant remember the name. Not sure how teenagers would like these though. Leaving for Georgia next week, hope to spend one day at Jekyll Island and the rest at drags, looks like the humidity is going to be brutal. :grumble:

X Hoser

Reaction score
Part of the problem is we don't have enough time to get passports , so a cruise is probably the way to go for actually leaving American soil.

I think you are going to need passports for the cruise too. We took the Disney cruise to the Bahamas and needed passports. Guess it depends on where the cruise is to? Great trip!

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Get on bookit.com and book a trip to the Caribbean. Sept and Oct are the cheapest time of year to go. My wife and I went to cancun for 6 days, air fair, hotel for $1800 all inclusive. Better then Disneyland.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score

Got it. Make sure you look at VRBO.com. You can rent a house or a condo sometimes for a lot cheaper than getting a hotel.

JBS

Reaction score

You will need passports for the cruise.

There are ways to get them quickly

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Get on bookit.com and book a trip to the Caribbean. Sept and Oct are the cheapest time of year to go. My wife and I went to cancun for 6 days, air fair, hotel for $1800 all inclusive. Better then Disneyland.

It's a Teen age girls trip.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Got it. Make sure you look at VRBO.com. You can rent a house or a condo sometimes for a lot cheaper than getting a hotel.

AitBnB also.

I know people and families traveling the world - literally - staying at houses rented thru AirBnB.

You can get whole homes, occupied by no one but you.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I think you are going to need passports for the cruise too. We took the Disney cruise to the Bahamas and needed passports. Guess it depends on where the cruise is to? Great trip!

Travel agent told us that on a cruise jus need. Birth certificates and 1 other ID and the youngest doesn't have another ID so they said that is fine with the BC...

I might add we need to do this between May 20th and beginning of June.

I might have waited to long , I was waiting it out to see if prices were going down the closer we got.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Different things for different people but I enjoyed going to New Jersey and checking out Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. Also enjoyed Ohio last year around lake Erie, there is a huge Amusement park there but I cant remember the name. Not sure how teenagers would like these though. Leaving for Georgia next week, hope to spend one day at Jekyll Island and the rest at drags, looks like the humidity is going to be brutal. :grumble:

These are teenage girls. Ummm NO. They will get bored. God help me. I was happy jus being at the lake as s teenager [emoji970][emoji12][emoji202]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Have you thought about renting a RV and doing a road trip camping vacation?

Maybe fly into Bakersfield and rent a moho and do a week camping trip through Yosemite and Sequoia national park. When I was a teenager, I loved that vacation we did as a family.

Oso Viejo

Reaction score
"Any other ideas you folks might have to take two teenagers that isn't going to be an arm and a leg to do. ???? "

Best kid vacations we ever took were those all inclusive resorts in Mexico or the Caribbean. Beach, watersports and most have multiple pools and some have golf included. Food and booze are part of the price and places like Jamaica and Mexico can be found at off the hook cheap prices. Other spots like Aruba and the Bahamas cost more, YMMV, just be sure to find one that is 'teenager friendly' so they will have daily events and hang out spots like no alcohol discos to keep the kiddos busy.

Personally, the idea of a week on a cruise makes me a little claustrophobic and as much as I like the mouse house, a day or two at a time every 4 or 5 years is plenty not to mention the ferocious expense of eating :yikes (and possibly drinking) at resort prices over an extended stay.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Travel agent told us that on a cruise jus need. Birth certificates and 1 other ID and the youngest doesn't have another ID so they said that is fine with the BC...

I might add we need to do this between May 20th and beginning of June.

I might have waited to long , I was waiting it out to see if prices were going down the closer we got.

I would double check if I were you before making a decision. Maybe if you don't leave the ship, but what fun would that be?

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Dave...how about renting a RV and hitting the national parks? Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce, Carlsbad Caverns etc. They have great hikes and the scenery is spectacular. Or just throw in the towel and go to Cabo.

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
You might look into Mission Bay in San Diego. Rent a beach house. Lots to do and see for the kids and the parents. Depending on location you might be able to find something in that price range. I love going to San Diego in the summer months. Nice and cool in the mornings and evenings and a ton of sites to see.

fmo24

Reaction score
How about a cheapie cruise like carnival out of long beach. Either 4 day during the week or 3 day weekender

TCHB

Reaction score
Huntington Beach Hyatt or the Hilton hotels

They will love the beach and the bike path.

B-rian

Reaction score
Redondo beach is awesome, if you get a place where you could walk to the beach or even better on the boardwalk. There's the beach that always has something going on, the shops, the restaurants. You can't go wrong

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Did houseboat trips with our daughters when they were that age. They each got to invite a friend. Wife and I were the only adults. The kids were great and had a ball. Even allowed them to bring a boyfriend on one trip. It worked out fine. No problems, he was a big HS football player and always a big help. Girls would cook some meals. Usually good for a lot of laughter from the galley. Good times and you don't need the ultra expensive version of a houseboat. Just bring along a boat capable of tubing, boards, ski etc. And NO CELL PHONES !