WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

X3 Oil Change PITA. The alternate to $899 the dealer charges.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Very hard to reach the oil drain plugs on the X3. 2 Of them. The drain access through the skid plate is the same dia as a paper towel roll. Forget removing the skid plate. That's fuck story in itself.
I used a paper towel tube, stuck the socket up through it to remove the plug and didn't spill a drop.

The You Tube how-to's saying to use the flexible funnel never shows the guy actually using that funnel. I tried it, countless X3 owners in the dirt forums tried it, nahhh, it doesn't work in this application. It creates a hell of a mess.

ZYUpjSK.jpg

I cleaned my air foam filter. Yeah, Can Am has an over the counter foam filter. Judging by the amount of dirt I rinse outta it I would NOT use the standard paper air filter that comes with the X3. Maybe that's just me running in this dry climate and dunes vs guys back East in the rain, mud and snow.

peSO16r.jpg

Greased the wheel bearings with the special wheel bearing grease tool. Every 500 miles or you'll wish you did. 3 to 5 shot of grease is what I do. Guys on line are giving theirs 20 shots. Damfino, you make that call.

IupXAI8.jpg

I replaced the drive belt, I do every 1000 miles and I think I can change that to 1500 miles. Neighbor gets about 600 miles outta his, but he has a '17 X3 and that uses a different, weaker drive belt. Other non-X3 Can Am owners I talk to get about 700 miles, and then their belt snaps. They have 4 seaters.
I break my belts in easy, maybe that helps.

Dealers all want $899 for a basic service not including greasing the wheel bearings nor a new drive belt. "The Yamaha YXZ is $998" they'll tell you when you puke at that price.
I found the proper Gates belt for $149 and the oil filter, gaskets and 3.7 quarts for about $50 and checked the alignment with the twine, jack stand and tape measure method.
Knocked it all out in about 2.5 hours.

Last edited:

Albert

Reaction score
Very well done. Ive only got 100 miles on mine but I bought the tool already and the oil change kit Im gonna diy it too. I hear the same about the oil change . Get ready to curse !

Reactions: TPC

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Yah it's a fucking rip off

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Very well done. Ive only got 100 miles on mine but I bought the tool already and the oil change kit Im gonna diy it too. I hear the same about the oil change . Get ready to curse !
Some guys are putting on the Fumoto oil drain valve:

fumoto-valve-frs-brz-wrx-2_1.jpg

These valves used to come standard with a hose on our Wake Board boats but the Empty Paycheck Political party got them outlawed. They claimed someone would open the bottom hull drain plug and change their oil whilst afloat in the water. I'd love to see how someone could figure that out and pull it off.

Came standard on our TH's Onan 5500. Now that's an easy oil change if you don't mind the $12 oil filter.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

I went to grease my wheel bearings at 800 miles and they were burnt and welded to their enclosure and spline seal grenaded.
The red grease is what I put on to re-assemble and get it fixed on warranty.
Can Am isn't covering it nor the leaky water pumps and claim their is no problem.
It was covered on my after market warranty though.
Grease them every 500 miles is my advise and free advise is worth what you paid for it.
wuqhI2E.jpg

Albert

Reaction score
Yea I feel like I need to crack the hubs open just to check . I hear horror stories about the hubs not being greased from the factory .

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I keep a used X3 belt with a new belt on the X3.
We do come across high mileage X3 owners with grenaded belts out on the dunes. They have no spare.
We help them out and put the used belt on, send them on their way.

Did they bring their tool kit with the special tools needed? No and they lost it back in ‘17.
They learn the hard way and when we see them again they are dialed in.

We have a Dune friend Skinner who is a hell of a character. Looks like the Drummer in the Muppet show. Has a beautiful and hilarious wife.
Like RD, his side by side is only run at 100% throttle and the brakes have never been used.
Skinner can change an X3 belt in under 4 minutes. From cover on to off to back on again. Skinner carries several belts. If he recommends something it’s because it held up to his use.

Everybody needs to meet Skinner.
He helps all stranded duners too.
Golden heart - hard working guy.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Some guys are putting on the Fumoto oil drain valve:

fumoto-valve-frs-brz-wrx-2_1.jpg

These valves used to come standard with a hose on our Wake Board boats but the Empty Paycheck Political party got them outlawed. They claimed someone would open the bottom hull drain plug and change their oil whilst afloat in the water. I'd love to see how someone could figure that out and pull it off.

Came standard on our TH's Onan 5500. Now that's an easy oil change if you don't mind the $12 oil filter.

I was just going to recommend this. I use on my offroad car as the drain plug vs tubing and aluminum was a total pita. I went to this about 3-4 years ago and never had a single issue. I now also have on all three vehicles as well. Just get oil slightly warm first 5 minutes of idle and then pull the key and flip the valve.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Well played TPC.

Any grease is better than no grease. I pump grease until I see the outer seal move, or see grease being pushed out.

Not a Can Am but it ended up being about 15 pumps of grease per corner. Those tools make it stupidly easy to service the wheel bearings.

On my RZR I am trying the foam vacuum filters over my paper filter with a light fog of K&N oil in the foam.

Last edited: