WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Schiada 20' redoing the floors in Balsa and re rigging it

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
That would look really cool in a two tone, gray with blue inset horsey's :). Is this stuff rubber or neoprene or nylon or......... I have never seen it in person and am just curious. Would be cool on the trailer steps also. Is it expensive, oh wait its for a boat of course it is, what was I thinking!

It's feels like the old hydro turf stuff from the old jet ski days. Yes it's kinda pricey. [emoji16]

rivergames

Reaction score
So I think I'm gonna do seadeck/gator step on the catwalk. I will have the Schiada name and the seahorse logo on it. Here's what it looks like.
View attachment 490190

With my next project coming up, I am going to do the whole interior floors in that stuff along with the schiada logo. It's gonna be bitchen :thumbsup

I got the idea from looking at a wakeboard boat at Fox's...I don't know if I should be proud to say that though :rolleyes

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Ok dumb ? Cat walk ? I am having a brain fart [emoji202]

The section in the middle of the trailer you walk v-drives on and off the trailer
Image1465491318.529726.jpg
Beartrailers is installing steel that I can stick the material to.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
With my next project coming up, I am going to do the whole interior floors in that stuff along with the schiada logo. It's gonna be bitchen :thumbsup

I got the idea from looking at a wakeboard boat at Fox's...I don't know if I should be proud to say that though :rolleyes

Some of those boats are pretty bitchin.

Backlash

Reaction score
A lot of guys have been using this on their flats boats back home for years. It's not cheap but it sure is nice!! Looking forward to your rigging pics! ;)

aaronschiada

Reaction score
saw this trailer when i was down at Bear having my Cole trailer redone. super custom setup, and really clean. makes me wanna redo my trailer...almost. haha. lookin good bud.

Backlash

Reaction score
PD that looks fantastic!! Hurry up and bolt all the shiny stuff on and get her sitting on those new shoes!! Been looking forward to an update on your thread!! ;)

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
how much does that thing weigh? yikes.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
also whats the deal with those supports for the triple fenders? def cool idea... is there like a rubber pad or do the fenders get glued to those little flat pads? i hate how flimsy my triple fenders are... dont even think about using em as a step.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
also whats the deal with those supports for the triple fenders? def cool idea... is there like a rubber pad or do the fenders get glued to those little flat pads? i hate how flimsy my triple fenders are... dont even think about using em as a step.

Yes rubber pads are on top of it. He's been doing these supports for years. He can add them to any trailer.

oldschool

Reaction score
One question though. Is there a reason he didn't run a couple pieces front to back on the prop guard?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
One question though. Is there a reason he didn't run a couple pieces front to back on the prop guard?

It's 1/4" plate and maybe 4" wide he said it ain't gonna bend and it's got pretty high ground clearance. The rear tires are only 4-5" in front of the guard so I don't think it's gonna drag on too many driveways.
I didn't make it easy on him I wanted the boat as low as possible on the trailer for a certain look. [emoji16]

oldschool

Reaction score
It's 1/4" plate and maybe 4" wide he said it ain't gonna bend and it's got pretty high ground clearance. The rear tires are only 4-5" in front of the guard so I don't think it's gonna drag on too many driveways.
I didn't make it easy on him I wanted the boat as low as possible on the trailer for a certain look. [emoji16]

Gotcha. I guess I'm just a nervous Nelly, There's alot of money under the boat back there between the strut, prop shaft and prop. I'm thinking of enclosing my prop guard so i don't have to pull the prop when I travel. But again, your trailer is over the top nice.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Gotcha. I guess I'm just a nervous Nelly, There's alot of money under the boat back there between the strut, prop shaft and prop. I'm thinking of enclosing my prop guard so i don't have to pull the prop when I travel. But again, your trailer is over the top nice.

Thank you.

lenmann

Reaction score
That trailer turned out so nice it could be it could be a show piece on its own. Couple it with your boat and it's a new benchmark. Well done sir.

Speaking of your 20, any updates on the rigging?

Thanks for taking us on the journey with you.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
That trailer turned out so nice it could be it could be a show piece on its own. Couple it with your boat and it's a new benchmark. Well done sir.

Speaking of your 20, any updates on the rigging?

Thanks for taking us on the journey with you.

Thank you very much.
After everything I've done on it we noticed the balsa under nonskid on the deck had started to delaminate so they are cutting it out and redoing the balsa. [emoji20]

lenmann

Reaction score
Ouch! Well at least you caught it now.

What does delam in the balsa on the underside of the bow/deck look like? Wondering what to look for...

Not sure if you mentioned it earlier, who is rigging your boat?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Ouch! Well at least you caught it now.

What does delam in the balsa on the underside of the bow/deck look like? Wondering what to look for...

Not sure if you mentioned it earlier, who is rigging your boat?

The resin that held the balsa to the glass was pulling apart/separating.
So-Cal Speed & Marine is doing all the work on the boat.

Joker

Reaction score
The trailer turned out awesome Dave.[emoji106]

Boat211

Reaction score
Been anxious to see updates. You've done such an outstanding job to this point. Can't wait to see what's next.

Backlash

Reaction score
Alright Buddy it's been a little while since we've seen any pics of the boat. :D

Give us a little sneak peek at how this beauty is coming along!!

lenmann

Reaction score
That looks like a fun job...laying on your back in an enclosed space grinding fiberglass on a warm summer day. #itchyscratchy

I am curious about how they are going "bed" the balsa core to the underside of the deck. Unlike the floors where the balsa core is largely decorative, its a structural core on the deck so a good bond seems important. Its a lot easier when the deck is in the mold vs. an assembled boat sitting on the running surface. Maybe they flip it?

Thanks for the update.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
That looks like a fun job...laying on your back in an enclosed space grinding fiberglass on a warm summer day. #itchyscratchy

I am curious about how they are going "bed" the balsa core to the underside of the deck. Unlike the floors where the balsa core is largely decorative, its a structural core on the deck so a good bond seems important. Its a lot easier when the deck is in the mold vs. an assembled boat sitting on the running surface. Maybe they flip it?

Thanks for the update.

Ya it's not easy. Very small section at a time with support underneath to apply pressure where needed.

lenmann

Reaction score
Are you re-rigging with the original/stock location for the motor, v-drive, strut, etc?

What approach are you taking on the cav plate set-up? Stock or longer? Pedal + lock out handle?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Are you re-rigging with the original/stock location for the motor, v-drive, strut, etc?

What approach are you taking on the cav plate set-up? Stock or longer? Pedal + lock out handle?

All new hardware. Everything is going back the same way. Plates, vdrive and strut are set already.

Backlash

Reaction score
Definitely not a job for Sissy's. It looks like it's coming along. Will essentially be a brand new boat from top to bottom...at a fraction of the cost. ;)

As always, thanks for the updates!

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Dave, Any pictures of the trailer finished with the cat walk?