WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garth Tagge and Jim Melley die in Potomac River accident

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Very sad there has been yet another tragedy in the sport we love. Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
That video made me shiver. Absolutely horrible. Thoughts and prayers to the families of both gentlemen.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Just saw it, horrible to watch.
RIP to the gentlemen who lost their lives doing what they loved

rrrr

Reaction score
I've been involved in open wheel and LSR racing at the top levels of the sport, and death has been a visitor. I don't know anything about cats, and I've never been over 80 MPH on the water, so take my comments as you wish.

There are a bunch of comments on the linked news story, people saying changes need to be made, capsules, canopies, speed limits, etc.

It seems to me that if you are running near 200 MPH in an open boat on the water, there's an implicit agreement between the crew and the water that if anything goes wrong, it's going to be the end. Nothing wrong with that, and as I said in my experiences I have been there as a crew member.

It's unrealistic and IMO cheapens their memory for people to make comments saying "they shoulda" this and that.

The guys driving the boat knew the score, and that's what made them go there. Remember them for that, gassing it was their way of living this life and they did it on their terms.

Rest in peace.

HgH Vltg

Reaction score
Someone just sent me this link, and I'm at a complete loss. Chills, sadness, all rushing in at once. Didn't know either of them, but may they rip.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Do yourselves a favor and don't search for or watch the video. Please trust me when I say this. I watched the video on a friends Facebook page on accident thinking it was just a normal boating video. By me posting this it will probably make you want to search it out more....don't do it. Again, please trust me on this one.

Same here. It was horrible. [emoji17]

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
Do yourselves a favor and don't search for or watch the video. Please trust me when I say this. I watched the video on a friends Facebook page on accident thinking it was just a normal boating video. By me posting this it will probably make you want to search it out more....don't do it. Again, please trust me on this one.

Thanks to Facebook auto play feature, I watched it, without even clicking on it, terrible accident, God Speed brothers.....

renodaytona

Reaction score
Very sad situation for all of the people directly affected by this.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Horrible. That video will haunt my dreams forever.

HST4ME

Reaction score
rrrr is correct in his statement.

RIP Jim and Garth and my utmost condolences to the families, friends and safety crews involved.

Until the people and organizations mandate safety rules at all of these events unfortunately these tragedies are going to continue on a regular basis. 200 mph in a encapsulated boat is extremely dangerous, in an open boat, well.....

96scarab

Reaction score
Do yourselves a favor and don't search for or watch the video. Please trust me when I say this. I watched the video on a friends Facebook page on accident thinking it was just a normal boating video. By me posting this it will probably make you want to search it out more....don't do it. Again, please trust me on this one. Have a little respect for the deceased.

You didn't know two men tragically died before you watched the vid?

wet hull

Reaction score

I watched the video yesterday knowing the 2 had passed. What I was expecting was to see a video where you only saw the crash. I did not expect to see the the exact moment when these 2 lost their lives by skipping across the water. It made it very, very real. So sad. May you rest in peace and keep racing upstairs.

96scarab

Reaction score
I watched the video yesterday knowing the 2 had passed. What I was expecting was to see a video where you only saw the crash. I did not expect to see the the exact moment when these 2 lost their lives by skipping across the water. It made it very, very real. So sad. May you rest in peace and keep racing upstairs.

I didn't expect to see that either. Very sad..

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

I didn't. Someone tagged me in the video but I didn't know they had died until after I watched it. The wreck is extremely violent. I've said before, I think if you're wearing a helmet you should be wearing a HANS device. It doesn't make sense to wear one without the other IMO.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
The sound of motors ripping 7000 rpms, a moment of almost silence, then the sound of that boat impacting the water is haunting.

Know this, no matter what the bench racers, people saying what you could of done to prevent this, open or closed cockpit, I know you left your lives doing what you loved in what was the baddest old school 36 skater on the planet.

RIP G and J.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I've said before, I think if you're wearing a helmet you should be wearing a HANS device. It doesn't make sense to wear one without the other IMO.

Yep. Keep in mind a true Hans is useless without being harnessed in.

A Simpson hybrid straps to your body and can be used without harnesses. Might be a good solution here.

IMG_3822.JPG

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad news and a terrible sight to see. RIP. My thoughts and prayers to the families impacted.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
May they both rest in peace.

Actually maybe every high speed boater should see this.

MSum661

Reaction score

A Simpson hybrid straps to your body and can be used without harnesses. Might be a good solution here.

View attachment 517263

Lifeline offers a similar product with their NecksGen REV and another helmet restraint system.
And your right the Hans and Lifeline NecksGen is designed to be used with a 5 or 6 point harness system which translates to a driver capsule and roll cage.

Went through frame by frame of the accident and right after .04 and leading into .05 and several frames into .05 of the video it appears a helmet comes off.
So I would be curious if there was a helmet support system used and if so...why it may have let loose.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Do yourselves a favor and don't search for or watch the video. Please trust me when I say this. I watched the video on a friends Facebook page on accident thinking it was just a normal boating video. By me posting this it will probably make you want to search it out more....don't do it. Again, please trust me on this one. Have a little respect for the deceased.

I wish I had listened to you.

Singleton

Reaction score
Watched it yesterday. RIP and my thoughts are with the family's.

My wife watched it with me and she made the comment no more shootout watching for us. On video it was shocking and my wife said I never want to see something like that in person. She said if she saw that in person, boating most likely would be over for us.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I saw the video and was unaware at the time that they had passed. Although watching the video I found it hard to believe that they would've survived

HST4ME

Reaction score
... i have never gone over and been spit out of my Sanger Runner but I have come close...I just hope the 2 men who passed... last moments were not sheer terror... Godspeed to the two men...

I've had to get out and walk twice at 100mph in a small outboard v bottom, it seems like an eternity from where you realize the point of no return until you hit the water. I hate for the soap box to get started here, but until all the organizers of these "events" and insurance companies get involved and mandate very strict safety mandates for the boats participating these deaths will continue to occur on a regular basis.
I've held onto a body for 20 minutes waiting for the coast guard and sheriff to get to the scene of an accident. These open cockpit boats at the speeds they travel now are absolute suicide, and it's a shitty deal for families, rescue personal, and the fans watching.

Godspeed to all involved.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Jim's son is asking to have the links removed, just sayin'.

HST4ME

Reaction score

View attachment 517263

Absolutely useless. A chute jacket MIGHT have worked in this case IF they got out of the boat as it started to go over, otherwise the boat more than likely would have hit them.

Singleton

Reaction score
You really just don't get it.

Your blaming the folks watching the video and saying it is inconsiderate. IMO those are the wrong folks, the inconsiderate ones are the folks posting the video or reposting it after the video was removed already.

I hope the family does not watch it, but trying to say those watching it are inconsiderate to the family is BS!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's good to know that some good people on here have taken the video off their FB.

It was on the nightly news tonight, up to the point the passengers were ejected. Then some video of the wreckage after.

JD D05

Reaction score
You really just don't get it.

You take stands when it doesn't make sense. I have been involved in a video similar. Yes you want it contained and removed but you you can't blame anyone who views it or posts it. That is just part of the deal when you put yourself in that position even if you didn't know it.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Rip to these guys. Prayers to their families.

Everyone in life has options. It's your life to choose what they are. The minute you decide to choose someone's options for them is the problem in most situations.

Respect others decisions regardless of your opinion. They may be wrong or right. But they are theirs not yours. Do everyone a favor and don't press your views upon others.

Being involved with boat racing for the past ten years has dealt me several emotional blows. This year has been exceptionally tough on everyone.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Godspeed to Jim and Garth. That being said, they knew the risks involved and chose to participate in the run. Shootout racing is exceptionally dangerous, particularly at the upper levels, those involved understand the risk and choose to continue knowing the potential consequences. They passed doing what they love. For outsiders to pass judgement, and for those close to them to worry about videos being removed from the internet is rediculous. I really didn't see the big deal about the video, I was expecting much worse after the comments here and on OSO. Accidents happen. This was an accident. May they rest in peace.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've been involved in open wheel and LSR racing at the top levels of the sport, and death has been a visitor. I don't know anything about cats, and I've never been over 80 MPH on the water, so take my comments as you wish.

There are a bunch of comments on the linked news story, people saying changes need to be made, capsules, canopies, speed limits, etc.

It seems to me that if you are running near 200 MPH in an open boat on the water, there's an implicit agreement between the crew and the water that if anything goes wrong, it's going to be the end. Nothing wrong with that, and as I said in my experiences I have been there as a crew member.

It's unrealistic and IMO cheapens their memory for people to make comments saying "they shoulda" this and that.

The guys driving the boat knew the score, and that's what made them go there. Remember them for that, gassing it was their way of living this life and they did it on their terms.

Rest in peace.

Grads read this and read it closely..

kiethco

Reaction score
a friend sent it to me also, I didn't know 2 lives were lost even after watching the video. I just became aware of the outcome reading this thread.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don't know what else to say other than I disagree Grads.. I will be happy to explain that position in another thread tomorrow, that isn't centered around these two guys but rather the generalities of what we are talking about.

JD D05

Reaction score
You've been involved in a similar video?? Doubtful because you're still posting.

I said similar. It has people leaving the boat etc. There are still some family that I know never "clicked" on play. IMO you and I should be more focused on the accident and the families than worrying about who watched or posted the video, to me it's just a misguided way to show respect or grieve in some way.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Such a sad deal

The performance boating community has lost some good people this year

PVHCA

Reaction score
Sad situation for sure and RIP to both men and prayers for their families.

GRADS, you are the last person IMO anyone would take serious or listen too. Yes it sucks and the video is horrific, but watching it shows no disrespect to anyone. Every time there's a boating tragedy you suddenly become Captain Coast Guard, ease up, unless of course you "knew these guys too". :rolleyes

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Sad situation for sure and RIP to both men and prayers for their families.

GRADS, you are the last person IMO anyone would take serious or listen too. Yes it sucks and the video is horrific, but watching it shows no disrespect to anyone. Every time there's a boating tragedy you suddenly become Captain Coast Guard, ease up, unless of course you "knew these guys too". :rolleyes

I didn't see any disrespect in watching it. It was a horrific and sad deal. I am sure some people who have a better understanding can watch the video and see what transpired and what caused the boat to take flight. If anything it could be used as a tool to teach and educate boaters on the dangers of what we love. Not sure if I explained my thought the right way or not.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Here is where this safety conversation goes sideways for me. These boats are custom built with no expense spared, costing well over $1M. To go to Skater or whoever and say I want to make some adjustments to the boat with safety in mind - Canopy with harnesses for seats, oxygen, etc. (I have no idea what is really needed) would be less than a 10% uplift in cost. If they wanted to do that they would have.

These gentlemen were not stupid, they knew the risks.

Should there be safety guidelines for boats that can achieve those speeds? Probably, but would meany of the current crop of boats meet those guidelines?