WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time to clean up the gel...what product?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
My "new" lavey looks like shit after sitting outside uncovered for a couple months while I've been working on the transom. Other boats I've had weren't worth washing, let along polishing / waxing...so I'm wondering what to use?

I have plenty of automotive compound and wax...is there any real advantage to using marine/fiberglass specific products?

I'll be using a pnuematic buffer...I tried a spot last night and it doesn't seem to need any color sanding.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I just try to make sure the wax has some sort of UV protection in it.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I've used this stuff followed up with Adams Buttery wax using a Porter Cable 7424

MBW10916-2T.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 229

MohavValley

Reaction score
If you have gel coat, don't use petroleum based products, they don't last very long and you'll constantly be redoing it every couple months. If you have paint & clear coat petroleum products work great. From your post that it's only been out side a couple months I'm assuming it's gel coat with petrolum products used previously.

If you got gel:
Wet sand 800 to 2,000 depending on how bad it is and if it needs it.
If you wet sand to 1,500 follow it with aqua buff 1,000F or presta super cut
If you wet sand it to 2,000 you can start with presta gel coat compound and if it takes the scratches or your good.
Next is presta chroma ultimate polish
Sealer wax, I like colonite products their 845 is awesome onclear coats BUT it's petrol based so look for one of there non petrol based sealers, maybe 925 and I think there is one more.

If it's not that bad, you could start with thegel coat compound and/or the polish and then seal it. Always start with the least aggressive and if it isn't working then go more aggressive.

Post up since pics of your results what ever you end up doing.

Last edited:

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
F all that wet sanding go to autogeek and get some Marine 31 compound or the whole kit with polish and sealant. Mike Phillips played major part in the formulation based on his years at Meguirs and other big names. He is the absolute authority on everything detail, restoration and protection. He conducts classes and is a paid consultant for many companies. Autogeek has a cool forum with lots to learn and Mike chimes in regularly to help which is priceless. I will snap pics on my 93 Centurion family hauler that looks showroom with a harbor freight buffer, good pads and Marine 31. I followed up with collonite because it's what I had and that stuff flat out works. I did just tackle a friend's boat with Griot's Compound (regular auto version) which is easily obtainable at AutoZone and it worked great. Get lots of pads if your doing a good job they will cake up quick with oxidation which is a good thing

wzuber

Reaction score
F all that wet sanding go to autogeek and get some Marine 31 compound or the whole kit with polish and sealant. Mike Phillips played major part in the formulation based on his years at Meguirs and other big names. He is the absolute authority on everything detail, restoration and protection. He conducts classes and is a paid consultant for many companies. Autogeek has a cool forum with lots to learn and Mike chimes in regularly to help which is priceless. I will snap pics on my 93 Centurion family hauler that looks showroom with a harbor freight buffer, good pads and Marine 31. I followed up with collonite because it's what I had and that stuff flat out works. I did just tackle a friend's boat with Griot's Compound (regular auto version) which is easily obtainable at AutoZone and it worked great. Get lots of pads if your doing a good job they will cake up quick with oxidation which is a good thing
pads can be cleaned with compressed air needle type nozzle after every pass or as needed depending on severity of oxidization build up on pad. it's quick, essy and very effective and prevents micro scratching from dirty compound pads.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
pads can be cleaned with compressed air needle type nozzle after every pass or as needed depending on severity of oxidization build up on pad. it's quick, essy and very effective and prevents micro scratching from dirty compound pads.
True, I go through a bunch because they tend to get pretty hot