WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Turbo replacement on Duramax (LBZ)

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Anyone had to replace their turbo on the LBZ duramax? Getting a P2563 and a P003A code on my 2006 with 290k miles on it. From what I have read on various forums that means the veins in the turbo are not working correctly and/or sticking from soot buildup which kind of makes sense based on the way it is driving right now. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this before and what I might be looking at for cost.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Anyone had to replace their turbo on the LBZ duramax? Getting a P2563 and a P003A code on my 2006 with 290k miles on it. From what I have read on various forums that means the veins in the turbo are not working correctly and/or sticking from soot buildup which kind of makes sense based on the way it is driving right now. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this before and what I might be looking at for cost.

I have a 2013 with 130000 miles at dealer right now injector high pressure pump went bad $16200.00 to fix calling Chevrolet on monday This is BS

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Have a buddy that just did this. Sent the turbo out and had it rebuilt/cleaned.

Carbon buildup not allowing the variable vanes to move correctly.

He was told to drive it harder. :)

He did the R & R labor for the turbo himself and sent the turbo out. I don't know what it cost to go thru the turbo. The turbo R & R was a shit job for sure.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I have a 2013 with 130000 miles at dealer right now injector high pressure pump went bad $16200.00 to fix calling Chevrolet on monday This is BS

Please tell me that is a typo.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
VVT turbos do not like to sit. They need to be used and driven pretty hard more often than not. Keeps them clean and working properly. I have pulled a few with seized vanes from sitting.

Easy enough to pull and clean the turbo yourself.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

I'm a duramax enthusiast and yes the CP4 can cost more than $10,000 if it blows and sends metal through your injectors meaning they, the pump and lines all get replaced. Thinking about doing a CP3 swap myself before this happens to my truck as I've already voided the warranty by tuning it.

thetub

Reaction score
thats why I would never buy another diesel again unless its absolutely needed.

these newer diesels are too finicky and the cost to repair is crazy...

I will say maintenance the crap out of them and always run good diesel( I like Chevron) from a known gas station...

thetub

Reaction score
I'm a duramax enthusiast and yes the CP4 can cost more than $10,000 if it blows and sends metal through your injectors meaning they, the pump and lines all get replaced. Thinking about doing a CP3 swap myself before this happens to my truck as I've already voided the warranty by tuning it.

wow isnt there a way to run some sort of filter or screen to catch that stuff?

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
wow isnt there a way to run some sort of filter or screen to catch that stuff?

Not really, it's on the high pressure side of the pump that sees up to ~29kpsi

wishiknew

Reaction score

No typo and this is the truck that was driven the least aggressive and Always serviced on time another truck that I have blew the turbo but that was 5 grand not 16200 😳

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
No typo and this is the truck that was driven the least aggressive and Always serviced on time another truck that I have blew the turbo but that was 5 grand not 16200 

Good grief.

ZifIeverneeded another reason to hate diesel trucks and outdrive boats.....

Watching my buddy work on his from time to time has told me everything I ever needed to know. Injectors, fuel pump, turbo, transmission, Gnastly oil changes....... Fuck. Me.

No thanks,

I'll stick with gas motors.

Brian

wishiknew

Reaction score
Good grief.

ZifIeverneeded another reason to hate diesel trucks and outdrive boats.....

Watching my buddy work on his from time to time has told me everything I ever needed to know. Injectors, fuel pump, turbo, transmission, Gnastly oil changes....... Fuck. Me.

No thanks,

I'll stick with gas motors.

Brian
Yeah but you can't get a gas motor that has enough power to pull the weight in my trucks

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yeah but you can't get a gas motor that has enough power to pull the weight in my trucks

Yes sir, I hear that.

So I should stick to machining and not have to haul my "tools" around? :)

wishiknew

Reaction score
Yes sir, I hear that.

So I should stick to machining and not have to haul my "tools" around? :)

Yes side note my wife's suburban with 14000 miles the transmission took a dump today also

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Have a buddy that just did this. Sent the turbo out and had it rebuilt/cleaned.

Carbon buildup not allowing the variable vanes to move correctly.

He was told to drive it harder. :)

He did the R & R labor for the turbo himself and sent the turbo out. I don't know what it cost to go thru the turbo. The turbo R & R was a shit job for sure.

I don't think it is build up as I run it pretty hard almost daily and it will spool up at about 2000 rpms. In doing some more research it may be just the VPS sensor or the actuator. Going to the shop tomorrow to have them checked out.

Certainly don't want to have the turbo pulled if I don't have to. I think the book lists it at like 12-13 labor hours.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I don't think it is build up as I run it pretty hard almost daily and it will spool up at about 2000 rpms. In doing some more research it may be just the VPS sensor or the actuator. Going to the shop tomorrow to have them checked out.

Certainly don't want to have the turbo pulled if I don't have to. I think the book lists it at like 12-13 labor hours.

Yep, we pulled the sensor first and ohmed it out and it was fine.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
On a side note, prolly three years ago, his brothers LBZDura truck was pulling a trailer over Cajon, turbo overboosted, wastegate stuck closed, or injectors went wide open....don't recall that the final diagnosis was, only I know it blowtorched three pistons. :yikes

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Dude, I don't doubt it. That is in a shop with a lift, ect.

It was for a for-real job, both tires off, inner fenders out I think too, up top work, underneath work...it was a shit job.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Dude, I don't doubt it. That is in a shop with a lift, ect.

It was for a for-real job, both tires off, inner fenders out I think too, up top work, underneath work...it was a shit job.

Yep. They couldn't have put that thing in a worse spot!

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Update: It ended up just being the vain position sensor was bad. Stealership wanted about $800 for a new one. Found an aftermarket one online for $100. Works just like new again. :thumbsup