WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Congrats if you have Geico Auto Ins.

Singleton

Reaction score
As others have said, Mercury IS the worst.

We have State Farm. And I don't pay anything for my kids to drive my cars.

Hard to get much better than that!

What state are your cars licensed in? Each state has different rules. I know in CA, with SF, my son had to be a named driver on one of our cars in order to be insured. Once he moved away for college and was over the age of 18 I was able to drop him, since he became a Colorado licensed driver and no longer was a full time residence at our house.
Also my policies at SF date back to 1986, so we have every discount they can offer and have never heard of being able to allow a minor child (under 18) drive a car without being insured.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Well lets think about this...

Aren't you the guy that said he gets a new car every couple of years?? :D

The newest car I have is my 11 Jetta! Everything else is older than dirt: 99 F350, 00 Durango, 86 F150. My boat is a 97, my Harley is an 07 and my toyhauler is a 00. Been in the same house for over 20 years, and don't have any accidents at all. So why would MY rates go up???

Well, I found out from my wife our home insurance went up a bit when we added to it, but I guess that's to be expected when you add two new rooms, and a whole bunch of other stuff. :)

When we signed up with SF, the agent was a good friend of mine. He eventually retired, and sold the business off to his sister, so they take real good care of us. :thumbsup

Check out this link. There are 13 different discounts here, and I think we have pretty much all of them except one! : https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/discounts

Accident-Free Discount

Once your car (or the one it replaced) has been with State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company for at least three continuous years without a chargeable accident during this period, you will receive a discount. This auto insurance discount may increase over time if the policy remains in force and there continues to be no chargeable accidents.

Rates go up because inflation....

Why does me milk or gas cost more today vs 1995?

I'm doing just fine financially and choose not to drive a bucket. If you play your cards right and buy the right cars they typically do ok. I refuse to drive the desert with my family in a unreliable vehicle

Regardless of the age of the cars I think you will find that your rates are quite a bit different today than they were 25 years ago......If they are in fact less your "friend" is really "taking" care of you on the agency side. In all honesty I would make sure what they are doing is legal and ethical by shopping the policy with another state farm agent. The price should be the same if everything is on the up and up.

As far as the kids not costing to be added to your account that simply isn't true?!?!? Perhaps you are confused because the kids only have a permit and are signed up for no charge under a permit driver program(this is standard for most carriers the charges start when licensed)?

Lots and lots of scary agents out there that will lie or manipulate a poliy or application to keep business on the books.....Always research and shop around if a deal sounds too good to be true. IMG_8063.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What state are your cars licensed in? Each state has different rules. I know in CA, with SF, my son had to be a named driver on one of our cars in order to be insured. Once he moved away for college and was over the age of 18 I was able to drop him, since he became a Colorado licensed driver and no longer was a full time residence at our house.
Also my policies at SF date back to 1986, so we have every discount they can offer and have never heard of being able to allow a minor child (under 18) drive a car without being insured.

I live in SoCal. Everything is registered here. See my wife's post above yours.

Singleton

Reaction score
I live in SoCal. Everything is registered here. See my wife's post above yours.

As an FYI, the SF Accident-Free discount is not authorized to be used in CA by SF. If you look at the link you posted and filter by state you will see what discounts are available in CA. You agent is giving you discounts and information that will void your agreement if you ever have a major claim.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm doing just fine financially and choose not to drive a bucket. If you play your cards right and buy the right cars they typically do ok. I refuse to drive the desert with my family in a unreliable vehicle

Regardless of the age of the cars I think you will find that your rates are quite a bit different today than they were 25 years ago......If they are in fact less your "friend" is really "taking" care of you on the agency side. In all honesty I would make sure what they are doing is legal and ethical by shopping the policy with another state farm agent. The price should be the same if everything is on the up and up.

As far as the kids not costing to be added to your account that simply isn't true?!?!? Perhaps you are confused because the kids only have a permit and are signed up for no charge under a permit driver program(this is standard for most carriers the charges start when licensed)?

Lots and lots of scary agents out there that will lie or manipulate a poliy or application to keep business on the books.....Always research and shop around if a deal sounds too good to be true.

I'm not the one that's confused. ;)

See my wife's post, and that link I posted about SF's multiple discounts. Being old has it's privileges! :D

Singleton

Reaction score
True story on the teen drivers - they are guests just like a neighbor or friend. They don't have their own vehicles so they are just guest drivers on ours. I have friends who were told the same thing.... But they don't always offer the information if you don't ask. If you call and say, "I want to add my kid, " then they will do as you ask. .

This is inaccurate in CA. This applies in other states (Texas as an example), but if your minor driver is under the age of 18 and lives with you full time they must be a named driver on one of your cars. If over 18 and under 25 and not living full time, then yes this applies.

Yellowboat

Reaction score

Lots and lots of scary agents out there that will lie or manipulate a poliy or application to keep business on the books.....Always research and shop around if a deal sounds too good to be true.

having a new car does not mean reliable and it does not matter how much you pay. I have little doubt that if I were to buy a new truck exactly like mine, my current 93 will still be on the road long after the new one is in the junkyard.

good family friends bought a bmw suv for ~90k a couple years back, it did not make the 7 miles home before it shut down and would not restart. I was engaged to a women that bought a brand new highlander that had to be lemon lawed as it had a intagraded control panel that would randomly reset and then for 20+ mins while the computer rebooted the lights, climate control, CC, window, door locks and radio would not work. had to have a new system sent from japan every time. on the 7th one I finally got my lawyer envoled and she walked out with a check. owned it 6 months and only had it 19 days, put more miles on just one of the loaners then she did her brand new car. I bought a brand new chevy truck that had 3k miles shot a spark plug out of one of the cyldiners, watched the tech retap the hole with out pulling the head( got my money back on it)

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Actually, our Jetta insurance just went up a bit, but not because of us.... Because they changed the class of the vehicle. I don't know how that works, but it is what it is.

True story on the teen drivers - they are guests just like a neighbor or friend. They don't have their own vehicles so they are just guest drivers on ours. I have friends who were told the same thing.... But they don't always offer the information if you don't ask. If you call and say, "I want to add my kid, " then they will do as you ask.

I have periodically gotten quotes from other insurance companies and they are double or triple the rates we get at State Farm. Perhaps it also helps that we haven't had a claim in 15 years.

Once proven they reside with you I would think things get all kind of shitty. Of course none of this matters unless they get involved in an accident.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Once proven they reside with you I would think things get all kind of shitty. Of course none of this matters unless they get involved in an accident.

Yea that whole deal is a pain in the ass.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Actually, our Jetta insurance just went up a bit, but not because of us.... Because they changed the class of the vehicle. I don't know how that works, but it is what it is.

True story on the teen drivers - they are guests just like a neighbor or friend. They don't have their own vehicles so they are just guest drivers on ours. I have friends who were told the same thing.... But they don't always offer the information if you don't ask. If you call and say, "I want to add my kid, " then they will do as you ask.

I have periodically gotten quotes from other insurance companies and they are double or triple the rates we get at State Farm. Perhaps it also helps that we haven't had a claim in 15 years.

See my wife's post, and that link I posted about SF's multiple discounts. Being old has it's privileges! :D

Scary agent is all I'm going to say on this one......You guys are walking in a very scary grey area

Permissive coverage is provided for someone that does not live in the household or someone that doesn't drive the vehicle regularly (They typically define this as less than 7 times a year)

PVHCA

Reaction score
Never been my experience I have always gotten what I want and factory parts.

They didn't complain one bit last year when I took a rock to my rubicon windshield and had it replaced at a cost of almost $850.

As far as the kids deal I would verify that's a "State Farm" deal and not an agent deal. Sounds pretty sketchy and it's a bad business model to let kids with a enormous loss ratio to drive for free.....never heard of that aside from shady agents not wanting to loose business and pulling strings to keep rates down.

And lowered rates for 25 years straight....um yeah that's not right either rates for all carriers are a ton more now than even 10 years ago with the cost of shop rates,parts,traffic and cell phones.

Well lets think about this...

The newest car I have is my 11 Jetta! Everything else is older than dirt: 99 F350, 00 Durango, 86 F150. My boat is a 97, my Harley is an 07 and my toyhauler is a 00. Been in the same house for over 20 years, and don't have any accidents at all. So why would MY rates go up???

Well, I found out from my wife our home insurance went up a bit when we added to it, but I guess that's to be expected when you add two new rooms, and a whole bunch of other stuff. :)

When we signed up with SF, the agent was a good friend of mine. He eventually retired, and sold the business off to his sister, so they take real good care of us. :thumbsup

Check out this link. There are 13 different discounts here, and I think we have pretty much all of them except one! : https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/discounts

[h=2]Accident-Free Discount[/h]Once your car (or the one it replaced) has been with State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company for at least three continuous years without a chargeable accident during this period, you will receive a discount. This auto insurance discount may increase over time if the policy remains in force and there continues to be no chargeable accidents.

Have never heard of "free" for kids to be insured. My SF rep is a great friend and golfing buddy, he would tell me if this was the case. Not calling you out Joe but I've just never heard of anything being free in the insurance business. I have all the available discounts as well that I qualify for through SF.

PVHCA

Reaction score
GEICO = Warren Buffett, enough said.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Have never heard of "free" for kids to be insured. My SF rep is a great friend and golfing buddy, he would tell me if this was the case. Not calling you out Joe but I've just never heard of anything being free in the insurance business. I have all the available discounts as well that I qualify for through SF.

As my wife posted, think about it this way...

If I lend you my car do drive, do I have to have you on my insurance policy first?? Of course not. Just like when you rent a car, you don't have to buy THEIR insurance. If you have a good policy, you can lend your car out to anyone, and anyone can drive your cars. I know from experience, unlike what CT posted, all insurance companies are NOT the same.

And as far as new cars being more reliable that old cars???

I'll just leave this here....

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?153226-Doing-some-SUV-shopping :rolleyes

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Geico operates at crazy high loss ratios and makes there $$$ investing premiums and reserve claims surpluses..... Basically they can offer cheaper rates than most because the company is operated lean and WB makes good investments.

which is funny as every time i have got a quote from them, it was more for a 6 month policy then i was paying for the year.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
As my wife posted, think about it this way...

If I lend you my car do drive, do I have to have you on my insurance policy first?? Of course not. Just like when you rent a car, you don't have to buy THEIR insurance. If you have a good policy, you can lend your car out to anyone, and anyone can drive your cars. I know from experience, unlike what CT posted, all insurance companies are NOT the same.

And as far as new cars being more reliable that old cars???

I'll just leave this here....

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?153226-Doing-some-SUV-shopping :rolleyes

This will be the last time I will comment on this.....If you wish to manage your insurance needs with a pair of rose covered glasses on by all means put your financial future in the hands of that agent.

Comparing a 17 year old kid that lives in the household that has regular access to the keys of your vehicle to your sister that lives in Florida that visits once every 3 years is a stretch.....

I posted a direct screen shot that says adding children raises rates with State Farm, you guys just said that if they list them on the policy it increases the price and a couple members have posted that what you are doing isn't the way it's supposed to be done.......If you want to keep saving $$$ by not doing it the right way go for it. Just don't start a thread complaining that insurance companies suck when you end up getting what you paid for in the event of a loss.

I let clients leave weekly when they call me up and say they found a new insurance agent with a better rate that will commit fraud and lie about there annual mileage,who drives what car or drivers in the household...There isn't a single client in my book (friends,family,etc...) that I would be willing to let jeopardize my agencies future.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
which is funny as every time i have got a quote from them, it was more for a 6 month policy then i was paying for the year.

Geico has had some really good rates in Socal for about 2 years now and I believe is the fastest growing auto insurer.....They are known for lowering rates operating at a high loss ratio and then when shit goes sideways they raise rates through the roof.

They weren't even a competitor of ours until very recently.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This will be the last time I will comment on this.....If you wish to manage your insurance needs with a pair of rose covered glasses on by all means put your financial future in the hands of that agent.

Comparing a 17 year old kid that lives in the household that has regular access to the keys of your vehicle to your sister that lives in Florida that visits once every 3 years is a stretch.....

I posted a direct screen shot that says adding children raises rates with State Farm, you guys just said that if they list them on the policy it increases the price and a couple members have posted that what you are doing isn't the way it's supposed to be done.......If you want to keep saving $$$ by not doing it the right way go for it. Just don't start a thread complaining that insurance companies suck when you end up getting what you paid for in the event of a loss.

I let clients leave weekly when they call me up and say they found a new insurance agent with a better rate that will commit fraud and lie about there annual mileage,who drives what car or drivers in the household...There isn't a single client in my book (friends,family,etc...) that I would be willing to let jeopardize my agencies future.

Wow...

Where the fuck did you come up with the sister scenario?? And where did I start a thread complaining of ANYTHING??? Seems to me you're the only one crying the blues...

So it seems clear now, your are an insurance agent? Who exactly do you represent?? :hmm

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Wow...

Where the fuck did you come up with the sister scenario?? And where did I start a thread complaining of ANYTHING??? Seems to me you're the only one crying the blues...

So it seems clear now, your are an insurance agent? Who exactly do you represent?? :hmm

He owns the company Joe. He knows his shit. Many here are insured through him. I would be also but he doesn't carry commercial lines.

He's telling you to look out you;re on thin ice with that program.

Like I said to Lori....its all fine until some accident BS goes down and then you really find out if your agents recommendations hold reality.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Wow...

I have been in the industry since age 14 and licensed since age 18......We are a personal lines broker

Not crying the Blues we are very fortunate as we have been providing top tier service to our customers since 1960 and have a great book of business. I choose not to write business for most friends because they always want to pay less and have you bend the rules when shit goes sideways......I don't like games

If you are happy with the service you get and the price you pay stay there. :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
He owns the company Joe. He knows his shit. Many here are insured through him. I would be also but he doesn't carry commercial lines.

He's telling you to look out you;re on thin ice with that program.

Like I said to Lori....its all fine until some accident BS goes down and then you really find out if your agents recommendations hold reality.

Seems odd he won't say who he represents though...

I just checked his sig line, I'm guessing Mercury?? Kinna explains why he's getting all butt hurt! :D

Dave, I just got off the phone with one of my Boy Scout dads. He runs a Mercury Insurance office. http://familyagent.com/

He said two things to me...

One, stop talking to Geico. There is no reason to talk to them.

Two, call the clams office, and ask to speak to the supervisor about your claim. He said what you're going through is really odd, and doesn't understand it at all. He says he Sometimes has to call the claims office and rattle their cages, but normally they take good/quick care of this stuff. He said once you get to the right supervisor, things should straighten right out. He also said the voice statement sounds normal. :thumbsup

I asked him about the deal with OUR kids, and he also said something doesn't sound right! I'm gonna have Lori run our policy over to him, and have him take a look at it. Wanna get to the bottom of this, even if it ends up costing me more money. :(

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

I just checked his sig line, I'm guessing Mercury?? Kinna explains why he's getting all butt hurt! :D

Dave, I just got off the phone with one of my Boy Scout dads. He runs a Mercury Insurance office. http://familyagent.com/

Two, call the clams office, and ask to speak to the supervisor about your claim. He said what you're going through is really odd, and doesn't understand it at all. He says he Sometimes has to call the claims office and rattle their cages, but normally they take good/quick care of this stuff. He said once you get to the right supervisor, things should straighten right out. He also said the voice statement sounds normal. :thumbsup

I asked him about the deal with OUR kids, and he also said something doesn't sound right! I'm gonna have Lori run our policy over to him, and have him take a look at it. Wanna get to the bottom of this, even if it ends up costing me more money. :(

Thanks Joe. Good idea on the policy having it looked at. You also have to much to loose.

PVHCA

Reaction score

I believe Brandon deals with Mercury and others, he's giving you very sound advice Joe. U are far too smart to think anything is free my friend. Just sayin

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I believe Brandon deals with Mercury and others, he's giving you very sound advice Joe. U are far too smart to think anything is free my friend. Just sayin

I believe he does too. Pretty much explains his whole attitude...

I'd probably be offended too, if someone was insulting who I worked for But, I sure wouldn't turn around and try insult someone personally over it, that's not the way I operate.

I'll take my buckets and go home now...

;)

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
I have Geico for my side by side and Mercury for my cars. I've had accidents in both and been treated great by both. Sucks to hear about your daughter, but I'm glad she is okay. I have a 16 year old daughter that takes her driving test next month. I'm not looking forward to the bump in our insurance, but I've planned for it. Good luck!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I believe he does too. Pretty much explains his whole attitude...

I'd probably be offended too, if someone was insulting who I worked for But, I sure wouldn't turn around and try insult someone personally over it, that's not the way I operate.

I'll take my buckets and go home now...

;)

Joe,

I apologize if you took it to mean I was slamming your cars. That wasn't my intention I was just stating that I choose not to drive older high mileage vehicles and enjoy a nice reliable car.For all I know you have made amazing financial decisions based on those saved payments and are sitting on a huge retirement account.

Who I represent has nothing to do with this thread and trust me after 25+ years in the business I don't get my feelings hurt when someone says a company I represent sucks or that insurance is a rip off. Insurance is like a trip to mcdonalds sometimes you get a great burger and other times you get served a big pile of shit. There is not a single carrier that doesn't have people that feel like they were wronged or treated more than fairly.....that's the nature of the business

I was trying to give you advice as a friend and you shunned it because you're an expert in the field...

Maybe I should have added a smiley face to make it ok like you?:D

-------------------------------

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Joe,

I apologize if you took it to mean I was slamming your cars. That wasn't my intention I was just stating that I choose not to drive older high mileage vehicles and enjoy a nice reliable car.For all I know you have made amazing financial decisions based on those saved payments and are sitting on a huge retirement account.

Who I represent has nothing to do with this thread and trust me after 25+ years in the business I don't get my feelings hurt when someone says a company I represent sucks or that insurance is a rip off. Insurance is like a trip to mcdonalds sometimes you get a great burger and other times you get served a big pile of shit. There is not a single carrier that doesn't have people that feel like they were wronged or treated more than fairly.....that's the nature of the business

I was trying to give you advice as a friend and you shunned it because you're an expert in the field...

Apology accepted. Thanks for that. I wasn't really offended, just wanted to point out how you came across...

I'm no expert in the sales end, I have no knowledge of it.

Having spent 30+ years working at car dealerships, and having to deal with pretty much every insurance company out there, from theft jobs to body shop jobs, I know who pays and who doesn't. I'm speaking from real life, personal experience here. If that 30 years makes me an expert in the service end, so be it.

I did take your advice, and have pretty much confirmed what I believe, to be true, straight from the policy manual. I'm not done checking yet though. I NEED to be sure what I'm actually reading is being interpreted correctly by me, and my agent! Just cause my agent said this or that, won't hold a candle in court. I wanna see it stated in writing, when I have it ALL, I'll let you know, and post it up so everyone can see. :thumbsup

Mrs.HLB

Reaction score
Apology accepted. Thanks for that. I wasn't really offended, just wanted to point out how you came across...

I'm no expert in the sales end, I have no knowledge of it.

Having spent 30+ years working at car dealerships, and having to deal with pretty much every insurance company out there, from theft jobs to body shop jobs, I know who pays and who doesn't. I'm speaking from real life, personal experience here. If that 30 years makes me an expert in the service end, so be it.

I did take your advice, and have pretty much confirmed what I believe, to be true, straight from the policy manual. I'm not done checking yet though. I NEED to be sure what I'm actually reading is being interpreted correctly by me, and my agent! Just cause my agent said this or that, won't hold a candle in court. I wanna see it stated in writing, when I have it ALL, I'll let you know, and post it up so everyone can see. :thumbsup

Hi Joe,
I work for a State Farm agent, if you would like to review your policies please give me a call so we can discuss. I don't think you are being insured correctly and would hate for something to happen and have no coverage.

Thanks,
Mrs. HLB (Athena)
714-777-8000

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Hi Joe,
I work for a State Farm agent, if you would like to review your policies please give me a call so we can discuss. I don't think you are being insured correctly and would hate for something to happen and have no coverage.

Thanks,
Mrs. HLB (Athena)
714-777-8000
Thanks the offer.

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score

My best friend and twice a week golfing buddy owns a SF agency in Hemet. I just texted him and asked him about all of the above. He just laughed and said "that's not how it works." I have my homeowner's insurance and umbrella through him, but not my auto insurance. I don't think he has any reason to lie to me. And I'm in the same situation as most 50 years olds, perfect driving record, my wife has a perfect driving record, haven't made an auto insurance claim on any kind in probably over 20 years, teen driver with a 4.0 GPA+, no tickets or accidents.

BigHeart

RiverMaster
Reaction score
The policy book actually identifies "resident relatives" as those who are covered as insured. Not "visiting" but "resident" relatives.
759ad9b59e37dd0089cd60ac8b9d2dc1.jpg

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
How the hell can it be anything but the other person's fault? It was REAR ENDED.

ASAIK in Commifornistan that makes you automatically at fault.....

There are some instances where it can be the parson who was hit from behinds fault.

Some agencies have policies about NOT taking non injury traffic accident reports. Its actually a good call as all you are doing is the job of the insurance company. Its a big pull on resources for a civil issue.

It is likely a he said, she said type of accident. While she was struck from behind, it could be difficult to prove fault absent a disinterested witness. Sometimes the physical evidence will help, sometimes not. The most important part is that she was not injured.

Mrs.HLB

Reaction score
The policy book actually identifies "resident relatives" as those who are covered as insured. Not "visiting" but "resident" relatives.
759ad9b59e37dd0089cd60ac8b9d2dc1.jpg

Hi there,
Your policy with SF is a permissive use policy. So if you lend your car to a friend or family member that is not living with you, as long as they have permission from you they would be covered in case of an accident. We do not need to add them as a driver to your policy. On the other hand, if your kids are living with you, licensed and driving your vehicles then they need to be listed & rated as drivers to that particular vehicle they drive the most.
Hope this helps..

Mrs. HLB

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
There are some instances where it can be the parson who was hit from behinds fault.

Then there's always this...the 'ol "throw my car into reverse and claim you rear-ended me" trick

[video=youtube_https;PXuEcfLl698]https://youtu.be/PXuEcfLl698[/video]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Then there's always this...the 'ol "throw my car into reverse and claim you rear-ended me" trick

He can have his life back when he stops lying his sorry ass off! lol

So many insurance scams out there these days. I really think OC's daughter has fallen into one. Some people just suck...

:bash:

BigHeart

RiverMaster
Reaction score
Hi there,
Your policy with SF is a permissive use policy. So if you lend your car to a friend or family member that is not living with you, as long as they have permission from you they would be covered in case of an accident. We do not need to add them as a driver to your policy. On the other hand, if your kids are living with you, licensed and driving your vehicles then they need to be listed & rated as drivers to that particular vehicle they drive the most.
Hope this helps..

Mrs. HLB

On the contrary, the policy page I posted states that "INSURED" is "You *AND* resident relatives" (and our kids definitely fall under the 'resident relative' definition -- the exception being a married dependent child who is away at school and no longer maintains the home address... but if you don't believe me, I'll post that page, too).

Now, perhaps the difference here is that, again, our kids don't have their own cars nor are they "regular" drivers on any of our cars. We parents own all vehicles and have owned them long before the kids started driving. No cars were purchased nor designated to be regularly used by the kids. At 18 & 16, they have driven to school by themselves four times and one time, respectively, in the past two years. Hubby and I drive the vehicles in our home 99.5% of the time (probably closer to 99.9%). Not that any of that is specified anywhere in the policy, but I think identifying a new "regular" driver would fulfill our duty to SF, if we had a new "regular" driver.

So, we have it verbally from our agent, confirmed by friends also insured by SF, and in black and white on the policy. How can you argue with the actual policy???

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

The guy that hit my daughter claimed exactly that. "She hit me."

UPDATE:

I just talked to my agent because the adjuster just is not calling back. Daughter is currently listed as NOT at fault in Mercury's system. They have up to 30 days to change it but its already been 10 days and total damage to both cars is low in their terms so my agent thinks we will receive a letter in the next few days closing this. Geico can say whatever they want and Mercury can make up their own mind if they don't agree.

So just maybe.....we're done here.

I turned the car into the repair shop today independently of this recent phone call. 10 Days of this bullshit is enough.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Hi there,
Hope this helps..

Mrs. HLB

This..????

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/resources/new-teen-drivers

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Still doesn't say teen drivers (nor any other family members, i.e. brother, mother, grandmother, etc.) aren't covered *nor* does it say that they must be added to the policy. If you *want* to insure them, you can do that. But they are covered under our policy, as stated in the actual policy.

You may want to google "resident relative". There are several cases that didn't go so well for the policy holder. How much more could it cost to put a teenage kid on a insurance plan.:rules :p

http://www.producersweb.com/r/FCS/d/contentFocus/?pcID=382e247d0f7ecaaf171dff228569204e

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The guy that hit my daughter claimed exactly that. "She hit me."

UPDATE:

I just talked to my agent because the adjuster just is not calling back. Daughter is currently listed as NOT at fault in Mercury's system. They have up to 30 days to change it but its already been 10 days and total damage to both cars is low in their terms so my agent thinks we will receive a letter in the next few days closing this. Geico can say whatever they want and Mercury can make up their own mind if they don't agree.

So just maybe.....we're done here.

I turned the car into the repair shop today independently of this recent phone call. 10 Days of this bullshit is enough.

Poor Kirstin must feel like shit. :(

Glad to hear you are moving forward! Need to put all this shit behind you so we can get back to having fun (whatever the fuck that means!). :D

Singleton

Reaction score
On the contrary, the policy page I posted states that "INSURED" is "You *AND* resident relatives" (and our kids definitely fall under the 'resident relative' definition -- the exception being a married dependent child who is away at school and no longer maintains the home address... but if you don't believe me, I'll post that page, too).

Now, perhaps the difference here is that, again, our kids don't have their own cars nor are they "regular" drivers on any of our cars. We parents own all vehicles and have owned them long before the kids started driving. No cars were purchased nor designated to be regularly used by the kids. At 18 & 16, they have driven to school by themselves four times and one time, respectively, in the past two years. Hubby and I drive the vehicles in our home 99.5% of the time (probably closer to 99.9%). Not that any of that is specified anywhere in the policy, but I think identifying a new "regular" driver would fulfill our duty to SF, if we had a new "regular" driver.

So, we have it verbally from our agent, confirmed by friends also insured by SF, and in black and white on the policy. How can you argue with the actual policy???

You need to read the exclusions. I get what you are saying but SF has a few exclusions

WildHorses24

Reaction score
You need to read the exclusions. I get what you are saying but SF has a few exclusions
It's not an exclusion. It is a rating issue, but not a coverage issue. Mercury, well, I'd let CT explain what happens in this senerio... [emoji6]

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Wow...

Think it should of been the other way around, you owe Cole Trickle and apology... he provided some detailed info.

Joe,