WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Head on at Topoc?

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Important, true. Some situations suck though.

Kirra is the daughter of my good friend. She sadly lost her life. Her mom and sister are completely torn up. Theres nothing that fixes this pain, and we know, having been through it ourselves.
We've had a paid for cabin at Pirates for a year now for this weekend. We've been really wrenching on what to do, with her best friend still missing. Its unimaginable to be on that water in a lot of ways.
This whole thing is terrible. Every death on the river is, and theres been a lot lately.
"Let your conscience be your guide."
We all deal with emotional situations differently and there is no definitive process for grieving. So don't feel shame or worry what others might think if you feel like going to the river & having a good time. Nothing wrong with that. The sooner everyone gets back on their horse the better they are. Godspeed.
Hud

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Kirra is the daughter of my good friend. She sadly lost her life. Her mom and sister are completely torn up. Theres nothing that fixes this pain, and we know, having been through it ourselves.
We've had a paid for cabin at Pirates for a year now for this weekend. We've been really wrenching on what to do, with her best friend still missing. Its unimaginable to be on that water in a lot of ways.
This whole thing is terrible. Every death on the river is, and theres been a lot lately.

Tough decision.. Personally I would still go if it was me. Ultimately it's going to end up being what you are comfortable with or not.

RD

Rayson1971

Reaction score
We lost my Grandpa in the early 90s to some spree robbers up and down Cali 1 week before we were going to San Felipe fishing. I thought we weren't gonna go and my dad said no grandpa would want us to go. So we did . Brought his spirit with us and had a great fishing trip. I think those lost would want that too. Pour some beer in the water for the ones we've lost , say some words, maybe shed a tear, and don't let it stop your life.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Just thinking how currents go on the river, and everything ends up in the lake, just sad. Cattail isnt too far. Other people with us were saying just go up river and have a beach day past the peninsula. I would call off the whole trip if it was up to me.

Really hoping for some closure for the Heitzigs.
I sincerely hope she is found soon. this is really sad, and I am headed to parker today with a heavy heart, but I had this trip planned too, and I am going to enjoy the River, and keep the deceased in my thoughts. hope you all can enjoy the trip.

kimbalee

Reaction score
and without casting any blame to either boat, how can one not see a stern light in the darkness? Sixteen people on two boats and nobody sees this coming, I have a hard time understanding how this could even happen . My heart goes out to them, but I just am having a hard time grasping what happened. :(

Stereo? Friends of ours from Golden Shores saw the boat earlier and said the girls were dancing on the front of the boat so am assuming they had music playing?

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Sad and tragic. But these accidents happen and will continue to happen. It's life. All that can be done is try our best to be cautious and use common sense. Try our best to expect the unexpected.

Bottom line is to pray for the best while enjoying life to the fullest. In my 67 years I've been close to and seen far far too many tragedies like this one. Learn as we can and comfort everyone we can is all we as humans can do.

Motorsports, boating, horses, swimming, hunting and shooting, bicycles, walking and hiking.....Hell I lost a friend that got hit by lightening in the middle of an evening beer league softball game. Car accidents, plane crashes. It's all part of living life.

PFD, air bags, helmets, rev-limiters, etc. are all things that may or may not help when the wrong time hits the clock.

Just live and take caution. Enjoy each minute we have 'cause no ever knows when the clock runs out

oldschool

Reaction score
Sad and tragic. But these accidents happen and will continue to happen. It's life. All that can be done is try our best to be cautious and use common sense. Try our best to expect the unexpected.

Bottom line is to pray for the best while enjoying life to the fullest. In my 67 years I've been close to and seen far far too many tragedies like this one. Learn as we can and comfort everyone we can is all we as humans can do.

Motorsports, boating, horses, swimming, hunting and shooting, bicycles, walking and hiking.....Hell I lost a friend that got hit by lightening in the middle of an evening beer league softball game. Car accidents, plane crashes. It's all part of living life.

PFD, air bags, helmets, rev-limiters, etc. are all things that may or may not help when the wrong time hits the clock.

Just live and take caution. Enjoy each minute we have 'cause no ever knows when the clock runs out
Well said.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We lost my Grandpa in the early 90s to some spree robbers up and down Cali 1 week before we were going to San Felipe fishing. I thought we weren't gonna go and my dad said no grandpa would want us to go. So we did . Brought his spirit with us and had a great fishing trip. I think those lost would want that too. Pour some beer in the water for the ones we've lost , say some words, maybe shed a tear, and don't let it stop your life.
Well said.
You both echo my sentiments exactly on both topics.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
In lieu of spending time at Pirates, a drive up to Cottonwood Cove, launch and boat to the north. Show your friends some of the amazing beauty of the River/Lake. The scenery and feel of northern Lake Mohave is worlds away from Pirates. Very sorry for your loss.

I neglected to mention Cottonwood Cove is only about an hour and half drive from Pirates.

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score

Go. Be respectful. Remember and toast those who lost their lives.

My best friend lost his life at the river, I know he’d want me to have a good time.

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
A big question here is will this change the way you go forward as far as your boating goes ? So sad, people, friends all enjoying life and this happens

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I saw a lady die right in front of us on Mohave one time. Had a nurse on the boat who tried to save her life but it didn't help except to extend her life a bit so she could say good bye to her husband.

It definitely changed my boating outlook.....you can't forget something like that.

RIP

Slats

Reaction score
I agree. Take them to cottonwood. It’s usually closed. But they opened it up to allow people to enjoy the lake. I’m truly sorry for all the people that have lost people in the water. But. If you passed,would you want your friends to celebrate your life at a place you loved. I would. Just never forget them and be safe

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I saw a lady die right in front of us on Mohave one time. Had a nurse on the boat who tried to save her life but it didn't help except to extend her life a bit so she could say good bye to her husband.

It definitely changed my boating outlook.....you can't forget something like that.

RIP

That’s terrible. What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score

RIP
I remember you telling that story. Gut wrenching to read it, can’t image experiencing in person.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Per the MCSO facebook page 22hrs ago, they have moved the command post to the LHC safety center and will be working from there.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That’s terrible. What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going into Gasoline Alley and the jumping rock to the left as you enter was very busy. Boats and bodies everywhere. We were coming in very slowly and as we were there was a boat on our side that was in the way. He jumped into the drivers seat, never looked back and started backing up. It was kind of a perfect storm kind of deal but this lady jumps in and goes under water at the exact time he jumped into the drivers seat to cross over to the jumping rock. We tried yelling to him but I guess he couldn't hear us....threw it into reverse and we just knew it was going to be bad. They hit her under water and my girlfriend at the time jumped in immediately and swam over there. The driver of the boat was totally sober (found out later) and was stunned and didn't know what to do. My GF went under water and pulled that lady out with one arm and brought her onto the guys swim step and you could see her severed leg. Its was crazy to see my GF just yank her out like that. She was a strong girl but it was all adrenaline. We were trying to get everybody to clear out as we knew they were going to have to get out of there fast. My GF best friend was a nurse and she also jumped in to follow. She asked the ranger who came in for a tourniquet but they didn't carry stuff like that. The nurse tried to work on her as they sprinted to Katherines but they could not save her. She totally bled out. She was however able to say good bye to her husband. If my GF wouldn't have jumped in like that she would have just drowned under water and never had that chance at a last good bye. Sad deal all around and it definitely changed my boating patterns or whatever you want to call it. For about 3-4 years I literally boated almost every single day on Mohave. I have never seen anything quite like that before or since. Horrible.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Going into Gasoline Alley and the jumping rock to the left as you enter was very busy. Boats and bodies everywhere. We were coming in very slowly and as we were there was a boat on our side that was in the way. He jumped into the drivers seat, never looked back and started backing up. It was kind of a perfect storm kind of deal but this lady jumps in and goes under water at the exact time he jumped into the drivers seat to cross over to the jumping rock. We tried yelling to him but I guess he couldn't hear us....threw it into reverse and we just knew it was going to be bad. They hit her under water and my girlfriend at the time jumped in immediately and swam over there. The driver of the boat was totally sober (found out later) and was stunned and didn't know what to do. My GF went under water and pulled that lady out with one arm and brought her onto the guys swim step and you could see her severed leg. Its was crazy to see my GF just yank her out like that. She was a strong girl but it was all adrenaline. We were trying to get everybody to clear out as we knew they were going to have to get out of there fast. My GF best friend was a nurse and she also jumped in to follow. She asked the ranger who came in for a tourniquet but they didn't carry stuff like that. The nurse tried to work on her as they sprinted to Katherines but they could not save her. She totally bled out. She was however able to say good bye to her husband. If my GF wouldn't have jumped in like that she would have just drowned under water and never had that chance at a last good bye. Sad deal all around and it definitely changed my boating patterns or whatever you want to call it. For about 3-4 years I literally boated almost every single day on Mohave. I have never seen anything quite like that before or since. Horrible.

It crasy how trained professionals just spring into action when the shit hits the fan....a trailer camped next to us in glamis exploded one night, the woman inside came walking out completely on fire with her skin peeled off. My wife is a nurse and just took charge and saved her life I was blown away, intubated her, etc., never had seen that side of her before. I like many others there at the time we’re just frozen.

wallnutz

Reaction score
It crasy how trained professionals just spring into action when the shit hits the fan....a trailer camped next to us in glamis exploded one night, the woman inside came walking out completely on fire with her skin peeled off. My wife is a nurse and just took charge and saved her life I was blown away, intubated her, etc., never had seen that side of her before. I like many others there at the time we’re just frozen.
I remember when that happened .

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This accident happened where we (my family) launch, and in the general area where we play. I was talking it over with my wife, and I haven't a clue how I'd have responded. Now, both my wife and I are strong swimmers, did all the lifeguard stuff as youngsters, etc. I have some decent trauma type training, and have been witness to some severe auto accidents where I just acted in response, to stop bleeding or stabilize injured. I do good until the medics show up and take over, then the adrenaline stops and I want to puke. Water ads a whole different aspect. Bleeding is bleeding, try to slow it as best you can. Spinal injuries though...a person needs to breath, but you could do harm by rotating them. Made me realize I need to learn more. I know we never want it to happen, but obviously it can. We as boaters are the first responders. The people in the accident are at the scene before medics know they are needed.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Crazy story. I usually have a couple tourniquets on board with me where I ever go. Probably could have saved her life it was applied in time.

rrrr

Reaction score
Crazy story. I usually have a couple tourniquets on board with me where I ever go. Probably could have saved her life it was applied in time.

A friend of mine bled to death after being shot in the upper arm by the fucktard he was deer hunting with. There were two other guys with him, none of the three attempted to put a makeshift tourniquet on it.

The bullet had severed his brachial artery. He died within minutes of being shot, the other guys just gawked as he bled out, then later claimed they "didn't know what to do".

This isn't rocket science. A breached brachial or femoral artery is gonna result in death unless the bleeding is stopped. A belt, a purse strap, a PFD strap, an electrical cord, a phone charger cord, there's something within reach that will work. If all else fails, pressure directly on the wound will slow the bleeding.

Learn some basic emergency first aid. If someone is dying, you have to do something. Don't be afraid to commit. Bleeding must be stopped. Even simple chest compressions can save a heart attack victim. Don't just stand there.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Life jacket strap, belt, ski rope....are folks so stupid they can't improvise? Good on you for being prepared...I don't carry any first aid gear with me on the boat. I might start....if I ever make it to the river again.

Reactions: t&y

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Life jacket strap, belt, ski rope....are folks so stupid they can't improvise? Good on you for being prepared...I don't carry any first aid gear with me on the boat. I might start....if I ever make it to the river again.

I can't say I've always done it in the past... But over the last couple years with kids getting more and more active I've really started paying attention to that kind of stuff. I'm a first aid / cpr / TCCC instructor for my departmnet so I've been exposed to all the horror's of how fast things happen, and what can or can't be done acting as a first responder.

On the job we have been applying tourniquets more and more in the field in cases where in the past we would have simply waited for fire to get there. It's crazy how fast things happen with a Femoral or Brachial artery bleed. In many cases, if the femoral is severed, waiting for fire is not really an option.

For those interested in toruniquets here is a tad bit of info. SOF-T wide is my go to. CAT-T is secondary. For kids or small framed people, SWAT-T is a good option. There are a ton of tourniquets out there and also a ton of knock off's. I've seen them fail in the field. For a point of reference, a legit SOF-T or CAT-T should be in the 25-30 dollar range, SWAT is generally around 10-12.

There is a ton of info out there on these, and also a ton of info of Improvised. Every boater out there that I know of has at a minimum a fender with a rope attached, or dock lines. Those would work perfect in a pinch.

Skinny medic is a good source to start off with for things like this. He covers way more than just tourniquets.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SkinnyMedic

And on that note... If I ever make it to the river again and you see me, hit me up, I'll run you through a couple tourniquet applications if you need a refresher:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
A friend of mine bled to death after being shot in the upper arm by the fucktard he was deer hunting with. There were two other guys with him, none of the three attempted to put a makeshift tourniquet on it.

The bullet had severed his brachial artery. He died within minutes of being shot, the other guys just gawked as he bled out, then later claimed they "didn't know what to do".

This isn't rocket science. A breached brachial or femoral artery is gonna result in death unless the bleeding is stopped. A belt, a purse strap, a PFD strap, an electrical cord, a phone charger cord, there's something within reach that will work. If all else fails, pressure directly on the wound will slow the bleeding.

Learn some basic emergency first aid. If someone is dying, you have to do something. Don't be afraid to commit. Bleeding must be stopped. Even simple chest compressions can save a heart attack victim. Don't just stand there.

That is scary stuff. High and Tight is the key, and if it's too high, a knee or shin in the joint might do the trick until help arrives. Sorry about your friend.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
t&y, its funny how over the years tourniquets have gone from Not unless its a last resort, sort of first aid to an almost primary consideration.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
t&y, its funny how over the years tourniquets have gone from Not unless its a last resort, sort of first aid to an almost primary consideration.
Lol. Yup. The old myths about losing a limb are long gone. Now the primary concern is that when you get to the hospital, the nurses know what it is and how to handle it.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
There’s alot of talk about using Tourniquets to stop bleeding, but anyone who has taken first aid/CPR knows Direct pressure, Elevation and pressure points are better way to stop bleeding and should be primary treatment. A tourney is 4th best option and should be last resort to stop bleeding as most times it’s applied improperly, ineffective and causes additional problems.
Don’t get me wrong, Commercial Tourniquets are convenient to carry and have saved thousands of lives in a pinch, but getting good first aid/CPR training and having a Good F.A. Kit is far more valuable and should be priority for everyone especially boaters and outdoor recreationalists.
Stay vigilant and be safe my boating brethren.
Hud

rrrr

Reaction score
Lol. Yup. The old myths about losing a limb are long gone. Now the primary concern is that when you get to the hospital, the nurses know what it is and how to handle it.

In my friend's situation, it was obvious a tourniquet was needed, and his arm couldn't be saved. The dipshit that shot him (I had known the guy for years and he was an idiot) had dropped a deer, and he started running down a hill in front of my buddy.

He had put his 30.06 on his shoulder, pointed backwards like Gomer Pyle, hand around the trigger guard, and when he tripped the gun fired. He was 10' away from my friend, and the 180 grain round shattered the arm and left it hanging by a bit of muscle.

This happened in 1984 and i still get pissed off when I think about it. Karma wasn't long coming. The shooter was killed in a single car wreck outside Santa Fe a year later. His BAC was .19 and good riddance.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
There’s alot of talk about using Tourniquets to stop bleeding, but anyone who has taken first aid/CPR knows Direct pressure, Elevation and pressure points are better way to stop bleeding and should be primary treatment. A tourney is 4th best option and should be last resort to stop bleeding as most times it’s applied improperly, ineffective and causes additional problems.
Don’t get me wrong, Commercial Tourniquets are convenient to carry and have saved thousands of lives in a pinch, but getting good first aid/CPR training and having a Good F.A. Kit is far more valuable and should be priority for everyone especially boaters and outdoor recreationalists.
Hud
Not trying to take this off topic so I'll keep this short. NO, you do not need a tourniquet for a scratch. A prop strike, a gun shot, a deep cut, etc... go ahead and try that elevation, pressure points while moving or loading that victim from the water, to the boat, across the lake, off the boat at the ramp, into the ambulance, etc... Again, not talking about a scratch here. Direct pressure is always good, and in my practice is applied while setting the tourniquet.

FYI, there are documented cased of tourniquet applications in battle currently for over 20 hours with no nerve or circulation damage from the tourniquet. Again, not talking about a scratch here.

And on another note. I have no idea if any of this applies to what happened in this accident so this will be my last post on the subject in here. Feel free to PM me to share thoughts if needed.

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Hud
I’m a certified Red Cross instructor. Only a couple of situations we teach to use a tourniquet. I’m not a medical professional

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
Not trying to take this off topic so I'll keep this short. NO, you do not need a tourniquet for a scratch. A prop strike, a gun shot, a deep cut, etc... go ahead and try that elevation, pressure points while moving or loading that victim from the water, to the boat, across the lake, off the boat at the ramp, into the ambulance, etc... Again, not talking about a scratch here. Direct pressure is always good, and in my practice is applied while setting the tourniquet.

FYI, there are documented cased of tourniquet applications in battle currently for over 20 hours with no nerve or circulation damage from the tourniquet. Again, not talking about a scratch here.

And on another note. I have no idea if any of this applies to what happened in this accident to this will be my last post on the subject in here. Feel free to PM me to share thoughts if needed.
Ive been a medic for 20yrs and your 100% correct the thought process has changed because we have been at war for 15+ years and there is well documented case studies with data to back it up that the tourniquet will not cause more damage. Every boater should go on Amazon and spend a few bucks and buy a couple of commercial tourniquets and not think twice about applying it in an actively bleeding patient with excessive extremity bleeding.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Ive been a medic for 20yrs and your 100% correct the thought process has changed because we have been at war for 15+ years and there is well documented case studies with data to back it up that the tourniquet will not cause more damage. Every boater should go on Amazon and spend a few bucks and buy a couple of commercial tourniquets and not think twice about applying it in an actively bleeding patient with excessive extremity bleeding.

I life vest strap will do the trick in a pinch also.

77charger

Reaction score
Seen some where they say not too tight just snug etc. glad you can give an opinion as it could save a life.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

And on another note. I have no idea if any of this applies to what happened in this accident so this will be my last post on the subject in here. Feel free to PM me to share thoughts if needed.

Those are all great points T&Y, I agree with everything you said. ;)
I think the tourneys have proven to be another great treatment option especially by first responders, military or other trained personnel who are taught proper way to use them. They are invaluable on battlefield, or large accidents or disasters with multiple persons or with multiple wounds.
I think it's good that we have open discussions here, so hopefully you'll stay on continue adding your valuable .02. it just might educate and perhaps help someone someday. :)

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I buried a saw in my knee years ago and it ripped my shorts enough that I could make a tourniquet and wound up being 2 hrs till I was found.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m a certified Red Cross instructor. Only a couple of situations we teach to use a tourniquet. I’m not a medical professional

Certainly there is a chapter pertaining to a head on boat crash, in the dark, in the water, with over a dozen victims that tells someone what and what not to do.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Has the last girl been found ? I feel terrible for the friends and family . Very sad .

I was looking on the net to see if there was any follow up today. Couldn't find it which brought me back into here and then into the above discussion. That is a horrible situation for anybody involved.

Seen some where they say not too tight just snug etc. glad you can give an opinion as it could save a life.

Well, I'm not sure about a "snug" fit on a real application unless you are at the doctors office for blood pressure and such. In a real life application (we go this far in training) if you are putting a tourniquet on, the intent is beyond comfortable, and tight enough to cut off the blood flow. There are some issues regarding placement in regards to where the damage to the artery or vein is. Artery's are a bit elastic, and if the injury is up high enough on the limb, it can retract up into the joint. That is why as a matter of practice for the type of application I am concerned with, that tourniquet is going high and tight in the joint every time. As a matter of practice in a non dynamic situation where you are not running from gun fire, 3 inches above the wound is recommended. I don't like that very much because if that puts the application in the middle of a muscle mass, and the victim starts to move, it can come loose. So many factors involved.... If you can remember High and Tight you will be good. I'll take a couple pics of a good application here in a bit so you can see the difference.

Last edited:

playdeep

Reaction score
In my friend's situation, it was obvious a tourniquet was needed, and his arm couldn't be saved. The dipshit that shot him (I had known the guy for years and he was an idiot) had dropped a deer, and he started running down a hill in front of my buddy.

He had put his 30.06 on his shoulder, pointed backwards like Gomer Pyle, hand around the trigger guard, and when he tripped the gun fired. He was 10' away from my friend, and the 180 grain round shattered the arm and left it hanging by a bit of muscle.

This happened in 1984 and i still get pissed off when I think about it. Karma wasn't long coming. The shooter was killed in a single car wreck outside Santa Fe a year later. His BAC was .19 and good riddance.

Damn...I didn't know Sosa died after all that.
I remember hearing several versions of what supposedly transpired.

Schieb was a great guy,everyone liked Steve.
(RIP).

River Runnin

Reaction score
This boater has a structure scan sonar and having trouble staying away from the area! I found the boat that sank at the last 336.
The resolution on this thing is well... remarkable!, Plus I also have a tr-1 Auto-pilot that have a couple programs and will work exceptional for search patterns!

Troubled!... I'll know when I get to the boat tomorrow! :( :(