WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Boaters Card Starting 2018

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Here's one more piece of information that might help during this phase-in period. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriffs, if you're boating on the Colorado River and your boat is registered in Arizona but your personal driver's license is issued by California, you are required by California law to have a California Boater ID card. Boat registration state doesn't count, law enforcement will go by the state that issued you your driver's license.

Maryland has been requiring for about 2 years and their law applies to rentals. The Rental shops will administer the test and get you out on the water same day. I would think the rental companies would want to require this for the safety of their own equipment. I took the Boat US online test prior to heading out there for a vacation. It took awhile but there was some good stuff about buoys that I didn't know. Boat US supplied a certificate that I can show to the CA folks to get my boater card once it is implemented next year.

For all of the talk on RDP about what morons the flat billers, black sockers, lake licers and roll barers are I would think that forcing people to sit down and learn a little bit of education about the world outside of their self obsessed, Coors Light fueled realities would be a welcome and needed change. No agency has said that they would have the power but I don't like the idea of anyone having the ability to revoke a required "license". They HAVE to include rentals. the people with the least experience on the most disruptive craft on the water should have to prove that they can handle the responsibility before taking off from the rental marina at 65 right in front of someone.

No offense meant to anyone who enjoys Coors Light fueled realities...

None taken. :) :D

RD

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Im curious how much they gonna charge for it?

$100 , $500 or $1000 we need the money we need the money....

See previous post about www.Boatus.org
FREE
Plus you will most likely get a discount on your boat insurance if you send them the certificate. I know State Farm will.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Being in possession of a boater education card bring a lifetime of revenue for the state allowing them to write more tickets. The card says you knew better instead of potentially getting educational info and a warning. Had to get one when I moved in to Oregon and hear about way more tickets being handed out than warnings after the mandate

rrrr

Reaction score
Just finished the course online through Boat-Ed.com. Took around 3 hours because it's timed for each chapter so you can't fast forward. Lots of good info for me that I never knew about. Cost $29.50 ( you don't pay till you pass ) and all the paperwork is sent in for you, you can print a 30 day temp. Cert. card till permanent card shows up. Ive taken a lot of online courses with work and I have to say this one was very well put together.

I'll guarantee that the posters who claim to know everything about boating since Noah floated the Ark will also find many things they didn't know.

4Waters

Reaction score
Bump for those that need it. I don't need it until 2023 but a lot of courses are free for now and I am going to get it out of the way now while it's free.

jpf091959

Reaction score
They did something similar in WA State a while back, I went ahead and studied up and took the test, it was easy.
Study up and knock it out, I have to think if you ever had an issue, having the certification will support your position.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If it is like the firearm safety test, let me take it right now.

Singleton

Reaction score
Family friends have a tradition of water skiing on New Year’s Day at the Carlsbad Lagoon.
The lagoon already has a sign, operators under 20 must present Boating ID at office prior to launching if they are going to operate the boat.

TCHB

Reaction score
I spend quite a bit of time on the water it feels like people are doing more things unsafe. I see people going the wrong way up the gorge, boats crossing very close to each other and the guy with a 90mph bow rider flying down the lake full of people. When I work the ramp you seem so many people going out and you wonder how the hell are they going to make it out on the open lake in traffic. Not sure this is right thing but I hope it helps a few including the jet ski crowd.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I took the Boat US test a couple of months ago. I have been boating for over 50 years and thought I knew a lot, there was a lot of information that I didn't know and I am glad I took the class. It took 3 hours (it is timed and you can't fast forward). I just sent my certificate in to the state of CA to get my boaters card, I figured everyone will need it eventually, so might as well just get it done. $10.00 no big deal and good for a lifetime.

I almost forgot, I gave a copy of the card to my insurance company and it got me a $100.00 discount on my boat insurance.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Link? Web address? May as well get it over with

nowski

Reaction score
Here's one more piece of information that might help during this phase-in period. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriffs, if you're boating on the Colorado River and your boat is registered in Arizona but your personal driver's license is issued by California, you are required by California law to have a California Boater ID card. Boat registration state doesn't count, law enforcement will go by the state that issued you your driver's license.
I'm a California resident that boats exclusively on the Colorado River. I received my boater safety card several years ago through the Arizona Game & Fish Dept. Will this card still be valid boating on the Colorado River or will I need to take the California Test to comply???

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I'm a California resident that boats exclusively on the Colorado River. I received my boater safety card several years ago through the Arizona Game & Fish Dept. Will this card still be valid boating on the Colorado River or will I need to take the California Test to comply???

go here http://californiaboatercard.com/ and follow the links and it should list what courses are accepted. I would think you are OK, but will need to send them a copy of it.

707dog

Reaction score
knocking it out a little at a time but almost done... but close to 25 yrs iv been boating i agree thought i knew a lot too. there was some enlightening info during the course so far. my big issue with the whole deal is how can they truly know how old you are unless they stop you jam you up for the card and board your boat then the snowball effect takes place!:mad: wait till the racism cases get going for being stop...remember you heard it first on RD;)

Duffster

Reaction score
Always good to educate new operators but it will be abused. Just another reason to stop you on the water and fuck with your day. I can wait to get the hell out of California.

Reactions: SJP

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I was told at Jack Smith last summer that as an AZ resident with all AZ registration throughout that to launch at JS I’ll have to comply with their shit state laws etc. i have a few years but bet that getting now will be easier and cheaper

Singleton

Reaction score
I was told at Jack Smith last summer that as an AZ resident with all AZ registration throughout that to launch at JS I’ll have to comply with their shit state laws etc. i have a few years but bet that getting now will be easier and cheaper

Read the law, whoever told you that was full of BS. CA non residents can boat in Ca for up to 60 consecutive days without the boating ID.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Read the law, whoever told you that was full of BS. CA non residents can boat in Ca for up to 60 consecutive days without the boating ID.

Yea idk but they said it was to do with launching at their facility. Either way i plan to just for the hopefull insurance rate reduction

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
They made me take the CA test as the MD one wouldn't transfer. No biggie took it and submitted card is on its way. Sucked having to take it twice as the info was all the same but I still had to sit through it all.

The best thing about this is it at least introduces people to the rules of the road. Not that I'm expecting anyone to follow them just the fact that they know they exist and will have a small comprehension as to why I am yelling at them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I recently was approached by an online school to post a link on rdp. They charge 25.00 for the class and we get a 10.00 kick back for every student that goes through the link. The guy made a pretty convincing argument that pretty much everyone in California and other states will have to take an accredited course sooner or later. I’m still kind of on the fence about it. I figured I would take the online course first and see what it’s about before I make a decision.

hallett21

Reaction score
I recently was approached by an online school to post a link on rdp. They charge 25.00 for the class and we get a 10.00 kick back for every student that goes through the link. The guy made a pretty convincing argument that pretty much everyone in California and other states will have to take an accredited course sooner or later. I’m still kind of on the fence about it. I figured I would take the online course first and see what it’s about before I make a decision.

Just a thought. I'd only pay (right now with free options) if you could get me in and out in an hour or less.

If I still have a 3 hr clock to deal with then I'll just go free.

Then again you could probably get a few people paying not knowing any better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just a thought. I'd only pay (right now with free options) if you could get me in and out in an hour or less.

I honestly don’t know enough about it.. if there is free courses available, then obviously it wouldn’t be worth persuing.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

I agree with this. I would have paid to do the CA one after doing the MD one less than a year ago if I only had to take the test and not do the coursework. I think the coursework is important for some though...

Did mine through Boat US

Boat 405

Reaction score
1. It's just a tax.
2. I don't boat in california, and have no interest ever again
3. My boat lives and is registered in AZ
4. Fuck CA
5. See 4.
6. See 5.

Kinda like legalization of pot. I hear there is a 44% percent tax on it. Plus sales tax. So your effective tax on it is over 50%. So keep right on smoking if you like giving over 50% of your money to the government..... LOL Just like the lottery. You can guarantee at least half of every dollar spent on a lottery ticket goes to the government. Win or lose you over 50% goes to the government.

If you don't see the scam in process of the above. I can't help you. Nor do I feel sorry for you.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
In New York all jet ski operators must take boater safety coarse. For boats I'm not sure of the age right off I believe it's something like 14-18 you need it to operate a boat but I believe over 18 with all you need is a standard drivers license.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Where do I get the Carbon Monoxide warning stickers for my boat??

"The law also requires that a set of carbon monoxide warning stickers be placed on the transom and helm of all new and used motorized boats sold in California."

LOL WTF.

I'm taking the free Boat US course now. and saw that.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
1. It's just a tax.
2. I don't boat in california, and have no interest ever again
3. My boat lives and is registered in AZ
4. Fuck CA
5. See 4.
6. See 5.

Kinda like legalization of pot. I hear there is a 44% percent tax on it. Plus sales tax. So your effective tax on it is over 50%. So keep right on smoking if you like giving over 50% of your money to the government..... LOL Just like the lottery. You can guarantee at least half of every dollar spent on a lottery ticket goes to the government. Win or lose you over 50% goes to the government.

If you don't see the scam in process of the above. I can't help you. Nor do I feel sorry for you.

I think I am just going to take my AZ ID on the boat with me instead of my CA DL and avoid this entirely.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Just paid my 10 bucks and uploaded my cert.... Can't wait... Thanks California for helping me to be a better boater.... Lame!

Thank you! Your application, payment, and certificate have been successfully submitted. Once your certificate has been approved by the Division of Boating and Waterways, you will receive a temporary California Boater Card by e-mail. Your temporary card will be valid for 90 days from the issue date. Your official California Boater Card will arrive in the mail within 60 days.

Last edited:

Duffster

Reaction score
Done and out of the way I just completed it through the BoatUS site. Totally time consuming but all common since boating shit if you can’t pass all seven exams on the first try you should not be on the water.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Just got the packets. The fees are waived right now so I'm getting my kids cards before I have to give them $ for one. F-it! It's stupid but may drop our insurance a touch,,,

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Just got the packets. The fees are waived right now so I'm getting my kids cards before I have to give them $ for one. F-it! It's stupid but may drop our insurance a touch,,,

Waived? They gladly took my cash? Are you talking about the test? Or the card?

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Waived? They gladly took my cash? Are you talking about the test? Or the card?

Wife got on the site and said the fees are waived if we sign up by "X" date,,, We got 4 packets in the mail. I could be wrong?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Wife got on the site and said the fees are waived if we sign up by "X" date,,, We got 4 packets in the mail. I could be wrong?

That must be the test? My test were free too... They charged 10 bucks for the State Boat Card. I got cards for everyone in my family.

Timetravel

Reaction score
Nowadays it's easy to get your boater card for any state. At BoatTests101.com it takes about 3 hours to take the course, pass the exam and print your temporary card. The permanent card is then mailed to your address. Good Luck!

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Like most, I think this boaters card is ridiculous. But my parents have a place in Lake Arrowhead where you are required to have a license, and can't take that test, or renew without this stupid boaters card.

So my Wife, Son, and I all need to do it. Any suggestions for 3 people to get it done all at once? Seems like 3 laptops on the free BoatUS site, do it at the same time and all 3 of us done? Any other suggestions for 3 people to get it done at the same time?

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
It's not just California, my sister in Washington has had one for years.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Like most, I think this boaters card is ridiculous. But my parents have a place in Lake Arrowhead where you are required to have a license, and can't take that test, or renew without this stupid boaters card.

So my Wife, Son, and I all need to do it. Any suggestions for 3 people to get it done all at once? Seems like 3 laptops on the free BoatUS site, do it at the same time and all 3 of us done? Any other suggestions for 3 people to get it done at the same time?

Do what you described, that is the fastest way. They time you on each page. mine took about 3 work days to "get through" when I remembered to go to the next page between tasks and meetings.

hallett21

Reaction score
I got mine. Rest of my family didn’t lol. It’s easy. Just painfully slow

Reaction score
so no one is making phoney boater cards, like the phoney vaccine cards ?

I got mine on boatus.com

only the section on navigation symbols, flags and lights was kinda tricky. well unless you boat in Big Blue...

samsah33

Reaction score
Got mine on BoatUS.com as well for free (not including the CA taxes/fees). I don't boat in CA for many reasons, but last summer my 12yo daughter said she wanted to learn how to drive the boat, so I took advantage of the opportunity to take the class with her. As others had mentioned, it's a slow process, but finding something to do at a relaxed pace for 1 or 2 nights each week for a few weeks with my daughter was well worth it.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
based on my experiences in Fort Lauderdale....... the TEST is NOT hard enough.