WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone else scared to fly?

spectras only

Reaction score
Not afraid of flying as long as I know that the pilot knows where to land.:) Friend [ he holds a commercial licence ] and I were flying to Port Hardy in a 10 seater twin Beach to pick up a boat he bought up there.We took off from Vancouver International in blue sky. Half way around in Campbell River we flew into a pea soup of fog to all the way to Port Hardy.Pilots announced that we may have to go Bella Coola instead because no visibility to land at Hardy.So, we both sensed that the plane is circling for a while,and bam, goes into a steep dive.We're literally drilled through a tiny patch of clear of the fog, landing in Port Hardy.When we cleared the fog, we're practically on the tarmac Grads would have shit his pants if he was on this flight.:) if you ever been to Port Hardy, you'd notice, every single boat there has radars.Fog there rolls in like no other place in British Columbia.

Ps; best halibut fishing is around Port Hardy!
http://www.porthardy.ca/visit/port-hardy-fishing-guide

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
The flight home was a little easier and had some spectacular views[emoji106]

Image1462770448.175078.jpg

max930

Reaction score

Its scenery like that, makes flying small private planes worth doing here. BC to Northern Cali has several mountains like that. Its very cool flying around them in a small plane.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That looks like hydraulic fluid leaking across that wing from the leading-edge slat actuator. :yikes:yikes

:D :D

Yep!!

Try flying the BP charters (oldest 737's still flying, the plane that Liam Neison was supposedly on in the movie "the grey")

Wings and cowls are soaked !

guest hs

Reaction score
I don't like to fly either. My Grandparents were killed in an airplane crash back in 91 leaving El Monte airport coming home to Vegas. They never made it back home!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
photo 1.jpg

Here's a pic of a familiar place I took coming into Vegas from the midwest recently.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It was Al Haynes, mate. Not Baines. But yes, full agreement. His incident was the model used for the formation of the modern thinking in crew coordination. Every one of us in this business has studied how he managed the other pilots helping him on the flight deck, in our training classes.

-Peter

Probably more accurate that the Flight 232 crew showed how successful CRM could be. Up until then you only had failure's to study, such as United Flight 173 and such.

dribble

Reaction score

View attachment 483430

Nice.

You need to fly again within the next three to six months. Take my word for it. It gets easier every time you do it. But you need to keep doing it. I used to throw up the day I had to fly. Now I eat airport pizza while waiting for my flight.

GRADS

Reaction score
FUCK! So here we are again. Haven't flown since this flight 3 1/2 years ago and the wife is expecting me to get on a plane Wednesday. I'm right back where I was...scared shitless.:( I'm coming to SoCal by the way.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I watched a shit ton of YouTube videos from commercial cockpits and educated myself a little about airplanes since I have always been blown away by the technology, raw power and crazy environments they operate in. Now I don't have much problem flying compared to a few year's ago. It's kinda fun now

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Also helps to run things thru your head that will be happening when you land and when you are back home....how your trip is going to go, what you want/need to do, who to avoid, WTF is Trump doing today, will I be banned when I land.....removing the "oh shit I'm flying" seems to help

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Absolutely terrified of flying.. I hate it, but just suck it up every time when I do it and say "I had a good life.. Better then most." I'm embarrassed to say it but I usually hide some chicken scratch will in my tool box before I fly. :D.

That said I grew up flying in small planes.. They don't bother me near as much as an airliner. Strangely since I was a kid I have had this reoccurring thought that I was going to die in an airliner that was high jacked by terrorists.. This is essay before 9/11. After 9/11 I pretty much get shithoused to even get on a plane.

I had to fly to China once.. There was this kid that was about 12 and he kept grabbing the red handle and trying to open the door to the plane. That escalated quickly.. Lol.

Went to China, eh? No wonder the site gets fucked up occasionally!:D

78Southwind

Reaction score
FUCK! So here we are again. Haven't flown since this flight 3 1/2 years ago and the wife is expecting me to get on a plane Wednesday. I'm right back where I was...scared shitless.:( I'm coming to SoCal by the way.

Why don't you tell the wife she needs to do something special on the flight to take your mind off your fear. Maybe invite one of her friends...

pcrussell50

Reaction score

It's a phobia so it's not rational. Your brain knows how safe it is, no matter how hellish it is outside at 550mph at say 41,000 feet (physiologically not much different from space).

But can you put a finger on any particular thing about it that scares you? Fear of crashing? Fear of turbulence (related to fear of crashing)? Fear of inflight breakup and being shredded by the speed long before you hit the ground? Fear of all of that stuff sort of rolled into one? Knowing it and facing it in advance might help. The rational part of your mind knows the insane odds against any of that actually happening. I don't know anything medically about phobias but if you have any specific fears that you feel an airline pilot can answer to, ask away (here or PM).

-Peter

GRADS

Reaction score
Why don't you tell the wife she needs to do something special on the flight to take your mind off your fear. Maybe invite one of her friends...
Already have that part covered. 22 year old hottie sitting right next to me.

GRADS

Reaction score
It's a phobia so it's not rational. Your brain knows how safe it is, no matter how hellish it is outside at 550mph at say 41,000 feet (physiologically not much different from space).

But can you put a finger on any particular thing about it that scares you? Fear of crashing? Fear of turbulence (related to fear of crashing)? Fear of inflight breakup and being shredded by the speed long before you hit the ground? Fear of all of that stuff sort of rolled into one? Yet even still, the rational part of your mind knows the insane odds against any of that actually happening. I don't know anything medically about phobias but if you have any specific fears that you feel an airline pilot can answer to, ask away (here or PM).

-Peter
If I was the flying the plane there would be no issue.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Already have that part covered. 22 year old hottie sitting right next to me.

Well you know where to go once the seat belt sign goes off... so no meds if you want to get the job done right.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I love flying. Little plane, big ass airliner, all of it.

I'll be on 4 flights in the next two days.

:D

Wheels up today at 1659:cool:

BingerFang

Reaction score
This thread just confirmed my theory that all liberals are pussies.

HCP3

Reaction score
Death by: Your odds
  • Cardiovascular disease: 1 in 2
  • Smoking (by/before age 35): 1 in 600
  • Car trip, coast-to-coast: 1 in 14,000
  • Bicycle accident: 1 in 88,000
  • Tornado: 1 in 450,000
  • Train, coast-to-coast: 1 in 1,000,000
  • Lightning: 1 in 1.9 million
  • Bee sting: 1 in 5.5 million
  • U.S. commercial jet airline: 1 in 7 million

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Grads,
Go take a flight lesson. Tell the instructor you are terrified of flying and want to conquer your fear through knowledge. If they are an experienced flight instructor, they will know how to help you. The fact is, we aren’t birds. We weren’t born to fly, so that uncomfortable feeling isn’t uncommon. The question is, can you train your stomach and body to be comfortable by understanding what’s happening up there, and why you feel bumps and turns or hear certain sounds? I have helped many people overcome that fear. I even had a couple of folks get the bug and decide they want to continue training to get their license. Overcoming your fear comes through understanding, knowledge, and experience.

Then again you could save yourself a bunch of money by just sucking it up and not being such a pussy..[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Go old school and pop a Quaalude or two and chill.......

dribble

Reaction score
Learn to control your pre-flight anxiety. Remember that the most dangerous part of this trip is the drive to the airport. I Went to Hawaii this year with my GF and had a blast. Something I wasn't able to do 15 years ago. Above all learn to trust people to do their jobs. Get that book out and re-read it. I used to take it with me on the plane. You already know that going 150 mph in a boat is about 10,000 times more dangerous than that flight to LA and you've done plenty of that.

BajaT

Reaction score
An old friend of mine worked for Fed Ex as a mechanic. They would work on some of the smaller passenger airlines planes. They got summoned to look at something on an airplane that already had boarded it's passengers. A female passenger asked his smartass co-worker if he had fixed the issue. His reply, "we will find out!"

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Learn to control your pre-flight anxiety. Remember that the most dangerous part of this trip is the drive to the airport. I Went to Hawaii this year with my GF and had a blast. Something I wasn't able to do 15 years ago. Above all learn to trust people to do their jobs. Get that book out and re-read it. I used to take it with me on the plane. You already know that going 150 mph in a boat is about 10,000 times more dangerous than that flight to LA and you've done plenty of that.

Trust people to do their jobs? Like the software designers of the Boeing Max???:D

pcrussell50

Reaction score
If I was the flying the plane there would be no issue.

So... fear that your pilots are incompetent? Or just general fear of not being in control? There is a difference. If it's the former you can say so without offending me. Because I'm seriously curious about this phobia.

-Peter

GRADS

Reaction score
So... fear that your pilots are incompetent? Or just general fear of not being in control? There is a difference. If it's the former you can say so without offending me. Because I'm seriously curious about this phobia.

-Peter
Yep definitely lack of control.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Yep definitely lack of control.
Nothing to worry about until you find out how much partying the pilots and stuartist do together the night before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TCHB

Reaction score
Isle seat for me in business class and then I go to sleep.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
That Ron White bit is a classic..."All the way to the scene of the crash"...Great airline story quote...
Last time I flew was to Raleigh NC for the APBA awards deal in Jan. 2009...I remarked how stupid it was to load the people seated in the front portion of the plane first making those in the back wait for them to stow their carry ons etc etc... I was hesitant to fly with people that lacking in common sense running the show...Now I hear they do load the rear seating first?? I wonder if someone important heard me bitching about it??
I am not afraid to fly, in fact I kinda of enjoy it, but it was better when smoking was allowed after take off, (I did quit smoking cigarettes since I flew), and a few $1.00 drinks along the way made for a better flight... Now with all the pre flight inspection/ check in bullshit I would just as soon drive.. Besides, getting there is more than 1/2 the fun....AND, pretty hard to take a boat if you fly!!!
Ray

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I much prefer driving over flying. Colorado is about the edge though. anything further east or a quick turn around and its jet plane time.

I really dont mind flying i just hate the process. Get there early, check-in, security, bar (ok i like this part), stand in line at gate, boarding the cattle, being the drunk idiot that someone is going to talk about later when they talk about the person they had to sit next to, the tight quarters, the smells, the half hour it takes to get off the plane. The rental car bus. The rental car line. Its all a pain in the ass.

I would much rather have a good music playlist, a hot woman next to me, laying down miles and seeing our great country.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
That Ron White bit is a classic..."All the way to the scene of the crash"...Great airline story quote...
Last time I flew was to Raleigh NC for the APBA awards deal in Jan. 2009...I remarked how stupid it was to load the people seated in the front portion of the plane first making those in the back wait for them to stow their carry ons etc etc... I was hesitant to fly with people that lacking in common sense running the show...Now I hear they do load the rear seating first?? I wonder if someone important heard me bitching about it??
I am not afraid to fly, in fact I kinda of enjoy it, but it was better when smoking was allowed after take off, (I did quit smoking cigarettes since I flew), and a few $1.00 drinks along the way made for a better flight... Now with all the pre flight inspection/ check in bullshit I would just as soon drive.. Besides, getting there is more than 1/2 the fun....AND, pretty hard to take a boat if you fly!!!
Ray

Most airlines now board random seats in groups. It spreads people out throughout the cabin.

What I like is the airlines that charge for carry-on, cuts way down on boarding and deplaning time. To bad those are all shitbox airlines.