WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Congrats if you have Geico Auto Ins.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Their insured hit my Daughter 2 Sundays ago. My daughter coming to a stop in a left hand turn lane. He says she cut him off, middle eastern aggressive guy, prick to her I understand but didn't come near her. He spoke no English and had to have his adult daughter drive over to translate. Irvine PD took no report because there was no injury even though the guy called the paramedics. We have pictures of him standing there talking on his phone.

So my wife shows up as I'm in Catalina and takes a bunch of pics showing an established lane. Should be open / closed deal.

Nope. Geico says they will assume 15% responsibility. Mercury is nearly laying down on this and I don't get it. I can't get them to react, fight, or even call back.

I have had this broken fucking car in my driveway for 9 days now. Again, there is no bodily injury so what the freaking holdup.

**Also is there a website for determining value on a newer car with a car fax accident vrs. none? I am going to claim diminished value as well if I can figure it out.

IMG_4357.jpg

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I don't know how to help, but I can tell you Mercury are pussies, I know first hand. I was in a left hand turn lane, waiting to make a left, dude in front didn't wait for oncoming traffic to clear, just went, suburban swerved to avoid him and hit me head on. No license, no insurance, 8 passengers, 3 under the age of 4, all with chiropractor bills. They sued me and insurance, they could not sue for property damage as they should not of been driving, so just an ass ton of fake medical, let alone my car was stopped on my side of the road, hit head on by their suburban, still on my side of road. Mercury's attorney flat out said it was cheaper to pay them the 50k than to fight in court. I only had liability on that daily driver at the time, live and learn and have had full everything on everything since, you grow up fast as a kid.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
1) Mercury is known to be the worst but they all fight claims... they're insurance companies.

2) Make some claim like 20% diminished value and they should make you an offer based on their own little calculator. When I personally made a diminished value claim, I had the dealership I bought it from say the difference they would offer at trade in my vehicle vs. a vehicle that had not been in a accident. It was about $5k. Insurance didn't like that so they offered about $1,100.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That is odd there was no police report in this instance. Can you get a claim for diminished value if you are at fault? I know you can when the other person is deemed at fault.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
This is exactly why I have AAA. I pay through the ass, but in the 3 or 4 accidents I have been in not once have they ever laid down.

They always give me a rental, and immediately start work on my car, no matter what happened.

27 years of membership has it privledges :D

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
They all suck....

Just pay the collision deductible and let them fight it out.....

The problem I have with that is Kirstin is 17. If they somehow roll this to her fault it's really bad for her going forward and for me dollar wise. She will be un-insurable on my policy but you would know that more than me. We just finished putting a complete roof on the car because some boys jumped on it parked in the school lot. What a fight that was and all in all I had to file a comp claim and eat the deductible.

I seem to have real bad luck these days. Thinking of changing last name to Black Cloud.

She has been in the Jeep since.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This is exactly why I have AAA. I pay through the ass, but in the 3 or 4 accidents I have been in not once have they ever laid down.

They always give me a rental, and immediately start work on my car, no matter what happened.

I have AAA, and may rates are fairly competitive when I compare them with friends. But they get you if you don't have a history with them. After a few years you get "loyalty discounts" or whatever they call it. They are great to deal with and have always been more than fair. I totaled a car and my rates went down $50 a year.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
That is odd there was no police report in this instance. Can you get a claim for diminished value if you are at fault? I know you can when the other person is deemed at fault.

Not something they do in Irvine unless someone is hurt. News to me so wreck your stuff in Irvine. I am sure you have raced on the tarmac there. :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The problem I have with that is Kirstin is 17. If they somehow roll this to her fault it's really bad for her going forward and for me dollar wise. She will be un-insurable on my policy but you would know that more than me. We just finished putting a complete roof on the car because some boys jumped on it parked in the school lot. What a fight that was and all in all I had to file a comp claim and eat the deductible.

I seem to have real bad luck these days. Thinking of changing last name to Black Cloud.

It's gonna be a tough go since it's a he said she said accident....

If she has an otherwise clean record she won't be uninsurable on the policy. The comp claim won't effect the account $& wise.

Just a FYI almost zero agencies will come out and do a report on an accident not involving injuries.

Who's fault do you think it is?

You know you can always call me with questions [emoji41]

Joker

Reaction score
th-1.jpeg

Now's a good time to get rid of that POS. Sorry to hear about the wreck.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

If she has an otherwise clean record she won't be uninsurable on the policy. The comp claim won't effect the account $& wise.

Just a FYI almost zero agencies will come out and do a report on an accident not involving injuries.

She's coming to a stop in a left turn lane, has clear possession of the lane and BNAG (thanks JBB). His skid marks are at an angle from the #1 lane right into the back of the car.

Mercury just raised their rates on me as a said "price increase." We don't wreck cars so I am pretty green at this BS.

We HAVE pictures of the aftermath and position of the cars. Both adjusters have them.

There is no way to sue anyone here. No medical and no attorney will waste their time.

Thanks for the input.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

How the hell can it be anything but the other person's fault? It was REAR ENDED.

ASAIK in Commifornistan that makes you automatically at fault.....

530RL

Reaction score
Geico sucks. I have USAA for regular stuff and Hagerty for collector stuff. Hagerty is awesome.

I have sued the insured when they were insured by GEICO on a claim and they folded and paid the claim and paid diminished value on a 3/4 ton diesel truck. You can google up and get an opinion of diminished value.

USAA has also paid diminished value when a priest hit my GT3 Porsche and he was insured by USAA.

Sorry to hear about the accident. In my case I just paid for it and sued their insured. Geico is then forced to defend, the adjuster goes away and you deal with their in-house attorneys. Not an option for everyone but it works.

Info on diminished value here. http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/diminished-value-claim.aspx

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait.........so Shintoooooo got in an accident with your daughter? So sue that guy, he's loaded. And wtf was he doing down in Irvine? :D

WildHorses24

Reaction score
She's coming to a stop in a left turn lane, has clear possession of the lane and BNAG (thanks JBB). His skid marks are at an angle from the #1 lane right into the back of the car.

Mercury just raised their rates on me as a said "price increase." We don't wreck cars so I am pretty green at this BS.

We HAVE pictures of the aftermath and position of the cars. Both adjusters have them.

There is no way to sue anyone here. No medical and no attorney will waste their time.

Thanks for the input.
If Mercury finds her with anything more than 49% at fault go to this website.

Www.consumerdisclosure.com

From what you've said there's no way this should go on her MVR as an at fault. Every time I've advised a client to do this they reverse the determination and remove the accident. Something else that gets the ball rolling sometimes is threatening a Dept of Insurance Complaint. These complaints are more time consuming and costly to insurance companies than just paying your claim. As said before they all suck but some more than others! This coming from someone who's been in the industry for 18 years [emoji6]

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Please consider that NO ONE has QUESTIONED HIS DRIVING RECORD . Demand his previous driving record . NO MATTER what country . If you don't get that, how can we factually compare 'driving records' .

AGE has never been a reason for guilt (statistically but not every case) . Showing photos of the tire skid marks along with the STOPPED POSITION of your vehicle, should bring about the value of the truth .

For the insurance company of a 'stopped car' to automatically assume any percentage of liability, is only done for "insurance company expedience', not to protect your position as the 'insured' .

IMO, your insurance company is not on your side, and you should change this problem, as quickly as possible .

IF your family has a record of claims, you have no footing, but if you don't, contact your local state insurance commissioner's office, and file a claim/ request an investigation .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Dave, Wildhorses is a very cool dude. We have shaken hands a couple of times. I would take his advice seriously. No way he would steer you wrong.

Marina showed me the pics. No way your girl is at fault. Seems like this whole thing is a set up...

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
If you have kids that drive, get a quote from Wawanesa in San Diego. Both of my Daughters had fender benders and no problems getting the cars fixed, (at the body shop of your choice) their rates did go up a little, but my 2 trucks went down.. Best car insurance company I have dealt with.

red ant

Reaction score
Had Mercury insurance for a short time. Of course our daughter got in a accident during that time. Not her fault. In left hand turn lane. Bottom dumper that had been parked down the road in the middle, with his flashers on hit her. I don't think her saw her while she was waiting to turn left and was just driving down the middle of the road to go turn left. Same as you, damage was from rear. Mercury just rolled over and played dead. Luckily she was almost 20 when it happened. Same deal, no injuries. Guy was a Hispanic dude, told her not to report accident, blah blah blah. She reported it and the guy called her screaming at her. Weeks go buy and then her suddenly got a witness, stating that she cut him off. Total BS. Live and learn. Got rear ended while stoppped at a red light by a guy with Progressive. Almost as bad as getting hit by someone with no insurance. Didn't want to pay shit. Car was not even a year old yet :(

Feel for you. Change companies ASAP.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Dave, Wildhorses is a very cool dude. We have shaken hands a couple of times. I would take his advice seriously. No way he would steer you wrong.

Marina showed me the pics. No way your girl is at fault. Seems like this whole thing is a set up...

Can you believe this shit Joe? What a freaking time waster. He wasn't paying attention. People that come at you aggressively are usually to blame for something. The innocent rarely come screaming.

Mercury wants a recorded statement from a minor. How the hell does that stand up to anything? That's tomorrow. We'll see.

I think I will just do as Brandon says and fix the car and remove myself from this. To much going on for me right now.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Thanks all for the opinions here. I will sit my wife and daughter down and explain all thats said here nad we will make changes.

Super disappointed in Mercury.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
we have no fault here which drives me nuts, but its still only half of what I would pay in CA.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks all for the opinions here. I will sit my wife and daughter down and explain all thats said here nad we will make changes.

Super disappointed in Mercury.
As others have said, Mercury IS the worst.

We have State Farm. And I don't pay anything for my kids to drive my cars.

Hard to get much better than that!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Thanks for the input.

I was driving and reading and missed the story...stress that it's 100% not her fault and refuse to accept anything but that outcome.

It will still be a pain dealing with the process. AAA and Grigio are known for always letting the claims be handled by subrogation.

Basically you will pay the collision deductible and when they recoup the $$ you will get that back.

Mercury had a 8% rate change across the board in March.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
btw for personal the best I ever had was liberty mutal, i had 4 claims with them( 2 theft, 1 vand and one i was hit.) every thing was super easy and they went out of their way to help. had AAA and it was a crap shoot rather a claim or not was going to go smoothly.

i still have travlers for my comm'l policy, never had an issue with them as well, but then again that comm'l so things are different.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
As others have said, Mercury IS the worst.

We have State Farm. And I don't pay anything for my kids to drive my cars.

Hard to get much better than that!

How is it tou don't pay for your kids to drive your cars?

Mercury is the same as all the others. They made there name in the industry with low rates and fighting frivolous claims. Cheap prices and easy payouts don't work together.

Honestly I have been doing this for 20+ years and if you did a poll you would find Juliet as many people that felt they were wronged by State Farm.

72Hondo

Reaction score
After reading all these stories, a dash cam is looking better and better. Even if nothing happens in 3+ years of having the can, when it does, video is very hard to argue.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
How is it tou don't pay for your kids to drive your cars?

Mercury is the same as all the others. They made there name in the industry with low rates and fighting frivolous claims. Cheap prices and easy payouts don't work together.

Honestly I have been doing this for 20+ years and if you did a poll you would find Juliet as many people that felt they were wronged by State Farm.
Just don't....

They are free to drive any of my cars Until they get a ticket or in an accident. If either of those things happen, it's game over, and then they have to be on their own.

The stipulations are, they have to be above a certain GPA, and some other stuff I don't remember. We have everything insured through SF, and they have lowered our rates every year. Since we have been with them over 25 years, no one can touch our rates.

As for Mercury....

I speak from the repair side of the equation. They always request used or import (non OEM) parts, and don't want to pay for shit! They made a good friend of mine wait for months to get his car back, be cause they wouldn't pay for new parts.

Triple A on the other hand, pays lickety split, and never bitches about the price. They are the best company to deal with from the repair side of the equation. When the claim is paid quick, your car gets fixed quick. Everybody is happy.

You're right though, I'm sure there are customer complaints against Every insurance company. I have no doubt about that.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Just don't....

They are free to drive any of my cars Until they get a ticket or in an accident. If either of those things happen, it's game over, and then they have to be on their own.

The stipulations are, they have to be above a certain GPA, and some other stuff I don't remember. We have everything insured through SF, and they have lowered our rates every year. Since we have been with them over 25 years, no one can touch our rates.

As for Mercury....

I speak from the repair side of the equation. They always request used or import (non OEM) parts, and don't want to pay for shit! They made a good friend of mine wait for months to get his car back, be cause they wouldn't pay for new parts.

Triple A on the other hand, pays lickety split, and never bitches about the price. They are the best company to deal with from the repair side of the equation. When the claim is paid quick, your car gets fixed quick. Everybody is happy.

You're right though, I'm sure there are customer complaints against Every insurance company. I have no doubt about that.

Never been my experience I have always gotten what I want and factory parts.

They didn't complain one bit last year when I took a rock to my rubicon windshield and had it replaced at a cost of almost $850.

As far as the kids deal I would verify that's a "State Farm" deal and not an agent deal. Sounds pretty sketchy and it's a bad business model to let kids with a enormous loss ratio to drive for free.....never heard of that aside from shady agents not wanting to loose business and pulling strings to keep rates down.

And lowered rates for 25 years straight....um yeah that's not right either rates for all carriers are a ton more now than even 10 years ago with the cost of shop rates,parts,traffic and cell phones.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

They didn't complain one bit last year when I took a rock to my rubicon windshield and had it replaced at a cost of almost $850.

As far as the kids deal I would verify that's a "State Farm" deal and not an agent deal. Sounds pretty sketchy and it's a bad business model to let kids with a enormous loss ratio to drive for free.....never heard of that aside from shady agents not wanting to loose business and pulling strings to keep rates down.

And lowered rates for 25 years straight....um yeah that's not right either rates for all carriers are a ton more now than even 10 years ago with the cost of shop rates,parts,traffic and cell phones.

I am paying an extra $97 a month to have Kirstin added on as a driver. She can drive everything however and is rated to the Focus as that was the least expensive way to go. That's with every discount we could pull and 500k liability though.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've been with AAA for years and have never been disappointed. Every time my car has been damaged they get it in the shop the same or next day

Been with AAA Roadside for about 30 years

I have AAA, and may rates are fairly competitive when I compare them with friends. But they get you if you don't have a history with them. After a few years you get "loyalty discounts" or whatever they call it. They are great to deal with and have always been more than fair. I totaled a car and my rates went down $50 a year.

After reading all these stories, a dash cam is looking better and better. Even if nothing happens in 3+ years of having the can, when it does, video is very hard to argue.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Funny, I was with AAA for 27 years and I switched to Geico two years ago. AAA stopped being competitive for us.

Once my daughters turned 16 I had to list them on my policy as a driver..
They each have had a fender bender, Geico determines fault and covers accordingly.
I haven't seen a big increase since then, which is nice for them.

Now that we sold the house and are moving, I am going to insist that the kids get their own policy now.
I don't need to be liable for their cars anymore now that my youngest is 20.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Well lets think about this...

Aren't you the guy that said he gets a new car every couple of years?? :D

The newest car I have is my 11 Jetta! Everything else is older than dirt: 99 F350, 00 Durango, 86 F150. My boat is a 97, my Harley is an 07 and my toyhauler is a 00. Been in the same house for over 20 years, and don't have any accidents at all. So why would MY rates go up???

Well, I found out from my wife our home insurance went up a bit when we added to it, but I guess that's to be expected when you add two new rooms, and a whole bunch of other stuff. :)

When we signed up with SF, the agent was a good friend of mine. He eventually retired, and sold the business off to his sister, so they take real good care of us. :thumbsup

Check out this link. There are 13 different discounts here, and I think we have pretty much all of them except one! : https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/discounts

[h=2]Accident-Free Discount[/h]Once your car (or the one it replaced) has been with State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company for at least three continuous years without a chargeable accident during this period, you will receive a discount. This auto insurance discount may increase over time if the policy remains in force and there continues to be no chargeable accidents.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score

Man I am sorry to hear this, I have Geico, and I'm seriously considering a change. I'm going through some stuff now with my 19 year old daughter due to her rear ending another driver, and yep, we only had liability on her truck because its an old Toyota 4x4 with close to 400k miles on it. but now I'm going to be insured to the teeth because I have too much to lose....ugh! California is not a friendly place to drive..:grumble:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Sorry to see that damage & hear about the insurance issues, Dave. Just glad she is ok. That looks like a very hard hit. Are the taillight & hatch door undamaged? Although it's a lot of damage, it looks as though it's confined to the rear bumper cover? Did the drivers airbag deploy? I have that same car, nice & sporty daily drivers. I hope everything gets resolved very soon. I know Santa margarita ford has a collision & repair center off Banderas, I do my morning walks by their shop all the time.

My reasoning for buying the Focus.....

1. I wanted American Made. This car is like 88% American parts, made in Detroit although in the next 3 years they are taking the C-Max and the Focus to Mexico.
2. A hook-up deal -= Dan Hernandez, cant say enough good things about him
3. Crash rated -I am sure you know Pokey these things are 5 star in nearly every category

The new Focus for 2017 will have a CVT trans. What does that tell ya. So aside from the stupid attempt at awesome Audi trans engineering we like the car.

So we fix it and let the insurance fight it out.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Funny, I was with AAA for 27 years and I switched to Geico two years ago. AAA stopped being competitive for us.

Once my daughters turned 16 I had to list them on my policy as a driver..
They each have had a fender bender, Geico determines fault and covers accordingly.
I haven't seen a big increase since then, which is nice for them.

Now that we sold the house and are moving, I am going to insist that the kids get their own policy now.
I don't need to be liable for their cars anymore now that my youngest is 20.

Thanks for your reply. After all this my 17 year old may just end up with her own policy and a different car in her name solely. We'll see.

I own a business and this was kind of a small eye opener.

BigHeart

RiverMaster
Reaction score
Well lets think about this...

Aren't you the guy that said he gets a new car every couple of years?? :D

The newest car I have is my 11 Jetta! Everything else is older than dirt: 99 F350, 00 Durango, 86 F150. My boat is a 97, my Harley is an 07 and my toyhauler is a 00. Been in the same house for over 20 years, and don't have any accidents at all. So why would MY rates go up???

Well, I found out from my wife our home insurance went up a bit when we added to it, but I guess that's to be expected when you add two new rooms, and a whole bunch of other stuff. :)

When we signed up with SF, the agent was a good friend of mine. He eventually retired, and sold the business off to his sister, so they take real good care of us. :thumbsup

Check out this link. There are 13 different discounts here, and I think we have pretty much all of them except one! : https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/discounts

[h=2]Accident-Free Discount[/h]Once your car (or the one it replaced) has been with State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company for at least three continuous years without a chargeable accident during this period, you will receive a discount. This auto insurance discount may increase over time if the policy remains in force and there continues to be no chargeable accidents.
Actually, our Jetta insurance just went up a bit, but not because of us.... Because they changed the class of the vehicle. I don't know how that works, but it is what it is.

True story on the teen drivers - they are guests just like a neighbor or friend. They don't have their own vehicles so they are just guest drivers on ours. I have friends who were told the same thing.... But they don't always offer the information if you don't ask. If you call and say, "I want to add my kid, " then they will do as you ask.

I have periodically gotten quotes from other insurance companies and they are double or triple the rates we get at State Farm. Perhaps it also helps that we haven't had a claim in 15 years.