WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This sux Video: I bought this guy a drink:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was at the Oak n Ivy bar located in a air conditioned shipping container in 'Vegas. One of the guys in the video (helping the "victim") came in and I bought him and his GF a drink:

His GF ordered a Burnt Caramel Apple Cocktail:

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ouch.....
They told me the spines had hooks on the ends.
He rolled his ATV into the cactus.

The Oak n Ivy bar is air conditioned and inside a shipping container. 113F outside.
Fun place to drink and meet people.
We rode the bus back to camp.
Got a HUGE veterans discount off the bar bill.

Two Blocks away is the Atomic Liquor Store.
Was the last Liquor store in Vegas that also had a bar.

Christians go to Jerusalem, Jews to the Wailing wall, Muslims to Mecca,, us drunks went to the Atomic Liquor store.
No dive bar on earth could touch it though they tried to default to it's bottom of s#it street status.
Bartender passed out behind the bar, chix shooting up in the men's restroom, people one paycheck away from disaster drinking next to millionaires and sports figures and local no talent stars named Joey Cheezy and Nick Naugahyde..

I'd buy a round of $1 PBR's in horsecoc# cans and was a hero,,,,, for 20 minutes. The best 20 minutes of my life.

Some guy bought it and turned it into a Martini bar and it just isn't the same. A dress code????,,, at the Atomic????? NFW.

Last edited:

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I wont even walk near a jumping cholla cactus.

I've heard those things will even drop a spiked ball when they feel a vibration in the soil.

This golfer got a similar fate:

Cholla-Golfter.jpg

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
These guys were all infantry Marines fought in all our battles in the past decade.

Bits of the cactus spines remain in the wound and will bring on infection so an ER trip is essential.
They have VA hospital privileges and say the Vegas VA sux.

I gave them advise how to navigate the VA for next time and I think they’ll use it.
Trump recently signed a law Veterans can get treatment at private hospitals BTW.

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Crap man that hurts just looking at.

When I was 12, I had just got my first hunting license and passed the deal to get a rifle. Dad bought me a Remington .243 and my first season we divided trips between the Frazier Park area and up Angeles Crest Hwy someplace.
On one of the trips up Angeles Crest I slipped and got a sharp ended thing from a plant into my hand. Didn't think much of it, Dad got out with his pocket knife.
About 30 min later my hand had swollen up about twice its normal size and other than hurting like a mofo it was numb...completely numb.
We walked back to the truck and by the time we got there I was sorta woozy. Down the hill we went, stopped at the first gas station with a pay phone and he called a hospital (pre 911 mind you) and we were only about 5 min away. By now the swelling was up into my wrist and I was a little loopy.
Into ER. This is 1970....
I don't remember much after that for about 5 hours, they cranked antibiotics in me. and dug around in my hand for awhile. I remember them bugging my Dad endlessly about what plant it was, that there was not anything in the Angeles National Forest that could do this to my hand...they kinda called him a liar, and that...with my Dad, was tantamount a declaration of war. He offered to take a doc or someone up the hill and show them the plant, or he could go get a chunk of it and bring it back and shove it up somone's ass...LOL
Mom arrived, calmed him down, I was responding quickly to the IV stuff and I asked the usual what happened where am I questions.
I spent the night.
They never did figure out what poked me.
We spent the rest of the season hunting the Frazier Park area, LOL.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was at my local dive bar and a mystery pkg arrived for the bartender

I looked at the empty box later - was sent from the Las Vegas love Store.

Last edited: