WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Custom rzr Cage Build

Hammer

Reaction score
Well I finally had a Chance to get started on my rzr build. Dropped it off and already mocked it up. Still need to fine tune the roof height.

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg IMG_4628.jpg

Plan is cage,roof, roof rack and a few one off things I have up my sleeve.

Thanks to Safeglow whips he set me up with a light bar, dome lights and lighted whip mounts.

Anyone able to measure their roof height for me from the top hinge of the door?

I need reference points for my build. Going after a dual sport look similar to below IMG_3984.jpg IMG_4616.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The radius cages look cool, but I don't like the lack of headroom most have in the back. The flat roof will make the roof rack really functional! looking forward to how the home grown turns out!

Hammer

Reaction score
The radius cages look cool, but I don't like the lack of headroom most have in the back. The flat roof will make the roof rack really functional! looking forward to how the home grown turns out!

I'm staying away from the radius cage. Flat roof very similar to the cognito cage. IMG_2505.jpg

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Mike I would put a little curve in the roof. The axia has just a slight curve so it's not straight flat.
I love my roof rack. I got chairs up on it right now.

Hammer

Reaction score
Mike I would put a little curve in the roof. The axia has just a slight curve so it's not straight flat.
I love my roof rack. I got chairs up on it right now.

Any more pics of yours? Also, how tall is your roof?

Groper

Reaction score
Mike,
Before you get just some random Int. height from someone, make sure while sitting in your mounted seat that you have plenty of clearance between your head with a Helmet on and the roof.
Several cages out there are low profile for that "cool look" without any accommodations while wearing a Helmet also aftermarket seats have more padding which sits you higher, carry on ;)

Hammer

Reaction score
Mike,
Before you get just some random Int. height from someone, make sure while sitting in your mounted seat that you have plenty of clearance between your head with a Helmet on and the roof.
Several cages out there are low profile for that "cool look" without any accommodations while wearing a Helmet also aftermarket seats have more padding which sits you higher, carry on ;)

Noted. We mocked a roof height at 27" from upper door hinge. I sat in a buddy's rzr with the same seats I am going with and took some measurements off of his cage to get an idea for roof height with plenty of head clearance. I'm on hold before final assembly, going to purchase the seats first.

I'd like to lower the roof height to around 24" from upper door hinge. The final height is still pending

When looking into fabricating my own doors it will be quite the undertaking so I am now looking into pre fabricated doors that I can purchase and bolt on.

Two things I'd like to do and need to research

. 1. Get rid of the B pillar all together and weld my own door tabs on.

2. Get a layout of where these tabs need to be.

One solution I ran into is going with TMW's Door kit that comes with the hardware. I believe the door "lines" make the look of the car. It appears these are a bolt on kit. I also have an admiration for their work.

This would solve setting tab Heights on the b pillar.. (I think)

http://www.shop.tmwoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=853&categoryId=106

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Noted. We mocked a roof height at 27" from upper door hinge. I sat in a buddy's rzr with the same seats I am going with and took some measurements off of his cage to get an idea for roof height with plenty of head clearance. I'm on hold before final assembly, going to purchase the seats first.

I'd like to lower the roof height to around 24" from upper door hinge. The final height is still pending

When looking into fabricating my own doors it will be quite the undertaking so I am now looking into pre fabricated doors that I can purchase and bolt on.

Two things I'd like to do and need to research

. 1. Get rid of the B pillar all together and weld my own door tabs on.

2. Get a layout of where these tabs need to be.

One solution I ran into is going with TMW's Door kit that comes with the hardware. I believe the door "lines" make the look of the car. It appears these are a bolt on kit. I also have an admiration for their work.

This would solve setting tab Heights on the b pillar.. (I think)

http://www.shop.tmwoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=853&categoryId=106

A lot of guys use the stock rzr door latches as their the best.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Are you building the cage and rear bumper as one piece like the Axia car? Looks good so far.
Also did you leave the windshield low for the light bar?

Hammer

Reaction score
IMG_4655.jpg IMG_4656.jpg IMG_4657.jpg
More pics.

Shout out to Devious Motorsports on the hook up. Just ordered seats for my build.

Going to look something like this with a bench in the rear
IMG_4654.JPG

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score

Hammer

Reaction score
Are you building the cage and rear bumper as one piece like the Axia car? Looks good so far.
Also did you leave the windshield low for the light bar?

I'm not going to integrate the cage into the rear bumper like the Axia Car. I have plans for the bed area.

Yes the cross bar is low for the light bar.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I'm not going to integrate the cage into the rear bumper like the Axia Car. I have plans for the bed area.

Yes the cross bar is low for the light bar.

Are you doing a windshield? If so, take pics please.
Those seats are bad ass!!

Hammer

Reaction score
Are you doing a windshield? If so, take pics please.
Those seats are bad ass!!

Thanks! We added seat heaters in the bench and front seats.
Rear bench
IMG_4659.JPG

Yes we are doing a windshield. Will put tabs in for "future"

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look like it was built for the rzr. Needs to go forward about 10" to mount a light bar and then the back would look better if it angled. IMG_9194.jpg

You can see what I'm talking about on the rack I designed for my dads jeep.

Hammer

Reaction score
It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look like it was built for the rzr. Needs to go forward about 10" to mount a light bar and then the back would look better if it angled. View attachment 534265

I agree. But it will be removable so I won't incorporate the light bar

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look like it was built for the rzr. Needs to go forward about 10" to mount a light bar and then the back would look better if it angled. View attachment 534265

I agree it needs to be longer. The sides look cool but make sure you have tabs for the tie downs up there.

JBS

Reaction score

The rack that made it top heavy so it tipped over ;)

jesco

Reaction score
Mine is removable and my light is incorporated. Once that rack is installed you want remove it. Trust me. [emoji16]

^^^ THIS... I had a rack on my last RZR, wanted to make sure it would come off easy... NEVER even thought about taking it off once I got the car. Make it as big as possible without looking ridiculous of course. They are very functional, but remember, these cars don't like weight up high so don't over load it.

Hammer

Reaction score
Lookin good Mike! I'd make that rack full length so its as functional as possible. Always liked the lines of the Magnum rack...

10801819_10153552777622571_8789796745100301593_n.jpg

Out of all the cars I looked at magnums the most. I don't spend a lot of time in the dunes anymore. I wanted more of a dual sport look that was functional.

jesco

Reaction score
Lookin good Mike! I'd make that rack full length so its as functional as possible. Always liked the lines of the Magnum rack...

10801819_10153552777622571_8789796745100301593_n.jpg

BADASS CAR!!!! Magnum builds really nice stuff

Hammer

Reaction score
Another AWESOME car!!! Magnum and Cognito pull off the flat roof VERY well, best two on the market in my opinion.

Completely Agree!!! Those are the ones I spent most looking at.

Strabo

Reaction score
Now ya need a better clutch. They aren't cheap.