WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gator Step

jesco

Reaction score
Had Bob at Shockwave install Gator Step on the Duce Duce deck last week, this stuff is AWESOME!!!

Attachments

• gatorstep1.jpg
    gatorstep1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 540
  • gatorstep2.jpg
    gatorstep2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 545

Dirtbag

Reaction score
that came out awesome!!!!!!!!!!

prosthogod

Reaction score
Can you give an idea how much that cost you?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Looks great.:thumbup:
A year ago no body here knew what this stuff was....now it's becoming the next best thing since sliced bread.
I dig my SeaDek.:thumbup: I'll never put carpet in a boat again.

Scott E

Reaction score
Is it hot to the touch after exposure to 100+ degree heat all day? Is there a concern about mold development if it gets under the stuff and does not get a chance to thoroughly dryout? Or is that not a worry given the aforementioned 100+ degree heat?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Is it hot to the touch after exposure to 100+ degree heat all day? Is there a concern about mold development if it gets under the stuff and does not get a chance to thoroughly dryout? Or is that not a worry given the aforementioned 100+ degree heat?

I have the same grey color and yes it does get very warm but I wouldn't say hot/hot. If your feet are wet you don't really notice the warmth. That's where I felt the biggest difference between it and carpet.
It's a closed cell material so mold is a non-issue nor does water get under it. The beauty of it is it's a simple hose down and light brush(if nec) to clean.
Now that I've lived with it for a whole summer, what I noticed about the heat on it is that direct overhead sunlight gets it hot, but when the sun hits it at an angle it didn't take on any heat.

jesco

Reaction score
Looks great.:thumbup:
A year ago no body here knew what this stuff was....now it's becoming the next best thing since sliced bread.
I dig my SeaDek.:thumbup: I'll never put carpet in a boat again.

Your boat was what sold me on it. I had been looking at it the week before you posted your install, after seeing your boat I had no doubts.

Sbarry

Reaction score
Son of a gun that looks great... Bob was trying to talk us into doing some, and we passed. Maybe I should've considered it a little more before passing

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Looks great! EVA foam has become the standard in wake boats and it's nice to see it put to use in custom applications. I've become a huge fan. Super soft, lightweight, easy to clean and no funky smells :thumbup:

As to the heat question for the brutal AZ summers, quality EVA foam gets warm on the surface but does not retain heat like carpet would. When you 1st touch it, it will be warm/hot depending on the color but only for a second and won't continue burning your feet.

Watch out for cheap versions which look similar but are made of vinyl/rubber material. These will burn the crap out of you if left in direct sunlight and they tend to shrink in extreme heat exposing adhesive around the edges.

-Zack

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
The family summer home has steps going into the water and the bottom step is usually submerged in water and the next couple get wet from the waves. They are constantly slick with algee. Would this gator step work for this??? Thanks!!!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Looks great! EVA foam has become the standard in wake boats and it's nice to see it put to use in custom applications. I've become a huge fan. Super soft, lightweight, easy to clean and no funky smells :thumbup:

As to the heat question for the brutal AZ summers, quality EVA foam gets warm on the surface but does not retain heat like carpet would. When you 1st touch it, it will be warm/hot depending on the color but only for a second and won't continue burning your feet.

Watch out for cheap versions which look similar but are made of vinyl/rubber material. These will burn the crap out of you if left in direct sunlight and they tend to shrink in extreme heat exposing adhesive around the edges.

-Zack

What are the cheap versions or what are the good ones?

Boat Bling

Reaction score
What are the cheap versions or what are the good ones?

SeaDek and Gatorstep are both excellent EVA foam products. There may be others but those are the ones I have experience with. Both have their sales points which can be debated by their respective reps. My understanding is the biggest difference between the two is in their adhesive backing. Cheap versions are not made of EVA foam. They may look similar but are typically heavier, are much less soft, and the biggest issue for us out here in the desert, they get super hot in the sun...as in blister hot :eek

An off-brand version was installed on a friend's swim platform at the factory. Looks good but is useless in mid summer until water is splashed onto it. That boat mfg has since moved to Gator Step on all pads and offers it in lieu of carpet as a factory option.

-Zack

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Look great!!
Does Bob stock the kit?

Its custom for every boat. But there already is a template for the 22 and 28 decks. Its roughly a 2-3 week turnaround time

BigMike

Reaction score
Its custom for every boat. But there already is a template for the 22 and 28 decks. Its roughly a 2-3 week turnaround time

The template for the 28 is getting tweaked right now. Since my boat was the first, some of the areas needed to be adjusted. But TJ, I think that's his name, from Gator Step went out to my house in Bullhead and took measurements and is working on fixing the template and making new pieces for my boat. Once he is all done and the pieces installed, I will take pics and post them up. But, even with the few minor tweaks that need to be made, we are extremely happy with the product so far and love the new look.

Sbarry, how wide is the swim step on the back of your new 22 and is the gator step one piece? TJ said that the rear swim step on the 28 is too wide to make that piece a 1 piece, so they cut the piece in half. They told me that the widest their machine could go is 83 inches...

jesco

Reaction score
The template for the 28 is getting tweaked right now. Since my boat was the first, some of the areas needed to be adjusted. But TJ, I think that's his name, from Gator Step went out to my house in Bullhead and took measurements and is working on fixing the template and making new pieces for my boat. Once he is all done and the pieces installed, I will take pics and post them up. But, even with the few minor tweaks that need to be made, we are extremely happy with the product so far and love the new look.

Sbarry, how wide is the swim step on the back of your new 22 and is the gator step one piece? TJ said that the rear swim step on the 28 is too wide to make that piece a 1 piece, so they cut the piece in half. They told me that the widest their machine could go is 83 inches...

Hmmmmm, I could be wrong, but I swear Bob told me the 22 swim step is the same as the 28..... and my Gator Step on the swim step is one piece. Check with Bob and see.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I was just curious for an update on your gatorstep. How has it held up? I’m thinking of doing it to my new to me 22 Deck. What’s your thoughts on leaving it off the front platform?

Thanks brother.

CobraDave with a Shockwave!

Riley1

Reaction score
6D73265E-5E1C-455B-8EA5-900F8696EE6F.jpeg I had gatorstep installed this winter and this happened first trip out. Haven’t assigned blame or cause yet.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
View attachment 638146 I had gatorstep installed this winter and this happened first trip out. Haven’t assigned blame or cause yet.

Was that over non-skid by chance? That happened to my swim step. Poked a tiny hole with a push pin to bleed the air and it hasn’t popped back up.

CobraDave

Reaction score
View attachment 638146 I had gatorstep installed this winter and this happened first trip out. Haven’t assigned blame or cause yet.

O shit!!! Did you do the install? I was thinking of doing it myself but might be nice to have a shop warranty something like that

Riley1

Reaction score
O shit!!! Did you do the install? I was thinking of doing it myself but might be nice to have a shop warranty something like that

I did not. And have not spoken with the shop yet.
Just happened last weekend.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I was also thinking of just doing a nice thick quality carpet.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hey Riley any update on the fix of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just poke a small hole and push the air out. It’s common on new installs. It’s air expanding underneath.

Because it’s a foam you will never see the hole.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Use a hypodermic needle and draw the air out as well, saves from possibly pushing the air to another area.

Riley1

Reaction score
Hey Riley any update on the fix of this?

You just poke a small hole and push the air out. It’s common on new installs. It’s air expanding underneath.

Because it’s a foam you will never see the hole.

That is what I did. Swim step is much better than before with the non-skid.

manxman

Reaction score
I bought and sold a wake boat last season and installed eva foam myself for about $300. Not the best install, but it was my first time. I wont buy the lined stuff again! I need to learn what router bits work, so I can mill my own patterns.
20180613_185237.jpg
20180613_185300.jpg
20180614_193943.jpg

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
I installed mine myself a few weekends ago on my 22. Have 2 trips on it and so far so good.
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
I installed mine myself a few weekends ago on my 22. Have 2 trips on it and so far so good.

Looks great! I just sent my swim step template in 2 weeks ago and finally received my digital proof today. What is the recommended surface prep prior to install? Any installation pointers or is it basically just peel and stick?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Looks great! I just sent my swim step template in 2 weeks ago and finally received my digital proof today. What is the recommended surface prep prior to install? Any installation pointers or is it basically just peel and stick?
It’ll come with instructions. I just did on my trailer, got all the goo from the double sided tape off then cleaned with goof off, then rubbing alcohol. Then i did their suggested method of glass cleaner with ammonia in it prior to sticking it. Turned out great in my opinion.
61496C42-9D84-4206-8425-B07E22E7E0B9.jpeg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I need to do this with the back step of my Cobalt. Its kind of funky at the moment.

CobraDave

Reaction score

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I just ordered some samples from gatorstep and sea dek. What did the kit cost and who did you go through? Was the install pretty easy?

Dave have bob do it at shockwave!

Im going on two years with my gatorstep and I cannot say enough good things about it. Absolutely love the stuff!

CobraDave

Reaction score
Yeah I gave it a season without but I think I want it in there. I wonder what he would charge to install. I’m going to bring the boat home in June or July and will get it done then. I’m going to buy the kit ahead of time. I’m just trying to decide between sea dek and gator step. The quote I just got put them between $100 of each other.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Yeah I gave it a season without but I think I want it in there. I wonder what he would charge to install. I’m going to bring the boat home in June or July and will get it done then. I’m going to buy the kit ahead of time. I’m just trying to decide between sea dek and gator step. The quote I just got put them between $100 of each other.

just got off phone with bob....same price as the manufacturer and will install for 150 on the 22 deck! tell him Marcus Jones Sent ya

CobraDave

Reaction score
I’m thinking of this pattern. What does everyone think? Not too busy?
IMG_7076.jpg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I want to see about them making a replacement piece for my swim steps. Think it’d be bad ass, just sent Gatorstep the info so we will see.
325E7A2C-6089-4B1E-8876-DC6ABCFC2A43.jpeg