Votes: 3 27.3%
  • ColdFire

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • RD SUX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I bought this car from a fellow inmate about a year? and half? ago??
7FDD4A98-A3DC-4A5E-92AD-22EEFBFE7402.jpeg

Knowing I couldn’t immediately do anything with it, but have always wanted one.
So far it’s just sat in the garage, I’ve collected a few gauges and fuse box, some marine mat that coincidently enough was a blem to the shop but matched the yellow and silver on the car great.

So here’s the deal. The car is yellow, and appears to be single stage acrylic enamel.
It’s not perfect, a few chips from spending a bunch of years in @DWC garage as well as mine.
I could live with it personally, it’s not even the second yellow car I’ve had, and a few chips don’t bother me either.
It’s a dune buggy, lol. It should have a few:D

The quandary.
Under that yellow paint is a coat of red paint, lol.
Under them?
ColdFire Metal flake.

After getting the car home I called Winnie at Meyers and told her what I had, she requested a few pics and the numbers/pics of the ID tag, affixed above where it had originally been mounted, to show the original color.
A264B319-FD2D-43F0-957A-E069BD7FC6AA.png

She tells me it’s a pretty rare color, about a dozen of them know of.

Can I live with gold/green or green/gold metal flake?

Yes I could.

Now I know what you guys are thinking.
“ You’re gelcoater! Gelcoat it ColdFire!”

Yeah. I’m “in the mold” gelcoater, not fix it guy gelcoater, lol.
I know some guys though. :cool:
But it won’t be cheap, and will add a lot of time to a build I already have no idea how long it will take to finish.

But the idea keeps eating at me.
ColdFire would be cool.

DWC

Reaction score
I bought this car from a fellow inmate about a year? and half? ago??
View attachment 698968

Knowing I couldn’t immediately do anything with it, but have always wanted one.
So far it’s just sat in the garage, I’ve collected a few gauges and fuse box, some marine mat that coincidently enough was a blem to the shop but matched the yellow and silver on the car great.

So here’s the deal. The car is yellow, and appears to be single stage acrylic enamel.
It’s not perfect, a few chips from spending a bunch of years in @DWC garage as well as mine.
I could live with it personally, it’s not even the second yellow car I’ve had, and a few chips don’t bother me either.
It’s a dune buggy, lol. It should have a few:D

The quandary.
Under that yellow paint is a coat of red paint, lol.
Under them?
ColdFire Metal flake.

After getting the car home I called Winnie at Meyers and told her what I had, she requested a few pics and the numbers/pics of the ID tag, affixed above where it had originally been mounted, to show the original color.
View attachment 698970

She tells me it’s a pretty rare color, about a dozen of them know of.

Can I live with gold/green or green/gold metal flake?

Yes I could.

Now I know what you guys are thinking.
“ You’re gelcoater! Gelcoat it ColdFire!”

Yeah. I’m “in the mold” gelcoater, not fix it guy gelcoater, lol.
I know some guys though. :cool:
But it won’t be cheap, and will add a lot of time to a build I already have no idea how long it will take to finish.

But the idea keeps eating at me.
ColdFire would be cool.
Can’t wait to see it done. I call first ride.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Can’t wait to see it done. I call first ride.
Should I assume you’re one of the ColdFire votes?

Something nagging at my subconscious I believe wants this car to roll, under its own power, as a yellow car. As I would assume your FIL invisioned it?

Short term plan, say within the next month, lol. (I’m a busy guy)

I need an exhaust system!
With pipes I can get the back cage section fabbed around said exhaust.
Then, get step father motivated to tinker on that carb.
Or, I send it out.
Either way, hook power to it and dump some gas down the holes and see if it’l fire.

DWC

Reaction score
Yep, i voted cold fire. Really can’t wait to see it rolling either way. The grandkids will get a kick out of it.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
I would put it together and run it the way it is. You can always go back and restore to the original gelcoat later. If your going to resparay it needs to be the original gel color and that is a lot more work than it seems once you start striping the old paint layers off and start to uncover old stress cracks and holes. I have a Manx II still the original gel but has its share of scars all off which are old memories for my family so will probably never be resprayed.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Run it for awhile. I would use it as is for awhile and when you're able pick up another body Do it. Do a bitchen gelcoat on it and swap it out. Then strip and coldfire the original. It's an off-road car it's gonna get beat up but if you have a body you don't mind beating on and another that is the original coldfire for when it's time to show her off that would be bad ass.

endobear

Reaction score
I say put it together with what you have. Plus a little$. Not what you want. Drive it.
Take it to the desert and use it a bit and really figure out what direction you want to go.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
With all the work you did for that Carb Gelcoater, it needs to be Gold plated. :D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Damn, I’ll slap my BIL next time i see him. @Jumppack JB
Lol. No need for that.

It’s sort of a given, when one buys a project car, things will need to be fixed, rebuilt, or replaced.
At least there weren’t any quagga muscles to scrape out:D

Reactions: DWC

Gelcoater

Reaction score
With all the work you did for that Carb Gelcoater, it needs to be Gold plated. :D
The innerds and top plate cleaning up pretty nicely!
The body soaked over night.
As soon as it’s late enough to fire off the compressor without pissing people off I’m on it.

I may hold off on plating it:D

From the reading I’ve done so far most seem to agree these engines are actually easier to tune than a single carb deal?
Something to do with how much farther the air/fuel charge has to travel on a single.
On the other hand I know a guy that says his single carb deal ran great! After he had someone who knew their shit tinker on it;)
And, I definitely don’t know my shit on these carburetors, lol.