WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thinking of selling my Baker Modvp

Nielmcque

Reaction score
20180218_155252.jpg
20170824_104954.jpg
20180324_114519.jpg
After haveing some bad luck with motors I'm thinking of selling my 86 Baker modvp. At the beginning of the season my original mariner 220efi developed low compression on one cylinder so I bought a rebuilt carbed Bridgeport powerhead that I put some professionally rebuilt wh46 carbs on after about 6 hrs runtime a piston let go. So I'm thinking of putting the 220 back on and cutting my losses and looking for something different. The boats in pretty decent shape I have put a bunch of work into it since I bought it last year. New Bob's jack plate new bilge pumps pop up cleats straitened out some electrical cut and buffed the top deck new stereo. Any one inerested?
20180218_160416.jpg

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Yes I bought it from Greg in Redondo beach. I dont really know what to ask for it I have put alot more in it then I'll probably ever get back. Trailer has new tires and new led lights also.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yes I bought it from Greg in Redondo beach. I dont really know what to ask for it I have put alot more in it then I'll probably ever get back. Trailer has new tires and new led lights also.

I used to race with Greg and looked at buying it a few years ago for a race boat. I would be interested in it without a engine or with the blown up one. pm me your price for just the boat and trailer please, thx, Walt

gqchris

Reaction score
Have you looked on Scream and Fly for a motor? There are a few good options for a lower priced older engine on there. I am restoring my Baker now as we type. Definately not cheap to do it right! I figure I will keep mine for many years once done.

gqchris

Reaction score
Have you looked at Scream and Fly for some good older used motor options? I have seen a few on there.

I am in Process of restoring my Baker also. Its definitely not a cheap process, but I plan to keep mine for years once she is done.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Have you looked on Scream and Fly for a motor? There are a few good options for a lower priced older engine on there. I am restoring my Baker now as we type. Definately not cheap to do it right! I figure I will keep mine for many years once done.

Yes that is where i found the bridgeport i ran on it for a very short time. I just dont know if i want to spend more money on it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A couple of my friends owned that Baker for a little bit. Bob Micheletti had it for quiet a few years then gave it/sold it (not sure which) to his son Bobby (member here). Then my other buddy Kevin bought it and was just too unfamiliar with Outboards and didn't want to deal with it so sold it I believe to that guy Greg cause he said something about the guy that bought it being from the south bay area. These pictures were from it's Maiden voage with my buddy Kevin at Castaic back in 2011.
22194.jpeg
22195.jpeg
22193.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Have you looked at Scream and Fly for some good older used motor options? I have seen a few on there.

I am in Process of restoring my Baker also. Its definitely not a cheap process, but I plan to keep mine for years once she is done.

I thought I would keep mine for a long time too. Just getting tired of it breaking or not running everytime I take it out. I should of just had my old motor fully rebuilt instead of buying a Bridgeport power head now I have 2 busted motors

gqchris

Reaction score
I thought I would keep mine for a long time too. Just getting tired of it breaking or not running everytime I take it out. I should of just had my old motor fully rebuilt instead of buying a Bridgeport power head now I have 2 busted motors
I totally understand the feeling. I have had some boats that I just wasnt feeling the love and had to move on. Great looking float. The beauty and curse of outboard boats is the money is all in the motor. But it also makes it so easy to swap put and back on the water!

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I totally understand the feeling. I have had some boats that I just wasnt feeling the love and had to move on. Great looking float. The beauty and curse of outboard boats is the money is all in the motor. But it also makes it so easy to swap put and back on the water!

Yeah Im torn between finding a complete 2.5 to put on it and run it a little then sell or just cut my loses and sell now i like the boat but kinda want some thing a little bigger and a little faster. And thank you its not bad to bad for an 86.

gqchris

Reaction score
Yeah Im torn between finding a complete 2.5 to put on it and run it a little then sell or just cut my loses and sell now i like the boat but kinda want some thing a little bigger and a little faster. And thank you its not bad to bad for an 86.

Yes the hard work is done. You already have it rigged for a Merc. If the rest of the boat is solid, I would look for a 2.5 if you want to keep it. Guess it depends how and where you do most of your boating.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
It's great on the river. I got it out on havasu last Saturday it was a little rough

gqchris

Reaction score
It's great on the river. I got it out on havasu last Saturday it was a little rough
Yea I only plan on using mine at the river or weekdays Havasu on a nice day. I actually only been to lower river once. Need to explore that area more.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I've done the Blythe, ahaquin, and Palo verde areas the jack plate helps there are some pretty shallow spots especially if you go on a day when there isn't much water flowing. But the plus side is not alot of choppy water

flying finn

Reaction score
This is the notorious Greg here, previous owner of what it seems a long list of owners. Great to see you have fixed up the boat. It is a solid boat. Fix the motor or get another motor. You won't find another boat like it. Every boat takes money to keep it going. For all you outboard boys, we will be running the Classic Mod VP class at Long Beach Marine Stadium Race August 4 and 5. 2 liter class and 2.4/2.5 class also. I will be running the GMT. We could have 8 boats running. Not to late to sign up. SCSC. Always could use some help in the pits.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I've got an early carbed 200...needs carbs and maybe some electrics, but the block is in good shape. $500 in Long Beach.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I've got an early carbed 200...needs carbs and maybe some electrics, but the block is in good shape. $500 in Long Beach.
I'd really like to find a 2.5 liter with efi. But I might be interested if I could move the efi and electronics from my old motor over. What year? What's the compression numbers? I work near long beach often so it wouldn't be hard to arrange somewhere to pick it up.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'd really like to find a 2.5 liter with efi. But I might be interested if I could move the efi and electronics from my old motor over. What year? What's the compression numbers? I work near long beach often so it wouldn't be hard to arrange somewhere to pick it up.

I'm not sure what the compression numbers are...haven't checked them in a while, but i just pulled it off a boat to swap on something oil injected for a buddy who didn't want to deal with premixing. I'm pretty sure it's a 1980. Edit...it's just a powerhead, no mid or lower.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Flying_lavey looks like you guys were having fun
We we're. In between bailing it out as the bilge pumps weren't working and we found the top of the passenger side tunnel towards the rear had a 0retty good crack in it. We pulled the boat back on the trailer and my buddy did a fiberglass fix. Said it stopped leaking after that. Then he had engine issues with it and sold it.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
We we're. In between bailing it out as the bilge pumps weren't working and we found the top of the passenger side tunnel towards the rear had a 0retty good crack in it. We pulled the boat back on the trailer and my buddy did a fiberglass fix. Said it stopped leaking after that. Then he had engine issues with it and sold it.

Yeah the tunnel still leaked when I first got it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yeah the tunnel still leaked when I first got it.
Not too surprising. It was an ongoing issue for a few years it seems. Did you get it solved correctly finally?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Anyone have a 2.5 200 efi or 2.4 200 powerhead for sale