WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hondo

Reaction score
Photograph9-2_zpsc7c7e8c8.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
yeah, I know what you have. but most of the Hondo ads were for his dragboats various runner bottoms. you have a bit of a rare bird, keep it forever.

I believe sharp shooter here on the boards has the identical boat.

Brian

Reaction score
Fuck. You are right, sir. I forgot about that one.

I sent him a link to this thread but he hasn't found his way here yet.

now I'm thinking it was a "tribute" not original Honcho, like the Coldfire Biesemeyer "tribute" boat

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
now I'm thinking it was a "tribute" not original Honcho, like the Coldfire Biesemeyer "tribute" boat

No sir,

I am speaking out of turn since he isn't here, but yes, I do recall it having HONCO as the HIN.

I want to say it is one of the 3 maybe....

Brian

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Hondo Sprint ad

XH511T_001.jpg

For clarification, my name is Jerry Griffin and I own V-Drive Video Productions. It's a business that I've dialed back greatly since having kids. I sold my Hondo Sprint to Rick King several years ago and currently have one of the Honcho boats. The Sprint is a great boat and has held many record including Kilo records north of 140.

My Honcho is kind of a mystery, but it was rigged as a ski racer from the factory.

The original silver flake was painted over in a dark red. In spite of tons of research trying to figure out what it looked like originally we were unsuccessful. While stripping the paint off the boat we saw many similarities to one of the Honcho sprint boats that we were familiar with so we tried to get close to that paint design. Most of that design was intentionally copied and some things were changed. My hull has "Honcho75" stamped in the transom where a normal hull id number would be.

Unfortunately, the original Honcho team owner- Pete Peters passed years back so it's been tough figuring out which boats are which. Pete was well known for decades in the ski racing world and had many boats bearing the Honcho name.

Here's both remaining Honcho Biesemeyers side by side a few years back. The boat on the right is the Honcho we took the paint design from and we did that before this boat had been rediscovered about 5 years ago. The current owner is getting her back together so you might be seeing double more and more in the years to come. :)

Compare.jpg

Reaction score
Sharp Shooter, thanks for clearing that up. I'm only posting old ads I have stored on my computer, not digging threw old mags yet. thinking about Honcho, coldfire makes me wonder who has or is it restored, the cherokee maiden boat ?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Sharp Shooter, thanks for clearing that up. I'm only posting old ads I have stored on my computer, not digging threw old mags yet. thinking about Honcho, coldfire makes me wonder who has or is it restored, the cherokee maiden boat ?

Many Coldfires were built and nearly all were wrecked and destroyed. I think Fed Hart has a Coldfire with a different deck than was original on it and the boat Julian took down to Australia which is pretty close to original is now back in the states.

One of the Cherokee maiden boats was restored by Billy B for Mike Fairchild and it is for sale currently.

MSum661

Reaction score
Adding some 35 yr. old Vintage Hondo ad's.
I'm working on getting as many of the builders, drivers and manufacturers as possible on back up before the mags start to deteriorate with emphasis mainly on Drag Hydro's, Flatty's and misc. Lake and River Cruisers from the early 1980's. Its a pain in the ass, lol.
Nearly all the H.B. photography and illustrations back then were in black and white on poor quality paper.

Side note to the 3 ad down. Notice the "Ski Centurion" Logo.

Here are some to help keep things going.
Mike Summers

Hondo Boats A.jpg

Hondo Boats B.jpg

Hondo Boats C.jpg

Hondo Boats D.jpg

KevinR

Reaction score
Just looked at this again and I always thought Ray Casselli’s boat was Panic Mouse. :rolleyes: