WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Health Care Costs

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Man, so much has changed since we had our first baby!

For example, in 2009 when we had our 2nd, we received a bill for $15K and at the bottom all we had to pay was $100 co pay (Kaiser). Our monthly premiums were significantly less too.

Fast forward to last Thursday when we went in for #5. After paying almost $700 / month for "insurance", I get told that our co pay for the baby is $1,700!! :yikes

On top of that, they will only cover 80% of the total bill for the stay, so I will still receive a bill afterwards. This is also a Kaiser plan and supposed to be a "Cadillac" PPO plan......:grumble:

This isn't the only thing that has me boiling. Our 2 year old, a couple months ago, hit his head on a cabinet and got a cut in his forehead that had to be stitched up with liquid stitches.

A couple weeks ago, I get a bill for $1,000 for that. WTF!!!

I am literally about to lose my shit. So far this year, we have paid over $7K in premiums and doctor bills. I just don't understand how I can pay so much money per month in premiums and then still have to pay so much out of pocket. How are people that don't work for unions or government expected to survive? This is absolute insanity.:thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

For example, in 2009 when we had our 2nd, we received a bill for $15K and at the bottom all we had to pay was $100 co pay (Kaiser). Our monthly premiums were significantly less too.

Fast forward to last Thursday when we went in for #5. After paying almost $700 / month for "insurance", I get told that our co pay for the baby is $1,700!! :yikes

On top of that, they will only cover 80% of the total bill for the stay, so I will still receive a bill afterwards. This is also a Kaiser plan and supposed to be a "Cadillac" PPO plan......:grumble:

This isn't the only thing that has me boiling. Our 2 year old, a couple months ago, hit his head on a cabinet and got a cut in his forehead that had to be stitched up with liquid stitches.

I am literally about to lose my shit. So far this year, we have paid over $7K in premiums and doctor bills. I just don't understand how I can pay so much money per month in premiums and then still have to pay so much out of pocket. How are people that don't work for unions or government expected to survive? This is absolute insanity.:thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown

Where do you think the extra money is going? It is going to subsidize the people that don't have employer provided health insurance that enroll in "Covered California".

I went through similar frustrations when we had our 2nd kid last year. My out of pocket was almost $3k. I pay $900 a month for health insurance now. It used to be about $600. First kid was around $400 out of pocket.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
This is not going to be a popular response and this isn't directed at you but here it goes....I don't think insurance should cover child birth at all. Having a child is a choice unlike an illness. Getting bolt on :boobeyes: is also a choice and is not covered by insurance.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Where do you think the extra money is going? It is going to subsidize the people that don't have employer provided health insurance that enroll in "Covered California".

I went through similar frustrations when we had our 2nd kid last year. My out of pocket was almost $3k.

I am afraid to see how much more we will owe. Maybe I shouldn't have let her get that Epidural.......:rolleyes

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This is not going to be a popular response and this isn't directed at you but here it goes....I don't think insurance should cover child birth at all. Having a child is a choice unlike an illness. Getting bolt on :boobeyes: is also a choice and is not covered by insurance.

Fine. Then don't require me by law to have health insurance.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
My daughter fell on a glass table today helping mom at work take down bulletin boards and got staple stitches at Kaiser today for $230. Not bad I suppose. I pay $166 for her a month.

IMG_8997.jpg

Andy B.

Reaction score
THE DEMOCRATIC WAY OF GETTING HONEST,HARD WORKING PEOPLE TO PAY FOR THE ENTITLED PEOPLE IN THE WORLD! Obama how in the hell he got elected twice is beyond belief!! Obamacare is brought up a lot in the P&G section. People don't realize that's just the tip of that law more to come in the future, fuck people are stupid sheep rant over...............

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I don't recall the cost for the first, I wrote a check for 2-3k for our second, 30 days after, to the day, of receiving "complimentary" open heart surgery. I was in the same hospital for 10 days. :yikes

At that time, I hadn't worked for around two months, I couldn't work for around 6 months after that. Going up the stairs was a full time job.

How cheap is a vasectomy OSB? :)

We pay around $850 a month now for all of us and have sky high deductibles to boot.

Brian

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am afraid to see how much more we will owe. Maybe I shouldn't have let her get that Epidural.......:rolleyes

The first time around they let my wife hit the button again... that was $3k but zero cost to us. This last time
The shit wore off way too soon.. I wanted a refund :)

2Driver

Reaction score
In March we started Obama care. The 3 of us have only 1 choice for a provider, lost every doctor we had, some for 20 years and some mid diagnosis.

$22,000 a year with $6,000 deductible. So $28,000 a year before they pick up a dime, then only 80% until the next calendar year starts a new deductible to wade through. :finger

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Here is what has ALWAYS pissed me off.

How come no one can ever tell me what my out of pocket costs will be BEFORE I get the bill. They should be able to tell me that right at the office, before any "checkup" non emergency appointment.

Instead the spring the "well you owe x from last time." crap.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
In March we started Obama care. The 3 of us have only 1 choice for a provider, lost every doctor we had, some for 20 years and some mid diagnosis.

$22,000 a year with $6,000 deductible. So $28,000 a year before they pick up a dime, then only 80% until the next calendar year starts a new deductible to wade through. :finger

What you need to do is make less money!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Fortunate to be union. Baby was 500 bucks. Prescriptions are 10. Co pay is 15. Emergency is 100. We use Kaiser

Advantage 1

Reaction score
In January of this year, I had my deviated septum 'fixed'. Septoplasty I believe is the fancy term.

I have United Health Care and pay $63.23 a month. This surgery was just about $13,000. I paid a $500 deductible and various little bills from Scripps, the Dr who performed the procedure and the anesthesiologist... all in, I was out of pocket about $1,000 of the $13,000. I count that as a win.

One more year and my company picks up 50% of my monthly premium. At 5 years, they pick up 100% :thumbsup

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

You have to have a corporation, show a menial income and get Obamacare. At least that's how I am told it is done.

My wifey works for a hospital so that helps a ton.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

Jeez, I can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree wholeheartedly with Grads. Somebody get me a bottle, NO make it a handle. Ah crap just bring the barrel.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I don't recall the cost for the first, I wrote a check for 2-3k for our second, 30 days after, to the day, of receiving "complimentary" open heart surgery. I was in the same hospital for 10 days. :yikes

At that time, I hadn't worked for around two months, I couldn't work for around 6 months after that. Going up the stairs was a full time job.

How cheap is a vasectomy OSB? :)

We pay around $850 a month now for all of us and have sky high deductibles to boot.

Brian

I should also add I had an ER room visit after the bike wreck and it just so happens there is something called, "Out of Network", even in an emergency situation. I had to write a $15K check to arrowhead regional for that 4 hour stay or they were going to put a lien on my newly purchased house.

UltraLucky

Reaction score

This is what I pay as an employer/per employee per year. +/- 20k a year per eligible employee. If someone is paying less than $1,000/month for a family plan it is being subsidized by someone either the employer or the through taxes on others.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
You have to have a corporation, show a menial income and get Obamacare. At least that's how I am told it is done.

My wifey works for a hospital so that helps a ton.

Easier to do that as an agent, but as an LO, not so much. Dodd-Frank needs to be unwound to change the LO comp rules for me to go back to doing it like that.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Jeez, I can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree wholeheartedly with Grads. Somebody get me a bottle, NO make it a handle. Ah crap just bring the barrel.

Lol yea if a hospital won't turn away an illegal alien with a cold you think they will turn away a pregnant mother giving birth? It is a nice thought but there is no practical way enforce that kind of policy. It will be paid for by the tax payer.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

You are referring to bobcare or other taxpayer funded healthcare, correct?

Otherwise, private health insurance is an insurance plan for healthcare, specifically for illnesses and anything else that arises, including pregnancy.

RodnJen

Reaction score
I should also add I had an ER room visit after the bike wreck and it just so happens there is something called, "Out of Network", even in an emergency situation. I had to write a $15K check to arrowhead regional for that 4 hour stay or they were going to put a lien on my newly purchased house.

It's because the health systems and insurance companies are in it together. I haven't read the book yet.

https://www.holisticprimarycare.net...r-pr-director-for-cigna-health-insurance.html

This is nothing new.

http://wolfstreet.com/2014/09/16/how-hospitals-and-health-insurers-collude-to-keep-prices-high/

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

That IS Cadillac...

Singleton

Reaction score
This is how I look at insurance now.
Middle son was in ATV accident and had internal bleeding. Total costs when I got all bills including Medevav to emergency surgery was 200k. Outside my annual premium (apx 12k), i paid 3k (out of pocket max). Worth ever penny I have ever paid

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score

But you're all for the Gubment paying for abortions, right???? :thumbsdown

RCDave

Reaction score
I recently got bit by a black widow spider. This required 2 surgeries including a skin graft. The bill totals over $30K so far. I had to pay $6K in deductables and still fighting with insurance over the billings. The costs relative to the work performed is INSANITY.....

This country is broken and I don't see any fixes on the horizon.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

I'd like to ask you guys this. Since we chose to have a baby and he spent 3.5 months in the NICU should I be responsible for that stay, his treatment, surgeries etc as well?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Prior to the "Affordable Health Care Act" I paid about $800 for a family of four.

Costs went up each year to nearly $3000 a month for the same plan.

We switched plans and now pay about $1800 a month, which I have been conditioned to think is a bargain. :rolleyes

As a small business owner, it kills us. No company pays it, except mine.

The other thing that hurts is the five mandatory sick days we know have to pay to all employees. California is just three days, but San Diego is five. So there goes another $15,000 in direct costs, plus the money we don't make from them working those days..

I am making myself ill...

Don't open a small business in California! Get a cushy job for the water company! LOL

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
If my rates are going to go up because of claims I'd rather see my money go towards these claims....

657ca0daf667d9a3342395feac9ac8d7.jpg

Than these.....

p_101528432.jpg

Just saying...

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand the hostility towards liberals over "free" healthcare / Obamacare, because I would be willing to bet that the majority of people on this forum whether Republican or Democrat send/sent their kids to public school for a "free" education that people who don't have children have to foot the bill for. And on top of that, those with kids get a tax break while those without kids or those who send their kids to private schools don't. Please explain that shit?

Just like some liberal chick on welfare can pop out as many kids as she wants and collect food stamps and EBT cards, a married conservative couple can pop out as many kids as they want and send them to public schools at the expense of others.

If you want everyone to pay their equal share then pay for all of your own shit, not just pick and choose what you should and shouldn't pay for. Or just accept the fact that both sides of the political spectrum get free shit in on way or another.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I don't understand the hostility towards liberals over "free" healthcare / Obamacare, because I would be willing to bet that the majority of people on this forum whether Republican or Democrat send/sent their kids to public school for a "free" education that people who don't have children have to foot the bill for. And on top of that, those with kids get a tax break while those without kids or those who send their kids to private schools don't. Please explain that shit?

Just like some liberal chick on welfare can pop out as many kids as she wants and collect food stamps and EBT cards, a married conservative couple can pop out as many kids as they want and send them to public schools at the expense of others.

If you want everyone to pay their equal share then pay for all of your own shit, not just pick and choose what you should and shouldn't pay for. Or just accept the fact that both sides of the political spectrum get free shit in on way or another.

Well that would be common sense thinking and we will have none of that...............

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Been paying $11,000 a year for my personal health care with $10k deductible.
Got diagnosed with cancer, blew through the $10k in the first month. The following month I turned 65 and enrolled in Medicare. With my supplemental insurance I've paid 0 since. 6 weeks of radiation chemo at 3500 day, 115k surgery and 12 sessions of chemo at 20k a pop. This doesn't include the many blood tests, ct scans, pet scans, etc. Even if you have insurance, the deductibles and copays could bankrupt you.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Easier to do that as an agent, but as an LO, not so much. Dodd-Frank needs to be unwound to change the LO comp rules for me to go back to doing it like that.

Trust me, its just a matter of time before they try to make me a W-2 employee. The government does not like corporations or self employed. They prefer to take the money up front and determine if you deserve anything back.

2Driver

Reaction score
Free LOL ya think? You pay dearly for this total shit pile of education. Whats the US, 11th in the world ranking for education?

A lot of Public Ed is about pay, pension, benifits, big admin depts, time off and not being able to be fired. LOL after that its all about the kiddos.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Trust me, its just a matter of time before they try to make me a W-2 employee. The government does not like corporations or self employed. They prefer to take the money up front and determine if you deserve anything back.

If that was the case, corporate lobbyists would not exist. They love corporations, the bigger the better. :thumbsup

Wadernation

Reaction score
The other thing that hurts is the five mandatory sick days we know have to pay to all employees. California is just three days, but San Diego is five. So there goes another $15,000 in direct costs, plus the money we don't make from them working those days..

LOL

its five? our company here in SD gives us the 3 days...but we now have 3 less days of PTO to compensate for that change :rolleyes how convenient.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to move from a job that I paid $600 per month for everyone to an awesome company that pays 100%.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
its five? our company here in SD gives us the 3 days...but we now have 3 less days of PTO to compensate for that change :rolleyes how convenient.

California is three, City of SD is five days.

https://www.littler.com/publication...ick-leave-changes-san-diego-and-san-francisco

The San Diego Earned Sick Leave and Minimum Wage ordinance was originally approved on August 18, 2014, and scheduled to become operative on April 1, 2015. However, one month later opponents filed a petition that suspended the law. The City Council then voted to submit the matter to voters at the June 7, 2016 election, who approved the measure. Although many wondered whether the law would apply retroactively, the City Attorney previously issued a memorandum concluding it would not and that the law would not be operational until the council adopts a resolution declaring the election?s results unless an earlier date is specified in the resolution.

Coverage: The San Diego law applies to all employers with covered employees. Employees are covered if they perform at least two hours of work within the City of San Diego?s geographic boundaries for an employer in one or more calendar weeks of the year, and are entitled to the state minimum wage or are participants in a State of California Welfare-to-Work Program. But, there are exceptions for: (1) individuals paid a sub-minimum wage under a special license (Cal. Lab. Code ?? 1191, 1191.5); (2) individuals employed under a publicly subsidized summer or short-term youth employment program; (3) student employees, camp counselors, or program counselors of an organized camp; and (4) independent contractors. However, there is no carve-out for unionized workers.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It sound like you have the employee perspective vs Mandys employer perspective.[emoji3] [emoji4]
Tons of companies paid voluntarily, makes sense for them not to be forced to double dipped just cuz the gov said its now mandatory....just sayin[emoji6]

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Just say your name is Juan Rodriguez and it's free.

Actually, you can say John Doe and that your mailing address is General Mail at whatever USPS you want and they have to serve you. When we were in Norcal, my wife worked at the hospital and she freaked out. All it was was druggies using that line as well as a number of others to get drugs.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

I pay property taxes (which fund public schools), pay for my kid to go to private schools because the public school in our neighborhood sucks, paid out of pocket for the girlfriends insurance for the last 8 years, which covered the birth, because I can't get her on my plan through work since we're not married, pay for my insurance and the kid's through work, and pay for fawking everything else that I need/want. The GF qualifies for every program under the sun as a "single mom", but we don't need it, so we don't take it. It's been a struggle at times, since she is a stay at home and I'm not a baller, but we make it work. Am I allowed to be hostile towards all the freeloading asshole liberals?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I guess I won't complain about my $300/mo insurance costs. :D