WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Head on at Topoc?

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
OMG i just found out who one of the missing girls is, i'm going to be sick, this is so fuced up

2Driver

Reaction score
Lol. Stephenatsea Long response without an answer?

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Lol. Long response without an answer?

Underway is under power, or free floating, that means your 120 degree each red/green, and 360 degree white. If securely anchored then white only is fine.

2Driver

Reaction score
Some asked for my input, so here it is.

Navigation lights are required from sunset to sunrise and in periods of reduced visibility whenever a vessel is:

1. UNDERWAY: (not moored, anchored or aground) - Red/Green forward lights and all around white light. (can be a split mast-light and stern light)
Drifting with propulsion off is UNDERWAY. Anchor deployed, but dragging, is UNDERWAY

2. ANCHORED: 360 degree white light on single pole/mount (cannot be split, as above)

And I agree. There is no "gray area". If you consider yourself a boater and don't know this, one of the most basic requirements, then STAY ON THE FUCKING BEACH!

View attachment 679252

Thanks

I took underway as under power able to move. Guess thats incorrect? LOL guess ill stay on the fucking beach

The real issue I had was confusing a off power floating boat in the dark with bow lights on, that, if it is floating exhibiting the green bow light and not giving way then the boat can appear to not be giving way and heading into you until you get close enough to determined they are off power. Seems better if you float power off to do so with a nice tall white stern light.

Last edited:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Thanks

I took underway as under power able to move. Guess thats incorrect? LOL guess ill stay on the fucking beach

The real issue I had was confusing a off power floating boat in the dark with bow lights on, that, if it is floating exhibiting the green bow light and not giving way then the boat can appear to not be giving way and heading into you until you get close enough to determined they are off power. Seems better if you float power off to do so with a nice tall white stern light.

The nice tall white stern light should also be on when the red/green bow lights are on. If you see the red and white light of a boat floating, you know you have to give way, and should go behind it. If you see the green and white, you can proceed. In either case, a collision is avoided if YOU do the correct thing. If you see the red and green and white of another boat, you are on a head to head collision course and both boats should turn to starboard. If the other boat is just drifting and doesn't maneuver, YOUR turn should be sufficient to avoid collision. If you see just the red/green and no white, it indicates a sailing vessel*, and YOU should maneuver to keep clear.

*A sailboat under sail alone will never show a white light forward. However there are always idiots out there who will remove, turn off, or cover the white 360 all-around or mast light, and/or just run with the stern light on and no mast-head light.

In any case, it is EVERY operators responsibility to keep clear of other vessels, no matter who is stand-on or give-way. Too many people forget that the throttle goes back as easily as it goes forward.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
This is the Sleek being pulled up that was the other boat involved. I have been out here on the river all weekend, so sad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180903-142305_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20180903-142305_Facebook.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,268

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The nice tall white stern light should also be on when the red/green bow lights are on. If you see the red and white light of a boat floating, you know you have to give way, and should go behind it. If you see the green and white, you can proceed. In either case, a collision is avoided if YOU do the correct thing. If you see the red and green and white of another boat, you are on a head to head collision course and both boats should turn to starboard. If the other boat is just drifting and doesn't maneuver, YOUR turn should be sufficient to avoid collision. If you see just the red/green and no white, it indicates a sailing vessel*, and YOU should maneuver to keep clear.

*A sailboat under sail alone will never show a white light forward. However there are always idiots out there who will remove, turn off, or cover the white 360 all-around or mast light, and/or just run with the stern light on and no mast-head light.

In any case, it is EVERY operators responsibility to keep clear of other vessels, no matter who is stand-on or give-way. Too many people forget that the throttle goes back as easily as it goes forward.

One night at Parker I was headed up river slowly.

I see red and green lights, but they aren't making sense to me. As I creep up on the lights, I finally figured out its two boats drifting together.

Never know what you'll find at night...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
One night at Parker I was headed up river slowly.

I see red and green lights, but they aren't making sense to me. As I creep up on the lights, I finally figured out its two boats drifting together.

Never know what you'll find at night...

You were just drunk :)

J/k

OceansideRide

Reaction score
Usually a lurker on the board. ....We know one of the families. Unfortunately, they have most likely lost their beautiful kind loving go getter of a daughter who was close to perfect as you can get. I'm sure the other 3 victims are just as outstanding. A mom, a father, a daughter, members of communities and close circles of people who will feel their loss deeply.. These losses are heartbreaking. Unfortunately this is the second multi fatality accident on the Colorado where we have known victims closely, and it's been young people both times.

We have heard nothing of any details that are concrete enough to be stated as fact, just that the scene was sheer chaos and everyone was in shock and couldn't communicate clearly as to who was on the boat, due to injuries, confusion, terror , etc. Lots of people racing to the scene to help, including my sister in law and her family who were staying on the peninsula and heard the crash.

Latest article posted. I am hoping to the universe that activities before the crash that are mentioned in the article are blatantly false.

https://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/s...s-two-boat-collision-four-missing/1183359002/

boatpi

Reaction score
And other news report says the boats owners (Brian) wife is the one in the hospital, he is among the missing. Brian is an oculorist, and a pillar of the community.
The lady found is the step daughter of the former Tulare County Sheriff. Sounds like just great people.

Just tragic.

Last edited:

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Wow, I hope really that isnt the case. Really hate reading this. Best to all involved.

OceansideRide

Reaction score
The volume of misinformation being released and posted since the accident is astounding, more than usual.
Very true.
Even the name of the nurse pulled from the water this a.m. was reported incorrectly. Due to the changing info, I'm unwilling to even count my friends daughter as expired, just a missing victim. Thsts why I wrote " most likely lost ".

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Very true.
Even the name of the nurse pulled from the water this a.m. was reported incorrectly. Due to the changing info, I'm unwilling to even count my friends daughter as expired, just a missing victim. Thsts why I wrote " most likely lost ".
Salt lake news and yahoo are reporting the same ABC to

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
If you look at Tulare county news it is a good source. A go find me page is even listed by one of the grieving mothers.

OceansideRide

Reaction score
If you look at Tulare county news it is a good source. A go find me page is even listed by one of the grieving mothers.
I can tell you that Den didn't post the GoFundMe. In fact, I'm not sure who the individual is that created it. Being that I am not familiar with the rules of GFM, and if just anyone can post claiming that the money goes to the individual, and cant be funneled to a dishonest person, I dont as a rule contribute to them. I send $ money direct, but that's just how we operate. I do know that K****s mom didnt post that. Shes not in that mode right now.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I can tell you that Den didn't post the GoFundMe. In fact, I'm not sure who the individual is that created it. Being that I am not familiar with the rules of GFM, and if just anyone can post claiming that the money goes to the individual, and cant be funneled to a dishonest person, I dont as a rule contribute to them. I send $ money direct, but that's just how we operate. I do know that K****s mom didnt post that. Shes not in that mode right now.

Prayers for your friends, buddy. [emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you are anchored or floating you should only have your white light on. This is why the white light is supposed to be in clear 360 view and the tallest part on the boat, not hidden behind your guests, bimini or tower.

Red and green lights “on” mean you are under power and when viewed in direct sight you cant always tell if the boat is moving or not but if you see them you have the expectation the operator wll be giving way to some degree. If you see only the white nav light, it lets you know you have to give way and the white light boat is the stand on.

Its all great but how many people at thre river know the night nav rules. I bet if you ask: do you pass red to red or green to green you will get a 50-50 answer lol or be asked, what are you talking about

If you are floating, technically you are "underway" and should have red / green and 360 white. If you are anchored and not "underway" is when it's just the 360.

Edit - Sorry just saw this has been gone over several times now.

RD

Last edited:

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Yeah, the Daily Mail is a United Kingdom news deal, everything is like gossip , complete sensationalism. They have a waay different culture

Agree this article is inappropriate. The visalia times delta article is also doing its normal thing and putting its assumptions in the article as facts.

I know one of the missing and have met the diseased a couple of times. They are more friends of friends but know that they are good people and respected in our community. Rip!

2Driver

Reaction score
If you are floating, technically you are "underway" and should have red / green and 360 white. If you are anchored and not "underway" is when it's just the 360.

Edit - Sorry just saw this has been gone over several times now.

RD

LOL Yeah I guess I missed the “underway” on the CG test.

Sitting in a still lake, at a dead stop with your engine is off is “underway”. Ha, I think I would answered that wrong in a month of Sundays

Socalx09

Reaction score
I sure hope that daily news article doesn’t make it around, but I know it has. I would hate to see something like that about anyone I know or am close to. It is devasting to see how they choose to portray a tragic accident.

My dad was involved in the suburban vs motorcycle crash on the 95 on Easter Sunday in 2014. Sadly the woman motorcycle driver passed away. I heard so many rumors before I even realized it was my dad and his suburban. Rumors need to stop because there are family members and friends waiting to hear if their loved ones are ok.

Just like the desert storm accident, so many rumors, and misreporting from multiple places. I haven’t read anything and have just been listening to the press releases from the police.

Prayers for all.

4Waters

Reaction score
It's suprising that they have only been able to locate one person with how much time divers have spent in the water, I really hope they find the other 3 tomorrow. It's a crappy job the divers have, I have the upmost respect for them hope the injured diver get well soon.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
This thread is about a tragic accident not about boat lights start a thread about boat lights and nite driving Show a little Respect
Well, with all due respect, its a place to hopefully pass on a lesson that can be taught. This thread is getting a lot of eyes. Many eyes that are out there may not be aware of the dangers that may or may not have played a part in this incident. Im a skydiver, a wheeler, a BASE jumper and a boater. Ive had a fair number of friends of mine killed doing what they loved. There is something to be learned from every unfortunate situation. I fully agree with the folks that have posted that nobody really knows anything at this point. But to discourage a conversation about the importance of knowing the "rules of the water", regardless of what may have happened in this specific situation isnt fair.

Prayers for the families and loved ones impacted by this incident.

OceansideRide

Reaction score
I can confirm that Denise approved the GFM posted that was linked earlier. Funds are to stay in Havasu and get the 3 missing found as fast as possible, also other expenses. Hiring extra dive teams, etc isnt being allowed yet, but the sheriffs and accompanying agencies know what they are doing and all the families can do is trust their guidance, as they are working very hard under tough conditions. They are tireless and motivated and many thanks to them all.

https://www.gofundme.com/6282mu8?viewcontent=126104444

Also , here is another GFM for the Heitzigs. One daughter is missing and the other is injured. Also, approved.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-rae-rae-amp-jo-jo

Chrisi Lewis was recovered this morning. Outstanding woman, and her kids are going to need some assistance.

https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-chrisi-lewis-and-family

As for Brian Grabowski who is also missing, and his wife is in the hospital , there is not a GFM yet that we have seen.

Beyond this, the investigation is ongoing and speculation is just causing serious strife to these families. Sad situation all around .

Last edited:

OceansideRide

Reaction score
Well, with all due respect, its a place to hopefully pass on a lesson that can be taught. This thread is getting a lot of eyes. Many eyes that are out there may not be aware of the dangers that may or may not have played a part in this incident. Im a skydiver, a wheeler, a BASE jumper and a boater. Ive had a fair number of friends of mine killed doing what they loved. There is something to be learned from every unfortunate situation. I fully agree with the folks that have posted that nobody really knows anything at this point. But to discourage a conversation about the importance of knowing the "rules of the water", regardless of what may have happened in this specific situation isnt fair.

I think the poster called for a separate thread to discuss the safety points around boating in the evening.

I don't think anyone on here is saying not to discuss it all. You are correct, everyone can always learn something, and hell, safety on the water should probably come up more often, as more people are getting into boating and we all know what that means.

wishiknew

Reaction score

My intent was to start a different thread about river rules and this tragic loss of life

wishiknew

Reaction score

WOW is all I can say with your 4 posts

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
WOW is all I can say with your 4 posts

Wtf does a post count have to do with anything?

It’s been reported that at least one of the vessels had no lights on. In other reports they are saying both (although that isn’t the word on the street).

As has been displayed at least one very well known member was incorrect about Nav Lights and their usage? It isn’t disrespectful in anyway to have a side bar conversation about proper usage. Especially given the fact that had both operators had lights on there is some chance it wouldn’t have happened at all?

If you want to talk inappropriate take a look at that Daily Mall front page.. I saw that and actually got sick to my stomach.

boatpi

Reaction score
IMG_1200.JPG
If anyone here is intimately connected to one of the victims family's that is expected to remain at University Hospital Las Vegas for an extended period, please contact me if that family needs housing to monitor their loved one. Send me a PM and I will provide my phone number and email so we can discuss details.

I have a luxury home fully furnished that sleeps 10 approximately three minutes away from the University trauma center in Las Vegas. At the moment it's vacant and available.

Using hotels where loved ones is not hospital can be extremely expensive not to mention a good gathering place for other family members coming to visit.

I did the same for a police officer's family that was shot after the mass shooting incident in Las Vegas.

Last edited:

E4L

Reaction score
Such a sad thing to read. I wanted to say my prayers and respect to all families and friends involved and still praying for a positive outcome.

I was boating myself yesterday and I couldn’t believe all the laws being broken and it made me wonder are people uneducated on the laws or are they just lazy? I sat inside a no wake zone yesterday and I would say of the 15 boats that went by 10 were throwing a good size wake. It’s very frustrating to me and with kids swimming very dangerous. I honestly don’t feel safe on the water anymore and changes need to be made.