WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

wanna know about a moho before you buy????

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'm still try'n to see the difference between the ace and the hurricane... I know the hurricane has more ginger bread.. solid countertops and such... but what else , and the hurricane is 6'' longer and it comes withan inverter...
Hurricane has a fiberglass rear cap. ACE has no rear fiberglass and a simple steel tube bumper

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
What about keeping the gen and installing a “load shedding” setup so it stagers the AC’s hard starts. Maybe you don’t need a 5500 ?
I wanna first try it and see how bad it gets... being abler block off the front and back might work good enough... most of the time for us is keeping it warm as we use the rv in the winter,.. and for sure the two ac's wasn't worth the 25 k ...I've only seen one 27 with 2 airs, it's an option , and most dealers don't get it...the one I seen was at camp world in vegas… pretty hard sell place ...they constant tell you that you won't get a better price... but at the same time want 15k more....

HitIt

Reaction score
Wife and I walked the Pomona RV show. Loved the Hurricanes. The seemed like the Honda Accord of gas motorhomes. Actually, originally saw a Windsport first which turns out to be the same as the Hurricane, just different color finishes. The 29 is awesome but we really liked the full wall slide 34. They used to have 2 models but discontinued the non bunkhouse which we liked the best. From what I saw, the hurricane/Windsport were really similar to the ACE but looked and felt like a much cheaper version. I think you can add nicer packages to the windsport, too. Loved the drop down front bed for the kids.

buck35

Reaction score
In our little b , most of the time we just boil a pot of water and it warms the coach right up. I think we've only used the furnace a couple times.:confused:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Wife and I walked the Pomona RV show. Loved the Hurricanes. The seemed like the Honda Accord of gas motorhomes. Actually, originally saw a Windsport first which turns out to be the same as the Hurricane, just different color finishes. The 29 is awesome but we really liked the full wall slide 34. They used to have 2 models but discontinued the non bunkhouse which we liked the best. From what I saw, the hurricane/Windsport were really similar to the ACE but looked and felt like a much cheaper version. I think you can add nicer packages to the windsport, too. Loved the drop down front bed for the kids.
The ACE felt nicer?

Raffit78

Reaction score
I think the hurricane/windsport are the same models, just different names for different areas. I also think that is a model step above the Ace. I think Ace is the lower model of the two coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectras only

Reaction score

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Always liked the old Newmar Newaire 29 compact with diesel. Full fiberglass body. Only have experience with newer large models like my buddy's Ventana. Wondering, how's the small Newmar like Bay Star stack against the Ace or FR3 models? I checked the FR3and it felt very cheaply made.
Here's a vintage Newmar Newair for sale https://www.recreationalvehiclemark...LASSIC-Class-A-in-Tennessee-TN-115876427.html
I've had two fr3's in my driveway...both were the most horrible of all the rv's I've owned... never again,,,, refused the last one...

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I have the ACE 29.2 with full body paint, we like the rig. Only 1 AC, so we added a second in the rear above the bed, removed the vent. Wasn't wired so I ran the power across the top in a plastic conduit a spot where I could go down in a cabinet so it would all be hidden. I plug that into a separate 110v outlet at the campground. We don't need to run it while driving so this works out fine. I like it for the dogs, so if my 30A outlet would trip a breaker on the power pole while we are out, I still have the rear air running on the 20A outlet.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
The ACE felt nicer?
Stay away from the full slide. They all have problems, even after they doubled up the slide systems on the newer units. If your rig twists or you take it off road dry camping, it will screw them up every time. They are a nightmare. Just this last week we had to help a guy we camp with get his slide in, 2017 rig, nothing but problems with the full slide. When we go out, he always packs up first on Sunday so we can help him if his slide is jacked up. just a hot mess.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Steve do you like any C class with walk around bed?

Winnebago or Fleetwood the Toyota / Honda of the motor home industry.
Engineered better.
Cost a little more.
Less problems overall.
Better resale.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
this is what amazes me about ford chassis f53 motorhomes.. with the amount of rv's out there, and the amount of fabricators and suspension experts out there....its stagnate... the same horrible set up , over and over... seems to me a great opportunity to come up with something better....guy could make a large fortune with a suspension up grade.... look at off road...guys go 100 plus MPH across the desert...smoother then my rv will go down the 210 in California.. seems that all the upgerades they come up with are for the rear of the coach..V ride, more ride, dyana ride..to name a few..twin ibeam would make a huge difference, added with coil springs imo….kinda like the big mustang 2 conversions for streetrods...everybody had to do it...one of the major problems with the f53 is the shocks....I did a test to try and find where the banging over tar strips was coming from.....the shocks...I took the fronts complete out and the banging was gone... sure it porpoise'd … but it was smooth...so the best mods I have done was the bilstien shocks...and just so you know , the bilstiens that come on fords are junk... they are valve'd way wrong... so, like most,.. wtf.. i'm gonna take new bilstiens off and put new bilstiens on...how could that work??? so I called bilstien… whats the deal... here's what they said..fords shocks have there own valving specification's...though they are built under the bilstien lable…. they are no where near the shock that you buy to replce from bilstien...so I 'm game to try, I get the shocks for free, so only out the time to put them on,... I manufactured 2 shock installers, pretty cool, all I have to say is here... put these on … the rest is automatic... big difference,
but still no prize … theres gotta be a better mouse trap....

So which model bilsteins? You mentioned blue/yellow, my new to me 01 has very new looking yellow bilsteins on the rear and older yellow on the front. Coach has 17k miles.

TCHB

Reaction score
Stay away from the full slide. They all have problems, even after they doubled up the slide systems on the newer units. If your rig twists or you take it off road dry camping, it will screw them up every time. They are a nightmare. Just this last week we had to help a guy we camp with get his slide in, 2017 rig, nothing but problems with the full slide. When we go out, he always packs up first on Sunday so we can help him if his slide is jacked up. just a hot mess.
I have always thought about the design when you remove 90% of the structure and hang a 2,000# box out. Now they are putting a entire kitchen into the slide with a home style refrigerator. That is a lot of weight hanging out. I would rather have smaller slides balanced between right and left side.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So which model bilsteins? You mentioned blue/yellow, my new to me 01 has very new looking yellow bilsteins on the rear and older yellow on the front. Coach has 17k miles.
I think the newest ones are blue and silver for the latter model , the ones that have ford on them are the bad ones...you will notice a nice difference putting new bilstiens on the front....un hook your sway bar and make sure it falls on it own, and grease it... major problem with fords banging on tar strips is the froze sway bar... take the shocks off the front,,,unhook the sway bar..( tie it up so it don't fall...and go for a slow ride down a bumpy road,... best to ride down the same road that you tried before and see how ruff it is

the problem you will find is the shocks..ford put real stiff valve'd shock to help with the sway,.. when they really needed bigger sway bars..that and the bushings on the sway bar are too tight so when you hit a little bump, the sway bar won't go up... on my coaches I get the roadmaster rear swar bar, you leave the stock one and it adds a second one... I also do the sumo's,...but I use the softest one's on the rear..you really have to tune the sumo's to get the best results..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'll tell all you socal peeps this,... is you wanna see if what I say is fact or fiction...my trade in coach will be at the mikethompson rv store in colton Monday.... you will not believe the luxury quiet ride of that coach...smooth and no rattles..and at this point, I'm hopeing the hurricane has the same or better quality as the Winnebago...but kinda dought it..we'll see though... new coach is supposed to be here at 4 pm...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the low power kills it for me, can't figure out why they don't put the 3 valve motor in the class c.....I more like the a's as you can spin the front seats around and it becomes usable... one time in my 27'r, it was Ziggy,and wife, 28 eliminator and wife,2ff and wife and hanging in our coach...and that coach didn't have a sofa..just the dinette... everyone had a seat... woul;d not have happened in a c class..but as far as the c goes... they real small ones don't weigh much, and they will tow a pretty big trailer...8k-10k no problem... just would be nice to get the 3 valve to start with

Raffit78

Reaction score
I'll tell all you socal peeps this,... is you wanna see if what I say is fact or fiction...my trade in coach will be at the mikethompson rv store in colton Monday.... you will not believe the luxury quiet ride of that coach...smooth and no rattles..and at this point, I'm hopeing the hurricane has the same or better quality as the Winnebago...but kinda dought it..we'll see though... new coach is supposed to be here at 4 pm...

What didn’t you like about it? The layout?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I don't like the slide at all... though in all my years. and all the coaches with slides... I have never had a problem..but ever time I push the button..I think it's gonna fail..the Winnebago with the full slides grunts, pops and grinds to get the slide out and back in... I took it to the dealer and the service guy said that how the all are... UI said , it aint gonna last like that... he said if it breaks bring it in and we will fix it...WTF....

Raffit78

Reaction score
That’s the one your trading in for the hurricane right?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
That’s the one your trading in for the hurricane right?

Yes,... the winne bago turned out real nice... smooth riding, quiet power, no sway when driving at any time, but... I can't sleep in it at all... they put the furnace right next to bed under the night stand on the left,... that's my side of the bed... evey time the heater kicked on.. I woke up... and right when I dozzed off to sleep,... it kicked on again.. I was a zombie the next day... no rest or sleep at all..my wife lets her dogs sleep on the bed.. little fucker get in between us and takes up the whole bed on a queen size...king is still to small

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So, there I was... coardless drill and sawsall in hand.. I was gonna gut the rear of the coach... move the furnace, and make the bed a king, problem is it doesn't stop there... all the wiring and the furnace goes under the vanity in the bath also.. a guy could move the air return,...insulate the area around the unit and quiet the thing down..but to get a king bed it would have to go on top of the furnace...it's nice in the front when it come on as you can't hear it... so watching movies you don't have to turn up the volume when it kicks on...I have never seen this before... and never noticed it when I bought the coach...kinda sad right now as I put a lot of work in the coach and got it to where it's really is nice... but if I can't sleep it ...useless to me... and if you are wondering... I'm loosing my ass on this one...

Raffit78

Reaction score
That’s something you can’t quite test/perform at the dealer when purchasing, I can feel your pain. I’m curious on the hurricane review you will give us. Those guys love theirs on the other forum.

Would you still test the larger wheel tire combo, or was that specific to winny?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Always liked the old Newmar Newaire 29 compact with diesel. Full fiberglass body. Only have experience with newer large models like my buddy's Ventana. Wondering, how's the small Newmar like Bay Star stack against the Ace or FR3 models? I checked the FR3and it felt very cheaply made.
Here's a vintage Newmar Newair for sale https://www.recreationalvehiclemark...LASSIC-Class-A-in-Tennessee-TN-115876427.html
that's a bad ass looking coach... kinda reminds me of the GMC though...I love to drive one...the 5.9 cummins will take a lot of mods... but it only has the 2000 5 speed trans , so that will limit the tq you throw at it

vehicle-2001-Used-Newmar-New-Aire-CLASSIC-Class-A-in-Tennessee-TN-115876427-56a6899a2f068261772a5a3c.jpg

Description
2001 Used Newmar New Aire CLASSIC Class A in Tennessee TN. 2001 Newmar New Aire CLASSIC, Rare & Unique 2001 Newmar Newaire 29 Ft. Diesel pusher motor-home. Total fiberglass exterior, thick insulated walls. Very quiet ride. This is an exceptionally eye-catching coach. Only 43 were made due to the original price of between $180,000 and $200,000. Built on a Newco chassis with a Cummins ISB 260 HP turbo diesel engine. Allison 2000 series 5-speed automatic transmission. Full air suspension & independent front suspension for smooth comfortable quiet ride. Air bag suspension kneels to allow lower entry step. Only 10 ft. 5" tall. 6 wheel power disc brakes. An all electric Coach (no propane) powered by a 7000 watt Kubota generator and a 50 Amp service. Freedom 458 series inverter. Solar panel. Center Kitchen has 2 burner smooth top range, Sharp Carousel Microwave/ convection oven, ceiling vent fan. Double bowl sink, Corian counter top. Nova Kool 12volt/120 volt side by side 7 cu. ft. refrigerator/freezer. Ample cabinets and drawers. Salon has Corian fold away table in a booth and a jack knife sofa. Both booth and sofa convert for sleeping. Forward booth seat flips so passengers can face forward. Coach has seating for 8 and sleeping for 4 adults and 2 children. Overhead cabinets in salon area. Turbo-max roof ventilator. Sansui Flat screen TV with Winegard antenna & booster . Maxum 2000 central Vacuum. Driver enjoys power-steering with tilt/extend steering wheel, cruise control, traction control Pac brake, driver and pass. 6 way power leather seats . Compass and outside temp on mirror. Jensen AM/FM stereo with CD, DVD and pop up video from rear color camera. Tinted windows, Power windows - driver and passenger doors. Bath has Sealand Vacu-flush commode, Corian vanity top, large mirror, med cabinet, personal shower and vent fan. Queen Bed with individual reading lamps, ample cabinets, 4 ft wardrobe and drawers. Personal make-up area. Max-air roof ventilator, Day-nite shades, smoke & carbon monoxide alarms. Duo-therm Penquin 13,500 BTU duct-ed air conditioner with Heat pump. Duo-therm comfort control center. Also Webasto 45,000 BTU .diesel fired hydronic heat with 3 zones including heat for holding tanks and hot water. Water heater is electric when Webasto is not on. Water can also be heated by engine when traveling. Fresh water tank capacity 51 Gal. Extras added: Turbo/max roof ventilator and Max/air roof ventilator. Grab handle, Magic Mesh magnetic screen door. Windshield fans. Sansui flat screen TV. More cabinet space and shelve. Outside light switch at bathroom door. GFI receptacle in bath. No smokers! No pets. $49,900.00 7179513963

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
That’s something you can’t quite test/perform at the dealer when purchasing, I can feel your pain. I’m curious on the hurricane review you will give us. Those guys love theirs on the other forum.

Would you still test the larger wheel tire combo, or was that specific to winny?

if they'll fit... probley try them as I have a set sitting at my shop...the cool thing is they are 8.5 aluminum rims with 255 tires,,, way over the gvwr so you can run lower air pressure and the wide rims won't let the tires walk...the 22.5 have a way slower wheel spin at 65 mph so you don't get as much of tire howl, and harmonic shake as the 19.5s... the 18k chassis has a pretty tall gear at 65 -70 it's only at 2k rpms and even with out a trailer doesn't like to pull 6th gear... but when towing you could just pull the lever to 4th when you get in the hills and use the two over drive gears for flat and down hill sections... gonna guess in 6th you'll be about 1400 rpms at 65... one coach I did this to I got 10 mpg going to havasu towing the boat..but you had to keep the speed @65 mph or more or it would drop to 3rd...so it got better mpg @ 70 mph than 60 mph

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
DUDE!!! I fuc'n hate you.... I can't stop look at that coach, and if it wasn't in Tennessee it would probley be at my house right now'

if it works like that.. it would be perfect for me..I had a Fleetwood discovery with that power.. not a rocket off the line... but got you down the road and sipped fuel...

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I wanna buy one from NADA...

Values
Suggested List — The value listed reflects the approximate price of the unit when it is brand new. The prices listed are furnished by the manufacturer and are assumed to be correct. The list price does not include freight charges." class="help price-label-td" style="border-bottom-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-image-outset: 0; border-image-repeat: stretch; border-image-slice: 100%; border-image-source: none; border-image-width: 1; border-left-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21.42px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; text-align: right; vertical-align: top;">
Suggested
List Price

Low Retail Value — A low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. This vehicle should be in safe running order. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots. Low retail is not a trade-in value." class="help price-label-td" style="border-bottom-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-image-outset: 0; border-image-repeat: stretch; border-image-slice: 100%; border-image-source: none; border-image-width: 1; border-left-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21.42px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; text-align: right; vertical-align: top;">
Low
Retail

Average Retail Value — An average retail vehicle should be clean and without glaring defects. Tires and glass should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. The interior should have wear in relation to the age of the vehicle. Carpet and seat upholstery should be clean, and all power options should work. The mileage should be within the acceptable range for the model year.

An Average Retail vehicle on a dealer lot may include a limited warranty or guarantee, and possibly a current safety and/or emission inspection (where applicable)." class="help price-label-td" style="border-bottom-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-image-outset: 0; border-image-repeat: stretch; border-image-slice: 100%; border-image-source: none; border-image-width: 1; border-left-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb(36, 45, 57); border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21.42px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; text-align: right; vertical-align: top;">
Average
Retail

Base Price
$166,020
$12,570
$15,150
Options (Add)

Total Price
$166,020
$12,570
$15,150

TCHB

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Winnebago 27Q with a living room slide out and a walk around rear bedroom. This was a great layout because you could use the entire motor home with slide in or out. The rear bedroom was very nice with the no pop out and walk around. If I sell my 2017 and I a going to buy another one just like it. For the wife and I it has plenty of room and granddaughter loved sleeping up on top.

Sunset

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Winnebago 27Q with a living room slide out and a walk around rear bedroom. This was a great layout because you could use the entire motor home with slide in or out. The rear bedroom was very nice with the no pop out and walk around. If I sell my 2017 and I a going to buy another one just like it. For the wife and I it has plenty of room and granddaughter loved sleeping up on top.
Sold I like the layout and counter space . What about the power ?

DaBank

Reaction score

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Steve, do you have the part numbers for the replacement shocks? mine is a 2012 ACE with the F53, the Ford chassis date is 2011. I want to start there, replace all 4.

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
Steve, what were the issues with your PA 33D?

What made you get rid of it?

TCHB

Reaction score
Sold I like the layout and counter space . What about the power ?
Power was never a issue. Went from Havasu all the way to Yellowstone and continue east to Mt. Rushmore. That RV had a 5 speed which was ok but now with the new 6 speed it is much nicer. My chassis is a E450 on both RVs.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Yes the 455 front wheel drive GMC. To me they are still ahead of anything that is built today, no they are not an off road machine or able to tow 15000 pounds but comfortable for 2 people. They have their quirks that are typical of GM in the 70's

So why no MCI for you Steve?

I had a 70’s Cadi El Dorado with the same engine/front wheel drive system. It was a rocket ship and fun to drive for a big boat. A lot of those GMC front drive motorhomes were converted to ambulance and mobile ICUs in the 70’s because you could open the whole back up and they had a low flat floor (front wheel drive) and they drove really smooth. Don’t know how long any of those lasted, seems a lot of weight and complexity on the front end to be hauling all that weight.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Steve, what were the issues with your PA 33D?

What made you get rid of it?
couldn't off road it at all, thought the windshied was gonna pop out... I bought the pusher as we were gonna sell the havasu home... wife said keep the house and sell the rv so that's what I did... I got a paid for coach and 80 k for the pa pusher..

spectras only

Reaction score
2FF, you should get that Newmar New Air.;) Would like to see what you'd do to it. If it was FS here in Canada I'd jump on it.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Ok, so I got the shocks ordered, I may do the Sumos also in the front.

Steve - what do you think about the Safe-T-Plus? I lost a rear tire last trip out, just makes we worry about a front going out, getting cut down. If it works, I would say it's worth the $500 once you get it dialed in. What are your thoughts?

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Also, what are the torque specs on the 19.5" wheels? I need to get an impact that can take those off, more of a nice to have at the house.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Reading up on the Blue Ox True Track also, it's a little spendy…. I like that you can adjust it while driving.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
^^^mine.

What do you guys use to get the bugs off the front after a trip to Parker/Havasu?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I started work on the hurricane 27b... on thing I noticed, with the pop outs in, there wasn't much room to walk between the sofa and dinette..behind the sofa, there is a sofa table (big box to cover the out side tv box).. to try and get more walk way room, I removed the sofa... then removed the big box...I did a mod like this before,.. but I found that thor made the tv box out of wood, where as the last one I did it was metal...with the cabinet removed I was able to pick up about 6'' of walk way..I stopped there because everything was closed to get supplies...and put it back together ,.. with 6'' more walk way... sure made a difference...I can get a couple more inches when I make an aluminum box to mount the tv, and make it to where the tv is closer to the outside tv box door... as is right now,.. the sofa is still able to lift to get to storage,.. but won't fold down all the way to flat....we never use the little sofa to flat...so it's ok for now....but would like it to work as intended.. so more work for latter...but as is now...able to have more walk space

DSC04534.JPG
DSC04535.JPG
DSC04536.JPG
DSC04538.JPG
DSC04539.JPG
DSC04544.JPG

TCHB

Reaction score
4BD3C34A-2482-426C-9A4C-3992D328E91B.jpeg
F4C5D24C-5D47-4818-8E32-532E2AFBFA0C.jpeg
RV Project Small one but makes it nicer.
Removed the old air conditioner grill assemble and installed the new one with vents going down as well as the side. Much quieter and more air where it was needed in the hot weather.

Raffit78

Reaction score
Steve,

How big of a project is it to add a tv outside?

Also, pos some post some pics of the hurricane exterior!

Congrats by the way.