WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RPM Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
According to Facebook (take it for what its worth) RPM is having some trouble. Post copied and pasted below.

"Hey all, just letting everyone know we are no longer building the RPM outboard boat. This is a result of extremely poor communication and customer service. Leading us to have no confidence the boat would be completed as promised. Since requesting our money back we have been cussed at and hung up on. I would strongly caution anyone considering doing business with RPM. We are now the 2nd customer in a row to ask for their money back. We are now taking necessary steps to collect our cash deposit."

Englewood

Reaction score
Hopefully there is more to this story. I was hoping they would become a player again.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this boat. They were doing a super light layup on the 26, outfitting it with twin 400's. Hopefully someone steps up and finishes it.

Joe responded to the thread too. Obviously there are always going to be 2 sides to the story.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this boat. They were doing a super light layup on the 26, outfitting it with twin 400's. Hopefully someone steps up and finishes it.

Joe responded to the thread too. Obviously there are always going to be 2 sides to the story.

With the truth probably being somewhere in between

NicPaus

Reaction score
With the truth probably being somewhere in between
Either way his brand RPM will be tarnished unless he responds with a reason why. If He does have a solid reason he can sue for damages. Was that you that PMd him hopefully he responds.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
3 sides to every story (I dont claim to know any of these regarding this issue - not involved)

We would have loved to have built that boat for RPM/Joe, but couldn't come together on a couple issues, deadline (especially for the first one) being one.

The light stuff, having just completed a race boat, is tricky... the devil is in those details.

UD

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Either way his brand RPM will be tarnished unless he responds with a reason why. If He does have a solid reason he can sue for damages. Was that you that PMd him hopefully he responds.

It was, he told me call him but I don't have time right now to sit on the phone. I can surf RDP and Facebook while still getting work done, can't sit on a phone call and multi-task.

NicPaus

Reaction score
They should have a Mediator help them out. If he is willing to talk to you probably not much to hide.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
They should have a Mediator help them out. If he is willing to talk to you probably not much to hide.
Joe sent me a message. Sounds like he said she said from both sides. Hope it works out for all parties involved.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Joe Malich response

"We emailed you a purchase order back on November 10th. 12 days later you gave us a $10,000 deposit and said once you sold your boat you would also put that $45,000 towards the build and finance the balance. We worked pricing with you so you could start the build while closing on your house. On December 31st, you texted me saying, “is there any way you can reach out to Steve and get him to start layup this week? Let him know we can pay him on Thursday(January 4th).” After getting him to start the layup on the boat you didn’t pay until January 9th (5 Days late) $17,500 which was less than agreed on. The original purchase order that you received had the hull number on it as well as the following purchase order that you signed on January 9th when you gave us $17,500 out of the $45,000. When I asked you where the rest of the down payment was you told me that you had to wait for a cashiers check to clear. There was nothing said about waiting for your house to close. At this point you were 100% happy and sharing pictures of the boat all over your social media stating that this boat was a new member of your family. The 830 at night text was me looking for the $ you said you would have. You came to the show with all your buddies to show them your new boat and when I text you and asked you if you left you said you had. 20 minutes later I see you in the host hotel for the show 50 yards away. (Once again you were 100% happy)Then I was told I would have a check that weekend when your house closed. (January 20th) we were also supposed to go over the build at this time. (Your idea via text) we then heard from you on Feb 6th asking for a purchase order for the bank. You got one and said you would call tomorrow. I Did not hear from you till the email you sent on Feb 15th asking for your money back."

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The original poster also updated his post to add more information from "his side," rough deal all around.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
OP has responded -

"Well at least we got his attention and he can learn you can't treat people like this. Sides of the story are funny. I expressed my concerns of the communication and was considering cancelling the deal 1 week prior to boat show and was simply asked "not to go posting on fb". I received a text at 830pm thurs of boat show asking if I was there. No i was next door having dinner. The text stating he had a check for 20k that was going to bounce if I did not give him money. With being in 27.5 grand cash for a bare hull with no tanks, stringers, transom how could 20k possibly be owed? Still trying to help Joe I offered 6k that night and he didn't even have the decency to respond. From there I waited nearly 4 weeks for a hull number so I can process bank loan. Calling him, texting his daughter. Spoke to joe once and he said he would get it the following week. We have also requested a build sheet multiple times with a detailed parts list. When spending 168k on something isn't it fair to want to know the brand of motor mounts. This was never provided. After all this we had no confidence in moving forward. We have made every effort to end this peacefully and told him I'd like to see him learn ans grow from this and the RPM brand be successful. However Joe has only cussed at me, hung up on me when I questioned his operating illegally without a license in CA, and refused a return on our 27.5. Those are the facts kids. A good businessman would have done the right thing".

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
As I’ve said before , Hallett used to request a 5k deposit , they didn’t cash the check until they were ready to begin build . When your que came up , you received a phone to confirm , the check was cashed and you paid balance when you picked up boat . It was that simple and it worked . I’d be very wary if I perceived my money was paying for the last build .

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I haven't talked to the guy building the boat.. But it sounds to me like he put down some cash on a build, the hull was built, and then backed out of the build?

Boat builders (especially small ones) have contracts that are fairly plain language for that very reason. At the end of the day one of the parties didn't honor the contract which is why the build went sideways.

RD

Icky

Reaction score
Pics of said boat? Maybe we can find a buyer in this thread :D

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Pics of said boat? Maybe we can find a buyer in this thread :D
It was the outboard boat that RD had referenced in the video from the boat show. Light layup, clean gel. Should be a good boat!

hallett3

Reaction score
I was always told go with top builders like Howard, Hallett, Nordic and eliminator. It seems like you always hear bad stories come out of small boat builders. My son bought a new Howard deck boat 2 years ago and gene always kept his promise from build to checks written.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It was the outboard boat that RD had referenced in the video from the boat show. Light layup, clean gel. Should be a good boat!

That layup is extremely expensive, and not for the normal customer. The boat was being built to be an ultra light outboard boat. You go ordering something like that and it's yours once they start building it.

I'm not sure what went bad on this deal, but I can tell you if he hasn't finished paying for the hull yet then he needs to do that before anything else happens. If he has finished paying for the hull, then typically the contract would offer an exit clause stating that the mfg can sell the hull / or the build to another party, but any losses incurred would be on the buyer not the mfg.

I haven't seen the contract or know the whole story, but I'm sad to see it happen.. I like Joe quite a bit, and I think he is going to end up building a really nice product. These speed bumps along the way are going to delaying that process.

RD

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
That layup is extremely expensive, and not for the normal customer. The boat was being built to be an ultra light outboard boat. You go ordering something like that and it's yours once they start building it.

I'm not sure what went bad on this deal, but I can tell you if he hasn't finished paying for the hull yet then he needs to do that before anything else happens. If he has finished paying for the hull, then typically the contract would offer an exit clause stating that the mfg can sell the hull / or the build to another party, but any losses incurred would be on the buyer not the mfg.

I haven't seen the contract or know the whole story, but I'm sad to see it happen.. I like Joe quite a bit, and I think he is going to end up building a really nice product. These speed bumps along the way are going to delaying that process.

RD

Joe had mentioned on Facebook that the original buyer would not receive his refund until the hull sells to another buyer, is that an exit clause?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Joe had mentioned on Facebook that the original buyer would not receive his refund until the hull sells to another buyer, is that an exit clause?

That's probably what is written in the contract for the build and would be what protects the manufacturer.

RD

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
gpx10h.jpg

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
When I ordered my 28’ Daytona from Joe who now is building the RPM’s the contract was fairly simple. I was to pay for the boat with a deposit, then another payment at a specific time and the balance upon completion. The same with my Howard I built last year of three equal payments. One at the start, one when the drive and engine were due to go in, and final payment upon completion. I had no issues with either build and the outcome.

I spoke to Joe on the phone and he explained his side to me and based on what he told me and what I read on the internet I’d say Joe is telling the truth....... I understand the buyer wants an itemized receipt for every part that is going into the boat which I feel is excessive, but I wouldn’t order a boat from someone I didn’t trust. I had no issues with Joe and my eliminator build. Pier 57 and their “5hr” Ilmor’s and drives is a different story...... But I trust Joe and believe he try’s to do the right thing in business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
RPM is just getting going and the first builds are gonna be key for them. They have a bitchen product and they were a star at the show. Their craftsmanship is impressive. You don't build DCM levels of quality without cash. If you cannot afford to pay that cash you shouldn't engage a builder to start for you. Their boats were insane. There is no doubt that they know how to build a boat.

Sounds like buyer had a cash delay, builder needed that cash to pay for a check he wrote. Such is life. Hopefully both parties can get together and find an outcome that is satisfactory and keep this off of social media. If not someone is going to come up on someone else's misfortune. Also life.

boatpi

Reaction score
Where are they located at? In Washington or AL?

boatpi

Reaction score
IF they are in AL. They are NOT licensed under this name;
REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE MARINE

MIC: GVG Status: Inactive
Company: REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE MARINE Company Official: TRIPP, STEVE
Parent Company:
Parent MIC:
Previous Company 1: REVOLUTION PERFORMARINE INC
Previous Company 2:

Previous Company 3:

Previous Company 4:

Address: 3130 HIGHWAY 280 City: HARPERSVILLE
State: AL Zip: 35078
Phone: 2056728763
Fax: 2056728764 In Business: 12/27/2004
Out of Business: 3/30/2016 Date Modified: 4/7/2017
Type: Inboards, Cabin Cruisers

Addtional Address:

boatpi

Reaction score
Looks like he bought out RPM in AL, now:
MIC: BSL Status: In Business
Company: BOAT SHOP NORTHWEST Company Official: MALICH, JOE
Parent Company: GRANDVIEW MOTORS INC Parent MIC:
Previous Company 1:

Previous Company 2:

Previous Company 3:

Previous Company 4: BISHOP BOAT WORKS (OOB)
Address: 3123 56TH ST NW STE 16 City: GIG HARBOR
State: WA Zip: 98335
Fax:
In Business: 3/17/2017
Out of Business: NULL Date Modified: 4/7/2017
Type: Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Inboard/Outboard, Sterndrive, Inboard/Outdrive
Addtional Address: FACTORY ADDRESS: 2085 WEST 11TH UPLAND CA 91786

And the Upland address is also GT Performance I believe??

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
RPM Joe is not a nobody, I believe he already owns a boat business in the northwest. I don't think cash is the issue. Just sayin.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I just went through a new build also and there was a down payment made in installments. There was a fairly explicit contract that says how much was due and when.

My down payment was $50,000 paid in two installments at specified completion points with balance due on completion of build. (I paid for some other stuff too myself otherwise it would have been different)

We discussed this at length beforehand about when the funds were due specifically and how much and that was specifically written into the contract. There was no ambiguity. We agreed to terms as written so I was happy with the arrangement.

If I did not make the payments as specified I would be in breach of contract. Plain and simple.

My builder of course upheld his part of the deal then so did I.

I don't know what the terms of their deal at RPM but if the buyer failed to perform then he is in breach.

Incidentally my friend and I just recently inquired with some of the top name builders and all of them require a some kind of installment agreement. Just FYI.

Contracts exist for a reason. If you choose to be in breach of one then damages you will pay.

Last edited:

rpmsrup

Reaction score
My buddy andrew is the one having the boat built. it has nothing to do with money at all it has all to do with customer service or the lack there of. if joe would have done what he said he would have then there would be no problem

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
My buddy andrew is the one having the boat built. it has nothing to do with money at all it has all to do with customer service or the lack there of. if joe would have done what he said he would have then there would be no problem

From the perspective a disinterested third party, it seems like the reality of this situation is that Joe may not have been the easiest to work with and that the buyer didn't pony up funds when it was time. Blame can be placed on both parties. Just sucks it escalated to a social media flame war.

rpmsrup

Reaction score
The money that was agreed apon to finish the hull for the boat show was ponied up, hull wasnt finished then was asked for money at the show on thursday night. ive read all the txt messages back and forth between the both of them, Joe didnt have enough money to clear the check he wrote that night to the laminators for what was sitting there unfinished and wrong. Joe seems to be a nice guy, just sucks that a cool boat isnt going to get finished now.

Carrera205

Reaction score
From the locked thread it looks like the buyer agreed to front an amount, the builder counted on that amount, the buyer delivered a fraction of the agreed amount. Then the builder wanted/ more money closer to the agreed amount (45k) and the buyer couldn't or wouldn't deliver and then the builder couldn't start. Then the buyer wanted a refund and then went to facebook to air the dirty socks. That's a new name to come around he probably doesn't have tons of capital to throw out and counted on that fronted money. The buyer knew he wasn't a huge name and should of delivered the agreed amount. But who knows. It looked like the buyer was selling a boat and refinancing a house or something to get the funds. Just a messy situation.

Last edited:

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Contracts... people only want to read the whole thing once there’s a dispute :D

Then there’s the “verbal agreement” :rolleyes:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The money that was agreed apon to finish the hull for the boat show was ponied up, hull wasnt finished then was asked for money at the show on thursday night. ive read all the txt messages back and forth between the both of them, Joe didnt have enough money to clear the check he wrote that night to the laminators for what was sitting there unfinished and wrong. Joe seems to be a nice guy, just sucks that a cool boat isnt going to get finished now.
Sounds like it will get finished just won’t be your buddies?

rpmsrup

Reaction score
No contract just a receipt for the down payment. nothing on there stating what the boat even comes with

Status
Not open for further replies.