WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tired of the California rat race?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Call me, I can help show you not on Kuna but the whole valley!

Thanks for the offer, it was a quick trip so didn't do a lot of stuff, next time. I did hang out at my cousins Saturday, he lives on the golf course in eagle banbury i think its called on the 14th hole, he is a manager a Peterson Toyota so he knows quite a few people and things to do, my niece works at chandlers steak house i had hoped to enjoy a meal there but never got to. I guess i'm just a so cal boy at heart, idaho may be a summer place for retirement for me but year around i don't think so, got some funny looks walking into the airport at 6am when it was 30 degree's out.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
The fuck it is. I regretted my decision to move back within a few weeks. It's not the same old town. Multi-family apartments/housing going in EVERYWHERE, more traffic, cultural change and the list goes on. I close escrow tomorrow. I'm headed back to the coast. At least the traffic is justified down there.

City council and foreign money is changing the town just like it has the cities West of the 605.

I couldn't agree more. I was born and raised in Glendora but moved away (Newport Beach) for several years. When our first kid was born 3.5 years ago we decided that a single family home closer to friends with younger kids and business connections were more important and made the move back up to G-Town. It really is unbelievable what they're doing to this once quite and sleepy little bed room community. Like you said, high rise condos, traffic, extreme cost driven up by the foreign market, etc. The roads are beat to crap and the list goes on. It's really too bad what they're doing here. That said, I can't wait for the door to hit me in the ass when we get outta here.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
This is a great thread BTW. We are looking at making a move out of state as well. We thought Colorado would be a good move, however after visiting a year and a half ago we found that that place is growing like wild fire, infrastructure can't handle the growth (highways, etc.) and the housing market is out of control with lack of inventory and prices going through the roof.

So we are now looking into Saint George, Salt Lake, Boise and Carson City/Reno area. Saint George is appealing because of it's proximity to Havasu, SoCal., Salt Lake, Powell, etc. We love Havasu and have family there, so staying close is important. Problem is there aren't many areas in the vicinity of Havasu to choose from.

I'm self employed and can take my business anywhere. The Mrs. is a nurse, but prefers working at larger hospitals (currently at UCI). We have two children age 3.5 and 9 months. We love outdoors, boating, etc. She prefers to have some city life, where as she says I would live in a cabin in the middle of Montana if it were up to me.

So what are the RDP communities thoughts about the places I've mentioned?

Speedboat Racer

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, it was a quick trip so didn't do a lot of stuff, next time. I did hang out at my cousins Saturday, he lives on the golf course in eagle banbury i think its called on the 14th hole, he is a manager a Peterson Toyota so he knows quite a few people and things to do, my niece works at chandlers steak house i had hoped to enjoy a meal there but never got to. I guess i'm just a so cal boy at heart, idaho may be a summer place for retirement for me but year around i don't think so, got some funny looks walking into the airport at 6am when it was 30 degree's out.

Good to hear you enjoyed your time in Idaho!

Dettom

Reaction score
I have some friends who moved up there a few years ago and they love it. I don't mind going up there and visiting though. We settled in Havasu full time last November and love it. My main focus was getting out of California. My only regret is, having to look across the lake at California. I view the lake as the DMZ between Arizona and North Korea, er..uh.. I mean California.

Dettom

Reaction score
This is a great thread BTW. We are looking at making a move out of state as well. We thought Colorado would be a good move, however after visiting a year and a half ago we found that that place is growing like wild fire, infrastructure can't handle the growth (highways, etc.) and the housing market is out of control with lack of inventory and prices going through the roof.

So we are now looking into Saint George, Salt Lake, Boise and Carson City/Reno area. Saint George is appealing because of it's proximity to Havasu, SoCal., Salt Lake, Powell, etc. We love Havasu and have family there, so staying close is important. Problem is there aren't many areas in the vicinity of Havasu to choose from.

I'm self employed and can take my business anywhere. The Mrs. is a nurse, but prefers working at larger hospitals (currently at UCI). We have two children age 3.5 and 9 months. We love outdoors, boating, etc. She prefers to have some city life, where as she says I would live in a cabin in the middle of Montana if it were up to me.

Unless you're a practicing Mormon, life in Utah will be difficult. My daughter is getting ready to graduate college at Utah State. It's been a difficult four years. We found that if you're not from there, you're not really welcomed.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Here's a few things I've discovered about relocating to Dallas. May or may not apply to other locales:

Pay is comparable to CA...
When "my large automaker client" first decided to move here, they thought they could significantly lower employee compensation to "prevailing wage".
Turns out, there's so much competition for employees, companies are basically paying the same wages as SoCal. Win for us as the wife's contact is up in July and she's looking for a new gig :thumbup:

Cost of living is significantly less (duh)...
I'd say half of my clients whose wives worked in SoCal, and had nannies and daycare, can now afford to have their wives stay at home and raise their kids.

Less Stress...
Getting out of the rat race has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced my stress levels.
I don't dread the commute to/from work.
I get home and have a cocktail because I want to enjoy it, not because I just sat in two hours of traffic fighting and my nerves are fried.
Traffic...crowds...assholes...significantly less when you leave SoCal.
DALLAS HAS TRAFFIC just not as much as SoCal, not 24/7, not on weekends and not for my commute because I can afford to actually live near my office.

probablecause

Reaction score
I looked at Idaho for a minute. Wife won't go that far north. She said that she can handle a couple months of heat but if there is snow, no way.
Plus gotta keep the Grandparents in driving distance....[emoji41]
What is the deal with all of the "pussy" wives (mine included) and the cold?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Good friend of mine moved to St George few years ago. He just opened his own shop and is doing well.

No way he's ever coming back. 👍

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Wife and I went there for the first time a few weeks ago. Best tacos around!

I love the location. It's right off my exit. I call when leaving my office then pull in off the freeway then head home to deliciousness. I wish they made breakfast burritos. Sometimes I'll walk in while pumping fuel at 76. :)

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
What is the deal with all of the "pussy" wives (mine included) and the cold?

I was blown away that my wife agreed to Idaho. We had a top 10 worst winter on record this year as our first and she did remarkably well. We went out exploring every other weekend and loved it. She has our Idaho friends mad at her because she wanted SNOW, SNOW, and more SNOW, and we got it!

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I and our family have been here 41 years...born in Lynwood CA and moved to Bay Area and then to Idaho...My Dad loved hunting and this was the place to do that.

I am so thankful my Dad had the vision to get out in 1974..I came in 76. The weather is so cool...four seasons of beautiful scenery..Bogus Basin Ski Resort..16 miles from town...Lucky Peak Reservoir 25 minutes from my front door to ramp...McCall about 2 hours up the road. Northern Idaho is beautiful also...

But honestly...the USA has many places that are great.

petie6464

Reaction score
I left S. CA (Glendora) twenty years ago. I couldn't take the oppressive business environment any longer, turns out I wasn't the only one.

CA has its good climate, that is once you cut through the constant layer of pollution. Outside of that the complete and total disregard for your constitutional rights, it is a great place.

When I decided to move I had a wife that was dug-in deep to not move. I hear she still lives there today:thumbsup

Englewood

Reaction score
Why does everyone who moved from CA have to go overboard justifying the move? There are pluses and negatives to each area...I, for one, am not leaving California anytime soon. Since my income is tied to housing prices, I'm gonna ride the wave as long as possible and then take my earnings and live like a king somewhere else.

probablecause

Reaction score
Why does everyone who moved from CA have to go overboard justifying the move? There are pluses and negatives to each area...I, for one, am not leaving California anytime soon. Since my income is tied to housing prices, I'm gonna ride the wave as long as possible and then take my earnings and live like a king somewhere else.
Just curious, what is going overboard? And you are leaving the rat race one day because....

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
That is where I am heading after I retire in 5 years. My buddy also lives in Meridan (North of the FWY) and owns the Lock, Stock, & Barrel Restaurant in downtown

Golfed with that guy yesterday!!

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I left S. CA (Glendora) twenty years ago. I couldn't take the oppressive business environment any longer, turns out I wasn't the only one.

CA has its good climate, that is once you cut through the constant layer of pollution. Outside of that the complete and total disregard for your constitutional rights, it is a great place.

When I decided to move I had a wife that was dug-in deep to not move. I hear she still lives there today:thumbsup

LMFAO!

pronstar

Reaction score

I think you answered your own question...those of us who aren't waiting are simply sharing our experiences.
And many of us have different reasons for why we made the jump, which we've shared.

Englewood

Reaction score
Just curious, what is going overboard? And you are leaving the rat race one day because....

Overboard was probably the wrong word...If I were to ever move it would only be to get more for my dollar...It would not be because it is better. I wouldn't begin saying the standard "I'm never going back" "traffic is terrible" or " we only get 11 months of snow" Etc...I equate it to someone trying to get you to join their church.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I know literally hundreds of people that have moved here in the last 40 years...and I've seen three of them move back. That's the truth.

I have a cool story...had a high school friend move here about 13 years ago now from San Jose. He went to Cupertino HS with me and my brothers. He is a contractor. He came here to do re models and build homes. He was there about a month and he stopped by my shop one morning to BS...he walked in the door and says this..."If I have one more mother fucker say good morning to me I'm gonna shoot em"...

He was referring to the nice people of our town. He was of course being sarcastic..but that is what keeps people coming here...

I've had my shop in the same spot for over 30 years..and I'm being honest when I tell you, I can smell a transplanted CA person when they come in the door...they are mis trusting and short fused and they act like we are here to fuck em..I have the talk with them right then. Don't come here with that attitude..you won't enjoy the stay here. Assimilate to the way business is done here. Not everyone is honest and forthright...but the numbers are high.

While I'm at it...last Saturday night went to dinner at our favorite eatery...(Stage Coach)...walked outside when done and we walk through a little back street and this jacked up Excursion and tinted out...CA plates on it. He rolls down the window and asks how to get downtown...it was a father/daughter...Very nice people. Checkin out a possible move...his comment to wife and I before we said good bye..
"I have never met more nicer people in my life"....it put a smile on my face...

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Overboard was probably the wrong word...If I were to ever move it would only be to get more for my dollar...It would not be because it is better. I wouldn't begin saying the standard "I'm never going back" "traffic is terrible" or " we only get 11 months of snow" Etc...I equate it to someone trying to get you to join their church.

Isn't getting more for your dollar "better"??? :p

I haven't said "I'm never going back", but I have said "traffic is terrible", because it is. I've gotten so used to ZERO traffic that last weekend coming back from Spokane we got stuck in about 5 minutes of it, and was bitching the whole time.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I know literally hundreds of people that have moved here in the last 40 years...and I've seen three of them move back. That's the truth.

I have a cool story...had a high school friend move here about 13 years ago now from San Jose. He went to Cupertino HS with me and my brothers. He is a contractor. He came here to do re models and build homes. He was there about a month and he stopped by my shop one morning to BS...he walked in the door and says this..."If I have one more mother fucker say good morning to me I'm gonna shoot em"...

He was referring to the nice people of our town. He was of course being sarcastic..but that is what keeps people coming here...

I've had my shop in the same spot for over 30 years..and I'm being honest when I tell you, I can smell a transplanted CA person when they come in the door...they are mis trusting and short fused and they act like we are here to fuck em..I have the talk with them right then. Don't come here with that attitude..you won't enjoy the stay here. Assimilate to the way business is done here. Not everyone is honest and forthright...but the numbers are high.

While I'm at it...last Saturday night went to dinner at our favorite eatery...(Stage Coach)...walked outside when done and we walk through a little back street and this jacked up Excursion and tinted out...CA plates on it. He rolls down the window and asks how to get downtown...it was a father/daughter...Very nice people. Checkin out a possible move...his comment to wife and I before we said good bye..

What business are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I own a collision repair shop...

Shocking but the name is Mike Minegar's Auto Body...lol

pronstar

Reaction score
Overboard was probably the wrong word...If I were to ever move it would only be to get more for my dollar...It would not be because it is better.

That's an interesting take and I can appreciate your rationale.
Because we no longer own CA property since 2010, it really wasn't on our list of reasons...our list is basically "because we wanted better" which is totally opposite LOL :p

To each their own :thumbup:

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score

I am learning this the hard way on a home purchase in NC. I need to get used to the slower pace and feeling like everyone has their hands in my pockets. Ill figure it out... I hope. :p

Advantage 1

Reaction score
California has been really good to the wife and I. I cannot bite the hand that feeds.

Depending on the day, I either roll North from O'side to Irvine or South to San Diego. I make calls on the way to have the drive somewhat productive. Or work from home and let the traffic die down before jumping on the freeway.

It has been almost a year since we bought our new house and we know all the people on our little cul-de-sac street. Nice folks.

The best reason we are staying is the money. Once this current economy crashes again, we will re-evaluate our strategy, but for now, all is well.

Those that are teetering on moving out of CA, please do. There will be one less car on the freeway for me :)

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I have this recurring dream for many, many years..Its weird. I dream that I get called by one of my ex bosses in CA and I get offered some insane amount of money to move back...and I always say the same thing..never happen. It is a strange thing that I can't seem to shake. I have no idea why I dream that..:eek

dryhoze1

Reaction score
I have this recurring dream for many, many years..Its weird. I dream that I get called by one of my ex bosses in CA and I get offered some insane amount of money to move back...and I always say the same thing..never happen. It is a strange thing that I can't seem to shake. I have no idea why I dream that..:eek

I talked to your old Boss yesterday. Not gonna happen.

Sleep easy

milkmoney

Reaction score
I am learning this the hard way on a home purchase in NC. I need to get used to the slower pace and feeling like everyone has their hands in my pockets. Ill figure it out... I hope. :p

The slower pace is a problem for me , I jus can't slow down and these rednecks that don't care what time it is are annoying the fuck out of me. Get out of my way I have only so much time.

Good luck. [emoji202]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
California has been really good to the wife and I. I cannot bite the hand that feeds.

Depending on the day, I either roll North from O'side to Irvine or South to San Diego. I make calls on the way to have the drive somewhat productive. Or work from home and let the traffic die down before jumping on the freeway.

It has been almost a year since we bought our new house and we know all the people on our little cul-de-sac street. Nice folks.

The best reason we are staying is the money. Once this current economy crashes again, we will re-evaluate our strategy, but for now, all is well.

Those that are teetering on moving out of CA, please do. There will be one less car on the freeway for me :)

x1001!

When I was in my real early 20's, I moved up to Monterey. Beautiful town. Weather was great. The people were all really nice...

But I was bored as fuck!!!! There was absolutely nothing to do but smoke weed and get high every night. The night life consisted of about one or two bars, that were full of all the same people night after night, that and the bowling alley. Meeting girls? Yeah, sure. They all got married straight outa high school. :rolleyes No concerts to go to. No car shows. No Dodger games. No snow skiing, water skiing and no body there had jet skis, cause that would pollute the environment!!! Dirt bikes of off roading? None of that going on either. :eek I can't even remember anyone playing softball up there! You couldn't even call the pace slow, cause slow was too fast for that place.

Now that I think about it, no one had any money to do anything! You were either fairly well off and owned your own business, or you survived on minimum wage. There was no middle class in that place.

When my friend called me and offered me a job to come back to SoCal, I was on the first tank of fuel outa there.

I'm way too hyper to live in a small town and watch the grass grow. Maybe when I'm 90? Who knows! :p

probablecause

Reaction score
smoke weed - Boise
and get high every night - Boise
bowling alley - Boise.
Meeting girls - Boise
Concerts to go to - Boise.
car shows - Boise.
No Dodger games (Gang Games) - Boise (Moving to a new stadium)
Snow skiing - Boise
water skiing - Boise
jet skis - Boise (Aluminum Jet Boats)
Dirt bikes of off roading - Boise
Softball - Boise
Eating at the Lock Stock & Barrel every other night, priceless

Looking forward to the move.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The MIL is selling her place up near Bonners Ferry. If anyone is looking to get out and retire, that is why they bought it originally. FIL died 18 months ago and she cannot manage it alone. Just under 130 acres, some forest, some pasture, several acres of barn (literally), some of the best views up the valley in northern Idaho from the house. It is currently for sale but not listed on the MLS for another month.
If anyone is interested in living the dream, contact me, I will pass along info.

Englewood

Reaction score
For all the Boise naysayers due to weather...It's snowing today..lol

Out of curiosity from this thread, I looked at Boise homes for sale...JESUS! $600k gets you a castle! I have condos going for $600k in SoCal!

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
CA is probably the most beautiful state in the Union..except maybe Hawaii. I loved growing up in LA and then Bay Area. Great memories of a more innocent time. The beauty and weather and politics has been it's downfall...IMO. ALL people wanted to be there...the "land of opportunity", and it was and probably still is. Lot's of old money...from many industries..and lot's of family money..

It takes living somewhere else and then visiting to see the diff...if the slow decline has no other comparison..then most don't even see it. For me, I spend lot's of time it seems in CA...Needles, Parker of course...Garden Grove..Long Beach, and Downey. It has changed folks...and it has changed a lot. Of course there are lot's of better areas...for sure. But with that nice area comes one million dollar homes. This conversation is for dialogue purpose only...not meaning to spin people up...

boatnam2

Reaction score
Good to hear you enjoyed your time in Idaho!

My aunt and uncle moved there about 27 years ago, they had a beautiful place with its own little private pond along the river in east boise, they sold it and built 8 homes on a lot which pretty much resembled a torrance neighborhood form which they moved from, never understood that, drove by the original house its now a huge condo complex, amazing what a difference 20 years make, the amount of tract homes going in the boise area makes eastvale california look pretty tame.

TCHB

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 79

Water Romper

Reaction score
Resurrecting's an old thread...Moved to Boise from Irvine, CA 2 years ago. How's the boating up at Lucky Peak? Tons of wake boats and new Denali trucks. They sure don't have the boats here like they do in Havi...

Cdog

Reaction score
Oh boy! Prepare for bed wetting outbursts from Californians that take offense!!!!

maybe it’s time to come up with some pronouns so we expats don’t offend? Lmfao!!

probablecause

Reaction score
I lived in the better part of the state of Idaho. , about 8 hours north of Boise , Idaho is a nice state for sure , summers not long enough and winters to long for me. [emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]
That is because you went too far north. Pros and Cons. My buddy how just finished a year's tour in Hayden with his house and said the same thing.