WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Beachcomber Resort

TBulger

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of Park Models for sale at Beachcomber Resort. I think, part of it at least, was sold last year and there were a lot of owners upset, with some of the changes that were being proposed, or made at the time. Have things settled down a little and are owners happy with the way things have turned out? Thanks :)

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The prices went way up for leases is what I heard.

Taboma

Reaction score
Space rent / lease pretty much doubled for most after Peter Patel bought the joint. :thumbsdown

Initially park model value pretty much went to shit overnight. Several owners took a couple of grand and sold their places to a company that hauled them away to another park.

Patel bought many others, which have just about all been resold. Patel is now a park model dealer and is selling new PMs to go on any empty lots.

Community center / pool renovations almost done. Launch ramp upgrade including dock has been approved by Army Corp, so that should get underway soon.

New PM sites to be added to point between docks and Site Six. New PM sites will also replace current storage lot between Beachcomber and Islander near the launch ramp.

Sam's Beachcomber Resort (New name) is fenced off from old Beachcomber mobile home area.

PM prices have started to regain some traction, especially along the water, nobody is giving those away cheap -- although still less than a few years ago.

Still more promises of awesomeness to come, ha ha --- yeah, we're all holding our breaths :D

BrianB

Reaction score
Accurate account...
I've frequented the park over the last 15 yrs, bought a mobile 5 yrs ago, I could write a novel
The improvements that were promised by the new management of Sams Beachcomber have yet to happen. Additional utilities have been placed.
Rent has doubled in some areas of the park. . The increased rent has also chased out retired folks
Its still a flashback to the 70's for now, but for us its all about convenience.

The orig Beachcomber management still owns the mobile home park. Now they have something to prove.
New block walls and greeting/pool center.
Its undergoing a major facelift for the first time in recorded history.

Taboma

Reaction score
Is there something more specific you seek ? Are you buying or selling ? :D

Pretty hard to speak for all the owners. I'm sure the mood of any particular owner is essentially motivated by how you've been negatively impacted by the rate increase.

Did we get something for our money ? Uhhhhh, no, well OK, they put in new laundry machines :D But, we do get a newsletter monthly with a lot of stimulating promises :rolleyes

One new thing and it may or may not be a negative (Depending on if it's next door to you), is a whole butt load of owners are now doing short term, weekend, weekly sub-renting. That was always a big no-no before. Seems the new owner has allowed it simply to keep folks from bailing.

Some of us long timers aren't particular happy with all the renters who basically could give a rat's ass about the place and occasionally show it. :thumbsdown

They've put on more security, the office is open on weekends, there's fewer RV spaces being rented (With some exceptions, holidays etc.) --- did I mention the new laundry machines ? :D

With exception of the water front or great view spaces, it's a great time to buy. In fact if you can find a water front, it's a great time to buy them as well, pricing being what it was more in the early 2000's.

Life goes on, the Beachcomber goes on, reality has set in, so it's party time again :thumbsup :D

If there's something specific you're seeking, you can always PM me

BrianB

Reaction score
There are a number of units for sale in Sams Beachcomber. The price point makes no sense to me.
Back row, two bedroom, no view for 45k. In the circle for 20k.
Fixer upper 7-12k. Most are one bedroom.
I have yet to see any waterfront for sale.
As mentioned they are a new dealer. Three new floor plans on site.
Rumor has it they may develop the open area between the docks and site six.
According to the management. "This will be the premier resort in the next five years"
They have remodeled the laundry room :rolleyes

The Beachcomber has larger double wides.
Some of these units are placed over the two property lines, not sure if a deal has been struck
Full time residents
At this time you can pay Sams for access to the launch ramp and pool.

Both parks are pretty relaxed

guest hs

Reaction score
Is there a place online to look at units for sale in the Beachcomber and Islander?

guest hs

Reaction score
Anyone know how much the space rent is in the beachcomber?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is there a place online to look at units for sale in the Beachcomber and Islander?

by the time you buy the place and pay space rent you can have a decent house with a garage in town..

guest hs

Reaction score
Wow that's no lie I just called Beach Comber our old park model A73 not on the water but has a water view is now $1325 a month the trailer is only 20K! I think 20 years ago we sold that trailer for 35K

Taboma

Reaction score
by the time you buy the place and pay space rent you can have a decent house with a garage in town..

Doesn't work for everybody Dave, that's why we unloaded our house in town over 21 years ago and have been sittin on the water at the Beachcomber ever since.
We wanted what you have or had at the Keys, walk down the stairs, go boating, jet skiing, or for a swim. Couldn't find that at the lake and didn't like the river scene like I did in the 70's.
Bought an 80' long garage in town in 95' to store the toys. Being out on the boat all day was damaging my wife's Irish skin big time, so we'd boat awhile, or jet ski awhile and then go to the house and do what, watch TV ? That got old quick. Plus pulling the boat daily, cleaning it up, re-launching daily, got to be a bit of a grind.

So one day we're idling past the Beachcomber, where we'd already looked, watched this guy hang a For Sale sign off his deck railing, pulled in, walked up a few stairs and bought it, done.

For the past 21 years we've sat in the shade on our deck, with 200 degree views of the lake, still feeling apart of it, able to watch all the action and take a cooling dip or go down and sit on the beach if we're in the mood. The only reason I can find for regretting selling our house is, we should have kept it and rented it :grumble: But didn't want to deal with renters tearing the place up and in those days houses were renting pretty damned cheap.

Sure it sucks to be paying rent, but it didn't such when the value of our place we'd bought in 95' tripled in value, but that kinda went to shit last year when the rent doubled :D
But then house values haven't always remained stable in that town either. If I sold it today, I'd still make a chunk of profit and the previous rent for 19 years was damned reasonable.

I can say this, I agree it's not necessarily as secure an investment as having a house in town, but it's been one hell of a lot better of an investment than our sports fishing boat we had for 16 years in Mission Bay that we were paying slip fees for :D

I could sell it today and buy a house in town, doesn't interest me in the least. Ask your buddy Paul, you get spoiled quickly being right on the water, we can't go back !!

We are kinda getting a bit burned out with the Havasu action after so many years, so we're back to eyeing a nice big comfy boat on big blue again. There's nothing financially wise about that move, but hey, it's about having fun and recreating !! :thumbsup

What does interest me, is AJ's deal he's got going on in Florida, that's something I've really got to look into. I keep trying to convince myself and my gal, the weather in the summer really doesn't suck that bad :D

Taboma

Reaction score
Wow that's no lie I just called Beach Comber our old park model A73 not on the water but has a water view is now $1325 a month the trailer is only 20K! I think 20 years ago we sold that trailer for 35K

Yeah but they just replaced the laundry machines :thumbsup and are remodeling the clubhouse --- of course in 21 years I've never even been in the clubhouse :D

We just try and enjoy it, not over think it :D

gmnhra

Reaction score
Doesn't work for everybody Dave, that's why we unloaded our house in town over 21 years ago and have been sittin on the water at the Beachcomber ever since.
We wanted what you have or had at the Keys, walk down the stairs, go boating, jet skiing, or for a swim. Couldn't find that at the lake and didn't like the river scene like I did in the 70's.
Bought an 80' long garage in town in 95' to store the toys. Being out on the boat all day was damaging my wife's Irish skin big time, so we'd boat awhile, or jet ski awhile and then go to the house and do what, watch TV ? That got old quick. Plus pulling the boat daily, cleaning it up, re-launching daily, got to be a bit of a grind.

So one day we're idling past the Beachcomber, where we'd already looked, watched this guy hang a For Sale sign off his deck railing, pulled in, walked up a few stairs and bought it, done.

For the past 21 years we've sat in the shade on our deck, with 200 degree views of the lake, still feeling apart of it, able to watch all the action and take a cooling dip or go down and sit on the beach if we're in the mood. The only reason I can find for regretting selling our house is, we should have kept it and rented it :grumble: But didn't want to deal with renters tearing the place up and in those days houses were renting pretty damned cheap.

Sure it sucks to be paying rent, but it didn't such when the value of our place we'd bought in 95' tripled in value, but that kinda went to shit last year when the rent doubled :D
But then house values haven't always remained stable in that town either. If I sold it today, I'd still make a chunk of profit and the previous rent for 19 years was damned reasonable.

I can say this, I agree it's not necessarily as secure an investment as having a house in town, but it's been one hell of a lot better of an investment than our sports fishing boat we had for 16 years in Mission Bay that we were paying slip fees for :D

I could sell it today and buy a house in town, doesn't interest me in the least. Ask your buddy Paul, you get spoiled quickly being right on the water, we can't go back !!

We are kinda getting a bit burned out with the Havasu action after so many years, so we're back to eyeing a nice big comfy boat on big blue again. There's nothing financially wise about that move, but hey, it's about having fun and recreating !! :thumbsup

What does interest me, is AJ's deal he's got going on in Florida, that's something I've really got to look into. I keep trying to convince myself and my gal, the weather in the summer really doesn't suck that bad :D

Yep...I consider our place on the water at the Islander a complete expense with no opportunity for investment growth. It is an investment in my sanity. Arrive, unlock door, walk down to the water or walk (ok take the golf cart 100 yards) to the docks and uncover the toon, walk down steps to the water............come and go during the day....and enjoy a "resort" atmosphere with some great people

you just don't get that at 1234 Acoma drive...

As with everything in life.. to each, his own..

guest hs

Reaction score
I was all for this and I could even buy our old PM back until they said $1325 for rent that is a joke!

Taboma

Reaction score
I was all for this and I could even buy our old PM back until they said $1325 for rent that is a joke!

You're looking at it all wrong :D

That $15 or $ 20K you're saving on the purchase will easily subsidize your rent for a couple of years --- then after that, you may or may not be laughing :D

What else ya gonna do, piss away $ 20K a year on cruises, then die and let the kids get it all :eek

Good Luck whatever you decide, I'm only laughing cuz I'm watching my life clock tick down while I sit here pondering what to do with the time I've got left --- well that and keep on paying the Beachcomber rent until I come up with Plan "B". :headscratch:

guest hs

Reaction score
I would really like to be in a park like needles havasu or parker very close to the water but need at least 2 beds and 2 baths

Taboma

Reaction score
I would really like to be in a park like needles havasu or parker very close to the water but need at least 2 beds and 2 baths

Havasu Landing perhaps ? At least with including the river sections it opens up more options for you.

boatpi

Reaction score
I had a 55' unit in the permanent section years ago . Something to be said when the park has its own ramp, launch in 5 minutes, boat in your own slip while you are in town, storage onsite , and as said in many park models water front view. Price sucks but it does work for many. When I sold it and bought a huge house with a 5 star view, I spent time working in the house and in the pool not the lake. I did regret that many times. Nothing like a lake lice run up river mid week with no one seeking or a 35 mile ski pull from basically my dock area.

Taboma

Reaction score
I had a 55' unit in the permanent section years ago . Something to be said when the park has its own ramp, launch in 5 minutes, boat in your own slip while you are in town, storage onsite , and as said in many park models water front view. Price sucks but it does work for many. When I sold it and bought a huge house with a 5 star view, I spent time working in the house and in the pool not the lake. I did regret that many times. Nothing like a lake lice run up river mid week with no one seeking or a 35 mile ski pull from basically my dock area.

Your story reminds me of my youth spending summers at Lake Arrowhead. Back in the 50's my parents had a tiny trailer in Lake Side Trailer park, in Blue Jay Bay. Over the years the trailers got larger and more comfy, but when the lake level allowed, our boat and dock were within spitting distance off our deck. Other years the dock got moved out, but still right there. Then in the mid-60's dad bought a house over on the north shore with an awesome dock with an enclosed cabana at the top of the dock ramp.

Initially it seemed like the perfect setup, but as you stated and we quickly learned, for almost two summers and now winters too, we spent the majority of the time fixing up the house, maintaining the landscaping and painting. Where before we'd spent all summer boating, skiing and playing, now we were just spending time working on two homes.

About half way through the second summer, thankfully Dad had seen the light, we simply weren't having fun. Sold the place, was able to buy a nicer trailer two doors down and right on the water from where we'd started and we were back to being trailer trash, but back to enjoying our summers on the water.
Plus, the socializing and parties for my parents, being back with my ski buddies and the park girls, lots of girls :D
Ended up staying there for another 12 years, never once regretting selling the big fancy vacation house.

Our motivation for purchasing the place at the Beachcomber 21 years ago, was simply replicating the carefree lifestyle I'd enjoyed so much from my Arrowhead summers.

And we have, except then came the wake surfers :D Oh, and the girls, my wife won't let me play with the resort girls :bash: