WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is “too early” for boat start-up on the Parker Strip?

cofooter

Reaction score
I realize there's a world of difference between my old flattie and that bad ass blown hemi powered wood deck beauty, but I wish I could have hung on to my 428 FE powered Howard. This was in '02, my youngest who's in between my wife and I is 23 now, and our son has 2 kids of his own.

Only thing I didn't like about the Howard was the white gauges, they ruined the vintage look of the boat but, I never broke into my stash of NOS SW gauges to change them.

View attachment 744112 View attachment 744113
Bitchen!!!!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I realize there's a world of difference between my old flattie and that bad ass blown hemi powered wood deck beauty, but I wish I could have hung on to my 428 FE powered Howard. This was in '02, my youngest who's in between my wife and I is 23 now, and our son has 2 kids of his own.

Only thing I didn't like about the Howard was the white gauges, they ruined the vintage look of the boat but, I never broke into my stash of NOS SW gauges to change them.

View attachment 744112 View attachment 744113
It’s hard to beat a 428 powered vintage flatty! I’m diggin it!!

1homeblown

Reaction score
I might have to bring t

I might have to bring the memory card over so you can copy the files.
Do you have a computer with you?
e

Dang I wish I could have read this earlier. I get such poor, hit/miss service at the river pad...[emoji36]
I didn’t have a computer there. Just my phone. I’d love to see some of the pictures Wheeler! I’ll PM you my email address and maybe you can send some that way. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1homeblown

Reaction score
So is the boat working well? Can you hammer it at 80 and get all the way off the down pedal? I'm trying to remember, but didn't you step up the gear quite a bit?

So I still consider myself very green at this and want to respect the horsepower and set-up I have. It now has a 43 gear in it. With that being said, in my rookie opinion and almost zero experience in a vdrive, I’m not ready to hammer it at 80 yet....here’s why not and I’m hoping for some enlightenment....

It doesn’t feel like it has enough plate. I started the plate “neutral” with the bottom of the boat.

I also think I need to cut down the turn-fin substantially. It tries to bow-steer a little. Not terribly but it’s certainly there.

I’ve also tensioned the steering cables 5 times. Although this last trip it didn’t seem to need as much adjustment as the previous trips. I keep them pretty tight and pay a lot of attention to them.

It may need a bigger or “more tube” pick-up for the water-pump. It seemed it wasn’t always consistently coming out of the dump. Never got temp above 160 though so it never got hot.

Any insight would be great. The boat is getting closer every time I drive it....BUT, I’m pretty sure a lot of it has to do with my slow learning curve of getting comfortable with something that can bite me in the ass really quickly.

Cheers!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Im having issu
Dang I wish I could have read this earlier. I get such poor, hit/miss service at the river pad...[emoji36]
I didn’t have a computer there. Just my phone. I’d love to see some of the pictures Wheeler! I’ll PM you my email address and maybe you can send some that way. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Im having issues with the internet I'll post em up when the problems are fixed.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
So I still consider myself very green at this and want to respect the horsepower and set-up I have. It now has a 43 gear in it. With that being said, in my rookie opinion and almost zero experience in a vdrive, I’m not ready to hammer it at 80 yet....here’s why not and I’m hoping for some enlightenment....

It doesn’t feel like it has enough plate. I started the plate “neutral” with the bottom of the boat.

I also think I need to cut down the turn-fin substantially. It tries to bow-steer a little. Not terribly but it’s certainly there.

I’ve also tensioned the steering cables 5 times. Although this last trip it didn’t seem to need as much adjustment as the previous trips. I keep them pretty tight and pay a lot of attention to them.

It may need a bigger or “more tube” pick-up for the water-pump. It seemed it wasn’t always consistently coming out of the dump. Never got temp above 160 though so it never got hot.

Any insight would be great. The boat is getting closer every time I drive it....BUT, I’m pretty sure a lot of it has to do with my slow learning curve of getting comfortable with something that can bite me in the ass really quickly.

Cheers!

I have to lol at the “doesn't feel like it has enough plate” comment. A lot of power makes them feel that way. I have zero seat time in a Schiada flat, but thanks to Don Due we know the hulls are good well above 100. It would be nice to know what his set up and prop preferances were.

With the B boats you need to stay deep in the down until you’re at a decent clip before letting them fly and that takes some balls the first time. The really good drivers get off the plate super early and make it work. Don’t ask me how they do that.

I suggested earlier in the thread to see if you could get nrbr to shake her down for you because if the boats right, you can focus on your driving alone without the worry of second guessing plate settings, props and water conditions. Dennis could be very helpful to you in this regard plus he has a lot of overall knowledge.

As far as plates go, you’ll want somewhere around 1 1/2” of downward movement. In a B boat you don’t want to have those plates down too far when your haulin ass. It’ll bow steer and feel like it wants to flip. We usually set the plates above the bottom to compliment the rocker and gull the plates for air to escape. I would be doing this to your boat too if it were mine or at least try it.

Some guys are really good at making a boat work which generally comes from experience. Billy B is one of those guys. If you can’t get it close on your own I suggest you seek his help. Be careful whatever you do!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The bow steer, turn fin, not enough plate comments make me think you’re running too much plate already. Keeping the steering tight is important also, if not it will want to turn when you launch it. It should be hard to turn the wheel, that will help keep you straight. If you have the plate down while decelerating you’re going to have bow steer. More plate, more bow steer. You gotta lift the plate when you lift off the accelerator pedal. The turn fin shouldn’t have a negative effect, too little turn fin and you could spin it turning.

Just my opinions from what Im reading in your posts.

Vdrives are a learning curve for sure, sounds like you are respecting it. [emoji106]

1homeblown

Reaction score
I have to lol at the “doesn't feel like it has enough plate” comment. A lot of power makes them feel that way. I have zero seat time in a Schiada flat, but thanks to Don Due we know the hulls are good well above 100. It would be nice to know what his set up and prop preferances were.

With the B boats you need to stay deep in the down until you’re at a decent clip before letting them fly and that takes some balls the first time. The really good drivers get off the plate super early and make it work. Don’t ask me how they do that.

I suggested earlier in the thread to see if you could get nrbr to shake her down for you because if the boats right, you can focus on your driving alone without the worry of second guessing plate settings, props and water conditions. Dennis could be very helpful to you in this regard plus he has a lot of overall knowledge.

As far as plates go, you’ll want somewhere around 1 1/2” of downward movement. In a B boat you don’t want to have those plates down too far when your haulin ass. It’ll bow steer and feel like it wants to flip. We usually set the plates above the bottom to compliment the rocker and gull the plates for air to escape. I would be doing this to your boat too if it were mine or at least try it.

Some guys are really good at making a boat work which generally comes from experience. Billy B is one of those guys. If you can’t get it close on your own I suggest you seek his help. Be careful whatever you do!

That’s the kind of information that I’m looking for Jerry. That’s the kind of info I’ll for sure try that plate set-up before cutting anything down. I’ll also stay in the down a while longer as well. Looking back at what I can remember, I was coming off the pedal super early.

As far as letting someone shake it down...
It’s hard to throw someone the keys to your baby but I’m about ready to do it. I just want to be absolutely certain that the boat is safe for anyone behind the pedals. In particular I want to make certain the cables won’t stretch anymore.

I’ll get the plates up and gulled a bit and try and let my balls drop next time it’s out. [emoji16] It wants to climb past 80 in a BIG hurry. Thanks again Jerry. The insight is what rookies like myself need. [emoji1303]

woodagain

Reaction score
Did you think 18 ft boats were small back in the 60's-70's? I bet you didn't? It's not that they're small, it's that everything is huge now. People are soft these days and put comfort over excitement. :)

View attachment 744007

IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG

I make it a rule that I never own a boat that I can't touch the water from the drivers seat ! I love this thread !

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

[emoji1305]

brgrcru

Reaction score
1homeblown
This my .02
Just make sure you do one adjustment at a time . Run it And see if that helped .

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
That’s the kind of information that I’m looking for Jerry. That’s the kind of info I’ll for sure try that plate set-up before cutting anything down. I’ll also stay in the down a while longer as well. Looking back at what I can remember, I was coming off the pedal super early.

As far as letting someone shake it down...
It’s hard to throw someone the keys to your baby but I’m about ready to do it. I just want to be absolutely certain that the boat is safe for anyone behind the pedals. In particular I want to make certain the cables won’t stretch anymore.

I’ll get the plates up and gulled a bit and try and let my balls drop next time it’s out. [emoji16] It wants to climb past 80 in a BIG hurry. Thanks again Jerry. The insight is what rookies like myself need. [emoji1303]

When you're trying to wrestle 1000+ hp in a 2000lb boat you learn to respect it immediately. Not many vehicles on the planet have that kind of power to weight ratio. As DKahn put it - the power is intoxicating! I agree!

Coming off the down too soon is only good for one thing.... great photos! lol

Utilizing an experienced driver (imo) is a safer path. If the boat doesn't feel right they will sense it and return to the beach and advise on corrections. You may or may not recognize possible danger signs.

Plates can be above the bottom anywhere from 3/8th to 5/8ths in the center and a pronounced gull or single arch air relief depending on type of hull. One corner of the plate is often set a tad lower based on prop direction. There's a chance none of this will work well on your hull.

If you know the Harper family, they might be good to talk to. They had a blown Schiada flat that went pretty fast, but It did get squirrly once in a while. If you haven't seen it go to 2:44 here.

1homeblown

Reaction score
When you're trying to wrestle 1000+ hp in a 2000lb boat you learn to respect it immediately. Not many vehicles on the planet have that kind of power to weight ratio. As DKahn put it - the power is intoxicating! I agree!

Coming off the down too soon is only good for one thing.... great photos! lol

Utilizing an experienced driver (imo) is a safer path. If the boat doesn't feel right they will sense it and return to the beach and advise on corrections. You may or may not recognize possible danger signs.

Plates can be above the bottom anywhere from 3/8th to 5/8ths in the center and a pronounced gull or single arch air relief depending on type of hull. One corner of the plate is often set a tad lower based on prop direction. There's a chance none of this will work well on your hull.

If you know the Harper family, they might be good to talk to. They had a blown Schiada flat that went pretty fast, but It did get squirrly once in a while. If you haven't seen it go to 2:44 here.

Thanks Jerry. I’ve seen that video more than a dozen times and now I’ll probably watch it another dozen. [emoji1303]

Wheeler

Reaction score
This is the best I could do at the moment with my 180 dollar camera and 25 dollar lens. o_O

If it weren't for Ponstar and his internet deals, I'd still be shooting photos with my flip phone. :D

IMG_6662.JPG
IMG_6663.JPG
IMG_6664.JPG
IMG_6665.JPG
IMG_6666.JPG
IMG_6667.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6669.JPG
IMG_6670.JPG
IMG_6671.JPG
IMG_6672.JPG
IMG_6673.JPG
IMG_6674.JPG
IMG_6675.JPG
IMG_6676.JPG
IMG_6677.JPG
IMG_6678.JPG
IMG_6679.JPG
IMG_6680.JPG
IMG_6681.JPG
IMG_6696.JPG
IMG_6697.JPG
IMG_6698.JPG
IMG_6699.JPG
IMG_6700.JPG
IMG_6703.JPG
IMG_6704.JPG
IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG
IMG_6707.JPG

Wheeler

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures Wheeler! It was nice meeting you putting a face to a name. [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

You are very welcome and it was nice to meet you and your crew!

Next time you are out plan on morning runs when the light is best and I'll shoot in a larger format.

I'll save the pix for you and you can crop 'em or do what you want with them.

IMG_6722 - Edited.jpg

1homeblown

Reaction score
You are very welcome and it was nice to meet you and your crew!

Next time you are out plan on morning runs when the light is best and I'll shoot in a larger format.

I'll save the pix for you and you can crop 'em or do what you want with them.

View attachment 744443

7:00 is the perfect time [emoji16]
I will keep you posted for sure. Hopefully there’ll be some other flats out there making some wake up calls until I get back!

[emoji1303]

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Beautiful boat!!! Great pics...It looks like it goes straight judging by your hands on the wheel.

1homeblown

Reaction score
Beautiful boat!!! Great pics...It looks like it goes straight judging by your hands on the wheel.

Thanks. I think it’s close to being “right”. Fine tuning and a LOT more seat time are what’s needed!

1homeblown

Reaction score
The boat looks perfectly set in a couple of those photos! :cool:

Thanks Jerry. It felt “good” to me a handful of times. That’s what I’m learning. When it feels good and when you stay with the throttle and/or accelerate when you’ve crossed that “comfortable” threshold to that point where it’s thrilling. It’s more seat time and more education from the ones who have had the experiences and can share their experience with those of us who have the opportunity to drive something like these. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

brgrcru

Reaction score
Our Cole, takes me always a few laps before I start feeling , like I know, what I think, I'm doing again. pedaling a flat.:D
Glad I only have around 600 hp to play with . :)

the Cp , its get in, sit down , shut up, point and shoot. :cool:

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Steve you may have an animal in your stable...in other words, That's one hell of a stallion to make perfect. I would guess your motor at say 950-1100 HP in a sixties style flatbottom..(no strakes and not air entrapment)...this makes for a handful. I guess what I'm trying to say is this...you got it pretty damn good..and now its a matter of drivability..if this makes sense. Put a pro in it if one will accept the 8 second challenge...and let them help you...but I still believe it will stay somewhat unpredictable...considering the water conditions we have to live with today..

1homeblown

Reaction score
Steve you may have an animal in your stable...in other words, That's one hell of a stallion to make perfect. I would guess your motor at say 950-1100 HP in a sixties style flatbottom..(no strakes and not air entrapment)...this makes for a handful. I guess what I'm trying to say is this...you got it pretty damn good..and now its a matter of drivability..if this makes sense. Put a pro in it if one will accept the 8 second challenge...and let them help you...but I still believe it will stay somewhat unpredictable...considering the water conditions we have to live with today..

Well said RCL. I knew when I started restoring it that it’s not in the same ballpark either competitively or sought after by most people. It is absolutely MY diamond in the rough. I know it’ll never act like a Biesemeyer on a hot lap or a Cole runnerbottom in a 1000’. What I knew then and know now is that I wanted to build a respectable Parker Strip hot rod. I’m proud of it. I think it’s beautiful and I think my Pops is proud of what I’ve put into it. I’ve never had it dyno’d and had very little desire to see it make a certain “number”. I knew it’d make around 1K and that it would be overkill for a Schiada true flat/family dragboat/wannabe circle-boat that has a driver with ZERO experience in a v-drive flatbottom. With that being said, it’s a kick in the pants every time I drive it. and every and every time someone throws me a thumbs-up or a head nod or even the bird...it makes me smile.

I will be seeking some advice in the future. Like I told Jerry...it’s hard to throw the keys to your baby to someone you know is going to flog it. But I’m becoming more and more aware that it should be done so it will keep me safe with the information that is gathered from it.

I appreciate the info you’ve shared with me as well over the years. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I love the boat...it is exactly what you wanted...and you did it. FANTASTIC...and if you never put anybody else behind the wheel...That's perfect too. You are creepin up on it and you show true respect for it...If you were 20 I would worry...but you know exactly what you got...One bitchen ride.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
They aren't really going to drive it harder than you do/will....

I will be seeking some advice in the future. Like I told Jerry...it’s hard to throw the keys to your baby to someone you know is going to flog it. But I’m becoming more and more aware that it should be done so it will keep me safe with the information that is gathered from it.

I appreciate the info you’ve shared with me as well over the years. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Ive never had an issue turning the keys over to someone, who could afford to fix it, had as nice of stuff, or nicer, as I did, or could drive waaaaay over my head. ;)

BajaMike

Reaction score
Longest thread in a while....haven’t read any of it.

1homeblown

Reaction score
They aren't really going to drive it harder than you do/will....

Not that I’d ASK them flog it?.... but at the same time I would have to concede to it somewhat if that makes any sense.
I know that if I were to drive something to it’s ability that I did not own, I’d want to go over it with the owner on the ramp for a while before hopping into it. Where are the plates set, what prop, what gear, testing steering cables. Kinda like a tech inspection I guess... but then how hard does one need to drive it to get a feel for its capabilities?...

like I said...I’m a noob and jumped in with both feet. [emoji16][emoji1303]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
.....anyone that knows what they are doing is going to ask all those questions. ;)

Not that I’d ASK them flog it?.... but at the same time I would have to concede to it somewhat if that makes any sense.
I know that if I were to drive something to it’s ability that I did not own, I’d want to go over it with the owner on the ramp for a while before hopping into it. Where are the plates set, what prop, what gear, testing steering cables. Kinda like a tech inspection I guess... but then how hard does one need to drive it to get a feel for its capabilities?...

like I said...I’m a noob and jumped in with both feet. [emoji16][emoji1303]