WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Health Care Costs

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
This is not going to be a popular response and this isn't directed at you but here it goes....I don't think insurance should cover child birth at all. Having a child is a choice unlike an illness. Getting bolt on :boobeyes: is also a choice and is not covered by insurance.
So if you choose to get drunk and crash into a tree then should your insurance cover you?? Just like if you choose to smoke and then get lung cancer. If people didn't choose to have kids then what would happen to our civilization?

Remember, some KID that someone else chose to have will be wiping your old wrinkly ass at some point.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I pay property taxes (which fund public schools), pay for my kid to go to private schools because the public school in our neighborhood sucks, paid out of pocket for the girlfriends insurance for the last 8 years, which covered the birth, because I can't get her on my plan through work since we're not married, pay for my insurance and the kid's through work, and pay for fawking everything else that I need/want. The GF qualifies for every program under the sun as a "single mom", but we don't need it, so we don't take it. It's been a struggle at times, since she is a stay at home and I'm not a baller, but we make it work. Am I allowed to be hostile towards all the freeloading asshole liberals?

In my opinion, property taxes should not go towards schools. You have a kid, you pay for their school. I think that all schools should be privately ran. If you can't afford to educate your child, don't have one. The government can't run anything well. Look at how poor the educational system is now and how expensive it is.

Imagine if people were actually held financially responsible for their child's education. I'm sure condom and birth control stock would go up and health care and taxes would go down for everyone else. :thumbsup

BasilHayden

Reaction score
This is what I pay as an employer/per employee per year. +/- 20k a year per eligible employee. If someone is paying less than $1,000/month for a family plan it is being subsidized by someone either the employer or the through taxes on others.

Of course you realize we still aren't paying our fair share...only an employer can understand the true cost and YOU are still the jerk.:drink

TCHB

Reaction score
You guys should make sure you kids go to law school and then become a State Senator.

Great benifits and retirement programs.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I pay property taxes (which fund public schools), pay for my kid to go to private schools because the public school in our neighborhood sucks, paid out of pocket for the girlfriends insurance for the last 8 years, which covered the birth, because I can't get her on my plan through work since we're not married, pay for my insurance and the kid's through work, and pay for fawking everything else that I need/want. The GF qualifies for every program under the sun as a "single mom", but we don't need it, so we don't take it. It's been a struggle at times, since she is a stay at home and I'm not a baller, but we make it work. Am I allowed to be hostile towards all the freeloading asshole liberals?

For levity sake, I think you might check with an attorney, pretty sure at this point you are married whether you like it or not, just saying, 8 years. But seriously you can be pissed, but also know you are doing it right.

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
For levity sake, I think you might check with an attorney, pretty sure at this point you are married whether you like it or not, just saying, 8 years. But seriously you can be pissed, but also know you are doing it right.

No need to bother an attorney. California is not a common law marriage state. Common misconception. Like many other things in this thread.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Health care in America has little to do with actual care, and is more focused on making money.

I get the profit motive and whatnot, but I sorta feel our health is being held hostage while our pockets are picked clean.

Have you seen healthcare stocks lately? They preform pretty well...

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Prior to the "Affordable Health Care Act" I paid about $800 for a family of four.

Costs went up each year to nearly $3000 a month for the same plan.

We switched plans and now pay about $1800 a month, which I have been conditioned to think is a bargain. :rolleyes

As a small business owner, it kills us. No company pays it, except mine.

The other thing that hurts is the five mandatory sick days we know have to pay to all employees. California is just three days, but San Diego is five. So there goes another $15,000 in direct costs, plus the money we don't make from them working those days..

I am making myself ill...

Don't open a small business in California! Get a cushy job for the water company! LOL

This the exact reason I will only have one full time employee. I hire pipe fitters by the job or sub-out when my partner and myself need help.
It's just not worth all of the hassle, paperwork and the California BS on top of it all.

I

TCHB

Reaction score
Taking into consideration the majority of millennials are fucking idiots, I think it would benefit our civilization.

That is what my dad said about the long haired, draft dodging, bra burning hippies.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
This the exact reason I will only have one full time employee. I hire pipe fitters by the job or sub-out when my partner and myself need help.
It's just not worth all of the hassle, paperwork and the California BS on top of it all.

I

What do you think of the new law about pipe fitters having to be state certified to install fire sprinklers.

TCHB

Reaction score
What do you think of the new law about pipe fitters having to be state certified to install fire sprinklers.

In the power plant world electrical contractors in California must be certified electricirtans. I have to say the new group was much better than contractors showing up with so called electricians. We have always had certified high pressure welders..

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
In the power plant world electrical contractors in California must be certified electricirtans. I have to say the new group was much better than contractors showing up with so called electricians. We have always had certified high pressure welders..

Yep. The new law requires all fitters to complete an apprentice program of 5 years I believe. Not to thread jack, insurance comes with the program. :D

TCHB

Reaction score
When I started at SCE in 1977 all crafts had to go through a formal apprenticeship before they could go out and work. I feel the programs did work and produced some really good journeyman that understood their skill.

When you a 18KV transformer relay you want a guy that has great trouble shooting skills and repair skills. The last you want is a guy to say it is ok energize it and see if it works.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I should also add I had an ER room visit after the bike wreck and it just so happens there is something called, "Out of Network", even in an emergency situation. I had to write a $15K check to arrowhead regional for that 4 hour stay or they were going to put a lien on my newly purchased house.
Did you lay down a bike ,coming up from silverwood?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
In my opinion, property taxes should not go towards schools. You have a kid, you pay for their school. I think that all schools should be privately ran. If you can't afford to educate your child, don't have one. The government can't run anything well. Look at how poor the educational system is now and how expensive it is.

Imagine if people were actually held financially responsible for their child's education. I'm sure condom and birth control stock would go up and health care and taxes would go down for everyone else. :thumbsup
Probably not on the taxes. Once the gooberment has their grubby paws on your money, they don't like to let go. They will just find something else to waste it on

thetub

Reaction score

WTF are you saying, we must not only pay, but pay more...

they are going after prop. 13 as we speak.... or type...

thetub

Reaction score

[video=youtube_https;Hrm-rPSCIBw]https://youtu.be/Hrm-rPSCIBw[/video]

yore getting the picture now...

now take this book and apply it to Kalifornias government...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
When I started at SCE in 1977 all crafts had to go through a formal apprenticeship before they could go out and work. I feel the programs did work and produced some really good journeyman that understood their skill.

When you a 18KV transformer relay you want a guy that has great trouble shooting skills and repair skills. The last you want is a guy to say it is ok energize it and see if it works.
My ex's father was a pipe fitter/welder. He helped build SONGS and Diablo. Grumpy MFer that was the graveyard Super.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
That is what my dad said about the long haired, draft dodging, bra burning hippies.

Your dad was right as most of them turned into government employees or government assistance recipients who gave birth to millennials. :D

Sure, the new age "hippies" aren't burning bras or dodging drafts, they're burning flags and demanding free college.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
WTF are you saying, we must not only pay, but pay more...

they are going after prop. 13 as we speak.... or type...

Basically. If you have a kid, you pay for it. Why should I?

Before the public education system, families educated their own. Either in home, a church or a community ran school. Children learned skills that were important to their environment. Not a one size fits all Federal education that is clearly failing.

oldschool

Reaction score
This is not going to be a popular response and this isn't directed at you but here it goes....I don't think insurance should cover child birth at all. Having a child is a choice unlike an illness. Getting bolt on :boobeyes: is also a choice and is not covered by insurance.

MINE DIDN'T. My health insurance, SGP Benefit Plan, went belly up right as we were having our second daughter. This was after years of paying big premiums, I think it was around 15k a year back in 2001.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Basically. If you have a kid, you pay for it. Why should I?

Before the public education system, families educated their own. Either in home, a church or a community ran school. Children learned skills that were important to their environment. Not a one size fits all Federal education that is clearly failing.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks NGE

C-2

Reaction score

You mean, back when the majority of the country were farmers in the 1700's and 1800's?

Times have changed. The US is maniacal about their insistence upon education; no other country does the same.

Community college and the CalState system is still affordable and you can walk away with a great education. As someone who recently returned to 3 semesters of community college after a 30-year absence, I can tell you too, the difference in curriculum is like night and day. Back then, it was somewhat easy. Now, it's fast paced and comprehensive, and if you are a fuck-off, the education system does not wait around for you; they pass you by.

But, I agree with your thoughts about skills local to the environment, and would add that too much emphasis is placed on STEM, instead of vocational skills.

And, I agree with your other post about people bitching over free public education. Here's a thought - don't make your kid get a student loan; pay for college, or send them to community college. It's the parents who are letting their kids fall into the private college/student loan trap.

For the record, I pay for private school, and I also pay $710 per month for a family of 3 for my "free" Obamacare (Silver Molina). I have a $6K out of pocket cap, that I know means I am responsible for (surprise surprise) $6K if shiat hits the fan. And, I can call in advance to get an accurate estimate of my portion of the co-pay. You know, to see if I can afford to fix that broken limb. :eek

K-DOG

Reaction score
I feel all of your pain but I am very lucky my wife works for Kaiser. Free healthcare and $5 copays for the entire family.