WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WHAT WOULD U DO...

MOUZER

Reaction score
THIS QUESTION WAS ASKED OF ME TODAY BY A NEIGHBOR . WOKE UP TO A INTRUDER IN HIS HOUSE DOWN STAIRS.......HE HAS A GUN BUT YELLED AT THE 2 MEN OR BOYS THAT HE HAD A GUN..THEY RAN OUT THE FRONT DOOR......QUESTION WAS..WHAT WOULD I DO..HE KNOWS I HAVE A BEAR AS A DOG WHO SLEEPS ON ARE STAIRS AND WOULD ATTACK A INTRUDER BUT WHAT IF I HAD NO DOG........I SAID I THINK I WOULD FLIP ON THE LIGHT TO MAKE SURE ITS NOT MY KIDS AND WANTS THAT WAS KNOWN I WOULD DEF OPEN FIRE ON THERE ASSES.....HE SAID U COULD TAKE A LIFE,I SAID IF THEY BROKE INTO MY HOUSE NO PROBLEM......HE SAID HE COULDNT DO IT.....HE SAID MAYBE IF THEY CAME AT HIM UP THE STAIRS.......BASIC QUESTION IS WHAT WOULD U DO..FIRE AT THEM OR JUST YELL AND HOPE THEY RUN OUT.......I WAS JUST CURIOUS.....

Heylam

Reaction score
I would call 911 and then yell at them hoping they were arrested upon leaving. Only time I'd fire on someone is if I felt me or my family's life was in danger.

Mhemperly

Reaction score
Shoot.

My skin starts crawling just thinking about some no good scum bag, sorry excuse of a human being breaking into my home that I've worked so hard to buy and to just come in and steal my things that my hard earned cash paid for. And on top of all that.... the most important thing in my opinion. Making my family not feel safe in thier home. They deserve to die. Wouldn't think twice.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Why own a gun if your not willing to take a life. Isn't that the most likely outcome of defending your familly with a gun. How much does he want for since he won't use it. And he just told them theres guns to come back and steal later cause he won't do anything anyway.

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If what you said actually happened and you shot them as they were running out the front door after you yelled you had a gun, you'd probably let be in jail in CA. They didn't threaten you or your life in that scenario.

If they came up the stairs, you might be ok.

MOUZER

Reaction score
Why own a gun if your not willing to take a life. Isn't that the most likely outcome of defending your familly with a gun. How much does he want for since he won't use it. And he just told them theres guns to come back and steal later cause he won't do anything anyway.

both my kids have been to gun range to learn and use my 38 and they know where its at and clips and use it if someone breaks in......dont hesitate.....:eek

rrrr

Reaction score
If what you said actually happened and you shot them as they were running out the front door after you yelled you had a gun, you'd probably let be in jail in CA. They didn't threaten you or your life in that scenario.

In Texas if someone is

1. On your property

2. Attempting to steal items or goods that belong to you

3. It's nighttime

It's legal to use deadly force.

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other?s imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Not that I would. In my house? Hell yeah.

MOUZER

Reaction score

yes we know if they get outside drag them back in.........lol j/k

and i wouldnt say i had a gun...they would find out......

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
yes we know if they get outside drag them back in.........lol

So you'd execute them.

Noted.

Dead men tell no tales.
However, forensic science unfortunately does.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
yes we know if they get outside drag them back in.........lol j/k

You'd better plant some kind of weapon near them then.. a kitchen knife, hammer, stapler, something. This ain't Texas.

MOUZER

Reaction score
NO.....the question was what would u do....wouldnt want to kill anybody.....they might get hit by a bullett as there shitting there pants looking for a exit big difference....if they just dropped to the ground i would say dont move till police get there........and cover them.... its a tuff question...thats why i asked it...1 neighbor said with no dought u break in my house u die..
i quess theres probably to many senerios and which state u live in to answer the question.........i know calif is you can only use deadly force inside your home if your life is threatened......i just think if i woke up and my kids are all in bed and theres a intruder in the house he might get a bullet........atleast shot at....thats inside my home...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So you'd execute them.

Noted.

Dead men tell no tales.
However, forensic science unfortunately does.

Don't break into MOUZER's house and you won't be executed. That seems simple enough.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
NO.....the question was what u do....wouldnt want to kill anybody.....they might get hit by a bullett as there shitting there pants looking for a exit big difference....if they just dropped to the ground i would say dont move till police get there........and cover them.... its a tuff question...thats why i asked it...

I wouldn't announce shit, but I'd make sure they hear me rack the shotgun.

MOUZER

Reaction score
Our alarm would already be triggered...

what if no alarm..i also have alarm and a big dog so the question to me was what if i had no dog or alarm and woke up to someone creeping around down stairs.......hell i dont have anything wourth stealing....like i said i would flip light on he would see i have a gun pointed at him or them...rest is up to them....

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
what if no alarm..i also have alarm and a big dog so the question to me was what if i had no dog or alarm and woke up to someone creeping around down stairs.......hell i dont have anything wourth stealing....like i said i would flip light on he would see i have a gun pointed at him or them...rest is up to them....

Probably one warning shot?
I have a mossberg so not too worried about bullet travel.

But I gotta say, why anyone chooses not to have at least a simple alarm just baffles the shit out of me.

I don't know the stats, but I would think 99% of intruders will haul ass when that siren goes off?
Dog and especially an alarm system removes the need for the decision altogether.
If they aren't deterred by an alarm or dog, then they are coming for you anyway and it's time to respond...

rrrr

Reaction score
Ok Walt Kowalski*

:rolleyes

I'll explain. You see, Mouzer wrote "j/k" after his statement.

This is a commonly known abbreviation for the phrase "just kidding". That insertion is known as a modifier. In the written word, a modifier alters the perceived meaning of the preceding statement.

Since most people are cognizant that the phrase "just kidding" renders the preceding statement invalid, they wouldn't presume the writer's intent was serious.

I hope the above enlightens your understanding of the written word and the common idioms of the English language.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I'll explain. You see, Mouzer wrote "j/k" after his statement.

This is a commonly known abbreviation for the phrase "just kidding". That insertion is known as a modifier. In the written word, a modifier alters the perceived meaning of the preceding statement.

Since most people are cognizant that the phrase "just kidding" renders the preceding statement invalid, they wouldn't presume the writer's intent was serious.

I hope the above enlightens your understanding of the written word and the common idioms of the English language.
e65066b39caaed95058cb02c077a96471404135013_full.png

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
I hope none of you ever has to look down the barrel of a weapon and take a life. It's not as easy as you think it is.

That being said, if it were me, I would yell down the stairs that I'm armed and I've called 911. I already have a position of advantage unless you're planning on burning me out of my house. You aren't getting at me unless you're wiling to come up the stairs. Good luck with that.

saucedaddy

Reaction score
:eek
Probably one warning shot?
I have a mossberg so not too worried about bullet travel.

But I gotta say, why anyone chooses not to have at least a simple alarm just baffles the shit out of me.

I don't know the stats, but I would think 99% of intruders will haul ass when that siren goes off?
Dog and especially an alarm system removes the need for the decision altogether.
If they aren't deterred by an alarm or dog, then they are coming for you anyway and it's time to respond...
This! Minus the "Warning Shot", if they get past the alarm & Mad Dog they get the Full Monty. They didn't give me a heads up and if they want the sauce that bad, they will be back.:thumbsdown

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I hope none of you ever has to look down the barrel of a weapon and take a life. It's not as easy as you think it is.

That being said, if it were me, I would yell down the stairs that I'm armed and I've called 911. I already have a position of advantage unless you're planning on burning me out of my house. You aren't getting at me unless you're wiling to come up the stairs. Good luck with that.

I would have no problem blasting a mutha fucker who was threatening my family.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
This another reason why we need tougher gun laws in this county, that way we can keep them out of the hands of criminals. The only people who can be trusted with guns are law enforcement agents. Until such a law passes, our families will never be safe at night.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
:eek
This! Minus the "Warning Shot", if they get past the alarm & Mad Dog they get the Full Monty. They didn't give me a heads up and if they want the sauce that bad, they will be back.:thumbsdown

I meant if you had no dog or alarm perhaps a warning shot would scare them off.

But yeah, alarm is crucial IMO.

Icky

Reaction score
This another reason why we need tougher gun laws in this county, that way we can keep them out of the hands of criminals. The only people who can be trusted with guns are law enforcement agents. Until such a law passes, our families will never be safe at night.

You're joking right......

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Maybe, but it would be presumptuous to assume none of us have faced these types of situations.

I agree....every situation is different too. Unless you're holstering a gun in your chonies....you may not even have time to get it. What now?

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The bad guys downstairs, running out of the house? No, I'm not going to shoot, to much to lose if someone second guesses the decision.

Bad guy downstairs, coming up the stairs? Yeah, open fire.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Several years ago I had been woken up by my dog and a weird bark he was outside and was going crazy never like before roughly 2am. I went looked through the peep hole on my door and there were three male blacks getting ready to come through the front door with the dog outside barking. I told the wife to call 911 and grabbed the 9 and unlocked loaded and ready to spray the hell out of them. Then I hit the panic on the alarm and went back to the front door they were gone, I waited a sec to go out and check around with the 9 while 911 operators were screaming at the wife for me not to do that. I have an attached garage and wanted to make sure they weren't in there since the kids room share the wall with the garage I wanted to make sure they were gone and then brought the dog in. Dog was a lab so he would have just licked them to death in case your wondering. Cops showed up said next time put a hole in them and drag them back in or if there in the attached garage its still part of your home so shoot them. This was an eye opener allot of thoughts go through your head could it be my kids their friends etc. so while I will defend my family and home I also want to ensure I don't make a mistake shooting someone we know.

So to answer your question I don't think anyone knows what they would do until they are in this situation being that every circumstance is different, now should they not have fled and entered your damn straight they would have been dead. However having to live with that decision is not something anyone should take lightly.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I agree....every situation is different too. Unless you're holstering a gun in your chonies....you may not even have time to get it. What now?

That's a point I make every time one of these threads comes up, without an alarm or dog it is sheer luck if you wake up in time to prepare.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My dad in bed 3 am. Dead sleep. Hears the floor creak. ( never could get that sqeak out dammit). Reachs over feels my mom still in bed. Rlls over sees a guy standing in his bed room. Now fortunately my mom made him take the revolv3r out from under the pillow years ago. Moves to open night stand and the guy takes off. Stays just far enough ahead my dad cant get a shot off. Call 911. Oh boy. Cops are down the street. Guy already faced my neighbors mastif and .44. Guy was caught eventually because he had a cigarette purse with a card with moms names on it.
Glad he didnt kill someone in his home and didnt need to. But it changed the rules a bit.
I keep a ithica 37 12 gauge by the bed. Noisiest rattleiest gun there is. When i rack a round to the chamber everyone in the house knows it.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Having a gun as part of a home defense plan requires more than just knowing how to use it. Reconciling with yourself as to what actually shooting another human being entails is the major issue in my mind. Can you make the shot when the time comes and and can you live with the fact afterwards. The first rule to be firm upon, is one has to be concise on the fact one can pull the trigger without hesitation. In a real situation of danger, you cannot hesitate or you'll be the victim if the perp is armed. Mental preparation is key to this whole deal. You can shoot lights out into a target, but shooting a perp properly without hesitation is another deal all together.....

I've thought on this long and hard. I "can" shoot someone as the last resort. I "will" shoot if I have to. I'm sure I'll relive the moment over and again, but my plan will be that I did what I had to do.

I won't shoot even the most low life tweaker who is just stealing. But if he turns and is a real threat, Bnag!

If one of my family members or friends is in immediate danger, Bnag!

My first thoughts are to escape or to get the threat to turn and leave. I do not want to shoot unless the threat is clear and there is no other way.

The thing about carrying or having a gun for home defense that scares me, is the folks that don't do the mental preparation or have a studied ingrained plan. I shake my head in gun stores when I see guys helping their wives/gf's choose a gun base on comfort, when I can tell these ladies are not 100% committed to the responsibilities. I cringe at the range when I see these ladies struggle handle and shoot their weapon. I envision them closing their eyes and the perp takes the gun from them. Too many folks have permits and guns that are nowhere mentally prepared to use that gun and likely to be in worse danger with it, than without it.

And the other thing about shooting someone is to have a lawyer specializing in handling a shooting situation on speed dial. Even a good shoot can and likely will have negative repercussions.

As far as the OP. Yell down the stairs that LE is on the way and that you are armed and ready if someone comes up the stairs. Stay put until the cops get there and clear the lower floor. You do not know who the perps are or their capabilities. Stay safe and do not accelerate to the point where you must shoot to survive.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
That's a point I make every time one of these threads comes up, without an alarm or dog it is sheer luck if you wake up in time to prepare.

And even if you do, there are other issues. It's dark. You wake up and a perp is in the room, you're already at a disadvantage. Lasers will center you as a target. A shot at a figure will deafen you. Turning on a light will momentarily blind you. All factors that must be considered.

Like you're saying T, it's often sheer luck to awaken in time if there is not some warning. And the negatives increase putting one at a disadvantage. Having a plan is a must.

I not only have a nightstand gun, I have electronic ear protection ready. My hallway is back lit so I do not need the light and if the perp enters the bedroom, the light is behind hom giving the advantage.

Little things and plans save lives.:thumbsup

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
And even if you do, there are other issues. It's dark. You wake up and a perp is in the room, you're already at a disadvantage. Lasers will center you as a target. A shot at a figure will deafen you. Turning on a light will momentarily blind you. All factors that must be considered.

Like you're saying T, it's often sheer luck to awaken in time if there is not some warning. And the negatives increase putting one at a disadvantage. Having a plan is a must.

I not only have a nightstand gun, I have electronic ear protection ready. My hallway is back lit so I do not need the light and if the perp enters the bedroom, the light is behind hom giving the advantage.

Little things and plans save lives.:thumbsup

You would have loved my set up at our old property.

dribble

Reaction score

California has a castle law. You have no duty to retreat. if someone is inside your occupied dwelling it is already assumed that they mean to do you harm. You have the legal right to shoot first and ask questions later.

dribble

Reaction score

Count me as another one who hopes that you're joking.