WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

First trip in the X3....

jesco

Reaction score
Took the new X3 to Barstow for a little rip..... WOW!!!! These cars are FRICKEN INSANE!!!! I have had all different types of offroad toys over the years... motorcycles, ATCs, Quads, Arctic Cat Prowler, Potter LS dual sport, 900 RZR, 1000 RZR (non turbo), and now this.... This car is BY FAR the funnest "all around" toy I have ever driven (*the Potter was AWESOME on open roads/trails, but sucked on small/tight trails and exploring)... The suspension on these flat out outperforms any SXS Ive ever driven, even my buddies '15 RZR with Kings and HCR LT kit... I didn't get a chance to really push it and put it through the paces, was "trying" to keep it fairly mellow to break in the belt. I did hit a long flat spot at the end of the day and got up to 80mph for a second and still felt like it wanted to keep going and felt very stable still. VERY impressed so far with how it rides. Ordered some new coils from Shock Therapy and front limit straps, gonna start tweaking with the shocks once those are installed.
IMG_1580 2.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG

DWC

Reaction score
Hoping to get our first trip in this Saturday. Same program. Local run to get some seat time.

HotRod82

Reaction score
I only know 2 people with can-ams and they both complain the visibility is terrible compared to their razor's especially in the dunes. Have you noticed this at all with yours?

jesco

Reaction score
I only know 2 people with can-ams and they both complain the visibility is terrible compared to their razor's especially in the dunes. Have you noticed this at all with yours?
Not at all. Personally I think the visibility is better in this than my RZR. I went with the CanAm frameless glass windshield. Not an issue at all, but that’s just my opinion.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
nice rig, congrats. nice choice on tires and wheels too :)

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

I noticed a bit of reduced visibility with the top of windshield/crossbar on stock cage in a friends at glamis. He replaced with a new cage and had more of a slant back, it allows you to look up to the top of the dune and select your route better sometimes. most peeps prolly wouldn't notice.

jesco

Reaction score
I noticed a bit of reduced visibility with the top of windshield/crossbar on stock cage in a friends at glamis. He replaced with a new cage and had more of a slant back, it allows you to look up to the top of the dune and select your route better sometimes. most peeps prolly wouldn't notice.
Reading this, I could def see that being an issue for sure in the dunes with a stock cage... luckily Im a AZ hard pack desert rider so wont affect me much, hahaha.

Albert

Reaction score
What size tires are those ? 32”? I just bought mine and the slippery slope already got me buying all kinds of crap! Doors, rims tires, whips, stereo, sub, switches , bags , windshield , mirrors led light bar and this was on day 2!

DLC

Reaction score
How do you like your windshield? Is it glass or plastic?

I haven’t even Taken possession of mine and I’m like $9,000 or so out of pocket for goodies!
I will be doing shock tuning once I get it.

I’m Super excited so far! Can’t wait

Reactions: DWC

jesco

Reaction score
What size tires are those ? 32”? I just bought mine and the slippery slope already got me buying all kinds of crap! Doors, rims tires, whips, stereo, sub, switches , bags , windshield , mirrors led light bar and this was on day 2!
Yes, 32" Tensor Regulators, wanted to get the Tensor DS series but heard they dont last long on hard pack. And yes... the aftermarket shit starts adding up QUICK!!!

jesco

Reaction score
How do you like your windshield? Is it glass or plastic?

I haven’t even Taken possession of mine and I’m like $9,000 or so out of pocket for goodies!
I will be doing shock tuning once I get it.

I’m Super excited so far! Can’t wait
CanAm glass, love it. Did Shock Therapy springs last week, car sits WAY higher, and rides a lot better. Low speed seems to be a lot softer. Time to start messing with all the shock adjustments now and get it dialed in.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
CanAm glass, love it. Did Shock Therapy springs last week, car sits WAY higher, and rides a lot better. Low speed seems to be a lot softer. Time to start messing with all the shock adjustments now and get it dialed in.
Got any before and after pics with the new set up?

jesco

Reaction score
Got any before and after pics with the new set up?
Didnt take any, totally forgot. It raised the car a good 4" to 5" though. Only pic I took was of the limit strap set up to rub it into my buddy who forgot to order them, hahaha.
IMG_1689.JPG

alohajeff

Reaction score
I see the OP already replaced the springs - FANTASTIC UPGRADE!

The X3 was developed to work best with approximately 15" inches of clearance from the ground to the where the front lower control arms attach to the frame and 15" inches of clearance just under the center of the rear most skid plate. That's assuming a stock-ish size tire combo so adjust accordingly based on your tire size. From the factory they ship closer to 10" inches for handling / rollover (insurance) reasons and the factory springs also quickly lose ride height which makes bottoming out a real pain in the ass. The factory coil springs are JUNK and the best 1st modification you can make is new aftermarket springs and 2nd is correcting the ride height.

Might as well add this... check the grease in the front wheel bearings. From the factory some came almost dry. We bought two of these and they work great. It's still a bitch to get the front end to where the tool works but it still saves a bunch of time.

https://catechusa.com/product/can-am-x3-wheel-bearing-grease-tool/

The factory rear radius rods are total garbage. Replace them before they ruin your day or weekend. If you don't replace them at least carry a spare (or two).

The rear upright (knuckle) hardware will loosen up which wallows out the holes which ruins the part. We put 1400 miles on an X3 at the NORRA this year and those parts were ruined only because the attachment hardware loosens up during use and we didn't catch it in time (common problem).

Check ALL the hardware. From the factory some stuff arrives finger tight. Yeah, finger tight. No exaggeration there. QC isn't what it needs to be on these things.

If you decide to get a new front bumper / bulkhead you won't want to mount lights right in front of the radiator grill. We had to remove a pair of KC's during a race because the car was overheating in 90-100* temps during the day. We removed those 2 lights (allowing proper airflow to the radiator) and the overheating stopped immediately.

Aloha

Last edited:

jesco

Reaction score
I see the OP already replaced the springs - FANTASTIC UPGRADE!

The X3 was developed to work best with approximately 15" inches of clearance from the ground to the where the front lower control arms attach to the frame and 15" inches of clearance just under the center of the rear most skid plate. That's assuming a stock-ish size tire combo so adjust accordingly based on your tire size. From the factory they ship closer to 10" inches for handling / rollover (insurance) reasons and the factory springs also quickly lose ride height which makes bottoming out a real pain in the ass. The factory coil springs are JUNK and the best 1st modification you can make is new aftermarket springs and 2nd is correcting the ride height.

Might as well add this... check the grease in the front wheel bearings. From the factory some came almost dry. We bought two of these and they work great. It's still a bitch to get the front end to where the tool works but it still saves a bunch of time.

https://catechusa.com/product/can-am-x3-wheel-bearing-grease-tool/

The factory rear radius rods are total garbage. Replace them before they ruin your day or weekend. If you don't replace them at least carry a spare (or two).

The rear upright (knuckle) hardware will loosen up which wallows out the holes which ruins the part. We put 1400 miles on an X3 at the NORRA this year and those parts were ruined only because the attachment hardware loosens up during use and we didn't catch it in time (common problem).

Check ALL the hardware. From the factory some stuff arrives finger tight. Yeah, finger tight. No exaggeration there. QC isn't what it needs to be on these things.

If you decide to get a new front bumper / bulkhead you won't want to mount lights right in front of the radiator grill. We had to remove a pair of KC's during a race because the car was overheating in 90-100* temps during the day. We removed those 2 lights (allowing proper airflow to the radiator) and the overheating stopped immediately.

Aloha
GREAT info, thanks, I will keep an eye on all that. Rear radius rods is the next upgrade. Did a Desert Works front bumper, WHAT A PAIN to install that, entire front clip has to come off, no lights though. The ride height change is huge, the car feels right now. At 45mph it floats like a Caddy, now I need to start dialing in all the shock adjustments.