WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hot mess floating down the river

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
I missed a pic, but theres a group of kids floating down the river- in the dark. Probably 15-20 of them. Just passing Willow valley through wake Board alley. They had a few flash lights but would be really hard to see if a boat was cruising about now. Hopefully they make where they plan to end up all in tact.

traquer

Reaction score
Scary, hope they had enough sense to shine a flashlight at someone approaching.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Funny.... I frequently think back to all the really stupid shit I did as a kid when these stories come up. From a parents perspective I think "Ahh HELL NO you aint doing that." From a teenager perspective I think "Fuck Yeah. Do you think the bike tire tube will last or should I poney up for an actual floating tube and strarve for a couple days?":thumbsup

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
We ended up jumping on the boat and floating about 1/2 mile behind them. One boat came by, we flashed and warned him, told him to watch out for them, they had 2 flashlights. We caught them almost at JS, asked if they still had everyone and if they needed help, they said they do this every full moon(WTF??) and were getting out at JS. Not all the bright imo.
On the other hand we had a great family conversation and some good distraction free time together. So that was cool. Also got to show my kids what stupid looked like.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
Good job! You probably saved lives.

Way back when I almost ran a kid over in Parker that was floating in the middle of the river on a black innertube late at night with no moon out, it was pitch black. I was headed up river home from dinner at Sports Valley (blast from the past) just on plane, approx. 25 MPH, when I saw something in the water, could not make out what it was but turned hard to avoid and just missed it. Turned out to be a kid floating down the river. We circled back and commented that we almost killed him and he remarked back that he has just as much a right on the water as we do. I said your right, then get the proper lighting on your inner tube so boaters can see him otherwise he will end up dead, he promptly told me to have sex with myself. I left him to his own demise at that point. Cant fix stupid.

nowski

Reaction score
Back in the day when we would go to Echo Lodge in Parker we would swim across the river to get to The Sundance. That was in our alcohol thirsty days of being an out of control 19 year old teenager. We didn't think of the dangers back then we just wanted a good time but thinking of it today that was pretty stupid...

nowski

Reaction score
One thing that some of these tube floaters should display is a couple of ski flags, that would definitely help in spotting them on the river during the day. For the more courageous night time floaters they should try using strobe lights, the same type that bicyclists use at night.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Dont mean to be a dick but as a kid this sounds like one helluva good time. And to think kids are out floating on the river instead of at home by themselves on their ipads and phones. Im hoping they could hear any boats coming and thats when they would display the flashlights.....gotta think back to our days boys....this sounds like a great time and hell might even get a couple of the gals naked skinny dippin while were at it.....shit....i say we do this ourselves!

Reaction score

Way back when I almost ran a kid over in Parker that was floating in the middle of the river on a black innertube late at night with no moon out, it was pitch black. I was headed up river home from dinner at Sports Valley (blast from the past) just on plane, approx. 25 MPH, when I saw something in the water, could not make out what it was but turned hard to avoid and just missed it. Turned out to be a kid floating down the river. We circled back and commented that we almost killed him and he remarked back that he has just as much a right on the water as we do. I said your right, then get the proper lighting on your inner tube so boaters can see him otherwise he will end up dead, he promptly told me to have sex with myself. I left him to his own demise at that point. Cant fix stupid.

man sports valley, havent heard that name in a long time. As a kid i slipped on that little launch ramp right next door to sports valley and blew my whole chin open. good times :drink

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Dont mean to be a dick but as a kid this sounds like one helluva good time. And to think kids are out floating on the river instead of at home by themselves on their ipads and phones. Im hoping they could hear any boats coming and thats when they would display the flashlights.....gotta think back to our days boys....this sounds like a great time and hell might even get a couple of the gals naked skinny dippin while were at it.....shit....i say we do this ourselves!

I did a lot of dumb things as a kid and frankly damned lucky to survived them. Kids will continue to be kids and many won't always be lucky. What I did with my 2 kids and the 6 grandkids they gave me is to advise them on the dangers of their actions. Floating on a river without safely warning powered watercraft of their presence is a gamble on their survival. Something I'd be very adamant about stopping them from doing.

I'd hope you feel the same with those beautiful young ladies you picture. I bet you do.;)

grumpy88

Reaction score
It also points out that doing stupid things as a kid does not constitute it being a tragedy when shit goes wrong .floating on the river at night is not smart even with a flash light .

traquer

Reaction score
Sad thing is if you had a couple of beers and hit them, not drunk, you would probably go to jail for 20 years !

Either that or keep on driving and feel like shit the rest of your life even though you know it wasn't your fault. Bad deal eitherway

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I did a lot of dumb things as a kid and frankly damned lucky to survived them. Kids will continue to be kids and many won't always be lucky. What I did with my 2 kids and the 6 grandkids they gave me is to advise them on the dangers of their actions. Floating on a river without safely warning powered watercraft of their presence is a gamble on their survival. Something I'd be very adamant about stopping them from doing.

I'd hope you feel the same with those beautiful young ladies you picture. I bet you do.;)

how many boats are out on the river at night? I honestly dont know but im gonna assume its not a lot. Yes i know it only takes one.....but even if they had a navigation light and even the red and green running lights something could go wrong? the safety here is maybe being in a stronger structure like a boat......but like i said as soon as you hear the boat you start waving that flashlight around any driver is gonna see it and more than likely either slow down and check it out or keep his distance. at least thats what i would do.......cant fault the kids for having some fun even tho in our eyes its not the safest thing.

Would you tell your kids or grandkids no? Or would you rig them up something for safety? Its not the worst thing these kids can be doing thats for damn sure

mobldj

Reaction score
Sad thing is if you had a couple of beers and hit them, not drunk, you would probably go to jail for 20 years !

2nd off you shouldn't be havin ANY BEER and operating a boat.face reality and let someone else drive.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That's crazy..

I remember being a kid and we swam to the california side one night to prove our self worth and manhood.. LOL Not something I'd ever do again. Shit to be honest I didn't even want to do it that night.

There's nothing skinny about us older guys swimmin naked. :D

It also points out that doing stupid things as a kid does not constitute it being a tragedy when shit goes wrong .floating on the river at night is not smart even with a flash light .

Smarter than doing it with no flash light. :D

2nd off you shouldn't be havin ANY BEER and operating a boat.face reality and let someone else drive.

Pretty Sad that our society has come to that..

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
how many boats are out on the river at night? I honestly dont know but im gonna assume its not a lot. Yes i know it only takes one.....but even if they had a navigation light and even the red and green running lights something could go wrong? the safety here is maybe being in a stronger structure like a boat......but like i said as soon as you hear the boat you start waving that flashlight around any driver is gonna see it and more than likely either slow down and check it out or keep his distance. at least thats what i would do.......cant fault the kids for having some fun even tho in our eyes its not the safest thing.

Would you tell your kids or grandkids no? Or would you rig them up something for safety? Its not the worst thing these kids can be doing thats for damn sure

I see a decent amount of boats passing thru Needles at night, with AND without lights on. It surprises me, at least 2 boats per hour during the summer. Some hauling ass! After almost nailing some dipshit on a ski without lights driving home in the dark, i have to say i'm against these kids floating without bright lights

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

So If someone hit your kid(s) on a dimly, incorrectly or not lit at all inner tube at night you would not try to sue the driver of the boat civilly? You really are going to rely on a flashlight?

This is just like a bike at night with no light or reflectors on the streets... you are asking to get hit.

Englewood

Reaction score
A friend went out fishing at 6am on Sat morning in Parker and found 2 girls floating in the middle of the river just south of Pirates. One of them was struggling to stay afloat. He gave them a ride to Bluewater. They had no phones/ID/nothing...I'm guessing they passed out after a bar trip and thought they'd float home? It sounds like the one girl was about out of gas...Could've been a bad ending. The one did offer him a "favor" as a thank you.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So If someone hit your kid(s) on a dimly, incorrectly or not lit at all inner tube at night you would not try to sue the driver of the boat civilly? You really are going to rely on a flashlight?

This is just like a bike at night with no light or reflectors on the streets... you are asking to get hit.

if any boat operator doesnt see a flashlight pointed straight at them they are either blind,drunk, or in no way shape or form able to operate a boat at night.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
if any boat operator doesnt see a flashlight pointed straight at them they are either blind,drunk, or in no way shape or form able to operate a boat at night.

I get that, just seems like you are putting a lot of faith in a small flashlight right above the waterline. When it is pitch black your depth perception can be off, especially with a single small light and nothing else to judge against.

Icky

Reaction score

Or the flashlight sucks

WYRD

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thought this was about someone leaving a steamer in the streamer:hmm

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I get that, just seems like you are putting a lot of faith in a small flashlight right above the waterline. When it is pitch black your depth perception can be off, especially with a single small light and nothing else to judge against.

AND...having a flashlight on the tube makes them legal. even without a weight capacity plate.

Not a lot different than the 'anchor' light on most boats.

From: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule25

Rule 25 - Sailing Vessels Underway and Vessels Under Oars:

(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall [exhibit an all around white light or] have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.Vessel Under Oars.

So...that is what the law is. A Competent Boater should know this. I know this.

As I am legally blind in my right eye, I have no, none, and zero depth perception. I guess I should stop boating. Yeah, like thats gonna happen.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
AND...having a flashlight on the tube makes them legal. even without a weight capacity plate.

(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall [exhibit an all around white light or] have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.Vessel Under Oars.

As I am legally blind in my right eye, I have no, none, and zero depth perception. I guess I should stop boating. Yeah, like thats gonna happen.

Dan'l

Just make sure you wear your lanyard.

Old Texan

Reaction score

I don't know much about that river. But I know a lot about the bodies of water I frequent and all have fishing boats cruising at night. The river we keep our boat on connects the Intercoastal Waterway to Phillips refinery barge docks 15 miles inland. Barges pushed by tugs travel that river through dense river home areas at all hours. Not daily traffic but several times a month. That's what I base my comments on. What the water is shared with....

Point being, it's dangerous to not have sufficient means to make yourself visible at night. One never knows what other boats can or cannot see at night. Several years ago, a business acquaintance was heading home right at dark on Lake Conroe which is just north of Houston. He had 6 people including 2 children on board a 24 foot deck boat. A bass boat was hauling ass towards weigh in of a fishing tournament. Driver was paying more attention to his GPS than to the path ahead. Friend's boat had all it's running lights on but they blended with background lights and oncoming boat never saw him and hit broadside at the helm position. 4 killed on my friend's boat and he spent several monthes in the hospital getting his legs rebuilt.

No alcohol involved, 2 experienced captains and it still happened. No charges were filed yet 4 lives were lost. So to answer your question, my grand kids will never be allowed to float "blind" on a trafficed body of water at night. And they have the common sense to understand why and wouldn't do it anyway. There's plenty of fun, safe things besides floating at night.......;)

Old Texan

Reaction score

Dan'l
Legal doesn't always make it safe.

I don't consider putting myself into situations where I have to rely on others to see me to avoid me. Too many incompetent operators on the water that I will not depend upon for my personal safety. Just makes no sense......;)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Legal doesn't always make it safe.

I don't consider putting myself into situations where I have to rely on others to see me to avoid me. Too many incompetent operators on the water that I will not depend upon for my personal safety. Just makes no sense......;)

Correct. Also legal to not wear a motorcycle helmet in AZ. I'm
all for personal choice, but that is less safe.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Correct. Also legal to not wear a motorcycle helmet in AZ. I'm
all for personal choice, but that is less safe.

TX is the same on helmets. I've noticed common sense has prevailed for the majority of riders. Concrete wins over craniums by a wide margin.:skull

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
My whole problem with it was the size of the group, sure they had 2 little flashlights, but they were pretty spread out, some without tubes and vests just hanging on. These were kids- my oldest is 12, they were about his age and up. This was the time of night the current was about as fast as it gets, so strong too. It was VERY irresponsible of any adults involved imo.
A local kid drowned last August when we were there- strong swimmer, swam out to help a boat and disappeared. This kid grew up there, it was daylight in the afternoon. How much easier can shit go bad in the dark?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
TX is the same on helmets. I've noticed common sense has prevailed for the majority of riders. Concrete wins over craniums by a wide margin.:skull

A cabinet door wins over a cranium walking through the house at 1 mile an hour. :)

Ive never need a law to tell me a helmet is a good idea, but it is a free country to choose, as it should be.

Brian

Old Texan

Reaction score
I mentioned the fatal boat accident on Lake Conroe involving my friend. Well 2 fishing boats collided and another fatality last night. Stopped boat had lights but the moving boat didn't see them. Guess they should have waved a flashlight.:rolleyes

This happened at 9:30 which would have been just after complete sundown. RIP to the boater.

LAKE CONROE, Texas -- Montgomery County officials say a man was killed and a woman and young girl were hurt when two boats collided on Lake Conroe late Tuesday.

It happened shortly before 9:30 p.m.

Dispatchers received a 911 call from a child who reported there had been a crash. Montgomery County Sheriff's Deputies and Firefighters arrived to find a 39-year-old man on a bass boat who was in traumatic arrest. He was later pronounced dead at the scene.

A woman was pulled from the water in critical condition, and a 12-year-old girl on the boat suffered minor injuries.

Photos: Emergency response to deadly boat crash on Lake Conroe

Two other people were in the water from the other boat, but those men were not hurt.

Authorities believe the people in one of the boats were fishing when the other boat slammed into them. One person was given a sobriety test at the scene, but no charges have been announced. The incident remains under investigation.
http://www.khou.com/news/local/man-killed-2-hurt-in-boat-crash-on-lake-conroe/455977174