WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Post a pic of your Off Road toy.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Bill, you should buy the Honda Grab handle for the CT70 that goes under the seat, it's a great way to pick the bike up and it saves the seat pan.
. I’ve seen those and never knew why I would need it, that make a lot of sence. I’m on it, thanks!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
430858BA-4056-4C99-83F2-6FE595D6C98B.jpeg
Here’s ours. 2015 XP1000-4

Reactions: DWC

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I want to like this twice. I'm thinking of going straight to something like this.

Spent our first trip in it over New Years in ocotillo. Couldn’t be happier. I ended up getting the flu and slept like 20 hours one day. The wife jumped in and took the kids out for a ride. She has never driven off-road before. The whole family enjoyed it.

IMG_0228.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Spent our first trip in it over New Years in ocotillo. Couldn’t be happier. I ended up getting the flu and slept like 20 hours one day. The wife jumped in and took the kids out for a ride. She has never driven off-road before. The whole family enjoyed it.

View attachment 611436

That is awesome. Hope you feel better.. I came down with the Flu as well.

What is the ballpark spend for something like that?.. to buy, not to have built (I'm assuming you bought this built from someone).

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
That is awesome. Hope you feel better.. I came down with the Flu as well.

What is the ballpark spend for something like that?.. to buy, not to have built (I'm assuming you bought this built from someone).

There are very few explorers out there so there’s no real pricing on them. the key is finding one of you can. you can find a decent pre runner (ranger, etc) in the 25k range if you look hard enough. Unfortunately there’s a lot of stuff out there that looks pretty but is junk so you’ve gotta have someone who knows what they are looking at look at it. I got lucky with mine and it was a buddy and a right place right time deal.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There are very few explorers out there so there’s no real pricing on them. the key is finding one of you can. you can find a decent pre runner (ranger, etc) in the 25k range if you look hard enough. Unfortunately there’s a lot of stuff out there that looks pretty but is junk so you’ve gotta have someone who knows what they are looking at look at it. I got lucky with mine and it was a buddy and a right place right time deal.

Thanks, that is what I have seen. Yea, separating the good stuff from the junk is definitely key, and finding something to fit a party of 4 makes it even harder.

My neighbor in Havasu has a Quad Cab Dakota that seems to work well. I just want something with room for 4 people. That Explorer is really unique, congrats!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I have seen. Yea, separating the good stuff from the junk is definitely key, and finding something to fit a party of 4 makes it even harder.

My neighbor in Havasu has a Quad Cab Dakota that seems to work well. I just want something with room for 4 people. That Explorer is really unique, congrats!

I’ve seen a few well built Ford sport-trac’s. I’d totally do one

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few well built Ford sport-trac’s. I’d totally do one

I’ve seen a couple as well. I think I’m going to dip my toe in and buy a Rhino to see how into it the family is. If they are really into it I’ll get a truck in a couple years.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Love some DD buggies! Had a buddy with one just like that, was super reliable. Also diggin the dirty life wheels!
Yea.... well that’s actually just a sticker lol i likes the sticker because it matched the wheels. But the wheels are Method’s dirty life doesn’t do 5/205 yet

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Yea.... well that’s actually just a sticker lol i likes the sticker because it matched the wheels. But the wheels are Method’s dirty life doesn’t do 5/205 yet

Haha, I thought those were the dirty life road kills! Hadn’t seen them in anything wide 5, but since they’re methods...digging the methods lol.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
The car that brought the moniker that is now my screen name.
Scratch built from a stack of tubing.
Fromthefront640x480_zps3bbe3102.jpg

My favorite angle.JPG

Current ride.
Not nearly as fun or as fast, but better than sitting at home.
Rzr on beach.jpg

If I could find the red car I would be tempted to buy it back, but I couldn't drive it. that is why I sold it in the first place. Better just as good memories I guess.

SuperJet

Reaction score
Finally got to use mine. We spent the week between Christmas and new years in glamis. I had little expectation of the car surviving the trip, considering I got it running and test driven a week before we left. And not knowing if the trans was any good. Much to my surprise I pulled it off the trailer and went for a shakedown run just outside of camp, and much to my surprise the car has a close ratio gear stack and gobs of power.
IMG_8264.JPG

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The car that brought the moniker that is now my screen name.
Scratch built from a stack of tubing.
View attachment 620118
View attachment 620120

Current ride.
Not nearly as fun or as fast, but better than sitting at home.
View attachment 620122
If I could find the red car I would be tempted to buy it back, but I couldn't drive it. that is why I sold it in the first place. Better just as good memories I guess.
Any more pics of the red car?
It's not often you see a mid engine v8 rail, but I'm having a hard time deciphering what's going on with the trans? Olds/Caddy fwd deal?

RaceTec

Reaction score
Any more pics of the red car?
It's not often you see a mid engine v8 rail, but I'm having a hard time deciphering what's going on with the trans? Olds/Caddy fwd deal?
Looks to me like a Toronado transaxle?? I am curious too?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Yes on the transaxle. Good eye. Best friend owned a transmission shop for 3 years and we came up with this in the late 80s. This was the last, and to my way of thinking the best and purtiest of the lot. GM TH 325 built from 89 til 91. GM told him they would only hold 200 HP. He did some very serious mods and we got them to hold over 800. This car, at 647 on the dyno, engine only... seemed the perfect combo.
The N02 kit loaded the water brake so hard we couldnt get a clean read and I never pushed the button in the sand.
It was fast enough to kill ya without it.
368 inches 634 HP.JPG

Business end.JPG
Ready for a new home.JPG
t39_1.jpg

I kid you not. Tugs at my heart to see it. Can't find the photo right now but look closely at the floors near the seats. There are over 400 3/16 holes drilled in the brushed stainless, they are all lightly touched with a 1/14 bit. Went through about 25 bits and 3 days...palm tree and beach scenes...
Took me 3 weeks to build the floors. Look at the water manifold....2 weeks on that, had a buddy TIG it up...look at the trans case. I polished that sucker while home with a broken leg, had my cast in a hefty bag sitting on a stool in the shop, with a dremel doing the small stuff.
It sounded amaing at about 7 grand going up Sand Mountain. The launch...well it weighed 1560 with about a gallon of fuel in it. You can imagine the launch. If I did it right it would pull the front wheel to where they were just touching the sand, barely able to steer, and just...go...
I poured my everything into that car. It turned heads everywhere...

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
A124479A-0C7A-47FB-A2FD-590D59F1E9C3.jpeg

So I ended up starting off inexpensively to see if the family liked off roading so I got a Rhino. My wife drove it and loves it, so I guess upgrading to something else will be easy. She actually wants one for herself now LOL.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Looks to me like a Toronado transaxle?? I am curious too?
Yes on the transaxle. Good eye. Best friend owned a transmission shop for 3 years and we came up with this in the late 80s. This was the last, and to my way of thinking the best and purtiest of the lot. GM TH 325 built from 89 til 91. GM told him they would only hold 200 HP. He did some very serious mods and we got them to hold over 800. This car, at 647 on the dyno, engine only... seemed the perfect combo.
The N02 kit loaded the water brake so hard we couldnt get a clean read and I never pushed the button in the sand.
It was fast enough to kill ya without it.
View attachment 620631
View attachment 620632 View attachment 620634 View attachment 620635

I kid you not. Tugs at my heart to see it. Can't find the photo right now but look closely at the floors near the seats. There are over 400 3/16 holes drilled in the brushed stainless, they are all lightly touched with a 1/14 bit. Went through about 25 bits and 3 days...palm tree and beach scenes...
Took me 3 weeks to build the floors. Look at the water manifold....2 weeks on that, had a buddy TIG it up...look at the trans case. I polished that sucker while home with a broken leg, had my cast in a hefty bag sitting on a stool in the shop, with a dremel doing the small stuff.
It sounded amaing at about 7 grand going up Sand Mountain. The launch...well it weighed 1560 with about a gallon of fuel in it. You can imagine the launch. If I did it right it would pull the front wheel to where they were just touching the sand, barely able to steer, and just...go...
I poured my everything into that car. It turned heads everywhere...
So bitchen how fast ?

randyjet

Reaction score
My razor 1000 have 34s for the mountains and these 34s for the mud running. We have a lot of deep mud running in East Texas.

Attachments

• 20170806_195414.jpg
    20170806_195414.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 20170806_195427.jpg
    20170806_195427.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 227
  • 20170806_195502.jpg
    20170806_195502.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 261

Hallett285

Reaction score
2016 rzr xp4 1000
Lot-o-fun with this one
Resized_20171008_115209.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

yz450mm

Reaction score
Chase 1 and 1018Race out for a quick test session.
20180616_175809.jpeg
20180616_161011.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
IMG_0655.JPG Kind of deceiving , it is an 02 Navigator on 46" tires. Built for mud bogging with family. Relegated to scaring neighbors now. 406 sbc with Dart heads, 2 1/2 ton Rockwells. and leather interior...still has power everything. About a 25-28" lift over stock. Debated hooking ac back up and using it as a launch vehicle!
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG

jesco

Reaction score
What notable differences in the two?
What are your opinions on both cars? The can am 4 seat is a lot bigger than the rzr 4 seat, what pros/cons to each?

Size obviously is the first thing, there is so much more room in these over a RZR. Im 6'4" 250lbs and I don't feel crammed in this like I did in a RZR. Even with the front seats all the way back, an adult can sit behind them no problem. I haven't had it in the dirt yet, but driving around the neighborhood, this thing has WAY MORE power than my '15 non turbo RZR. Im hoping to get it in the dirt end of the month, I will report back after that.

warlock250

Reaction score
I love my Can Am Max X3. By far the most fun you can buy. Great car for the Dunes and trail. I made mine into a 5 seater so all my girls can ride along if needed. Had Gary Fries st UTVSHOCKS do my suspension and it works great. Just did a bad ass JL system and I'm loving the car.
20180324_105340.jpeg
20180316_182727.jpeg
20180303_173314.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
So what I’m thinking is to buy a rzr 1000k4 and take out the back seats for storage, it’s usua just the wife and I. I want to do some longer multi day trips. A buddy did Yuma to Havasu and back to Yuma and had a blast! I think the can am is just way to big, BUT I really like the way your looks! Did you have to do all the stuff to it like the rzr cage, seats? I think if I went can am I’m going to have a really tight fit in my garage it looks bigger than my LJ jeep.

This looks SWEET, what size tires are you running? I just saw some 34’s the other day...
71D61527-E9EE-4FB4-A233-59BC40F132CD.png

warlock250

Reaction score
So what I’m thinking is to buy a rzr 1000k4 and take out the back seats for storage, it’s usua just the wife and I. I want to do some longer multi day trips. A buddy did Yuma to Havasu and back to Yuma and had a blast! I think the can am is just way to big, BUT I really like the way your looks! Did you have to do all the stuff to it like the rzr cage, seats? I think if I went can am I’m going to have a really tight fit in my garage it looks bigger than my LJ jeep.

This looks SWEET, what size tires are you running? I just saw some 34’s the other day...
View attachment 682680
I like the stock cage so I left it alone. The Tires are 35" Tensors.
It fits snug in my toy hauler garage 14' with the big 35s. It's just right. If your on super tight trails it might be a little tougher . But as far as comfort goes inside ergonomics are great. Suspension works frickin awesome.

Reactions: DLC

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I love my Can Am Max X3. By far the most fun you can buy. Great car for the Dunes and trail. I made mine into a 5 seater so all my girls can ride along if needed. Had Gary Fries st UTVSHOCKS do my suspension and it works great. Just did a bad ass JL system and I'm loving the car. View attachment 682621 View attachment 682623 View attachment 682626

I got the 2018 x3 I was just up for a ride with wifey ( looking for a camp spot ) and noticed that some of the trails up by duck creek our x3 won’t fit between the posts ?

Reactions: DWC

jesco

Reaction score

View attachment 682680
FWIW, the RZR that was released today has the same track width as the CanAm, but CanAm has 18" more wheelbase and is 14" overall longer.... RZR new price point is higher than CanAm by $500/$600... I think CanAm needs less "added" options. CanAm cage is nicer looking (RZR is fricken ugly and the first thing I replaced on both my RZRs), seats are nicer, and comes with really nice 4 point harnesses. We do a run from Ehrenburg to Yuma every year. Last year we had 2 CanAms and about 20 RZRs, the trails get fairly narrow in some spots down by Yuma, CanAms had ZERO issues. Dont let the pics online fool you, they really aren't that much bigger.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I like the stock cage so I left it alone. The Tires are 35" Tensors.
It fits snug in my toy hauler garage 14' with the big 35s. It's just right. If your on super tight trails it might be a little tougher . But as far as comfort goes inside ergonomics are great. Suspension works frickin awesome.

Do you have any pics of the rear bench?

I’m 6’6” myself and really looking at getting out of my RZR in exchange for an X3 Max, but need a bench in the back for my kiddos.

I was shocked at the price points for the 2018 x3’s. X3 max 172hp for 23.9. When they came out weren’t they up over 30 just to get in the door?