WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prime Rib

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Bone in rib roast on sale at Stater Bro's for 5.77/lb. I picked up a nice 10.5lb, 5 bone roast that looks great. I am near the West Covina store on Azusa and their meat it always solid. They generally have 4 or more folks behind the counter so there is never really any wait. I am cooking it in my pit barrel cooker so not as worried about grade.

Ryph

Yup. My 5 bone was like 12 pounds though. I have to count. Maybe she pulled me six. Hmmm. Oh well leftovers are yummy.

But yeah you can eyeball them. It's all good meat. The biggest part of the grade has to do with the marbling. Seems I've never seen anything from there that wouldn't be at least select grade and sometimes score Choice. prime you gotta pay for but if using for a roast then select is fine. Marbling isn't as important as not just having junk with gobs of fat and gristle left on your plate.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
Yup. My 5 bone was like 12 pounds though. I have to count. Maybe she pulled me six. Hmmm. Oh well leftovers are yummy.

But yeah you can eyeball them. It's all good meat. The biggest part of the grade has to do with the marbling. Seems I've never seen anything from there that wouldn't be at least select grade and sometimes score Choice. prime you gotta pay for but if using for a roast then select is fine. Marbling isn't as important as not just having junk with gobs of fat and gristle left on your plate.

Not only do I not want to pay $25 + /lb I don't want to go near Costco right now. I might stroke out over the stress ... Corner butcher in La Verne has great meat but I just can't see paying all that when a really nice roast is on sale for $5.77/lb.

I'll try to post pics, sometimes I get to busy when I am cooking and forget to take any.

Ryph

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419467189.645189.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419467208.669926.jpg
I'll give it a go again. Got two on with cherry wood.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Did the shut off method last year, turned out awesome.:thumbsup
we bought a 9Lb from costco already seasoned...made it so simple and tasty.

Figure on a pound per person but go bigger because you will want leftovers:D
Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Costco had some nice ones today...come in their own cooking pan and full directions. I'm getting one for New Years Day.

From $60 to $120. Hope they still have them by New Years. I didn't want it sitting around for a week.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Ralphs is best price right now on sale for $6.88 a pound. Costco has the prime but it was $20 a LB and select was $15 a LB last time I was there before T-Day.

Ralphs has the worst meat ever. Stater Bros. has pretty good meet. Costco is not $20 per lb. I think it's like $12 or $13 a lb. Well worth it. Costco has the best retail meat around!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Ralphs has the worst meat ever. Stater Bros. has pretty good meet. Costco is not $20 per lb. I think it's like $12 or $13 a lb. Well worth it. Costco has the best retail meat around!

Albertson's is a few steps down from Ralphs, atleast the one by my house. The kid that works the meat dept at my ralphs lives across the street from me. I buy meat there 4 times a week for over 10 years now. I hit costco and Sams all the time as well. There is no Stater Bros by me. Costco has the bomb prime cut and Sams has a better grade than Ralphs as well. It all comes down to price per pound, for 15 people went with the ghetto ralphs cut, hopefully next year will be back to prime status.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Sounds good. Save some of the bones. I have never done this, but I got a new cook book for Christmas, it says the best, most nutritious, beef broth (or chicken or port or fish) comes from the bones.

Put some of the bones in water, boil, and then turn down and simmer for a few hours, or in a crock pot for 6 or 8 hours. It will have the best tasting, most healthy broth you ever had.

It will keep for months in the frig. Use it for any soups, chili or sauces you may need.

My sister has done this for years (and actually most humans have done this for thousands of years). There are nutrients in the bones that you get no where else.

Good luck!!

BajaMike

Reaction score
Albertson's is a few steps down from Ralphs, atleast the one by my house. The kid that works the meat dept at my ralphs lives across the street from me. I buy meat there 4 times a week for over 10 years now. I hit costco and Sams all the time as well. There is no Stater Bros by me. The $20 a pound is there best cut and then $12 or $15 for next step. I know its worth it but when you are feeding 15+ that never eat anything half way decent it works out great. I am getting ready to prep it and I guarantee all 20.3Lbs of meat and bones will be consumed. If I would not have got the run around this last few weeks from my building inspector, even the dogs would be eaten the Costco Prime tomorrow. Have to settle for less but fuck it inspectors need a power trip every now and then.

The meat dept kid should be able to get you lots of bones (I know this sounds gross). But bake or BBQ them for 30 to 45 min then boil in water for broth.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Sounds good. Save some of the bones. I have never done this, but I got a new cook book for Christmas, it says the best, most nutritious, beef broth (or chicken or port or fish) comes from the bones.

Put some of the bones in water, boil, and then turn down and simmer for a few hours, or in a crock pot for 6 or 8 hours. It will have the best tasting, most healthy broth you ever had.

It will keep for months in the frig. Use it for any soups, chili or sauces you may need.

My sister has done this for years (and actually most humans have done this for thousands of years). There are nutrients in the bones that you get no where else.

Good luck!!
A couple pounds of bones will make several gallons of stock. And it's easy, just throw some un-pealed, quartered veggies (carrots, onions, and celery are traditional) in a couple gallons of water, with the roasted bones and boil it all for a few of hours. Add salt to taste. Strain the stock and put it in the fridge or freezer.

Always Floored

Reaction score
Fingers crossed doing the leave in oven method. Never done it this way, kinda scary.

pipemn

Reaction score
I want you to try something new this year and it will be the best Rib Roast you have ever cook.Insert a thermometer and set the Traeger on high when it gets 450* put the rib roast on for 40 minutes then back it down to 250* and cook until the the IT is 135* don't open the lid. It will crisp the outside an have the smoke flavor that you are looking for. Let it rest for 20 and enjoy.
used your method on 6lb prime wife says best she ever ate I totally agree:thumbup::thumbup:

Ultra28

Reaction score
Smoked this 18lb, 7 bone prime rib. Just coated with Montreal and Traeger prime rib rub. Took 6 hours at 225 to get 135 internal. Came out perfect medium rare. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419552980.968880.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did the oven method with the 20 pounder. Started at 390 for the hour let it sit 2 and a half then back on at 375 for 45 min. Came out perfect ouside ribs were med well next two inners medium and the rest on the rare side. The 375 start would keep it how it should be but half my family wont touch it if they see red. So it worked out perfect. Dogs are handling the bones and scraps now.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Costco had some nice ones today...come in their own cooking pan and full directions. I'm getting one for New Years Day.

From $60 to $120. Hope they still have them by New Years. I didn't want it sitting around for a week.

We picked up 2 more Wednesday a 13 and 8 lber. Decided we will do them tonight when things are less crazy. Well, that's we thought anyway. LOL. We now have 18 for dinner, Oh well. Good food , good strong drinks and all will be good in my little world.:D

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Baked a 4-1/2 lb. boneless prime for Christmas Day dinner. We've buying ours at AJ's and paying a little over $25 per pound. I'll have to try the Costco choice cut and see if it's much different.

Attachments

• IMG_20141225_144641_750.jpg
    IMG_20141225_144641_750.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20141225_144706_010.jpg
    IMG_20141225_144706_010.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 177

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Finally get to have Prime Rib for Christmas. I bought a 15 lbs Bone In, with the ribs cut off and tied back on. I will season tomorrow and dry age in the fridge for two days until Christmas Day. Pictures to come.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Eating a small bone in ribeye roast for dinner tonight. Ralphs 4.77 a lb. Had him cut me a 1 bone slice. $11 steak. Will cook 2 big ones on Christmas. Testing.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Rubbed down with softened butter and seasoning. I untied and took the ribs off, seasoned and buttered in between, then tied the ribs back on. In the fridge it goes. I can't wait.
20171223_084117.jpg
20171223_090818.jpg

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Rubbed down with softened butter and seasoning. I untied and took the ribs off, seasoned and buttered in between, then tied the ribs back on. In the fridge it goes. I can't wait. View attachment 609416 View attachment 609417

I did the same thing for my folks for Christmas dinner. Man, frenching the bones was a pain in the ass, glad I took the rack off and retied, I think being able to get more seasoning down there helped too. This year, however, was my first doing prime rib sous vide, I wanted to free up room and time in the oven for all the other stuff. I sous vide for 6 hours and then finished it off in the oven for an hour at high heat to get a nice sear and texture on it. It was a hit. Juicy and tender, but I think the convenience more than than improved product was the main outcome of sous vide rather than traditional roast.

prime1.jpeg
prime2.jpeg
prime3.jpeg
prime4.jpg

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Bought a boneless prime rib and cut it into steaks. Then grilled them with sweet onions and mushrooms.

Fucking so goddammed good.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I did the same thing for my folks for Christmas dinner. Man, frenching the bones was a pain in the ass, glad I took the rack off and retied, I think being able to get more seasoning down there helped too. This year, however, was my first doing prime rib sous vide, I wanted to free up room and time in the oven for all the other stuff. I sous vide for 6 hours and then finished it off in the oven for an hour at high heat to get a nice sear and texture on it. It was a hit. Juicy and tender, but I think the convenience more than than improved product was the main outcome of sous vide rather than traditional roast.

View attachment 611384 View attachment 611385 View attachment 611386 View attachment 611387

I was contemplating doing one sous vide. I bought a 12lb roast and decided to go with the fried and true 500 degree bake and rest method. I was going tot ext you to see if you had done one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I was contemplating doing one sous vide. I bought a 12lb roast and decided to go with the fried and true 500 degree bake and rest method. I was going tot ext you to see if you had done one yet.

After doing several both ways, I don’t think end product wise sous vide is any better, but is super convenient. Your oven baked method will be a hit I am sure. I am doing a leg of lamb in the oven tomorrow. 2 shepherds pies tonight, and sous vide prime rib on New Years I think.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
After doing several both ways, I don’t think end product wise sous vide is any better, but is super convenient. Your oven baked method will be a hit I am sure. I am doing a leg of lamb in the oven tomorrow. 2 shepherds pies tonight, and sous vide prime rib on New Years I think.

That’s good to know.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Oven shut off method. I had to work till 2:30 so I just bought a Costco pre seasoned. FUCKING BOMB!!
IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7446.jpg

IMG_7445.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg

IMG_7448.jpg

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Can someone remind me on the shut off recipe for a 10 pound bone in roast today. I usually do a slow cook but love the idea of the dark outer coating!

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Can someone remind me on the shut off recipe for a 10 pound bone in roast today. I usually do a slow cook but love the idea of the dark outer coating!
5min per pound then turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven for 2 hrs. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!! I then probed it for temp. it was at 119, so I turned the temp back up to 400 for about 10 min.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
5min per pound then turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven for 2 hrs. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!! I then probed it for temp. it was at 119, so I turned the temp back up to 400 for about 10 min.
It got to 123 and I pulled it. I had a 10 pounder too. So 50min then off.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
On the shut off method. Are you letting the meat rise to room temp before putting in??

NicPaus

Reaction score
On the shut off method. Are you letting the meat rise to room temp before putting in??

Not quite room temp. Pull out of fridge 3 hours before. Never let any meat get that warmed up before cooking.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
On the shut off method. Are you letting the meat rise to room temp before putting in?
Not quite room temp. Pull out of fridge 3 hours before. Never let any meat get that warmed up before cooking.

I let mine sit out for an hour before cooking (15 lbs), and I had to cook at little more after two hours of resting in the oven. It turned out great. I think next time, I will let it set out for 3 hours.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Didn’t mean room temp. But let it come up. Usually I sous vide so it doesn’t matter.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Didn’t mean room temp. But let it come up. Usually I sous vide so it doesn’t matter.

I have cooked them straight out the fridge and they come out great but smaller 2-3 bone. Have a 10 lb one been out for 3 hours now going in oven in about a hour. Not sure how much the internal temp actually changes from when pulled from fridge. If you have someone that likes it bloody rare might be best to leave it cold.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I just shut down the oven after 55 minutes, and its resting in the hot oven. Looking at the internal temp now, it is only 71 degrees. I think I should have let it rest out of the fridge for a few more hours.

We got 7 people coming for dinner in less than 2 hours and something tells me this roast will be burnt on the outside and cold on the inside.

I'm nervous as a whore in church currently.

thmterry

Reaction score
Our 1st prime rib in the Big Easy 11lbs of joy. I cant wait:D
20181225_142557.jpg

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I just shut down the oven after 55 minutes, and its resting in the hot oven. Looking at the internal temp now, it is only 71 degrees. I think I should have let it rest out of the fridge for a few more hours.

We got 7 people coming for dinner in less than 2 hours and something tells me this roast will be burnt on the outside and cold on the inside.

I'm nervous as a whore in church currently.
What temperature are you cooking at?

NicPaus

Reaction score
I just 500 for 40 minutes then off on 10lb. Once everyone gets here at 5 will turn it back on to 350-400 depending on how quick they want to eat. Never opening it.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My go to seasoning. Throw a piece if foil on sheet to rotate it around so seasoning spread equally. Make sure you elevate it off pan. Cover bottom with foil to clean easy. If smaller 3-6 lb I just been baking them at 350. This 10lb I preheated to 500 then after 40 minutes turned it off. Never open oven in a hour hour and a half will turn it back on at 350-400 depending on how quick they want to eat.

Have a 6lb filet going to seer in oil butter mix then throw in oven at 450 for 15 minutes.

Got 16 adults and 10 kids or so to feed. Usually figure 3/4-1lb for adults kids 1/4 lb.
20181225_144123.jpg
20181225_145129.jpg
20181225_145541.jpg

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I just 500 for 40 minutes then off on 10lb. Once everyone gets here at 5 will turn it back on to 350-400 depending on how quick they want to eat. Never opening it.
My go to seasoning. Throw a piece if foil on sheet to rotate it around so seasoning spread equally. Make sure you elevate it off pan. Cover bottom with foil to clean easy. If smaller 3-6 lb I just been baking them at 350. This 10lb I preheated to 500 then after 40 minutes turned it off. Never open oven in a hour hour and a half will turn it back on at 350-400 depending on how quick they want to eat.

Have a 6lb filet going to seer in oil butter mix then throw in oven at 450 for 15 minutes.

Got 16 adults and 10 kids or so to feed. Usually figure 3/4-1lb for adults kids 1/4 lb. View attachment 713379 View attachment 713380 View attachment 713381
We use a similar process as you, my question was in regards to post # 138

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I cooked it at 500 degrees. It never rose above 113 degrees and the oven was no longer hot. I fired up the oven until it reached about 126 degrees, and it came out about perfect. Everyone was happy and next time, I'm going to use my normal roasting pan, and cook it at 350 until it hits 124 degrees, then take it out. Way less stress that way.

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
01519869-79C8-46E5-AFE7-B4FFB14CD7CE.jpeg
FCAE29A1-265C-4194-9B6E-726B5A6AC163.jpeg
20 lb ,7 , bone only before pic no after pics. 19 family members sit down good day.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Million dollar question. How do you reheat it without ruining it?

DWC

Reaction score
Million dollar question. How do you reheat it without ruining it?

Pretty much impossible. We do the rare/middle pieces in beef stock on low simmer. Most of it will be Philly cheesesteaks this week.