WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Baker 18' Re-power Help

gqchris

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Going to re-power my 18.5' Baker MOD VP. Motor was bad when I got it so I have never even gotten a chance to get it on plane or drive it, so I have no idea of its characteristics, but I heard they are great hulls.

I yanked off the Johnson 225 GT (450 lbs approx) it had on it, and I am looking at a new 300XS. (505 dry). Too heavy?

It has a setback jack already on it and hydraulic steering. I would like a shop to rig it. According to Jacos where I am getting the motor from, it has to be shipped to an authorized Merc dealer. I have a message into John at Nordic and also Performance Marine in Corona. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
Boat2.jpg

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
I would add WOT Marine in Carlsbad to your list. They have a ton of experience with outboards and set up with ski race boats, mod VP, cats, etc.

They are a merc dealer as well.

Ask for Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Kyle / WOT can do the re-rig. 300xs is going to be quite a bit on that boat. I used to race against several them and they blow over pretty easily. I would keep it to a 2.5, like the drag for sale on here, much lighter and more power.

gqchris

Reaction score
Kyle / WOT can do the re-rig. 300xs is going to be quite a bit on that boat. I used to race against several them and they blow over pretty easily. I would keep it to a 2.5, like the drag for sale on here, much lighter and more power.

Walt I was speaking with Danny who is selling the drag and he thought it might be too heavy also. Also his that he is selling takes AV gas and seems to be less "turn key". Whats your thoughts on the drag for pleasure use?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Walt I was speaking with Danny who is selling the drag and he thought it might be too heavy also. Also his that he is selling takes AV gas and seems to be less "turn key". Whats your thoughts on the drag for pleasure use?

A 2.5 will be less weight then the Johnson turd that was on there.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
And AV gas is worth the extra dollarish a gallon in my book. Cheap insurance, and available at the pump in many places in Havasu. I run it all the time in my 300x's.

gqchris

Reaction score
And AV gas is worth the extra dollarish a gallon in my book. Cheap insurance, and available at the pump in many places in Havasu. I run it all the time in my 300x's.

I just talked to Danny and Im gonna get it firmed up and make it happen. Yea the Johnson was a heavy turd thats for sure. I think Bullhead also has AV gas? I plan on getting back onto that part of the river for nostalgic purposes!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Walt anyone to suggest to rig in Havi? Fallon wont return my calls!

I would tow it to WOT in Carlsbad, there is some talent in Havasu but availability is an issue. Fallon typically won’t take repowers until the fall. KYLE from WOT has towed my boat back to his shop for me a few times when he was at the river

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I would tow it to WOT in Carlsbad, there is some talent in Havasu but availability is an issue. Fallon typically won’t take repowers until the fall. KYLE from WOT has towed my boat back to his shop for me a few times when he was at the river

A lot of it you can do yourself. It’s pretty basic Low tech stuff from that era.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Does the boat already ha e hydraulic steering? If not you’ll need to figure that in to your budget.

gqchris

Reaction score
Does the boat already ha e hydraulic steering? If not you’ll need to figure that in to your budget.
Yup its already on there. With the hydraulic jack plate you had on it also.

gqchris

Reaction score
I'm calling him in morning for sure.

RCDave

Reaction score
IMG_8490-20150629-153630801.jpg
I highly recommend Kevin at KMG. I had him repower my Cougar 22 MTR. Had a 300xs shipped in from Jacos. Kmg did an amazing job installing the engine along with additional rigging and gelcoat repairs

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
I highly recommend Kevin at KMG. I had him repower my Cougar 22 MTR. Had a 300xs shipped in from Jacos. Kmg did an amazing job installing the engine along with additional rigging and gelcoat repairs
Thanks for the addtional option also Dave. Does he have a waiting list?

RCDave

Reaction score
Don't know. But he turned my boat pretty efficiently, was awesome to work with, and significantly less expensive.

Demoman

Reaction score
I would make sure that the Baker likes the heavier 300. I have a Stoker 20 and was told that the boat did not like the 300x because of the weight and shape of the lower unit

gqchris

Reaction score
I would make sure that the Baker likes the heavier 300. I have a Stoker 20 and was told that the boat did not like the 300x because of the weight and shape of the lower unit

Yea I decided to not go the 300 route due to advice here. Im looking at a 2.5 that seems to be the right choice!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yup its already on there. With the hydraulic jack plate you had on it also.

Is that my sons Baker from last summer? Looks like a different motor then when he had it.

stoker2001

Reaction score
I have seen 3L mercs on 20' stokers,so it might be a tad heavy for the baker but doable IMO..have you ever owned a racing 2.5 merc?wicked for sure,but you realize they stopped selling these in 2005 and parts are getting impossible to find new?also hassle of mixing oil in gas and pistons/rings only last 200 hours.If you are down,by all means go for it..I still own one and in denial that parts are NLA.The 300XS is going out of production this year,but is WAY more consumer friendly and makes great power.parts will be available for next ten years.If its the Danny i am thinking of,Mr Smith is a great cat to deal with

gqchris

Reaction score
I have seen 3L mercs on 20' stokers,so it might be a tad heavy for the baker but doable IMO..have you ever owned a racing 2.5 merc?wicked for sure,but you realize they stopped selling these in 2005 and parts are getting impossible to find new?also hassle of mixing oil in gas and pistons/rings only last 200 hours.If you are down,by all means go for it..I still own one and in denial that parts are NLA.The 300XS is going out of production this year,but is WAY more consumer friendly and makes great power.parts will be available for next ten years.If its the Danny i am thinking of,Mr Smith is a great cat to deal with

Never owned a racing 2.5, but I have owned blower motors etc. So I do know what I am getting into in a sense. But I definitely take your advice and I am eve more confused! LOL...Im on the fence. Im giving Kevin a call at KMG right now. Thanks!

Chris

gqchris

Reaction score
Here lies the problem. There is no way to find out without putting it on the boat. Guess its worth a try

RCDave

Reaction score
I have a friend with a 260hp 2.5. Brand new never mounted on a boat. Only minimal run time on a stand. I can introduce you, if interested.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Corina Fallon. She has a list of people to call back. However she did mention emailing her would probably be best. They are doing lots of repowers.

[email protected]

stoker2001

Reaction score
Here lies the problem. There is no way to find out without putting it on the boat. Guess its worth a try
look at it this way,some guys (even bully) had 300XS on little tiny 18' STV..that 20' Baker is a bit more boat..XS is only 55lbs more then that Johnrude,so just go conservative with amount of setback,it will rip.plus you will have warrantee and motor that is WAY less fussy and last three times longer on 89 octane..just saying.BTW,that is cleanest looking Baker i have ever seen!

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
View attachment 652518 I highly recommend Kevin at KMG. I had him repower my Cougar 22 MTR. Had a 300xs shipped in from Jacos. Kmg did an amazing job installing the engine along with additional rigging and gelcoat repairs
Kevin did my 21 Daytona too, great work. Amazing gel guy too.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Never owned a racing 2.5, but I have owned blower motors etc. So I do know what I am getting into in a sense. But I definitely take your advice and I am eve more confused! LOL...Im on the fence. Im giving Kevin a call at KMG right now. Thanks!

Chris
I had a 2.5 offshore on my first Daytona, very user friendly, probably my favorite motor I’ve owned.

gqchris

Reaction score
I have a friend with a 260hp 2.5. Brand new never mounted on a boat. Only minimal run time on a stand. I can introduce you, if interested.

Dave. YES please!!

gqchris

Reaction score
look at it this way,some guys (even bully) had 300XS on little tiny 18' STV..that 20' Baker is a bit more boat..XS is only 55lbs more then that Johnrude,so just go conservative with amount of setback,it will rip.plus you will have warrantee and motor that is WAY less fussy and last three times longer on 89 octane..just saying.BTW,that is cleanest looking Baker i have ever seen!

So true. I figure if its a complete disaster, the 300 has resale value.

And thanks for the compliment! Heres another shot of her when i cut and buffed.

IMG_6677.JPG

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The owner of the Lowerriver_outboards page on Instagram had a 18' Baker with a 200hp Optimax on it. I believe the 200 optis were also 505lbs like the 300xs. I'd shoot him a message on there (I do believe he is a member here as well, can't remember his screen name though) and see how his ran and handled and what not.

https://www.instagram.com/lowerriver_outboards/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
The owner of the Lowerriver_outboards page on Instagram had a 18' Baker with a 200hp Optimax on it. I believe the 200 optis were also 505lbs like the 300xs. I'd shoot him a message on there (I do believe he is a member here as well, can't remember his screen name though) and see how his ran and handled and what not.

https://www.instagram.com/lowerriver_outboards/

Thanks Lavey. Appreciate the lead and I will message him!

gqchris

Reaction score
Well Guys, Decided to go all out and put the 300 Drag on her. :DWOT Marine is the only shop that answered my call and was eager to get going on the rigging. I'm sure I could do it also, just don't want to waste the summer away. Will keep everyone posted here as the progress comes along!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Well Guys, Decided to go all out and put the 300 Drag on her. :DWOT Marine is the only shop that answered my call and was eager to get going on the rigging. I'm sure I could do it also, just don't want to waste the summer away. Will keep everyone posted here as the progress comes along!

My god that thing is going to be a rocket.

Frankenmax

Reaction score
Who’s got the balls to ski behind it? I’m curious to see what prop ends up on this monster.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Be very careful...and if the transom isn't worthy of getting run over by a tank...you might consider having some work done on it. Once you gather up the nuts and learn the boat enough to put your foot all the way down...that thing is gonna be stupid fast. The driver I crew for ran over 80 last year at parker in that same hull with an old 2.0L on it. You'll be well into the triple digits...be careful.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Who’s got the balls to ski behind it? I’m curious to see what prop ends up on this monster.

the 300 drag spins...so prop selection should be reasonable. It;s not like he'll be looking for a 38P to spin at a limit of 7000rpms.

gqchris

Reaction score
the 300 drag spins...so prop selection should be reasonable. It;s not like he'll be looking for a 38P to spin at a limit of 7000rpms.

Exactly. I dont have the balls to stretch the legs out on an 18’ rocket. Lol

gqchris

Reaction score
Be very careful...and if the transom isn't worthy of getting run over by a tank...you might consider having some work done on it. Once you gather up the nuts and learn the boat enough to put your foot all the way down...that thing is gonna be stupid fast. The driver I crew for ran over 80 last year at parker in that same hull with an old 2.0L on it. You'll be well into the triple digits...be careful.

Thanks. The transom has double bracing like most other boats I have seen. The 2.5 is considerably lighter than the Johson tank that was on it. I also am not planning on making drag passes on it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My friend blew one over racing COR with a 2.0 on it, so be careful, and wear a lifeline jacket.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My buddies 18 Baker with a 150 2.4L runs super level. I was really surprised to see how flat it runs yet very dry at 65ish. Above that.... I have no idea and with a 300 drag.... MY GOD!!! Sick set-up right there!

gqchris

Reaction score
My friend blew one over racing COR with a 2.0 on it, so be careful, and wear a lifeline jacket.

I saw the video. His trim finger was very happy that morning not to mention the wind coming down that canyon. Did he blow it over again?