WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

***Another 26' Larry Smith Kevlar Scarab for sale***

norcalLmo

Reaction score
***UPDATED PRICING FOR A COOL PROJECT*** $8,500 ON TRAILER***
I've been 'hoarding' boats and it's time to 'thin-the-stock' LOL!!!!! Here's a 1986 Larry Smith Kevlar Scarab for sale - it has 'local' POBRA race history and it's a VERY clean boat that needs a complete motor/drive package to get it back on the water - I'd love to complete it, but no time.

It started it's like on the POBRA circuit as an outboard (huge Evinrude) built and raced by Gene Werner and his wife as the navigator - They raced for 3-4 years then retired from racing and converted the boat to a BBC and Bravo set-up - I pulled the gimbal assembly off and the transom, stringers and floor are absolutely solid!!!! The gimbal had too much 'slop' so this would need replacing. It has the 'old-style' Mercury 380 K-planes, pumps and dash switch, 2-58 gallon saddle tanks and is sitting on an aluminum I-beam tandem trailer. Clean older style upholstery - no rips/tears just dated bucket and rear bench seat -

Definitely a 'diamond-in-the-rough' for a rare Kevlar hull with local race history. Perfect for 20161114_184947.jpg scarab1.jpg scarab3.jpg scarab5.jpg scarab 4.jpg scarab2.jpg scarab6.jpg someone that has a motor, drive and gimbal assembly.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just curious, is the transom still braced to the stringers from the original outboard rigging? Could make for a killer package with 1 or maybe even 2 400's on it.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Yup just waiting it's turn to get some attention LOL!

Joe Grayson

Reaction score
I've been 'hoarding' boats and it's time to 'thin-the-stock' LOL!!!!! Here's a 1986 Larry Smith Kevlar Scarab for sale - it has 'local' POBRA race history and it's a VERY clean boat that needs a complete motor/drive package to get it back on the water - I'd love to complete it, but no time.

It started it's like on the POBRA circuit as an outboard (huge Evinrude) built and raced by Gene Werner and his wife as the navigator - They raced for 3-4 years then retired from racing and converted the boat to a BBC and Bravo set-up - I pulled the gimbal assembly off and the transom, stringers and floor are absolutely solid!!!! The gimbal had too much 'slop' so this would need replacing. It has the 'old-style' Mercury 380 K-planes, pumps and dash switch, 2-58 gallon saddle tanks and is sitting on an aluminum I-beam tandem trailer. Clean older style upholstery - no rips/tears just dated bucket and rear bench seat -

Definitely a 'diamond-in-the-rough' for a rare Kevlar hull with local race history. Perfect for View attachment 543143 View attachment 543145 View attachment 543146 View attachment 543147 View attachment 543148 View attachment 543149 View attachment 543150 someone that has a motor, drive and gimbal assembly.
Would like to purchase

Joe Grayson

Reaction score

Definitely a 'diamond-in-the-rough' for a rare Kevlar hull with local race history. Perfect for View attachment 543143 View attachment 543145 View attachment 543146 View attachment 543147 View attachment 543148 View attachment 543149 View attachment 543150 someone that has a motor, drive and gimbal assembly.
I would like to buy this 26,

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Hey Joe I'm on vaca in Hawaii and cell service sucks up here on the North Shore I'll be closer to town tomorrow and I'll give you a call Thx Larry

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Hey Joe I'm on vaca in Hawaii and cell service sucks up here on the North Shore I'll be closer to town tomorrow and I'll give you a call Thx Larry

norcalLmo

Reaction score
**********$6,500.00************ Come and get it!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

GregG

Reaction score
You always come up with some cool stuff

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I wish I had the mechanical skills to finish that. I would love to have that boat.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Haha Good to hear from you GregG! Got a 'wild hair' and we're putting together Vaughn #3 - I can only do so much without winning the PowerBall LOL! Vaughn #1 was known as 'Blue Heat' before we revived it, Vaughn #2 was '555' running GREAT and Vaughn #3 was '888'. I'll try and get some pics posted soon!

Scoooooooottttt! How's it going!!!! The Velocity is still lookin' good!!!! Are you taking it to Big Cat this year?????

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Thanks. I try to take good care of it. I will be at Windmill Cove watching. I don't know if I will go out anywhere on the water and watch.

Bill Z

Reaction score

Is this still available and how much would it be additional to include overseas shipping?

norcalLmo

Reaction score
??? Pretty tough to answer without more details LOL!

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Hahaha! Gotcha! - you're one of those 'wacker' boat guys LOL! There's a guy in Costa Mesa - Dan of Archer Marine - they are building these hulls again - (*he has about 99% of all the details of every Larry Smith built boat)

The husband wife team that campaigned this boat 'back-in-the-day' did really well with that HUGE Evinrude - throw one of those new Merc 400R's 5-year warranty - WOW!!!!!!!!

item_72296_890.jpeg

GregG

Reaction score
Haha Good to hear from you GregG! Got a 'wild hair' and we're putting together Vaughn #3 - I can only do so much without winning the PowerBall LOL! Vaughn #1 was known as 'Blue Heat' before we revived it, Vaughn #2 was '555' running GREAT and Vaughn #3 was '888'. I'll try and get some pics posted soon!

Is the 888 boat the one that had the Cosworth Merc hanging on it when you bought it? I looked at that one back a ways. There is some detailed testing going on right now with the new Merc V8 300R motor and feedback is good. Hang a 300R on that Vaughn!

GregG

Reaction score
I've been 'hoarding' boats and it's time to 'thin-the-stock'. Here's a 1986 Larry Smith Kevlar Scarab 26 for sale - it has 'local' POBRA race history and it's a VERY clean boat that needs a complete motor/drive package to get it back on the water - I'd love to complete it, but no time. It started on the POBRA circuit as an outboard (huge Evinrude) built and raced by Gene Werner and his wife - They raced for 3-4 years then retired from racing and converted the boat to a BBC and Bravo set-up - I pulled the gimbal assembly off and the transom, stringers and floor are absolutely solid!!!! The gimbal would need replacing. It has the 'old-style' Mercury 380 K-planes, pumps and dash switch, 2-58 gallon saddle tanks and is sitting on an aluminum I-beam tandem trailer. Clean older style upholstery - no rips/tears just dated bucket and rear bench seat -

Definitely a 'diamond-in-the-rough' for a rare Kevlar hull with local race history.

A 400R on your Scarab would be the bomb! Two 58 gallon tanks? Might have spent some time running from the feds back in the day.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Yup the 888 did have the Cosworth. As I understand the history of these boats Vaughn Pickering would use triple digits on his personal boats. The newer 26 Speedster scarab by Archer Marine has 110 belly tank - probably rides a lot better