WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Liberator Boats - possible purchase info

HBCraig

Reaction score
Gang,
My Dad is seriously thinking of buying a 21' Liberator tunnel with a 300R.

Does anyone have any experience with this? There was an RDP board member on here that had one but I forgot who it is. If there is anyone that has reasons for or against this boat and the 300R, let me know them.

He is getting up there in years and needs a full blown turnkey boat.

He has a 21' Ultra I/O now with a 350Mag.

thanks in advance

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That’s a pretty big jump in performance! That boat should run in the 90’s

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

buck35

Reaction score
My neighbor has one either a 19 or 21 with a 400 rude on the back . I've been over 90 in it.:eek::eek:

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Gang,

Does anyone have any experience with this? There was an RDP board member on here that had one but I forgot who it is. If there is anyone that has reasons for or against this boat and the 300R, let me know them.

thanks in advance

King of Beers is a member who just bought one.
Might check out the Outboard Church here on RDP for some good info.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I've seen lots of video of Randy driving those with one hand at speed. Seem to handle quite well.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
111 with the 300r. Ive talked to Randy several times over the years, great guy and he always picks up the phone. Its hard to ignore his pricing for a brand new boat, mid 60's if I recall correctly, roughly half the price for a comparable Eliminator Daytona. The build level is a bit higher notch on the Eliminators, but for the price its hard to pass up the Liberator.

FUN4ME

Reaction score
SS5.jpeg

hi Craig i had one for almost 9 years.
300 xs it was a great boat, would run 85 to 90 almost every day, best ever was 99.8 with a 27" prop
super easy to get in and out of , easy to trailer ect.

it was a great boat for that time in my life, i would not hesitate to buy another one.
Erich

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Gang,

thanks in advance

Greg, it was Erich - FUN4ME that had one. I’ve got his number if you need it. His was very nice and ran hard.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My neighbor has one either a 19 or 21 with a 400 rude on the back . I've been over 90 in it.:eek::eek:
400 Rude? I believe you mean 300? Unless it was warmed over by someone....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HBCraig

Reaction score

HBCraig

Reaction score
Greg, it was Erich - FUN4ME that had one. I’ve got his number if you need it. His was very nice and ran hard.
If I remember he ran with us from the springs to the channel a few years back; with Kevin as well.

Magic1

Reaction score
I had a 21 for a few years. Had a 300 Pro Max that Simon Motorsports did work one including a EFI System. Did not hold much gas had a rear tank, no stringers at all in the boat so in rough water she would flex. I would run a Bravo 28 most times and it work great ran in the high 80s. I also had a Masco 32 that I would run by myself with the motor jacked up and in would break 100 . Some days were faster then others depending on the water. I hit a wake one day coming back from Topoc and the hull separated so it was done. The one I had seamed to be a very thin layup. Not sure of others. IMO good lower river boat not good for heavy chop.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
111 with the 300r. Ive talked to Randy several times over the years, great guy and he always picks up the phone. Its hard to ignore his pricing for a brand new boat, mid 60's if I recall correctly, roughly half the price for a comparable Eliminator Daytona. The build level is a bit higher notch on the Eliminators, but for the price its hard to pass up the Liberator.

They are liberating your wallet over there.

TCHB

Reaction score
I was out in a pretty fast outboard boat and this couple rode about 40ft over from us at 90mph in this Liberty with a 300 Mercury on the back. I was suprised the lady just hung on with a smile!!!!!! The boat seemed to ride really nice.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not even in the ballpark. He’s claiming 111. [emoji15]

Cheaper alternative to the $5000 Mercury CNC prop
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=10383&share_tid=195583&share_pid=3227767&url=https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/index.php?posts/3227767/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Lord!!

I drove Barney's old 21 Liberator a few times and it would run upper 90's pretty handily. I think he finally got it dialed into the point where it would break a 100 with a 300x but I'd have to ask him. He hasn't been around years though.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had a 21 for a few years. Had a 300 Pro Max that Simon Motorsports did work one including a EFI System. Did not hold much gas had a rear tank, no stringers at all in the boat so in rough water she would flex. I would run a Bravo 28 most times and it work great ran in the high 80s. I also had a Masco 32 that I would run by myself with the motor jacked up and in would break 100 . Some days were faster then others depending on the water. I hit a wake one day coming back from Topoc and the hull separated so it was done. The one I had seamed to be a very thin layup. Not sure of others. IMO good lower river boat not good for heavy chop.

I haven't been in a lot of Liberators, but as said right above I drove Barney's a few times, and I went in both of his probably 5 - 6 times. I had the exact opposite experience, we were running that thing on a pretty windy day down in Havasu and the lake was big (but consistent), I was running 85 - 90 in that thing running across the tops of the swells and it was no problem at all. When we did finally hit a wave larger than the rest that boat had what felt like a 3 second hang time and when it came down it was plush and we kept on ripping. Boat had no flex, and honestly I was blown away at the capabilities of a small Cat like that if you can get it running and up on top of stuff.

RD

PlanB

Reaction score
Not even in the ballpark. He’s claiming 111. [emoji15]

Cheaper alternative to the $5000 Mercury CNC prop
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=10383&share_tid=195583&share_pid=3227767&url=https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/index.php?posts/3227767/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this posted on FB about a week ago. I think the advertised price with a 300R was about 68k. If I was in the market for a small fast OB, I would seriously take a good look at this setup.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Oro1.jpeg
20181110_122909.jpg
Ive got the first one that had a 300R on it. Its a blast. Randy is a cool cat that always picks up his phone to talk about setup, this, that, whatever questions you may have. For the money, I dont think you can beat it. The 300R is a sweet little powerplant. It will run all day WOT on 87 octane swampwater.

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about these but they look a lot like the dcb/ eliminator hull. Any simalarities ? Or cross pollination in the history?

I always liked those little tunnels.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What happened to him?

Readers digest version he got caught up in some stuff in his earlier years (distributor for weed). The cops rolled a false stop and didn't know what to do so they had to let him go. Well when they let him go he didn't stick around to figure out what they were going to "eventually" charge him with so he skedaddled, moved to Havasu and basically just started living a different life under a different name.

He opened up his gel shop and was living a pretty good life out here and working on boats etc.. Long story short some guy knew about his little secret and got caught up on a drug charge or something to that effect.. The guy basically told the cops if they go easy on him he'd tell them all about this guy that's living this secret life in Havasu etc.. Cops caught up to Barney, Barney went to Club Fed for awhile. When he got out he changed his life, and boating forums weren't part of the new program.

I always liked Barney, I miss seeing him around.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about these but they look a lot like the dcb/ eliminator hull. Any simalarities ? Or cross pollination in the history?

I always liked those little tunnels.

21 Daytona splash if I remember right.. Actually I think most of the liberator models are splashes of some sort? I think the 25 is a 24 Skater the 30 is a 28 Skater etc. The 183 is an STV I think?

That all said proven boats at a great price point.

RD

Dana757

Reaction score
Barney was always cool to me. I had a weird feeling and picked my boat up with the gel unfinished. About a week later he got popped and a I was happy my boat wasn't locked in his shop.
I drove his first one and it was bad ass!

buck35

Reaction score
400 Rude? I believe you mean 300? Unless it was warmed over by someone....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
You are right I am sure ,I just remember that is was big.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I would assume the Liberator 25 would be a better deal for Havasu chop. Not sure what the price is on those, assume quite a jump more with a single 400r.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I think these boats are painted and not multi color in Gel. Curious as to the pros-cons of that. Perhaps I am showing my ignorance, if so I apologize in advance.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I think these boats are painted and not multi color in Gel. Curious as to the pros-cons of that. Perhaps I am showing my ignorance, if so I apologize in advance.
Randy paints them himself.

Edit.

I've also had the great opportunity to chat with Randy on the phone as well. He's been very helpful with sourcing things I've been after. Always has a few minutes to answer questions. Good guy.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Some are Gel. Mine is. Randy does paint the solid hulls he gets.

Taboma

Reaction score
Randy paints them himself.

Edit.

I've also had the great opportunity to chat with Randy on the phone as well. He's been very helpful with sourcing things I've been after. Always has a few minutes to answer questions. Good guy.

I've read some of Randy's posts on the Church and I'm not exactly clear on his Liberator connection and or ownership. Does he acquire the hulls from Liberator and rig them, or is he Liberator and just has somebody else lay them up and he takes it from there ?

Headless hula

Reaction score
I've read some of Randy's posts on the Church and I'm not exactly clear on his Liberator connection and or ownership. Does he acquire the hulls from Liberator and rig them, or is he Liberator and just has somebody else lay them up and he takes it from there ?
I think he buys bare hulls and does his thing.

playdeep

Reaction score
Readers digest version he got caught up in some stuff in his earlier years (distributor for weed). The cops rolled a false stop and didn't know what to do so they had to let him go. Well when they let him go he didn't stick around to figure out what they were going to "eventually" charge him with so he skedaddled, moved to Havasu and basically just started living a different life under a different name.

He opened up his gel shop and was living a pretty good life out here and working on boats etc.. Long story short some guy knew about his little secret and got caught up on a drug charge or something to that effect.. The guy basically told the cops if they go easy on him he'd tell them all about this guy that's living this secret life in Havasu etc.. Cops caught up to Barney, Barney went to Club Fed for awhile. When he got out he changed his life, and boating forums weren't part of the new program.

RD

Barney did some gel work on one of my Eliminator's back in the day.
He did an excellent job...and was stupid cheap
Wierd...he was completely different in real life than his Havasu Barney online persona.

Deckin Around

Reaction score

RD
In his Liberator, he took my wife and I and 2 of her friends around the island in Havasu in 2 foot chop at 94 miles an hour. His goal was to go fast enough to make bikini tops fall off.
:D He was a solid dude, I'm sure he's around.
Havasu PD/feds confiscated everything, his story is sucks. They took his 24 foot skater he was building/rigging for years with twins, 2 trucks, everything down to his golf clubs and rolls of pennies...... So Havasu PD keeps the trucks. Barney is then out on bail and actually has a pd officer show up to his shop and ask him for the keys to the utility bed on one of the trucks:eek::mad::mad:

I met Barney when he changed some colors on our gelcoat (bitchen job), he was a hard working dude.

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
I would assume the boats that come from the factory are full gel coat?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

He’s basically a dealer, he gets bare hulls from Texas and Riggs them, you can also buy them direct from the factory in Texas.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
He’s basically a dealer, he gets bare hulls from Texas and Riggs them, you can also buy them direct from the factory in Texas.

Huh, so that’s how he does it.
I’ve always wondered about that [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FUN4ME

Reaction score
I'll add just a bit more
i would let anyone drive my boat at 60 or less it wasn't twitchy or in any way unpredictable. My wife was comfortable driving and riding at about 60, so that became the sweet spot for us.
It got great mileage there too, we went from Laughlin to Havasu Springs and back...We actually could have done it in 1tank. But I added a few gallons in Topock on the way back just to be safe.

We were only out one time on lake Mojave that was over our comfort level, it was one of the LVHB regattas. We went back to Catherine landing then trailers up to Cottonwood cove.

in reality we shouldn't have been in the big basin in a 21 foot boat, of any make, just my opinion.

if you want my number just ask and ill send it your way

Erich

Magic1

Reaction score
I haven't been in a lot of Liberators, but as said right above I drove Barney's a few times, and I went in both of his probably 5 - 6 times. I had the exact opposite experience, we were running that thing on a pretty windy day down in Havasu and the lake was big (but consistent), I was running 85 - 90 in that thing running across the tops of the swells and it was no problem at all. When we did finally hit a wave larger than the rest that boat had what felt like a 3 second hang time and when it came down it was plush and we kept on ripping. Boat had no flex, and honestly I was blown away at the capabilities of a small Cat like that if you can get it running and up on top of stuff.

RD

Your right on consistent ( windy ) days it would rip, I used to love running mine up to the BBSP in the spring that almost always had wind. But heavy chop was bad, my definition of heavy chop is Saturdays in the summer. Very inconsistent and rough. I put over 400 hrs on that boat and knew it very well. mine you sat low in because the seats sit on the floor because it had no stringers. Maybe now they do I do not know. I lately sold my 21 Daytona with stringers and it rode much more solid. IMO if you gonna run it on the river ( not Parker on a holiday ) or the lake m-f you will love it, super light and fast.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Perfect. My Dad goes to havasu Sunday to Thursday

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
View attachment 724617 View attachment 724618 Ive got the first one that had a 300R on it. Its a blast. Randy is a cool cat that always picks up his phone to talk about setup, this, that, whatever questions you may have. For the money, I dont think you can beat it. The 300R is a sweet little powerplant. It will run all day WOT on 87 octane swampwater.
Really nice rig.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
awesome man.

It was hard to keep up to you 2 I will tell you that. But, we will do it again. ;)

Hopefully we can get together soon and have a few cold ones while reminiscing about the good ole days? LOL Hope to see you on the water this summer.

Dog boy

Reaction score
IMG_1519.JPG
Gang,

thanks in advance
Loved my 21 Lib with a 300X.It ran 92MPH with a 28 prop and really felt comfortable at that speed.Talk to Randy in Florida he's the best and will give you any and all info you need to know about the boat.For the price you cannot get a better boat.Feel free to contact me if you want any more info on my experience with the 21 Liberator.
Joe

Kennie

Reaction score
Gang,

thanks in advance
I have one of Randy’s 21 foot 2010 with a 300 XS. Build quality and rigging are awesome. Handles a 2 foot chop no problem. Real head Turning boats that get attention wherever you go. I have hit 102 mph on the GPS with 1/2 tank of fuel by myself on-board. With a full tank and 5 people I hit 85-90 plus all day long. Gets lift around 65 mph and cruises effortlessly at 75. I have had many boats but this one is special and I would highly recommend one. Tons of fun and safe to pilot, even my kids love taking it out. Cheers and good luck with your decision.

Attachments

• A7E2F0B0-7E21-4DD9-A143-9BA2FF44082B.jpeg
    A7E2F0B0-7E21-4DD9-A143-9BA2FF44082B.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 223
  • F4FC887B-329B-4E5A-A367-2D8B89A5A38C.png
    F4FC887B-329B-4E5A-A367-2D8B89A5A38C.png
    806.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 1A2F5707-3427-4E90-8455-DDDCA4EBA908.jpeg
    1A2F5707-3427-4E90-8455-DDDCA4EBA908.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 912A106A-4A61-4555-B920-E1669AFE193A.jpeg
    912A106A-4A61-4555-B920-E1669AFE193A.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 6CB05CDF-7F2F-4997-8AE1-21062B13EE97.jpeg
    6CB05CDF-7F2F-4997-8AE1-21062B13EE97.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 265
  • F137157E-2FB4-457E-B40D-207412131259.jpeg
    F137157E-2FB4-457E-B40D-207412131259.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 056C87F8-B336-4450-97C3-13A60D10D479.jpeg
    056C87F8-B336-4450-97C3-13A60D10D479.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 226

J.P.

Reaction score
Kennie. I remember when Wildman painted your boat I thought it came out great,.. damn its been 10 years.