WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Major accident rice road. Head on.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
3.5 million $$ here, 10 Million $$ there......

Won't make any difference. Doing a modern highway correctly costs close to 1 Million $$ a mile or more per 2 lane. Grading, crowning, proper sub-base, surface, etc. Even done 100% new, and done 100% correctly, it will last and stay in good condition for maybe 2 years. Desert sun, heat, traffic, weight, earth movement, etc. takes its toll. (pun intended) The damn road is built on top of sugar sand for Christ's sake.

It would take a minimum 200-300 Million $$ to bring the 80 mile, 177/62 road from DC to Parker to even minimum standards for a major thoroughfare, including shoulders, passing lanes, sight alignment, straightening, dip removal, etc.

And then it would have to be done all over again in 3-5 years.
There always seems to be money for the welfare programs and pet projects but never enough money for routine road maintenance. High traffic roads need to be ground and repaved every 2 to 3 years.

River Runnin

Reaction score
3.5 million $$ here, 10 Million $$ there......

Won't make any difference. Doing a modern highway correctly costs close to 1 Million $$ a mile or more per 2 lane. Grading, crowning, proper sub-base, surface, etc. Even done 100% new, and done 100% correctly, it will last and stay in good condition for maybe 2 years. Desert sun, heat, traffic, weight, earth movement, etc. takes its toll. (pun intended) The damn road is built on top of sugar sand for Christ's sake.

It would take a minimum 200-300 Million $$ to bring the 80 mile, 177/62 road from DC to Parker to even minimum standards for a major thoroughfare, including shoulders, passing lanes, sight alignment, straightening, dip removal, etc.

And then it would have to be done all over again in 3-5 years.

I was just gonna post they should make it 4 lanes the whole way! -- 166/62 -- These Freeway & city 5 lane drivers (and first time towing EXPERTS) would have no need to cross the double yellows!

rrrr

Reaction score
Doing a modern highway correctly costs close to 1 Million $$ a mile or more per 2 lane. Grading, crowning, proper sub-base, surface, etc. Even done 100% new, and done 100% correctly, it will last and stay in good condition for maybe 2 years.

Sorta off topic...

The section of US 550 between Ouray and Silverton, CO is known as the Million Dollar Highway. According to local legend, it was because of the cost to widen and pave the nineteenth century route originally cut through the mountains. The 1922-1924 construction supposedly cost one million dollars per mile to build.

The origin of the name Million Dollar Highway is disputed. There are several legends, though, including that it cost a million dollars a mile to build in the 1920s, and that its fill dirt contains a million dollars in gold ore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_550#Colorado

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Sorta off topic...

The section of US 550 between Ouray and Silverton, CO is known as the Million Dollar Highway. According to local legend, it was because of the cost to widen and pave the nineteenth century route originally cut through the mountains. The 1922-1924 construction supposedly cost one million dollars per mile to build.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_550#Colorado
Cal trans could double that.:mad:

rrrr

Reaction score
Last time I did the math, the cost of trackage for the CA bullet train was running about $21,000 per foot. If it survives, when the southern portion through the mountains is built, tunneling costs will easily exceed $75,000 per foot.

CalTrans is planning to use four tunnel boring machines similar to one currently being used for subway construction in Seattle. It cost $80 million.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Last time I did the math, the cost of trackage for the CA bullet train was running about $21,000 per foot. If it survives, when the southern portion through the mountains is built, tunneling costs will easily exceed $75,000 per foot.

CalTrans is planning to use four tunnel boring machines similar to one currently being used for subway construction in Seattle. It cost $80 million.

It will as big of a failure as anything .Gov does. Kind of like the 91 fwy through corona. Spent millions and traffic is just as bad if not worse than before. Poor planning and plenty of folks leaning on a shovel. For a disappointing result.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Hard to believe how we used to drive that road in our 20’s, 30 or so years ago, towing a boat, open bed pickup, two buddies sitting in the bed of a truck in lawn chairs with a cooler full of beer, no seat belts on, passing joints between the cab and guys in the bed. Completely idiotic. Glad I lived to grow old.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
It will as big of a failure as anything .Gov does. Kind of like the 91 fwy through corona. Spent millions and traffic is just as bad if not worse than before. Poor planning and plenty of folks leaning on a shovel. For a disappointing result.
On the 91 you need to look at what the enviro's cause when the planning is done on that kind of project.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

That was all to put in toll lanes, not to fix traffic.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Hard to believe how we used to drive that road in our 20’s, 30 or so years ago, towing a boat, open bed pickup, two buddies sitting in the bed of a truck in lawn chairs with a cooler full of beer, no seat belts on, passing joints between the cab and guys in the bed. Completely idiotic. Glad I lived to grow old.

How quickly those on the soapbox forget..

Slats

Reaction score
The spent millions on the 405 widening project. Didn't do anything to help traffic problems. The gov doesn't want to fix anything. They just want to push stuff around to make it look like they are doing something.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The sad reality is you can’t stop it no matter what you do to the highways people are going to make mistakes. Whether it be driving under the influence driving tired or just plain driving like an asshole unfortunately the carnage will never stop.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
The spent millions on the 405 widening project. Didn't do anything to help traffic problems. The gov doesn't want to fix anything. They just want to push stuff around to make it look like they are doing something.

Anything .Gov does is a massive failure. Too much waste. Too little accountability. Lack of any incentive to perform.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I agree we're all over taxed in California and many tax increases have been diverted and misspent on other projects not intended. But SB1 is first gas tax increase in 2 decades, it's paid for by those using the roads and amended to insure that revenue go to road improvement projects only as intended. The problem is in previous tax bills which should and need to be repealed or amended, not SB1. The roads and traffic aren't issue where I live, and I'm fine paying additional .12 tax if it will help the other areas where rest of you guys travel. Drive and vote carefully…...;)

Demoman

Reaction score
Most of us are old enough to have grown up driving on two lane highways. We watched and learned from our parents about when and how to pass on these roads. I think some of the youngsters out there may have little or no experience on two lane highways.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree we're all over taxed in California and many tax increases have been diverted and misspent on other projects not intended. But SB1 is first gas tax increase in 2 decades, it's paid for by those using the roads and amended to insure that revenue go to road improvement projects only as intended. The problem is in previous tax bills which should and need to be repealed or amended, not SB1. The roads and traffic aren't issue where I live, and I'm fine paying additional .12 tax if it will help the other areas where rest of you guys travel. Drive and vote carefully…...;)

That is inaccurate. The cap and trade “credit” taxes on oil
companies went into effect in 2015, and is passed directly to the price at the pump.

You don’t give someone that can’t manage money more money. That does not solve any problems.

I’m ok with taxes when everyone’s quality of life is improving. Quality of life is on the decline in CA, and it is not because of lack of tax revenue.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
E4BCFD21-A825-4E96-8244-97C825D5641A.jpeg
But SB1 is first gas tax increase in 2 decades, it's paid for by those using the roads and amended to insure that revenue go to road improvement projects only as intended. …...;)

NOT TRUE and the comment “insure that revenue go to road improvement projects only as intended.” Is MISLEADING... as it is not mandatory. SB1 is a scam by the state....

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
They'll pass a law today that guarantees 100% of the new tax revenue goes to roads, schools, or whatever. And next year they'll amend it to shift the proceeds somewhere else. No legislature is bound to laws passed by previous legislatures. And they know it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
On the way home passed another head on on rice. People were driving like assholes. [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you guys were around driving (or riding with parents) the 91 through Santa Ana canyon back in the later 50's & early 60's when it was a Three lane highway --- center lane was for passing only, often referred to as the "Chicken Lane" :eek:
Since invariably cars were playing chicken to see which direction would yield, to often neither did :( Talk about carnage, summer weekends were always backed up returning home from Lake Arrowhead due to high speed head on collisions. Another section just like that preceded the 55 frwy between Santa Ana and Costa Mesa, which was all Lima bean fields back then.

brgrcru

Reaction score

What don't you get?
you think this money is going to be used for roads? how many times has that been promised?
its all bull shit . yet you think its a good tax.
let alone paying extra $150/$250 on your vehicle for registration.
please . send a check to Sac. if you think you haven't paid tio use the roads.
But don't fucking TREAD ON ME! because I'm sick and tired be taxed to fucking death in this state trying to run a business. Fucking A.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
There always seems to be money for the welfare programs and pet projects but never enough money for routine road maintenance. High traffic roads need to be ground and repaved every 2 to 3 years.
Roads don’t vote ...

NicPaus

Reaction score
Neighbor just showed me a article from last Monday. 4 killed on rice in a head on with semi.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you guys were around driving (or riding with parents) the 91 through Santa Ana canyon back in the later 50's & early 60's when it was a Three lane highway --- center lane was for passing only, often referred to as the "Chicken Lane" :eek:
Since invariably cars were playing chicken to see which direction would yield, to often neither did :( Talk about carnage, summer weekends were always backed up returning home from Lake Arrowhead due to high speed head on collisions. Another section just like that preceded the 55 frwy between Santa Ana and Costa Mesa, which was all Lima bean fields back then.
I certainly remember both those roads. My dad called it the canyon rd and his shop was in Costa Mesa so we traveled that section of the then to be 55 a lot. Remember the old fish smokehouse down that way????

TCHB

Reaction score
I have noticed people traveling much faster and passing others on blind roadways. Cars today are much faster but when they cross that double line or have a blow out all bets are off.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I opened the thread to see if there was any updates on the accidents....nope....

Just a bunch of men talking politics. Even a few union jabs in there.

Ridiculous, start a new thread. Maybe in a completely different section .

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Not to mention people are overconfident because of the safety features built into cars these days

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I opened the thread to see if there was any updates on the accidents....nope....

Sorry if I goofed up your post.The tragedy of the weekend is horrible.Reasons for this are being discussed.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score

And all are contributing factors to this tragedy. Nothing in here is too far off topic.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I agree its within the topic more or less.
But back and forth tax talk and whats fucked up or not fucked up is all crap we already know.
You guys can continue the discussions. Its my option to open the thread, im think this will be it.

The original topic made its mark on me. No more rice rd this summer. Ive also banned my boys from that route.
Be safe everyone!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Burro lip smear marks on the window:
0AD582FB-09C5-4E93-BBA1-6E55F75D0407.jpeg
We just got on the 10 from Ehrenberg rd
Maybe the 46 mile stretch from Ehrenberg to Desert center has people thinking its longer, damfino.
Seemed more leaisurly, less tense.

The Flying J at the traffic circle had lines onto the street for the cheaper gas.

DLC

Reaction score

Instead of taxing the masses why not tax the Ele cars that use our road for FREE!! Why should I pay for them? I drive gas guzzler’s so I pay more than my fair share....

wzuber

Reaction score
Big thumbs up to u bud jumpin in on the scene!

Indeed RB, good on you to offer whatever assistance you can to those injured. Sometimes, many times, that can be the difference of life or death for someone. Even if not medically trained etc. the human spirit and innate commonsense response can create the thought process, reactions etc. that can/will save a life or mean the difference in quality of life after a major incident such as this. I'm sure those involved respect and appreciate your efforts. I, as well as others here certainly do.

Taboma

Reaction score
I certainly remember both those roads. My dad called it the canyon rd and his shop was in Costa Mesa so we traveled that section of the then to be 55 a lot. Remember the old fish smokehouse down that way????
Yes I do remember it :) growing up in Tustin it was amazing (And depressing) watching that entire area and corridor explode with growth.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I agree its within the topic more or less.
But back and forth tax talk and whats fucked up or not fucked up is all crap we already know.
You guys can continue the discussions. Its my option to open the thread, im think this will be it.

The original topic made its mark on me. No more rice rd this summer. Ive also banned my boys from that route.
Be safe everyone!
What are your feelings about repealing SB1?? Do you think that tax will fund the widening of Rte's 177 and 62 amoungst others?

riverroyal

Reaction score
What are your feelings about repealing SB1?? Do you think that tax will fund the widening of Rte's 177 and 62 amoungst others?
I see what your doing here zig. Pulling me in....
I will answer since it’s you
It will not widen that road, even if it does it won’t matter. Roads dont kill people, people driving kill people. Fixing roads and taxes will never stop bad choices

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I see what your doing here zig. Pulling me in....
I will answer since it’s you
It will not widen that road, even if it does it won’t matter. Roads dont kill people, people driving kill people. Fixing roads and taxes will never stop bad choices
In one paragraph you summed it up perfectly without politics or prejudice, just simple truths.:)
Fact is many drivers don't take driving serious enough.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
People are stupid. An extra lane each direction wouldn't make things worse.

jones performance

Reaction score
my first trip to the river via rice road in 1995, was blown away that it was basically 2 lanes of vehicles all headed towards vidal at 100mph plus. occasionally everyone would tuck back into the lane for an oncoming car, then right back out in opposite lane and hauling ass craziest shit id ever seen in my life at that point.

i honestly dont think anything can be done to change the crashes on rice road. its not a road problem its a people problem.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
On the way home passed another head on on rice. People were driving like assholes. [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy fuck. On Rice again????

OC was out there this weekend too. We were talking about you. Sure do hope you're ok.

gmnhra

Reaction score
I agree that widening rice road to 4 lanes would seem to be a solution to reduce the death toll...However, it would be interesting to look at statistics for the stretch of 395 between Adelanto and the connection to the 14..
That stretch was deadly and they at least widened some sections and made them NO PASSING zones....

I wonder if that made any difference in major accidents or deaths..

probably not...people still drive like aholes..

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
I agree that widening rice road to 4 lanes would seem to be a solution to reduce the death toll...However, it would be interesting to look at statistics for the stretch of 395 between Adelanto and the connection to the 14..
That stretch was deadly and they at least widened some sections and made them NO PASSING zones....

I wonder if that made any difference in major accidents or deaths..

probably not...people still drive like aholes..

I believe divided highway would reduce the severe accidents. Even as little as a real shoulder might help. People will always drive like assholes but this roadway seems to make even 95 year old grandmothers play race car driver. Tax money is there. Pensions and illegals take it all though.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I believe divided highway would reduce the severe accidents. Even as little as a real shoulder might help. People will always drive like assholes but this roadway seems to make even 95 year old grandmothers play race car driver. Tax money is there. Pensions and illegals take it all though.

There is not enough demand on the road to warrant expanding it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
There is not enough demand on the road to warrant expanding it.

Exactly...

On my trips out there, I'm lucky if I see one or two cars. Most of the time that road is empty.

Anyone know what happened to the guy that survived?

Was he the driver that caused the whole mess?