WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

'73 Sanger Flat - Another Winter Restoration Thread

cofooter

Reaction score
Thought I'd post up some pics of my restoration. This is the boat back in the day - not the exact same boat and it did not come with the hotties.

index.jpg

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
IMAG0959.jpg
I got it from a guy up in Havasu a few years back. The hull was in rough shape cosmetically but it was cheap and came with a bunch of bitchen parts so I bought it without looking at it. Also, picked up the BBF for a few hundred more. Here is the boat, it was last known as Pud Pounder, and fairly well known on the strip in its day so I hear.
IMG_0061.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
It sat in my garage in Parker for a few years before I got a chance to work on it. I did work on the trailer to get it road ready for the eventual trip back to Colorado.

IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
Fast forward to January. I had found some delamination in the floors on one side. I cut away some glass and discovered wet plywood. There was a crack in the glass where the gunnel support was allowing water to get into the stringer glass and migrate down to the floors. So I built a cradle and started digging out floors.

IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
There was about 6ft of damaged plywood and some dryrot on the stringer. . I dug out 8ft of floors for replacement, the remaining floor in the bow looked brand new.
IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
This weekend I scored a piece of clear VG doug fir, planed it down to 1 1/4" and made a stringer. That stuff is like gold. Also got floor covered with on layer of 1708 biax cloth and epoxy.

I will post up more pics as I make progress.
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG

Last edited:

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Lotsa work! I have a feeling this thing is going to come out nice!

Thanks for sharing the journey...

cofooter

Reaction score
Been slowly picking up needed parts over the past two years when I see a good deal. Found a guy on-line that was selling parts and it turned out he was in the next town over here in Colorado. Lucked out and scored a smokin' deal on this stuff!
IMG_1840.JPG

Still need some other odds and ends, mostly cav plate hardware like down pedal, lock out handle, linkage and 5 pillow blocks if anyone know anyone selling.......

Last edited:

Marine Industries West

Reaction score
I've got this finish line locker handle that could use a new home. $100.00

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 509

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Just for my own edification, what are the numbers stamped into the handle ?

Just wondering what year it was made ..........

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
Got the stringer scribed, cut to final height and glued in last night. Hope to get it wrapped this weekend and then start on the other side.
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Just for my own edification, what are the numbers stamped into it ?

Just wondering what year it was made ..........

M34772. My understanding is Medium Layup, #347 of 1972. Is that correct?

poncho

Reaction score
M34772. My understanding is Medium Layup, #347 of 1972. Is that correct?
Cofooter, these are my favorite threads next to the call out ones:p
Your doing nice work.

AZGeo is Finish Line

cofooter

Reaction score
Some more progress this weekend. Got the stringer wrapped and another layer of cloth on the floors. Last pic is in the process of putting a carbon fiber cap on the stringer. Done with this side for now. Next, I'll start the other side. Floors and stringer look real good. I'm going to remove the glass on the stringer anyway to plug holes and fix the dents from the stringer washers, and grind off a layer of resin/glass on the floors, and then re-wrap the whole side.

IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG
View attachment 622316

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
Took last weekend off to go to the Needles boat show and get some inspiration. Saw some beautiful boats and hardware there. Last night I crossed my fingers and unwrapped the second stringer. It was in near perfect shape. No signs of moisture coming up from the floors. Glass was stuck good everywhere except near the engine rail. Will do some grinding on the floors and get it re-wrapped this weekend.
IMG_1918.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Well............. had a setback this weekend. Found a section of floor that was questionable. I cut out a section of glass to look and it was stuck good, but the plywood had been wet at some point. so I peeled the glass off all the way up to the bulkhead. You can see the damaged section and all good plywood forward. I thought about patching just that bad section, but decided to put in all new plywood so I sawed off the stringer.
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Plywood was stuck super good, even in the damaged section, but managed to get most of it chipped off yesterday afternoon. I've got a little more chipping and clean-up to do and then I'll grind whats left to bare glass and bond in the new plywood.

IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_1928.JPG

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Damn! That's a lotta work you got goin on! I'd rather be in front of the TV than pounding my pud. o_O

cofooter

Reaction score
Just about ready for new wood. There were several large voids or airpockets on this side where plywood/mat did not quite meet. I'll fill those flush before bonding in the new floor. Also, got my materials. I'm fortunate in that my neighbor is a cabinet maker and he's got a guy. I just tell him what I want and it shows up in my garage the next day for way cheaper than I could buy it retail. Now waiting on cabosil.........
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Been busy at work and have not gotten a whole lot done but did get the floor and stringer in. Feels good to be done with the demo and on to re-building.

IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Covered the floor with pigmented epoxy, sanded, then laid on some fake wood. I used a printed polyester veil in a Cherry pattern. The last picture is not very good and it looks washed out because there is a layer of peel ply over it but you can see a sliver of the final color next to the stringer. I think its gonna look bitchen. Next I'll do the other side, lay a strip of carbon fiber down the middle and I'll be ready to flip it and work on the bottom.

IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Made a little more progress. Laid the "wood" in on side two, then ground out the center and laid in some carbon fiber. I decided to completely finish the inside before I flip it so next is four coats of epoxy on everything on the inside, sand, and install bulkhead/supports
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Having owned a 71 Sanger I've been following this thread with great nostalgia LOL . Too bad it's in Colorado. I'd like to know more about that printed veil. Tried searching it but can't find any that are printed. Incredible workmanship and persistence!

cofooter

Reaction score
Having owned a 71 Sanger I've been following this thread with great nostalgia LOL . Too bad it's in Colorado. I'd like to know more about that printed veil. Tried searching it but can't find any that are printed. Incredible workmanship and persistence!

Thank you, sir. I really am enjoying this project. Check out Stealthveils.com. I saw someone else do it on a restoration and really liked the look of it and it was a fraction of the price of veneers.

lenmann

Reaction score
Looking great! How are you planning to handle the transition from carbon to wood?

cofooter

Reaction score
Looking great! How are you planning to handle the transition from carbon to wood?
Thank you. I ground it down so the CF would be at the same level as the "wood". That gap will fill with resin and I'll sand and paint in a ford blue racing stripe about 3/4" wide on each side. I will also put the stripes on the stringer where it transition to the "wood".

cofooter

Reaction score
Not much progress this weekend, still too cool to roll epoxy, have to wait for it to warm up a bit or rent a bigger heater. Did manage to get the supports and toe kicks roughed out.
IMG_1997-1.JPG

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Do you get stress cracks at those deck props on the gunnels? When I had my boat painted the painter went in there with a Sawzall and cut them out. The stress cracks never came back.

cofooter

Reaction score
I found out the reason they cracked. Most of the support was isolated from the actual glass, but there was one particular area on each side where they contacted glass directly (the area where the deck changed shape if that makes sense) creating a hard spot. I added clearance there on the new ones. Also I am going to go in when I flip it over and reinforce a few area on the inside of the deck where the tabbing attaches.

cofooter

Reaction score
Finally had a few back to back 80 degree days in Colorado so was able to lay down epoxy. Put down four coats on the stringers and floors. Also, had some carbon fiber left over so I blinged out the toe kick and supports. Now I'll spend the next few weeks sanding a good portion of that epoxy off to make it super smoooooth and prep for clear.

IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Got started on the new seating as well. Going to go with the back to back old school four seater. The new seats I'm building as one piece vs the two pieces it originally came with but exact same layout.
IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG

lenmann

Reaction score
Damn
Finally had a few back to back 80 degree days in Colorado so was able to lay down epoxy. Put down four coats on the stringers and floors. Also, had some carbon fiber left over so I blinged out the toe kick and supports. Now I'll spend the next few weeks sanding a good portion of that epoxy off to make it super smoooooth and prep for clear.

View attachment 646959 View attachment 646960 View attachment 646961

Damn that looks good, well done sir!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Wow looks really good.
If I may make a suggestion, if dog house on the seat is not glued in already, you'll make it easier on the trimmer if it's A Separate Piece.

cofooter

Reaction score
Wow looks really good.
If I may make a suggestion, if dog house on the seat is not glued in already, you'll make it easier on the trimmer if it's A Separate Piece.

It is actually a structural component along with the one on the back seat. The whole center section of plywood will be cut out when it is finished to provide clearance for the v-drive and driveline guard. I need to epoxy it down with screws and braces.

cofooter

Reaction score
Great thread!

I see you're looking for a v-drive. There is not a lot of resources around on this type of work. I myself searched through tons of forums looking for any bit of advice I could find and talked to a lot of people. Hopefully this thread will help or inspire somebody else to do the same thing!

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
I see you're looking for a v-drive. There is not a lot of resources around on this type of work. I myself searched through tons of forums looking for any bit of advice I could find and talked to a lot of people. Hopefully this thread will help or inspire somebody else to do the same thing!

Thanks. I'm still learning what all the parts of the rigging are called, and why they're designed the way they are.