WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1976 Spectra 20' Jet

johnny79

Reaction score
I bought this boat in 2015, super nice fully restored boat. Guy I bought it from told me it was one of two "Gatorade Spectra's", whatever that means.

I recently melted down the 460 motor due to some bad gas I pumped in at a gas station here in Boulder City, so now looking to possibly move up to something bigger. I thought at first $9k less motor, but maybe that's not realistic in some folks opinions. I see a lot of knowledge on here, so what is realistic? Thanks. IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

78Southwind

Reaction score
My buddy sold his running 73 Spectra that had full stringers for $6,500 a couple years ago. It had a nice 468 Chevy in it but the interior wasn't as nice as yours. It was also paint not original gelcoat.
I thought that was a little low but that's what he got.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of what it looked like when he sold it.
81bae5aa5eb848e46aab8bc7f21ec870.jpg
811834ba6ffb17920e70a6a806973c2f.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If you asked me what your boat is worth not running, I'd tell you not much.

76 Spectra 20' Jets had only 2 stringers and a motor box, if the restoration included transforming that into the much more desirable 4 full stringer boat setup, then it would really depend on the quality and condition of all the other rigging, and to what level it was restored.

I would pay much more for a boat with modern rigging/electrical/controls than something that was just re-gelled, had an interior upgrade and was basically stock.

Your boat does not even have a Place Diverter installed, something that is usually the VERY first thing that gets modified to make these boats run well. That being said, if you want a real, honest opinion of what it's worth, show the level of detail that was involved with the "restoration" and show pictures of EVERYTHING you can. Under deck, under the hatch, as much detail as you can show will change things enormously as far as it's value.

Things like : billet battery boxes, all hoses in SS, additional pressure gauges installed etc make a huge difference in what was done to "restore" it.

Just my 2c. :)

johnny79

Reaction score
If you asked me what your boat is worth not running, I'd tell you not much.

76 Spectra 20' Jets had only 2 stringers and a motor box, if the restoration included transforming that into the much more desirable 4 full stringer boat setup, then it would really depend on the quality and condition of all the other rigging, and to what level it was restored.

I would pay much more for a boat with modern rigging/electrical/controls than something that was just re-gelled, had an interior upgrade and was basically stock.

Your boat does not even have a Place Diverter installed, something that is usually the VERY first thing that gets modified to make these boats run well. That being said, if you want a real, honest opinion of what it's worth, show the level of detail that was involved with the "restoration" and show pictures of EVERYTHING you can. Under deck, under the hatch, as much detail as you can show will change things enormously as far as it's value.

Things like : billet battery boxes, all hoses in SS, additional pressure gauges installed etc make a huge difference in what was done to "restore" it.

Just my 2c. :)

It's not re-gelled, it's original, someone just cared enough to take care of it and not let it rot like the majority of these boats.

It has a hydraulic place diverter, installed after these pics, my bad for not posting the current rear pic.

I have had a 79 Spectra with full stringers, honestly didn't feel anymore solid than this boat, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Spectra's were built pretty solid by Bud Bailey, I have seen two stringer boats with blown motors, maybe their owners were stupid I don't know.

It has the SS hoses, battery boxes, IMCO fuel switch, dual aluminum tanks, remote oil filter setup, etc.... They aren't ever worth what you put in to them I guess.

It was just curiosity, probably just keep it and buy the bigger boat as well.

Thanks for the opinion.

78Southwind

Reaction score
it's definitely a nice boat. I would just keep it if I was you.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It's not re-gelled, it's original, someone just cared enough to take care of it and not let it rot like the majority of these boats.

It has a hydraulic place diverter, installed after these pics, my bad for not posting the current rear pic.

I have had a 79 Spectra with full stringers, honestly didn't feel anymore solid than this boat, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Spectra's were built pretty solid by Bud Bailey, I have seen two stringer boats with blown motors, maybe their owners were stupid I don't know.

It has the SS hoses, battery boxes, IMCO fuel switch, dual aluminum tanks, remote oil filter setup, etc.... They aren't ever worth what you put in to them I guess.

It was just curiosity, probably just keep it and buy the bigger boat as well.

Thanks for the opinion.

I was not slamming your boat at all, like I said, value is in the details. It very well could be worth every penny of the 9k you originally said, but without any of the important information, it's all up to guess work.

Show what you got, and you will get valuable feedback. :thumbsup

johnny79

Reaction score
I was not slamming your boat at all, like I said, value is in the deta IMG_1210.jpg ils. It very well could be worth every penny of the 9k you originally said, but without any of the important information, it's all up to guess work.

Show what you got, and you will get valuable feedback. :thumbsup

No worries, sorry for the shitty response, I appreciate the feed back. Maybe I will get some pictures of the motor compartment and under deck today when I'm out in BC.

Here is a pic of the motor before I did the SS lines. IMG_1210.jpg

These classic old boats are pretty cool, just not worth all the $$$$ ya put in to them on resale.

guest hs

Reaction score
This is a beautiful boat I came real close to buying it before johnny did but the guy was pretty stubborn on the price and would not do a lake demo on it either so I had to pass

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Johnny, I have a BIL interested in your boat, I sent a PM looking for contact numbers.

johnny79

Reaction score
No, decided to build another motor for it this winter and keep it. I love the boat, just frustrated with the motor issues this summer. Thanks

Well after saving enough $$$ to have my motor professionally built i’ve finally got it ready to hit the water. I had it built here in LV by HBR Competition Engines and it made on their dyno 520HP. Really excited to finally be able to use this thing!

Attachments

• 58E3DCA6-97B1-4275-9868-98294D150A7A.jpeg
    58E3DCA6-97B1-4275-9868-98294D150A7A.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 90F817C0-3499-42CC-9756-48750564C8C5.jpeg
    90F817C0-3499-42CC-9756-48750564C8C5.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 281

Quicksilver

Reaction score
That is a nice boat! What are the specs on the motor you had built? I have a Spectra 18 with Ford 460 power, also in the Las Vegas area. We are hoping to do another boat trip with ours this next weekend, we took our first trip of the year last weekend.

johnny79

Reaction score
That is a nice boat! What are the specs on the motor you had built? I have a Spectra 18 with Ford 460 power, also in the Las Vegas area. We are hoping to do another boat trip with ours this next weekend, we took our first trip of the year last weekend.

It’s the 460 block that came with the boat. New SRP forged pistons, comp cam, with new aluminum heads, MSD RTR distributor ignition, Edelbrock performer manifold with 750 quick fuel carb.