WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Schiada 10er Barn Find - Update

sir.woody

Reaction score
Yess that's right I tracked down the owner of this Mini 10' and I am now the new owner! Was sitting in a guys backyard also named Dave for 15years. Let's just say it's a project but this is exactly what I have been looking for. Hopefully I will have it up and running by summer. Anyone got ideas on where should I start? IMG_3043.jpg IMG_3044.jpg IMG_3045.jpg IMG_3046.jpg

dbmcd

Reaction score
Yeah get that seat re-upholst ered first! lol

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Cool find :thumbup:

You doing the work yourself?

I always wonder why people let such nice stuff sit out and rot...

sir.woody

Reaction score
Cool find :thumbup:

You doing the work yourself?

I always wonder why people let such nice stuff sit out and rot...

Most of it. Gonna see how much I can do hopefully all of it. The guy I bought it from had another project take over.

dbmcd

Reaction score
Most of it. Gonna see how much I can do hopefully all of it. The guy I bought it from had another project take over.
Reminds me of the one I used to have...but that was long ago. 20140529_173422.jpg 20140529_173347.jpg

drew_built

Reaction score
I think I seen your boat or it's twin being towed through Carson earlier today

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
That's the one that was on PB. I sent him a PM shortly after he listed it and didn't get a reply. What did you have to give for it?

Andy01

Reaction score
That's a hell of a project, I can't imagine it selling for more than $500. Will it color sand and buff?

welldigger00

Reaction score
It is amazing to me how people can let something just die like that. No cover, or plywood, or anything? That is someone's dream just rotting away in the sunshine. Crazy.

sir.woody

Reaction score
That's a hell of a project, I can't imagine it selling for more than $500. Will it color sand and buff?

Hull is is very good condition. I couldn't even find a cracked hull for that much. Let alone this boat is complete.

sir.woody

Reaction score
It is amazing to me how people can let something just die like that. No cover, or plywood, or anything? That is someone's dream just rotting away in the sunshine. Crazy.

He had it covered for most of the time it was sitting in his back yard.

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I tried to track that guy down twice over the years and couldn't get a hold of him. Glad you were persistent and got what you were looking for. If that trailer is salvageable it is awesome.

sir.woody

Reaction score
Congrats. I tried to track that guy down twice over the years and couldn't get a hold of him. Glad you were persistent and got what you were looking for. If that trailer is salvageable it is awesome.

Yeah it was a little hard getting him to sell but we agreed on a price that helped him let go of it and me be happy with it. Trailer needs some TLC it's got no major rust all of it is just surface rust.

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
Yeah it was a little hard getting him to sell but we agreed on a price that helped him let go of it and me be happy with it. Trailer needs some TLC it's got no major rust all of it is just surface rust.

Very cool find. I remember that being for sale on a guys front lawn in Torrance right by West High. I was all of 14 at the time and my old man wouldn't let me get it. It still bums me out HAHA!

Andy Anderson might be able to confirm but that looks like Ron Tesarskys old 10' Schiada. I could be wrong but it reminds me of it.

Congrats on the find and I look forward to seeing it out on Parker. Where was it at if you dont mind me asking?

sir.woody

Reaction score
Very cool find. I remember that being for sale on a guys front lawn in Torrance right by West High. I was all of 14 at the time and my old man wouldn't let me get it. It still bums me out HAHA!

Andy Anderson might be able to confirm but that looks like Ron Tesarskys old 10" Schiada. I could be wrong but it reminds me of it.

Congrats on the find and I look forward to seeing it out on Parker. Where was it at if you dont mind me asking?

That might be the possibility! Bought it off a guy in Lawndale near El Camino College. He said he got it from a friend of his but I can't recall the name. Yeah I'm hoping to get it ready to go before summers over but I got a few things to do before I can really start dumping money into it. But thanks man!

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score

Andy Anderson might be able to confirm but that looks like Ron Tesarskys old 10' Schiada. I could be wrong but it reminds me of it.

This one wasn't Tesarski's old one. The colors are very similar, but not the same and the stripes on the deck are different.

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
This one wasn't Tesarski's old one. The colors are very similar, but not the same and the stripes on the deck are different.

Oh ok. I knew you would know.

Sir.Woody where are you located? I am restoring a 10' Schiada right now and am considering building a new double axle trailer for it. Would love to take a look at yours and get some measurements if you don't mind.

sir.woody

Reaction score
Oh ok. I knew you would know.

Sir.Woody where are you located? I am restoring a 10' Schiada right now and am considering building a new double axle trailer for it. Would love to take a look at yours and get some measurements if you don't mind.

I'm in Norwalk. PM me we could set something up.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score

Lol. You can buy one like that for $500 if nobody knows about it (not listed) and the owner doesn't know what it's worth. Blank hull that is pummeled brings $250-500 alone. Again, unless you find one where the owner isn't educated. Then you throw 10K to get it decent and usable haha

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Honestly that boat is worth probably triple that, maybe even more depending on how much of it can clean up. The trailer is pretty bad ass and it wouldn't take much to bring it to restored.

RD

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Nice find. [emoji106]

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Very cool. Please keep us updated on the progress.

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
Honestly that boat is worth probably triple that, maybe even more depending on how much of it can clean up. The trailer is pretty bad ass and it wouldn't take much to bring it to restored.

RD

Yes Agreed!
I paid triple that for mine that is in way way worse shape. SkiFaster can attest to that as he went with me to pick it up from the guy after I won the eBay auction. The guy was a nut job and we couldn't get out of their fast enough.
On the way home we did tow the boat through a Taco Bell drive through. Good Times!
I will never forget that trip.

sir.woody

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Things are on hold right now but soon enough it's gonna be getting love it needs.

sir.woody

Reaction score
Wondering where should I start since these boats are known to have a weak bottom. Some say just take it easy but I know once I put this thing in the water thats not going to happen. I wanna be able to not worry about anything cracking. Im planning on working with Hannemann fiberglass who is also a family friend of mine and I trust him more then anyone with this boat. Can you guys give me an idea, detail, on what work needs to be done? What is the best way to reinforce the bottom and any other ideas to improve the hull? ANY INPUT HELPS! THANK YOU!

Backlash

Reaction score
This is where someone would typically post a picture of a snowball rolling down the side of a mountain. :D

Well, you'll have to decide what you want to do. If it was mine, I'd do the minimum to make it usable. Figure out what NEEDS to be fixed first. Get it running and go out and enjoy it. Play with it and get her wet for awhile. Then, when you've saved up $30K, drop it off at a glass shop to have it all redone. :D

If you choose to tear into it now, you'll inevitably end up not using it or enjoying it and you will sink a ton of time and money into it before it ever sees the water. Then who knows what you'll find out about it once it's running. Most likely you'll get bored with it and an unsuspecting board member will buy it off you for less than you have in it. :D

They will then finish it and enjoy it for you. LMFAO!

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
Wondering where should I start since these boats are known to have a weak bottom. Some say just take it easy but I know once I put this thing in the water thats not going to happen. I wanna be able to not worry about anything cracking. Im planning on working with Hannemann fiberglass who is also a family friend of mine and I trust him more then anyone with this boat. Can you guys give me an idea, detail, on what work needs to be done? What is the best way to reinforce the bottom and any other ideas to improve the hull? ANY INPUT HELPS! THANK YOU!

This is what I have done and am currently doing to mine:
- Remove boat from trailer to get the bottom to fall back to close to original shape
- Once that is done remove the foam from under the deck
- cut out the sub floor and remove the foam from there as well
- inspect stringer and transom for rot
- mine had rot in both places so both were replaced
- per Lee and Stan @ Schiada lay a few sheets of fiberglass on the floor to beef it up to where it should have been. You will be surprised how thin the bottom is. Mine was roughly an 1/8" thick.
- Once bottom is in a good spot you can re-glass in a new sub floor or just leave it out and have an exposed stringer setup. Your choice

My advice is do it right now or you never will. Don't band-aid it as it will break down the road. Since your buddy is a glass guy ask him what he thinks. He will know better what needs to be done than we all do.

You can sink a ton of money in these. I originally took mine to Pats Fiberglass to get it fixed. I thought its only a 10' boat how much could it be. Don laughed at me and said it wasn't worth fixing. He was willing to take it off my hands though. I thought that was funny.
Since I absolutely need a 10' Schiada and I am very stubborn I decided to do it myself with my buddies help who is an expert in fiberglass repair. It has sucked but I am nearing the end of fiberglass work and might get it to gel-coat soon. It has taken way too long but I will see this out to completion no matter how much $$$$$ I spend. Just please don't tell my wife.

You have a very cool boat and I will hopefully see it on the river with mine as well someday.

Backlash

Reaction score
"Just please don't tell my wife."

:D

Yeah, I think we ALLLLL know that rule!! :D

Well said Cyclone!!

sir.woody

Reaction score
This is where someone would typically post a picture of a snowball rolling down the side of a mountain. :D

Well, you'll have to decide what you want to do. If it was mine, I'd do the minimum to make it usable. Figure out what NEEDS to be fixed first. Get it running and go out and enjoy it. Play with it and get her wet for awhile. Then, when you've saved up $30K, drop it off at a glass shop to have it all redone. :D

If you choose to tear into it now, you'll inevitably end up not using it or enjoying it and you will sink a ton of time and money into it before it ever sees the water. Then who knows what you'll find out about it once it's running. Most likely you'll get bored with it and an unsuspecting board member will buy it off you for less than you have in it. :D

They will then finish it and enjoy it for you. LMFAO!

Trust me that will not happen LOL! Been looking for one of these for way too long. I honestly will probably never sell it :thumbsup

sir.woody

Reaction score
This is what I have done and am currently doing to mine:
- Remove boat from trailer to get the bottom to fall back to close to original shape
- Once that is done remove the foam from under the deck
- cut out the sub floor and remove the foam from there as well
- inspect stringer and transom for rot
- mine had rot in both places so both were replaced
- per Lee and Stan @ Schiada lay a few sheets of fiberglass on the floor to beef it up to where it should have been. You will be surprised how thin the bottom is. Mine was roughly an 1/8" thick.
- Once bottom is in a good spot you can re-glass in a new sub floor or just leave it out and have an exposed stringer setup. Your choice

My advice is do it right now or you never will. Don't band-aid it as it will break down the road. Since your buddy is a glass guy ask him what he thinks. He will know better what needs to be done than we all do.

You can sink a ton of money in these. I originally took mine to Pats Fiberglass to get it fixed. I thought its only a 10' boat how much could it be. Don laughed at me and said it wasn't worth fixing. He was willing to take it off my hands though. I thought that was funny.
Since I absolutely need a 10' Schiada and I am very stubborn I decided to do it myself with my buddies help who is an expert in fiberglass repair. It has sucked but I am nearing the end of fiberglass work and might get it to gel-coat soon. It has taken way too long but I will see this out to completion no matter how much $$$$$ I spend. Just please don't tell my wife.

You have a very cool boat and I will hopefully see it on the river with mine as well someday.

Thats the info i was looking for!! Thought about doing the glass myself but my previous history with glass just ends up going into the shop to get redone. But Im sure Hannemann would be for then happy to help me! Im gonna run it down to him before I start ripping it apart see what he thinks. Probably going to run a glass floor and stop it right past the seat area so the stringers are exposed in the rear and drop the drain plug to the correct location. Looking for some pics on RDs 10er he did like that but cant find them.

sir.woody

Reaction score
Finally got some work in today on this thing. Cleaned out all the junk that was inside. Then started cutting out sections of the floor just to see what was going on and it was just full of water. Haven't gotten to cutting it all out yet. Anyone have ideas on how to cut the remains of the floor??? Cause the skill saw can only do so much.

Still have a long ways to go on this but it's a start. Also one of the previous owners decided it would be okay to screw the battery tray through the hull....

IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0033.jpg IMG_0034.jpg IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0092.jpg IMG_0085.jpg

rivergames

Reaction score
Few options. I would start with a small air powered cutoff wheel. Slowly start digging in to the sub-floor with long 6-8" lines till you can see that you are through the sub-floor

Then have fun and start sanding!

Attachments

• sdsavare.jpg
    sdsavare.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 142

sir.woody

Reaction score
IMG_0154.jpg

I've never sweat so much in my life!

Still hunting for a 40hp Tohatsu? Anyone know of any forums or boat places I might get lucky finding one?

sir.woody

Reaction score
IMG_0179.jpg

Picked up this Nissan 40 NS40D today for $950. 150 in all 3 cylinders. Looks and runs like a brand new motor. Looked up the motor and it says the motor weighs about 150 online. I think I saw one of these on a 10' that was for sale a while back. Can anyone confirm if someone has used this motor on a Schiada 10?? If so please let me know who has it. Got a couple questions on how they set it up to get it to plane just right.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 585788

Picked up this Nissan 40 NS40D today for $950. 150 in all 3 cylinders. Looks and runs like a brand new motor. Looked up the motor and it says the motor weighs about 150 online. I think I saw one of these on a 10' that was for sale a while back. Can anyone confirm if someone has used this motor on a Schiada 10?? If so please let me know who has it. Got a couple questions on how they set it up to get it to plane just right.

I don't think the mission is much different than the tohatsu? Is it a short shaft?