Major accident rice road. Head on.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Even I-10 is empty:cool:
20180704_195326.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
defensive driving helps alot I feel, regardless which road I'm traveling. I keep watch behind and in front of me as much as possible. I watch and anticipate what I think that car hauling ass might want to do (keep hauling ass? yup) where's he going to go? Dodge between me and the car 2 car length's in front of me? (freeway traffic cond.) I look for where I can go to remove myself from their trajectory or brake to increase spacial distance etc. On rice type roads specifically I watch the r. v. mirror specifically for passers and look ahead for oncoming vehicles, how many and how far out etc. I look at it as if I were to be passing etc. could I make it safely, easily? If yes, then I chill. If I don't think so, depending on the circumstance I will hit my brakes, hard if necessary to reduce time to pass etc., If/when I deem necessary, and can be done safely, I will cover the center lane and block the passer. I'm not willing to let some ricky racer J.A. with bad judgement put my or my families/passengers life in jeopardy. I have yet to defend myself at the next stop sign etc. Typically, they may be angry initially but that seems to dissipate quickly when the big rig, moho or truck and boat trailer go by and they realize why I did what I did and were both alive and well as a result.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
defensive driving helps alot I feel, regardless which road I'm traveling. I keep watch behind and in front of me as much as possible. I watch and anticipate what I think that car hauling ass might want to do (keep hauling ass? yup) where's he going to go? Dodge between me and the car 2 car length's in front of me? (freeway traffic cond.) I look for where I can go to remove myself from their trajectory or brake to increase spacial distance etc. On rice type roads specifically I watch the r. v. mirror specifically for passers and look ahead for oncoming vehicles, how many and how far out etc. I look at it as if I were to be passing etc. could I make it safely, easily? If yes, then I chill. If I don't think so, depending on the circumstance I will hit my brakes, hard if necessary to reduce time to pass etc., If/when I deem necessary, and can be done safely, I will cover the center lane and block the passer. I'm not willing to let some ricky racer J.A. with bad judgement put my or my families/passengers life in jeopardy. I have yet to defend myself at the next stop sign etc. Typically, they may be angry initially but that seems to dissipate quickly when the big rig, moho or truck and boat trailer go by and they realize why I did what I did and were both alive and well as a result.

Certainly an autonomous car will do all of that for you!

wzuber

Reaction score
Certainly an autonomous car will do all of that for you!
And they tow boats too??? how awesome is that?...then I can just sit back, smoke dope, drink J.D. and get a hummer all while "the car" does all the driving duties and I/we arrive safely with a most happy ending. Can't wait, where do I buy one? :eek::rolleyes::D

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did anyone see the head on crash in Palmdale, 4 lane highway. It’s not rice road that’s the problem. It can happen anywhere.
2 young girls possibly twins was reported. Sad deal little ones just passengers nothing they could do.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
We drove home yesterday about 10am. Originally was going to go down AZ side through ehrenwhatever, until google said it was going to be 1.5 hours longer. Turned around, braved Rice RD and made it. There was light traffic. I had it set at 55 and both hands ready for some dumbazz to attempt to pass and sure enough two times I had to turn on high beams and hold the horn. Also a motorhome doing maybe 50mph up a small hill attempted to pull "to the side" to let me pass right before a blind double yellow line curve. Again, hold down horn and had to stop before he pulled off the road completely.

Cliff notes: people are stupid. Its not anyones fault but those behind the wheel. Not CHP, not the road, not the conditions... just dumb decisions being made.

Springfield

Reaction score
So once again, what is the prefered route coming from North OC?

Taboma

Reaction score
We drove home yesterday about 10am. Originally was going to go down AZ side through ehrenwhatever, until google said it was going to be 1.5 hours longer. Turned around, braved Rice RD and made it. There was light traffic. I had it set at 55 and both hands ready for some dumbazz to attempt to pass and sure enough two times I had to turn on high beams and hold the horn. Also a motorhome doing maybe 50mph up a small hill attempted to pull "to the side" to let me pass right before a blind double yellow line curve. Again, hold down horn and had to stop before he pulled off the road completely.

Cliff notes: people are stupid. Its not anyones fault but those behind the wheel. Not CHP, not the road, not the conditions... just dumb decisions being made.

Yeah, 1.5 hours longer is Google being optimistic, usually much longer :rolleyes: (Do you know, Google accepts payoffs ?) :p

Springfield

Reaction score
Dang, we stopped going that way years ago due to constant freeway construction and closed lanes on 40, Barstow/Vegas parking lot and not to forget the 15 north to get to Barstow. Just got addicted to Rice Road but then I run on off times, no Friday nights or Sunday eves.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Yeah, 1.5 hours longer is Google being optimistic, usually much longer :rolleyes: (Do you know, Google accepts payoffs ?) :p
Going the Indian Rd is 1 1/2 hrs longer than Rice Rd to the 10?????? Did I miss something here??

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Dang, we stopped going that way years ago due to constant freeway construction and closed lanes on 40, Barstow/Vegas parking lot and not to forget the 15 north to get to Barstow. Just got addicted to Rice Road but then I run on off times, no Friday nights or Sunday eves.
No road work being done at this time.Give cal trans another month to fuck it back up.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
For official publication, yes, absolutely ;)
Google calculates drive times based on the roadways speed limits as well.
I hear you guys saying your driving 65 there but isn't the majority of the road actually a posted 55mph limit with some 35 zones tossed in here/there?

Taboma

Reaction score
Google calculates drive times based on the roadways speed limits as well.
I hear you guys saying your driving 65 there but isn't the majority of the road actually a posted 55mph limit with some 35 zones tossed in here/there?
Correct -- posted 55, then 35 areas and even a 15 school area in Ehrenberg --- and in Ehrenberg proper, you best watch your speedo carefully.
We're working hard here to broadcast negative vibes, like Ehrenberg is closed kinda thing. I've written Google to see what it would cost to have Hwy 1 removed from their mapping ;)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Correct -- posted 55, then 35 areas and even a 15 school area in Ehrenberg --- and in Ehrenberg proper, you best watch your speedo carefully.
We're working hard here to broadcast negative vibes, like Ehrenberg is closed kinda thing. I've written Google to see what it would cost to have Hwy 1 removed from their mapping ;)
Yeah, doesn't sound like it's for me;) I might fall asleep at wheel driving 15.
Being I have no desire to visit the crit traffic Chief the handfull of times I've gone this way I followed the posted speeds to the T, slow, boring, butterfly infested route to take. I don't recommend it.;) Your radiator always needs a good cleaning afterwards :p

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah, doesn't sound like it's for me;) I might fall asleep at wheel driving 15.
Being I have no desire to visit the crit traffic Chief the handfull of times I've gone this way I followed the posted speeds to the T, slow, boring, butterfly infested route to take. I don't recommend it.;) Your radiator always needs a good cleaning afterwards :p

Now you've got the right idea
thumbs up.png

nicole

Reaction score
Just saw a video on RW facebook from a guy driving by....not good, but at least the woman in one of the cars was alive and moving
Do you know what RW is so I can look it up on Facebook? Thank you in advanced

NicPaus

Reaction score
Thank you. My friend was one of the girls who passed away :(
I had a few River Neighbors drive by the scene. If there is anything you want me to ask. Was she the passenger in the truck?

Wayn-o

Reaction score
We were stopped on Rice Road yesterday East of the double RR tracks a few miles about 11 AM. Chopper was lifting off as we sat there. Cars coming back said anther fatal accident. Had to go back to Vidal and down the 95 to the 10. Not sure if it was a head on or someone just lost it off the road. Either way, pretty sad to lose several people in a few weeks

River Runnin

Reaction score
This is un fucking real!...I'm lucky to see 1/2 a dozen rigs on ANY day I've driven and drive it! :confused:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
For nearly 30 years we've been driving Rice or Erhenberg to and from So Cal. Tried I40 over the 4th of July and liked it. Even though we live in extreme south LHC, looks like that will be our choice of route.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
https://kmir.com/2018/07/19/dui-man...d-against-19-year-old-for-double-fatal-crash/
Not to dredge up anything but I just found this....we are still dealing with the wake of this accident. but the driver, Austin, is fucked.

Thank you. I was hoping to read something like this. Hopefully he spends the rest of his life in prison.

I really wish he would get the death penalty and electrocuted, but the liberals will have none of that.

Those poor families. My heart aches. :(

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Thank you. I was hoping to read something like this. Hopefully he spends the rest of his life in prison.

I really wish he would get the death penalty and electrocuted, but the liberals will have none of that.

Those poor families. My heart aches. :(
Thanks RM....I think he is looking at 40 years, he also has a record, and this will be his 3rd DUI....I have no sympathy for that guy.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Thanks RM....I think he is looking at 40 years, he also has a record, and this will be his 3rd DUI....I have no sympathy for that guy.
Wtf? I can only assume the passengers were partying like the driver cuz any reasonable sober occupant would have said something or taken the wheel.
So sad how many lives were ruined by one person:(

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Wtf? I can only assume the passengers were partying like the driver cuz any reasonable sober occupant would have said something or taken the wheel.
So sad how many lives were ruined by one person:(
I guess Mariah was asleep, and Samantha could not grab the wheel quickly enough. and yes they were all unfortunately not sober...like I say Sam and Mariah were pretty much asleep or passed out when the accident occurred..

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Third DUI at 19? His parents should be jailed as well for raising a fucktard.
well his dad died when he was young, I never knew him, and mom did what she could, I know his mother personally, and she is about the only good person in that whole family circus up there in Anza. I knew that kid was not looking to become something more in life than a fucking idiot, and advised my daughter accordingly, and 3 months later she dumped his stupid ass, and for that I am thankful, because now here the situation has played out much to my own horror, as I felt it would, only I didn't think he would fuck up this badly...and it cost the lives of 2 people, one of which we knew personally, and sadly didn't get to live out her life...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
well his dad died when he was young, I never knew him, and mom did what she could, I know his mother personally, and she is about the only good person in that whole family circus up there in Anza. I knew that kid was not looking to become something more in life than a fucking idiot, and advised my daughter accordingly, and 3 months later she dumped his stupid ass, and for that I am thankful, because now here the situation has played out much to my own horror, as I felt it would, only I didn't think he would fuck up this badly...and it cost the lives of 2 people, one of which we knew personally, and sadly didn't get to live out her life...

As bad as that sucks, I still have no sympathy for him. The mom must be a complete wreck right now, not the life she imagined me thinks.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Who were they headed to the river to continue this party with ? Very sad for the innocent person headed away from the river .

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Glad you got your daughter out of that mess

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Who were they headed to the river to continue this party with ? Very sad for the innocent person headed away from the river .
I have no idea, I am bummed that they decided to go to the river with him....