WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is “too early” for boat start-up on the Parker Strip?

92 cole

Reaction score
When I was racing NJBA back in the early "80" @7am the word was "okay racers time to get your;e bottoms wet". from then on it was engine noise until first call to the rope. MAN do I miss those days. Brings tears to my eyes even now! M

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I have a few days next week that I might just have to come by to watch the runs. Who will be there on what day and what is the best place to watch?

cofooter is always in need of an observer. :)

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It's a sliding scale, the faster/ more power, the earlier it can start.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
This a few years back, Billy B thought it would be fun to tow down from Needles (early) and wake up the Red Rock campground during one of the annual v-drive vacations. Unfortunately, word leaked out and everyone was waiting for them. Still fun even though I wanted to sleep in.

Last edited:

nrbr

Reaction score
I'll be up early waiting from here!
20190404_191652.jpg

1homeblown

Reaction score
I talked to you last year for about 15 minutes, you told me the history about your boat/dad and Hemi's!

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303] Heavy boat, heavy engine,...tons o’ fun. [emoji631][emoji16] I’m proud of it. I think it came out pretty bitchin. Still dialing it and myself in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheeler

Reaction score
You're very hard to find. We've been in the neighborhood almost 2 years and only seen you once. You're like bigfoot.

I look down the street and never see anyone home. You should spend more time in Parker. :D

old rigger

Reaction score
I look down the street and never see anyone home. You should spend more time in Parker. :D

We try to average every other week but sometimes it's just once a month in the winter. We were there last weekend, brought you down a cup of coffee Sat morn while I ran the dog on the beach but couldn't find you.

92 cole

Reaction score
I have been going to the parker strip all my life and love it to this day. As far as red rock campground it is now and has been for a while sandbar resort, I went there 2 years ago and am going back in late september this year. My family and I growing up years ago (about 50 years ago) went to places such as polynesian village, big bend, toms landing and of course red rock. Then the racing started and we were at blue water. Now that I live on a lake I don't get to "THE STRIP" as often as I wish I could. I was there 2 years ago in september and will be back this september about the same thing will happen, I will be in tears looking at the river I grew up on from the 60's. then first thing will be launch my river cruiser and cruise from dam to the bottom to blue water and go thru memories the whole way, stopping once in awhile to toss the grand kids in the water for a dip. Sorry about the long winded response but I had to take a walk down memory lane with a tear in BOTH my eyes. Mark

Wheeler

Reaction score
We try to average every other week but sometimes it's just once a month in the winter. We were there last weekend, brought you down a cup of coffee Sat morn while I ran the dog on the beach but couldn't find you.

If you listen to sharp shooter, you must be patient with me. I was most likely in my wheelchair making my way down to the docks. :D

old rigger

Reaction score
I have been going to the parker strip all my life and love it to this day. As far as red rock campground it is now and has been for a while sandbar resort, I went there 2 years ago and am going back in late september this year. My family and I growing up years ago (about 50 years ago) went to places such as polynesian village, big bend, toms landing and of course red rock. Then the racing started and we were at blue water. Now that I live on a lake I don't get to "THE STRIP" as often as I wish I could. I was there 2 years ago in september and will be back this september about the same thing will happen, I will be in tears looking at the river I grew up on from the 60's. then first thing will be launch my river cruiser and cruise from dam to the bottom to blue water and go thru memories the whole way, stopping once in awhile to toss the grand kids in the water for a dip. Sorry about the long winded response but I had to take a walk down memory lane with a tear in BOTH my eyes. Mark

If you see our Spectra at the dock, about 1000 feet up river from Roadrunners, stop by and we can compare stories. Been coming here since '61 when I was 5. I'm sure our paths have crossed.

When I make a run at the crack of dawn in our boat it usually just lulls everyone to sleep.

fullsizeoutput_3022.jpeg

old rigger

Reaction score

Damn that's cool.
Have you seen that all flake (I can't see most colors) Byers that the couple that live half way to your place on our street picked up last year? SBC with 3 two's. Got to ride in it when they put it in for the first time. Its very cool. They have a place almost across the street from 'Puddle Head"and she's been going there her whole life. Can't remember their names, they were their last weekend too.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Awsome videos guys . :)
I do my best to do , hammer down wake up alarms , when I'm out there . Usually during the week Monday - Wednesday , nothing sounds or feels better , pushing the pedal down on the river rods on morning glass, getting the strip up early enough to give everyone a nice long day.
Usually on my way back , I see life at most camp sites and are roaring to go, for the days festivities.
I'm sure some don't get it , but most give a thumbs up.
On the Water camping, at the Strip is why we have been going there for 50 years. Oh sure it has changed, but there is still that feeling , I don't get anywhere else.

If we ain't causing a trouble with lots of noisy passes , we are out there getting our skiing on.
Cheers

Wheeler

Reaction score
Damn that's cool.
Have you seen that all flake (I can't see most colors) Byers that the couple that live half way to your place on our street picked up last year? SBC with 3 two's. Got to ride in it when they put it in for the first time. Its very cool. They have a place almost across the street from 'Puddle Head"and she's been going there her whole life. Can't remember their names, they were their last weekend too.

Larry and Karen?

92 cole

Reaction score
If you see our Spectra at the dock, about 1000 feet up river from Roadrunners, stop by and we can compare stories. Been coming here since '61 when I was 5. I'm sure our paths have crossed.

When I make a run at the crack of dawn in our boat it usually just lulls everyone to sleep.

View attachment 742175
Back in the day the boat in your'e picture was the cats ass on the river. Mostly old outboards like what we had, an old 16' regatta with a flying scott 65 h/p. I will be at sandbar resort spots 39-40. My eliminator 20 will be in the water with colors DSC00001 (1).JPG and the bimini up. September 21-25. Unless were out for a ski or cruise. Mark

Attachments

• DSC00001 (1).JPG
    DSC00001 (1).JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 191

old rigger

Reaction score
Back in the day the boat in your'e picture was the cats ass on the river. Mostly old outboards like what we had, an old 16' regatta with a flying scott 65 h/p. I will be at sandbar resort spots 39-40. My eliminator 20 will be in the water with colors View attachment 742183 and the bimini up. September 21-25. Unless were out for a ski or cruise. Mark

My folks and I in both pics. '65 at River Lodge with one of the first Tahiti's out of the mold. That wasn't our boat though, the mahogany plywood flatbottom was. Pic was taken in '61 at Bullhead. Ran a 75 hp evinrude, ran 52 mph with dads good 2 blade prop. Still my all time favorite boat.
2 of my dads friends had 16 Regatta's running 100 mercs. Both had home made hand pumped hydraulic trim systems. So did that Tahiti in the pic.
IMG_2758.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG

Last edited:

Wheeler

Reaction score
Maybe? We're still learning who everyone is. I have a map that shows who's who, I should look at the damn thing.

If I knew who "Puddin Head" was I could be more helpful.:D

Larry drives a black truck and they have an orange RZR type of thing. They (larry and karen) live next to the walkway and next to durst.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Holy shit dude...

I didn't know you had video of the Bennett's boat! Who's driving Clayton's old boat??

I learned to ski behind Firewater! LoL

I'm not sure. All I know is that crazy indian brought his family and friends out for the weekend. :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure. All I know is that crazy indian brought his family and friends out for the weekend. :D

I was probably with them for the first few years, but that vid is Way past my time of hanging out with that crew.

Brian passed, and his Biesemeyer went to shit. It still looks good in that vid though.

Crazy days...

Wheeler

Reaction score
I was probably with them for the first few years, but that vid is Way past my time of hanging out with that crew.

Brian passed, and his Biesemeyer went to shit. It still looks good in that vid though.

Crazy days...

The video was taken about 4 years ago. Just after I got rid of my flip phone.

Keith has always seemed like a cool cat. He's had his house here as long or longer than me. His group could get a little wild at times, might of been the "Firewater".

old rigger

Reaction score
If I knew who "Puddin Head" was I could be more helpful.:D

Larry drives a black truck and they have an orange RZR type of thing. They (larry and karen) live next to the walkway and next to durst.

That's them.
I can't remember the guy across the street from them, Puddle Head, but he lives there. Puddle is name of that old that old ski race flrtbottom he picked up from the dump last year, I see he's got it rigged now. He's got an old Tahiti cruiser in the rear storage yard, he was also badly burned agape point in his life...lumber mill fire? Something like that.

Wheeler

Reaction score
That's them.
I can't remember the guy across the street from them, Puddle Head, but he lives there. Puddle is name of that old that old ski race flrtbottom he picked up from the dump last year, I see he's got it rigged now. He's got an old Tahiti cruiser in the rear storage yard, he was also badly burned agape point in his life...lumber mill fire? Something like that.

That's John Roller aka Flat Bottom John. :D

View attachment 742236
John's Sanger 007 - Edited.jpg
John's Sanger 048 - Edited.jpg
John's Sanger 047 - Edited.jpg
0 (3).jpg
0 (6).jpg
John's Sanger 047-2 (1).jpg
John's Sanger 080.jpg
Sunday August 29 042.jpg
Flat Bottom John 074 (1).jpg