WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone delete their LML duramax? Get in here

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Got the dreaded "DEF QUALITY POOR" light this morning on my 2013 Duramax. I know the standard dealer methodology is to throw sensors, pumps and parts at it till they can make it go away. Not really interested in going down that path. Looking into deleting the DPF and DEF setups, accompanied by a tune.

Anyone have a shop they have used in CA to get this done successfully? PM me please

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Delete pipe and EFI live. You will be set.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Delete pipe and EFI live. You will be set.
I did it with my LMM, but that was DPF only. This truck also has DEF, nox sensors, etc. I'd imagine all of it just goes, straight pipe goes on from the turbo-back, and tune goes in. Do people leave the DEF tank in place or ?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I did it with my LMM, but that was DPF only. This truck also has DEF, nox sensors, etc. I'd imagine all of it just goes, straight pipe goes on from the turbo-back, and tune goes in. Do people leave the DEF tank in place or ?

Straight pipe back. Tune deletes, my guess would be to leave in place if in smog state? I think you reg in az though right?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Black tape over the indicator light?
Seriously, what effects are there if def is run dry? Does it go into a limp mode?
I can drive for 72 more miles before speed limiter kicks in...then a few hundred more till it is 5mph limited.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Most delete tunes will turn off the warning messages for the DEF, but you need to disconnect the connectors. I deleted my DEF, DPF, but kept the cat to avoid any droning and keep the noise down. I did install a muffler just in case for the visual - I don't know if makes any difference soundwise. I left the DEF intact, but electrically disconnected, I also disconnected the 3 electrical connectors for the EGR under the hood. I thought about running a blocker plate, but haven't done it yet. Do make sure you install a lift pump to maintain the fuel volume to the CP4 high pressure fuel pump - if you drain the fuel rails too many times that pump can grenade and send shards of metal all through the fuel system - fuel lines, injectors, return lines, fuel tank, and of course the CP4 will have to be replaced also, that repair can run up to $12k depending on where you go.

I've been running a 150hp delete tune on my truck for over 100,000 miles with no issues. I also had Mike from Inglewood trans (he's the Allison guru) install a dummy solenoid in the trans valvebody to increase the fluid pressure to the clutches in the trans. The trans will run a little warmer, but nothing to worry about. It makes a difference when you get on it with the Tow/Haul button engaged, it shifts much firmer and at times it will bark the rear tires. I run with the T/H button on when I'm on the freeway going over 70 otherwise it'll hold the gears in traffic or when I'm towing of course.

I found an exhaust place to do the exhaust work and they let me get under the lift to pull the connectors for the DEF and DPF. I kept the 4" stock exhaust and installed a 5" tailpipe section where I removed the factory musket tip with a 5"- 6" tip. This is a must as the exhaust necks down to 3" where it goes into the musket. I did the lift pump myself - without a lift it's a pain - I was sore for almost a week. But it all worked out for the best, after doing it I wish I had deleted much sooner.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Call ATP trucks in Idaho. They will walk you through everything over the phone. EFI Live, and a delete kit.

If you need it installed, I have a guru in Escondido that can help.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So what if you bypass the def level sensor and make it think you have plenty?
It's all greek to me, I drive a y2k 7.3 PS.
It's looking at the NOX values and determining the DEF fluid is poor ( which it never is ). Could just be the downstream NOX sensor, could be the DEF injector pump or clogged nozzle, could be a ton of shit. The dealer will just throw parts at it till they fix it, and then it could happen again. I'm gonna make it so it never happens again :)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It's looking at the NOX values and determining the DEF fluid is poor ( which it never is ). Could just be the downstream NOX sensor, could be the DEF injector pump or clogged nozzle, could be a ton of shit. The dealer will just throw parts at it till they fix it, and then it could happen again. I'm gonna make it so it never happens again :)
Gotcha, wasn't sure it was sniffing for it, damn computer stuff.

ramos45

Reaction score
Call ATP trucks in Idaho. They will walk you through everything over the phone. EFI Live, and a delete kit.

If you need it installed, I have a guru in Escondido that can help.
ATP Truck and all the others have stopped providing delete tunes. Go to ATP website and you won't see a mention of delete tunes. I stumbled across this when I had a question about my Autocal for my LMM and confirmed it on the duramax forums. The EPA stepped into and is regulating the emissions delete market.

Because of this I've considered listing my truck to see how much I could get but also because of this I haven't.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Check out MotorOps they are in Canada. They will sell you the autocal with EFI Live on it and emissions compliant tunes, and then you can purchase deleted tunes that they will email to you that you can then install onto the autocal from your computer then download them onto your truck.

Cdog

Reaction score
Most delete tunes will turn off the warning messages for the DEF, but you need to disconnect the connectors. I deleted my DEF, DPF, but kept the cat to avoid any droning and keep the noise down. I did install a muffler just in case for the visual - I don't know if makes any difference soundwise. I left the DEF intact, but electrically disconnected, I also disconnected the 3 electrical connectors for the EGR under the hood. I thought about running a blocker plate, but haven't done it yet. Do make sure you install a lift pump to maintain the fuel volume to the CP4 high pressure fuel pump - if you drain the fuel rails too many times that pump can grenade and send shards of metal all through the fuel system - fuel lines, injectors, return lines, fuel tank, and of course the CP4 will have to be replaced also, that repair can run up to $12k depending on where you go.

I've been running a 150hp delete tune on my truck for over 100,000 miles with no issues. I also had Mike from Inglewood trans (he's the Allison guru) install a dummy solenoid in the trans valvebody to increase the fluid pressure to the clutches in the trans. The trans will run a little warmer, but nothing to worry about. It makes a difference when you get on it with the Tow/Haul button engaged, it shifts much firmer and at times it will bark the rear tires. I run with the T/H button on when I'm on the freeway going over 70 otherwise it'll hold the gears in traffic or when I'm towing of course.

I found an exhaust place to do the exhaust work and they let me get under the lift to pull the connectors for the DEF and DPF. I kept the 4" stock exhaust and installed a 5" tailpipe section where I removed the factory musket tip with a 5"- 6" tip. This is a must as the exhaust necks down to 3" where it goes into the musket. I did the lift pump myself - without a lift it's a pain - I was sore for almost a week. But it all worked out for the best, after doing it I wish I had deleted much sooner.

Mike is the Allison Whisperer. HAHA! He did the transgo in mine too.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Mike is the Allison Whisperer. HAHA! He did the transgo in mine too.
I asked him if I need a trans tune with the tune I'm running and he said that the dummy solenoid would be fine. If I was running more than 700 hp he'd recommend going through it, but he said that as long as I didn't drive it like an idiot the trans should last me as long as I own the truck. So far so good - 8 years in December and currently at 210,000 miles and still on the original brakes.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Tuners at the Sand Show claim they have delete tools that you can reset to compliance mode. Haven't met anyone that has done that yet.
Would like to do it.

Cdog

Reaction score
I asked him if I need a trans tune with the tune I'm running and he said that the dummy solenoid would be fine. If I was running more than 700 hp he'd recommend going through it, but he said that as long as I didn't drive it like an idiot the trans should last me as long as I own the truck. So far so good - 8 years in December and currently at 210,000 miles and still on the original brakes.

I’m at 198k miles on my 2006. Gonna have to do head gaskets soon but it’s a know issue with my year duramax. Can’t complain at all. Been a great truck.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Looks like $1300 gets me a loaded auto-cal with delete tunes, and a 4" stainless direct fit exhaust from the downpipe back. The rest is removing existing exhaust, sensors, and capping a few things off. For race purposes / off road use only of course

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Well....light went off. Added a fresh tank of DEF and went for a long drive on the freeway. Hooked up the scanner, NOX drop was where it was supposed to be. Eventually it cleared itself.

Morale of the story - when your truck notifies you there is 16% DEF left, you may be low enough For it to trigger other BS sensors and throw these trucks into limp mode.

Last edited:

wishiknew

Reaction score
Looks like $1300 gets me a loaded auto-cal with delete tunes, and a 4" stainless direct fit exhaust from the downpipe back. The rest is removing existing exhaust, sensors, and capping a few things off. For race purposes / off road use only of course
that truck is a 4X4

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
that truck is a 4X4
Yea it is. Exhaust is easy though.

Putting the thought on hold for now, turns out i'm a dumb ass and apparently it doesn't like being ran low on DEF! It said it had 16% left, then it said 100 miles left....then back to 16%......then "Fuck you, DEF quality poor, go to dealer, im shutting you down in 72 miles"

OfftheGrid

Reaction score
I have a LMM and an ATP tune...my tune is no longer technically supported by ATP/Rob due to the EPA whipping he received. Motor OPS is who some are going with for these tunes, but hopefully I don't have any issues with my tune files and I don't have to re-invest in new ones.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Got the dreaded "DEF QUALITY POOR" light this morning on my 2013 Duramax. I know the standard dealer methodology is to throw sensors, pumps and parts at it till they can make it go away. Not really interested in going down that path. Looking into deleting the DPF and DEF setups, accompanied by a tune.

Anyone have a shop they have used in CA to get this done successfully? PM me please

I drive a Navistar 7.3L Excursion. Don't have to worry about that stuff ;)

NicPaus

Reaction score
And I'll wave back as I pass you while youre on the shoulder at the peak!.
Lol. My new gas truck hauls better than my antique 7.3 I sold a few years back. Newer Duramax work trucks just pull right up the hills at like 1500 rpm not even braking a sweat. The 7.3 is solid though.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Lol. My new gas truck hauls better than my antique 7.3 I sold a few years back. Newer Duramax work trucks just pull right up the hills at like 1500 rpm not even braking a sweat. The 7.3 is solid though.

Just hauled 7,000 lbs worth of Mustang and dovetail up to Dallas and back at 205k miles with no issues 2 weeks ago. I even managed to outrun the waste water tankers from the oil fields (up a grade)
20180825_081114.jpg

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
When they go out of warranty you'll spend thousands every time you visit a dealer
and mention the word "def". And once they start, those visits will become more and
more regular.

So we bit the bullet and spent thousands getting a first rate conversion of all involved
items done (I'm a gearhead and can do it myself, but I've watched these pro diesel guys
and the good ones are worth parting with your thousands to). That way you spend your
pile of thousands one time. And get a truck that won't fail you when you need it the most.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
X55 Mastercraft. Can I be in your club now?

sml

Reaction score
Just hauled 7,000 lbs worth of Mustang and dovetail up to Dallas and back at 205k miles with no issues 2 weeks ago. I even managed to outrun the waste water tankers from the oil fields (up a grade) View attachment 683333

Lol i wouldn’t be bragging about that......i love my 7.3 crew cab dually and i’ll probably never get rid of it but get some real weight behind it and pull a steep grade.

Mine set on kill does about 45mph with about 12,000lbs of toy hauler pulling real mountain grades. Besides tuning, the best upgrade i ever did was getting a SPE diesel full tilt transmission built for it.

I’m not saying new trucks will do it much better either......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hullbilly

Reaction score
Well, I whacked the muffler off my 6.0, loaded a +404 hp tune with a K&n drop in and that bitch will pull 40,000lbs up chriaco like nothings behind it. Stock head bolts and trans....Oh and it averages 29mpg going it.

sml

Reaction score
Up a 10% grade as well?

Lol i think not....not saying my truck is the benchmark but nothing has ever passed me hauling 40,000lbs (let alone 10,000) up any of the 12 percent grades here(western PA). The lesser grades my 7.3 keeps up no problem at 55-65mph. I don’t go any faster towing anyways.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
7.3s are not fast and I would never claim that. But they are strong dependable workhorses.

Also the bosses '17 Duramax cant do what our 7.3 can
20171128_121835.jpg

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Lol i wouldn’t be bragging about that......i love my 7.3 crew cab dually and i’ll probably never get rid of it but get some real weight behind it and pull a steep grade.

Mine set on kill does about 45mpg with about 12,000lbs of toy hauler pulling real mountain grades. Besides tuning, the best upgrade i ever did was getting a SPE diesel full tilt transmission built for it.

I’m not saying new trucks will do it much better either......

I think it’s 45 Miles per hour