WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Well that escalated quickly.....

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
So what started as an engine refresh has turned into a total gut job on the ole heat...upon removing the back seat which I knew had rotten wood I found a lot more rotten wood in the floor and ski locker bulkheads....not a very expensive problem just time consuming but needs to be fixed...just thought I would start a thread detailing the repairs/upgrades on the boat

so far...

engine(525 sc) has been out and at the builder for awhile...bored .030 over, JE pistons, eagle rods, stock crank just cleaned up, all new bearings, roller cam and rockers, dart iron eagle heads, replacing the tiny 177 blower with a slightly larger 256...should get the engine back next week finally

to do....

floor repair, pretty much rewire almost everything on the boat..previous owner was NOT an electrician lol, rear seat rebuild, new carpet, new stereo, reassemble interior

anyway...here's some pics...

Last edited:

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
exhaust.jpg
motor.jpg
motor2.jpg
interior.jpg
exhaust.jpg
motor.jpg

bagged97taco

Reaction score
How many hours on your 525 before rebuild? Did you hurt it, or just due for freshening? Curious to what it puts out now?

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
Well..not really sure to be honest...hour meter read 430ish but when I opened it up it had crane gold roller rockers which did not come from the factory so its been opened up before...main reason was I had one cylinder that was about 25 lbs lower on compression than the rest so I knew she was getting tired...still ran perfect just wanted to do a refresh which turned into redoing everything..one of those well while I'm there I might as well do this too things hahaha

Don't have the motor back from the builder but their estimate was around 650-700 with the small 256 at 6-7 lbs of boost...not gonna pay for dyno tuning so wont really know what she makes..the goal is to get the boat to 80 mph so we shall see...it ran 75 with the tired 525 so I think I should be close...I hope anyway hahaha

Stewart

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Well..not really sure to be honest...hour meter read 430ish but when I opened it up it had crane gold roller rockers which did not come from the factory so its been opened up before...main reason was I had one cylinder that was about 25 lbs lower on compression than the rest so I knew she was getting tired...still ran perfect just wanted to do a refresh which turned into redoing everything..one of those well while I'm there I might as well do this too things hahaha

Don't have the motor back from the builder but their estimate was around 650-700 with the small 256 at 6-7 lbs of boost...not gonna pay for dyno tuning so wont really know what she makes..the goal is to get the boat to 80 mph so we shall see...it ran 75 with the tired 525 so I think I should be close...I hope anyway hahaha

Stewart

Merc blue motors came with Crane gold rockers in them.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Wonder if you could get Nordic to sell you a new style complete composit flooring

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
I thought only like the "new" blue motors came with cranes?? I assumed mine being so old it would just be standard gm valvetrain junk??

I am planning to call them Monday and see what their opinion is..if I have to take most of the floor out anyway I was also curious about converting to a belly tank instead of the saddle gas tanks

I also need some help sourcing purple carpet...I was going to ask Nordic about that as well but if anyone has any opinions on finding glue down purple carpet please let me know

Also spoke with the engine builder today and the shortblock is complete!! They are hoping middle of next week to have the long block complete...they told me to come up on Monday and check the progress and snap some pics so I may run up there Monday morning when I get off work :)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
BFD826E8-25C6-47AC-A663-B2C2868340F6.jpeg
E3D27D84-995A-4A80-8FCE-3914DD3FC569.jpeg
I thought only like the "new" blue motors came with cranes?? I assumed mine being so old it would just be standard gm valvetrain junk??

I am planning to call them Monday and see what their opinion is..if I have to take most of the floor out anyway I was also curious about converting to a belly tank instead of the saddle gas tanks

I also need some help sourcing purple carpet...I was going to ask Nordic about that as well but if anyone has any opinions on finding glue down purple carpet please let me know

Also spoke with the engine builder today and the shortblock is complete!! They are hoping middle of next week to have the long block complete...they told me to come up on Monday and check the progress and snap some pics so I may run up there Monday morning when I get off work :)
Just curious if the purple carpet is the same as this.:D

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
And yes!! that's the carpet I'm looking for!! mine had shitty grey carpet and I'd like to change it up a bit

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
And yes!! that's the carpet I'm looking for!! mine had shitty grey carpet and I'd like to change it up a bit
That’s the original carpet on the boat I showed you the pictures of the seat on. Maybe Nordic can hook you up.

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
Made some progress on the boat the past couple days...don't be too critical I'm no fiberglass expert but got all the rotten wood out and replaced and all the new stuff glassed in...ended up having to do both ski locker bulkheads and the section of the floor you can see in the pics...also picked the motor up from the builder yesterday so hopefully early next week I can get her dressed and painted and possibly set in the boat!! Have to paint the ski locker and paint under where the motor is going and paint the motor mount before it goes in but its coming along!! anyway heres some pics...
1.jpg
2.jpg

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.JPG
d.JPG
e.jpg
f.JPG
g.JPG
h.jpg
i.JPG
j.JPG
k.jpg
l.JPG
m.JPEG
n.JPG
o.jpg
Well I didn't realize how long its been since I updated this thread however it clearly has been a loooong time hahaha I have a bunch of pics I'll post but the jist of them is I decided to basically start from scratch on this thing and filled and redid the whole transom, dash, and cockpit. filled everything and started over...motor has been in and out more times than I care to count due to the "engine builder" fucking me on several things one of them causing it to be out currently. Current issue is they used too light of valve springs and when I get into boost and start pouring the coals to her it hits 5k and hits a wall. So engine is out and heads are going to a different shop this Friday to have them gone through again with proper parts and I'm also going with a little more aggressive cam while its out. Also bit the bullet and decided to go EFI so that will be going on this winter as well. Basically once the engine goes back in this time the only left to do will be the cockpit interior as far as the seats and whatnot getting redone which will come next winter probably. I want to use the damn thing for a year and get ALL the bugs worked out before I have the interior done. Cabin interior I am doing myself along with a very large and LOUD stereo hahaha...Top speed as of now is 82 up from my best of 75 before all this started...that was at 5k rpms and 4-5 lbs of boost. Plan is to spin it to 6k and 7-8 lbs of boost so I think 85 is easily obtainable in the ole straight bottom pig lol

Anyway here's all the pics...thanks for looking!!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Good to see progress, I wondered if you were still working on it.:cool:

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
Thanks! Yea still plugging along slowly but surely....been a loooong hard road...used it 5 times at the end of this year and found the valve spring issue. Hoping to use the shit out of it next year lol.

ltzcrew

Reaction score
looks great, what was the valve spring issue if you dont mind me asking ?

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
Thanks!! Come to find out the "builder" chose a valve spring that was waayyyy too light on seat pressure and I was either floating the valves or seeing valve bounce and the motor would hit a wall at 5k....it would pull like a mule 6 lbs of boost screamin then at 48-5100 it would drop boost to 4 and it was like you pulled the throttle back...I was shooting for 7-8 lbs at 6000 rpm and it just wouldn't get there. Talked a very experienced head guy and he laughed when I told him what springs those jackasses put in the motor...I think exact words were "that's not even enough for a mild small block for fucks sake" hahaha so the heads are there now getting redone and I have started mounting the pump and filters and running new lines for the EFI conversion...also planning to gut and start the cabin interior this weekend and start the process of redoing all of that and installing the stereo. Still a long road to go but it's getting there!!