WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Year's End SCE Bill After My Palomar Solar Install

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
sce1.JPG
sce2.JPG

Really happy with my Palomar installed system. Looking to get my check for Net Surplus Compensation rather than rolling it over. Can't seem to find the answer on SCE's website. Will they automatically issue me a check? Waiting for SCE to open to call.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
In AZ we don't get the credit it gets wiped out every October.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I don’t think you get the full amount... we had the same credit and my wife called and it was pennies on the dollar if anything.

We have been stoked with our solar from Andy!

BasilHayden

Reaction score
You will get the 92 bucks, thats already been hammered down to the pennies, they are paying the 3 cents per kw, we need to lower your thermostat! Haha, glad its working for you, so many people literally use double the power after solar is installed and then wonder why their bill is high.

My early conversations always go something like this, "Are you living the way you want, or running around the house chasing light switches and thermostats. Its cheap to add a few more panels now, but not later. I usually try to get folks to 115% of current usage unless they insist they are using power freely.

Hope to see you as DS this year.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
So what about my $72 of Climate Credit? What is the $179.80 credit I see?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Don't forget too claim that as income on your taxes.(yes you are required too) if it is over 600 they will need a w9 for you so they can 1099 you. Btw that means you can not just d9. 1040. Honestly for less then $100 it is not worth the addional tax documentation... Just my $.02.

There are 2 types of people that say they pay all their taxes. Liars and fools, which one are You?

BasilHayden

Reaction score
The climate credit is a separate item, no idea when they give it to you as they normally credit it against your amount due, instead they owe you so Im guessing you'll get a check.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with SCE. Apparently when I signed up I elected to just roll it over. I do not remember doing this. Perhaps it was part of the paperwork Palomar had me sign? SCE gave me the option to be given a check but of course it won't be issued till next years net metering date. This includes the California Climate Credit.

Xring01

Reaction score
The reasoning for my questions. I have considered it for a long time, but I have not been able to get a ROI below 7-8 years...
So instead of putting $20k or moew into something that has a long term ROI, i chose to put that $$ in the markets, thats getting me a much higher ROI.. 25-30%...

I have a few questions.. you can pm me the response if you want.
What was your annual electicity bill before solar?
How big of a system did you intall? 3kw? 4kw?
What was the installed cost of that system?
What is your expected Return on the investment? 7 yrs?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I was boarder line and didn’t have big electric bills. But I figured that I was paying the power anyways, so what was the difference. eventually it will be paid off then i’m good.

If you would have installed it when you first thought about it you could have only have 4 yrs left. Then all clear.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I ended last year with an $800 “credit” and got a refund check for $50. Lol.

This year my house never goes above 74. And we leave our outside lights on dusk to dawn everyday. Adding electric patio heaters to my awning adding AC to my garage and a jacuzzi in the back yard.The goal is to get close to zero as we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
The reasoning for my questions. I have considered it for a long time, but I have not been able to get a ROI below 7-8 years...
So instead of putting $20k or moew into something that has a long term ROI, i chose to put that $$ in the markets, thats getting me a much higher ROI.. 25-30%...

I have a few questions.. you can pm me the response if you want.
What was your annual electicity bill before solar?
How big of a system did you intall? 3kw? 4kw?
What was the installed cost of that system?
What is your expected Return on the investment? 7 yrs?

$1500 year
16 300 watt = 4800
10,800 after Fed rebate
7 years but sooner as Edison raises rates 4-5% a year.

Plan to use extra electricity produced to charge an electric car in future so ROI will be sooner. I wanted a guaranteed ROI as I am retiring soon.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Just fyi,

Our friend Echo Lodge was a borderline deal. Ie his lifestyle involves candles and no AC. Inside joke. I said look this isnt a home run, but he insisted he would like to use more power and lock in his cost of power, so his 7 year return is based on his old usage, which is substancially less than he uses now. Secondly, I have no idea how Bildo has so much extra power knowing him as I do personally, but somehow his meter only spins backwards even though he has more gizmos in his house than Clinton has skeletons.

Comment made by Done it Again is so true, if you hate your power bill, at least I can nip it in the bud by limiting its climb. Due to changes at the PUC its no longer a flat out home run and a 4 year return for a home. Frankly its closer to 6 unless you are a power user and have $5-800 a month bills. Of course commercial deals we do like Waxie, Goodwill, UPS etc we see 3 year returns, but these are huge systems. You can bet sitting on the sideline you will continue to get screwed by the utilities. Ask how many of my RDP guys feel they didnt get everything and more we promised. I personally answer their calls and work very hard to make sure they got everything they paid for.

I am happy to help fellow boaters and friends, but honestly if you believe that you can consistently hit the returns you have recently on your money and you wont be honest with the rise in utility rates, stick to your investment play. Had you called me 4 years ago your system would be paid for and I would still be warrantying it for 21 more years. FYI, Elon wont answer your call, his solar company is on the verge of .. soon and will definately not be there when you realize he sold you crap but the fine print lets him out of his warranty.

FYI, sorry about my tone, having to let go a nice kid who decided he owns my company as well as dealing with a few whack job customers has me in a bit of a mood. Oh and Echo, I didnt tell SCE what to do with your overproduction, but I know you didnt mean it that way.

Time for one more cocktail before we try again tomorrow...

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
almost 6 months since my system was installed..

Edison_4_11_18.jpg

Got a nice little credit towards Summer usage!! I leave my AC from June until October.. LOL
Thanks again Andy, best decision ever! Have another drink and relax.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
almost 6 months since my system was installed..

Got a nice little credit towards Summer usage!! I leave my AC from June until October.. LOL
Thanks again Andy, best decision ever! Have another drink and relax.

Your posted image doesn't show the $10 a month to be attached to SCE grid. Do you get charged monthly like I do? Also, you went TOU D-A rather then TOU D-A better for your use?

https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home...syq-hqdvTtaZJw!!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Echo, he definately has the 10 a month charge, we all do. I will look at current rates in Edison and make sure where you all should be. As i recall we got you installed as a NEM1, as such I would just stay on DR. Angler is a NEM2 install as such he was required to go TOU. All rate plans are constantly in flux. Currently SDGE is a mess, they are leterally changing plans on the fly and then lying to customers and the PUC about it.

We caught them last Friday pretending the best plan for early NEM2 customers was no longer valid. Somehow Monday morning when confronted by the watchdog group after my email the plan was back alive, though not available as a choice online, a customer had to call and demand it, but it was back.

This rate crap is now daily conversation for me.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Echo, he definately has the 10 a month charge, we all do. I will look at current rates in Edison and make sure where you all should be. As i recall we got you installed as a NEM1, as such I would just stay on DR. Angler is a NEM2 install as such he was required to go TOU. All rate plans are constantly in flux. Currently SDGE is a mess, they are leterally changing plans on the fly and then lying to customers and the PUC about it.

We caught them last Friday pretending the best plan for early NEM2 customers was no longer valid. Somehow Monday morning when confronted by the watchdog group after my email the plan was back alive, though not available as a choice online, a customer had to call and demand it, but it was back.

This rate crap is now daily conversation for me.

Thanks for the update... Yes, NEM1 and I am on TOU-D-T

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Thanks for the update... Yes, NEM1 and I am on TOU-D-T
Ok, but watch that they dont change the TOU period on you to the evening, that is what happened in SDGE. If they do, you want to go back to simple tier.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I was one of Andy's early adopters and have a solar system installed at the CA place in Havasu connected through SCE. We are lucky enough to have the highest tier levels in their system but even with those we were consistently hitting tier2, 3 and 4 when they had those and all that was BEFORE solar.

My system went live in 2015 and according to my tracking spreadsheet will be completely paid off (including the $10 a month charges) in February 2019 and possibly sooner depending on how this year goes.

Come next year I can look at no longer paying for electricity at least for the next 17 years until my contract with SCE runs out.......all in all a pretty good ROI as far as I'm concerned and have recommended Andy to as many of my friends that are still left in CA these days!! :D

Palomar Solar is the "Real Deal" and you should take a serious look as one things for sure and that is that electricity will continue to get higher and higher and the only way to lock in your costs is to make your own electricity!!!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Ok, but watch that they dont change the TOU period on you to the evening, that is what happened in SDGE. If they do, you want to go back to simple tier.

Last bill still has TOU-D-T.... And was not pointing fingers ref the SCE rollover option with my credit. I don't ever recall telling them this and perhaps its SCE default unless you call them. They definitely do not like issuing checks out is my guess. Super happy with my system and how responsive you have been to my questions even a year post install!

Just saw that in lower right corner of below pic says Net Surplus Compensation option: Rollover

sce3.JPG

Last edited:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I ended last year with an $800 “credit” and got a refund check for $50. Lol.

This year my house never goes above 74. And we leave our outside lights on dusk to dawn everyday. Adding electric patio heaters to my awning adding AC to my garage and a jacuzzi in the back yard.The goal is to get close to zero as we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure, like you, I’d be running the crap out of everything so that at the end of the year, or month, I’d be paying a just couple bucks to them. No reason for them to profit off of your investment. [emoji106]

When is BH coming to Phoenix?
Anyone out here worth dealing with?
I’m at 5500 sq.ft and just added a pool. Going nowhere for at least 15 years. I’m thinking more and more about doing a system.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Echo Lodge, Net surplus rollover must be SCE default setting, as I never agreed to that either. I will be calling them tomorrow. LOL

Edison_4_12_18.jpg

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Last bill still has TOU-D-T.... And was not pointing fingers ref the SCE rollover option with my credit. I don't ever recall telling them this and perhaps its SCE default unless you call them. They definitely do not like issuing checks out is my guess. Super happy with my system and how responsive you have been to my questions even a year post install!

Just saw that in lower right corner of below pic says Net Surplus Compensation option: Rollover

View attachment 634446
Honestly rollover is your best option, at some time you will benefit as long as you have hat credit, think the new tesla/leaf

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Pretty sure, like you, I’d be running the crap out of everything so that at the end of the year, or month, I’d be paying a just couple bucks to them. No reason for them to profit off of your investment. [emoji106]

When is BH coming to Phoenix?
Anyone out here worth dealing with?
I’m at 5500 sq.ft and just added a pool. Going nowhere for at least 15 years. I’m thinking more and more about doing a system.

Im not currently doing AZ, but I do have a house there and am curious, send me your bills and you never know. If nothing else I will tell you what makes sense. Some day soon I hope to leave Ca taxes behind. Maybe SJP has some ideas for me, but he has been tough to find lately. Not really, I have been to busy to enjoy my relax place.

Paul65k

Reaction score
Thanks again to the proactive group at Palomar Solar they advised me to get on the TOU-D-T plan last year in April. Last months bill was almost identical to the previous year at 50Kwh surplus this year vs. 52 last year.

Last year we got a $8.49 credit and this year with the TOU plan we put $28.18 in the bank with 2Kwh's less (a 330% increase)........I know it doesn't sound like much but hey this is all about saving $$$

Palomar is the best!!!

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Thanks again to the proactive group at Palomar Solar they advised me to get on the TOU-D-T plan last year in April. Last months bill was almost identical to the previous year at 50Kwh surplus this year vs. 52 last year.

Last year we got a $8.49 credit and this year with the TOU plan we put $28.18 in the bank with 2Kwh's less (a 330% increase)........I know it doesn't sound like much but hey this is all about saving $$$

Palomar is the best!!!

Thanks Paul, we try very hard.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Andy, looking at my bill above, would you recommend any changes to SCE billing rates?

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Its a toss up based on what I am seeing.

TOU-D-A Your plan (summer rates) has lower super off peak 10pm to 8am of 12 cents and 48cents from 2pm to 8pm, unfortunately you will be buying some of that power at 48cents since solar production can be light after 6. But if you seriously overproduce you are selling high it should result in a net gain. The rest of the day 8am to 2pm (good solar time) and 8pm to 10pm (bad production time) you are paying 28 cents, again you should net positive due to prime procustion in the day will offset those 2 hours at night.

TOU-D-T Paul's plan (summer rates ) only has 2 periods Off peak is 6pm to noon at 23 cents he should be about even during this period due to morning production being pretty good, his on peak rate is 42 cents from noon to 6pm. Here he should make bank all summer.

As you can see frankly they are a toss up, it really depends on your lifestyle. For those who are asking about potential projects this is why the green button info is so important. It shows us in 15 minute intervals how you use power and therefore how the TOU rates will affect you or in some cases how you can arbitrage the plan itself. The biggest thing we can do is retrain our evenings to not doing laundry and the dishwasher when we get home but rather late night or early morning.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Honestly rollover is your best option, at some time you will benefit as long as you have hat credit, think the new tesla/leaf

A check for $87 dollars from SCE showed up yesterday. Even though they told me I would not get any money from my over production until after my next net out period. My bill shows 179.80 in credits. So not sure why refund was for 87. My over production is worth $81.80.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I think it’s been a couple years for us? Wife is still happy so I’m happy :D

Paul65k

Reaction score
A check for $87 dollars from SCE showed up yesterday. Even though they told me I would not get any money from my over production until after my next net out period. My bill shows 179.80 in credits. So not sure why refund was for 87. My over production is worth $81.80.
Maybe your 2 energy credits from the previous year plus the overproduction payout on the overage???????

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Maybe your 2 energy credits from the previous year plus the overproduction payout on the overage???????

That would be 81.80 for over production plus $35 times 2 for the Climate Credit so that doesn't add up either.... I still show 92 in credit on my bill so that plus my payout = the total of credit on my bill. Looks like I got paid for my kWhs but not my climate credit. But hey, no out of pocket expenses and my Palomar system is working perfectly!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
So I got a refund and they held some.... So they just take the 10 bucks a month to be connected to their grid out of my credit!
sce3.JPG

And continuing to build more credit!

sce4.JPG

Yet I am getting another refund in 14 days?

sce5.JPG

Hard to make sense out their billing. I think I have made $106 in credits for April (but won't see that amount when they cash me out next year at .03 a kWh).

sce6.JPG

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Here I am after 1 year. Need to set my thermostat lower.

No point looking at the bill cause like everyone else I don’t understand it or do I really want to.

47B3FAA3-72C4-44C2-9D63-C63234F80D4B.jpeg
417DCD72-32CC-4B2D-8B24-355C4040714D.jpeg
08AE19BD-F7B8-412A-86CC-E3708DBE4F0B.jpeg