WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Let's talk old Jeeps

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A buddy of mine out in the Denver area sent me a link to a craigslist add for a 71 Jeepster Commando, and today he bought it.

image.jpg

Kicking myself for not taking screen shots of the add and pics.
Super excited. He's been on the hunt for a cool trail rig for the family/kids/dogs package for quite a while.

From what I can tell the Commando was sort of rare?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
A buddy of mine out in the Denver area sent me a link to a craigslist add for a 71 Jeepster Commando, and today he bought it.

View attachment 533513

Kicking myself for not taking screen shots of the add and pics.
Super excited. He's been on the hunt for a cool trail rig for the family/kids/dogs package for quite a while.

From what I can tell the Commando was sort of rare?

Yup, rare but pretty cool. Wouldn't mind doing a build on one of those. Problem is it would probably get half done and then sit like all my other projects.:skull

DLC

Reaction score
That's a cool find!

So about 2 /3 years ago I brought home according the the registration a 56 cj-5 with a Chevy V8 350, auto trans, PS, PB it was sitting and non opted since 2000, the owner had died and the wife needed it gone asap to sell the house, so I snagged it for $900. Well its still sitting and I haven't spent any time working on it.

According to my wife it's a blue planter bed in the drive way!

Well I guess one da I'll get to it!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yup, rare but pretty cool. Wouldn't mind doing a build on one of those. Problem is it would probably get half done and then sit like all my other projects.:skull

This one runs and drives fine, all the factory gauges work, all the factory dash lights work.
Has front disk brakes, the engine was recently replaced and still under warranty.

Other than needing the back seat bolted in doesn't "need" anything.
He intends to use it as a trail cruiser. He has a turbo rail for going fast, and a CR500, so this unit is destined for family forest cruises, quick errands, etc.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks like a decent score for the price.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Danny Thomas, Founder of St Judes Hospital for Children was their spoksman:

1967JeepsterAD_MJF.jpg

51.jpg

28skater

Reaction score
Thats a cool ride :thumbup: Im building a Scrambler right now..

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thats a cool ride :thumbup: Im building a Scrambler right now..
Right on!:thumbsup

Post some pics.

Personally I prefer these longer wheelbase Jeeps. This Commando, your Scrambler, the CJ6, are about the perfect adventure mobile for someone with kids and or dogs. Trying to stuff much in a CJ5 ,ugh. Been there done that.

If I get another Jeep, it will be one of the three.
I'd like to do a 4BT swap for sure.

You never know. This guy that bought the Commando was in a little shit for buying it. He's not sure the wife is going to take a liking to this Jeep yet.
If she ends up hating it my wife's already given me the :thumbsup
to buy it.:cool

28skater

Reaction score
Right on!:thumbsup

Post some pics.

Personally I prefer these longer wheelbase Jeeps. This Commando, your Scrambler, the CJ6, are about the perfect adventure mobile for someone with kids and or dogs. Trying to stuff much in a CJ5 ,ugh. Been there done that.

If I get another Jeep, it will be one of the three.
I'd like to do a 4BT swap for sure.

You never know. This guy that bought the Commando was in a little shit for buying it. He's not sure the wife is going to take a liking to this Jeep yet.
If she ends up hating it my wife's already given me the :thumbsup
to buy it.:cool

Mine is not really a Jeep it's a after market frame with Scrambler wheel base and a aluminum bobed Scrambler body should be done soon:smackhead

12.jpg

1495426_10202001888196203_1986385778_o.jpg

socalrzr

Reaction score
Have a 69 cj-5 with a v6 and a 4 speed manual that has been in my garage for a few years. Would love to get it done but always ended up on the back burner. Finally just bought a brand new jeep, and hope to get around to the old one someday.

loren

Reaction score
'63 Wagoneer, first-year/Willys-tagged. Came from a guy in his nineties a few years ago, I don't know if he was the original owner, he wasn't too communicative. I've collected a few parts to make a driver out of it, but it sits behind other projects.

63wagoneer.JPG